Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2019, 13:35   #7261
BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Hi All,

I need some inputs about a UPS.

I recently got a 2kVA pure sine wave UPS from a company in Coimbatore called Kondaas. The UPS is rated for 1400W of load. The peak load in the UPS circuit at home is about 1200W, but under normal use case, the load would be around 600W.

Everything works fine except for one issue. When the grid supply is off and the loads are powered by the UPS, if I turn on the TV or the home theater system (a 5.1 Denon system with a subwoofer), the UPS trips. TV and home theater draw a combined power of 180W. I measured the in rush current during turn on, and it is about 8A each for the TV and home theater. This is almost 1.6kW of in rush power requirement.

Now my questions:

1. Is there any 2kVA pure sine wave UPS that can take 150% overload for a few hundred milliseconds?
2. Does anyone have a similar experience of UPS tripping when turning on electronic loads that have SMPS power supply inside? If yes, did you find a solution?
3. I have an idea that if I can find a soft start circuit that can limit in rush current, this tripping problem can be solved. Has anyone used such a soft start circuit?
I have an idea which may or may not work in your case. When we had CRT TVs and Monitors in the distant past and where we had to connect them to the UPS all at the same time, some times, the 3 KVA UPS used to trip because of the momentary overload from the degausser circuitry in each of these CRT monitors/TVs. We disconnected the degausser circuit temporarily but ended up with horrible color cast. So we came up with an idea:
Add a 300 W flood light tungsten bulb in series with each offending monitors. The initial surge would be reduced to that of the 300 W and the bulb would light momentarily. But no tripping now. Under normal circumstances as the original load is several times less than the series connected bulb, the load will face a few volts drop - nothing to crib about.

The only issue is the cost of adding the 300 W or higher rated bulb in your case. You may need to size the bulb as per your actual load.
Old 5th August 2019, 13:42   #7262
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

Everything works fine except for one issue. When the grid supply is off and the loads are powered by the UPS, if I turn on the TV or the home theater system (a 5.1 Denon system with a subwoofer), the UPS trips. TV and home theater draw a combined power of 180W. I measured the in rush current during turn on, and it is about 8A each for the TV and home theater. This is almost 1.6kW of in rush power requirement.

The problem occurs only during cold start of the TV or home theater when the backup power is already on.
Can you check adding a voltage stabilizer between the power supply and the DENON? I faced a similar problem with my TV and 1000VA APC UPS. In fact it used to happen even during warm switches to UPS power. I added a voltage stabilizer and a spike buster to protect the TV from surges that started occurring frequently in my locality and the tripping problem got solved!

Maybe worth a shot if you have a stabilizer of the rated output already available in home.

Last edited by Aditya : 18th August 2019 at 17:37. Reason: Typo
Old 5th August 2019, 15:33   #7263
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
I have an idea which may or may not work in your case.
The only issue is the cost of adding the 300 W or higher rated bulb in your case. You may need to size the bulb as per your actual load.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Can you check adding a voltage stabilizer between he power supply and the DENON?
Maybe worth a shot if you have a stabilizer of the rated output already available in home.
Thanks a ton, Prowler and sagarpadaki. These are awesome ideas. I will give these a try soon and update.
Old 6th August 2019, 16:32   #7264
Senior - BHPian

Guys I need suggestions on a new 750W Mixer grinder. Any particular brand to go for ? Philips is kind of like Maruti, just about ok with decent availability of spares for repair.
Other than philips how are
Morphy Richards (not so good experience with irons)
Tefal
Borosil
Crompton
Bajaj
Havells
Panasonic (quite a bit more expensive)
Old 6th August 2019, 18:38   #7265
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
Guys I need suggestions on a new 750W Mixer grinder. Any particular brand to go for ? ... ... ...
We have a Prestige. I'm glad to say that we have been able to get spares for it, but I wish I had bought one of the "more Indian" brands from a shop, where you see the spares stacked up on the shelf!
Old 6th August 2019, 18:47   #7266
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys I need suggestions on a new 750W Mixer grinder
Any talk about mixer grinders that excludes Preethi would be incomplete. Purchase any of its Blue Life models and you will not go wrong. That said, Panasonic also offers sturdy and long lasting models; good blades, push buttons and unique jar locking mechanisms distinguish them from others.

No affiliations!
Old 7th August 2019, 06:49   #7267
Senior - BHPian

We got the first Panasonic when it was launched a decade back, nothing seems to go wrong with this. There was a marriage in the family so I gifted this model that comes in premium Gold. It's expensive, certainly, but very reliable. Needless to say, feedback is excellent, from the 'giftee'. LOL
Quote:
Guys I need suggestions on a new 750W Mixer grinder.
Attached Thumbnails
The Home Appliance thread-screen-shot-20190807-6.30.02-am.png  

Old 7th August 2019, 08:59   #7268
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys I need suggestions on a new 750W Mixer grinder. Any particular brand to go for ? Philips is kind of like Maruti, just about ok with decent availability of spares for repair.
Other than philips how are
Morphy Richards (not so good experience with irons)
Tefal
Borosil
Crompton
Bajaj
Havells
Panasonic (quite a bit more expensive)
Once you try Preethi mixers you wont look for other brands, tough and reliable. No other brands come closer.
Old 7th August 2019, 10:10   #7269
Senior - BHPian

Surprised that no one mentioned SUJATA. We have their Dynamix DX 900 model and it is awesome.
Old 7th August 2019, 10:18   #7270
BHPian

We have found Preethi to be extremely loud and bordering on damage to hearing. Shifted back to Philips this year only due to the noise.
We also have a Kenwood, purchased abroad, that is a food processor and extremely gentle on the ears. The Mrs uses that when she cooks and does not give it to the help.
Old 7th August 2019, 10:51   #7271
BHPian

Quote:
Guys I need suggestions on a new 750W Mixer grinder. Any particular brand to go for ?
If there is good presence of Elgi Ultra in your city, then I would suggest you look at Elgi Ultra Duramix as well. Very nice mixers and build quality is superior. They come with metal couplers in jar and motor, SS body and many more.
Old 7th August 2019, 14:43   #7272
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll look into it and report back
Old 8th August 2019, 14:34   #7273
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

My washing machine has started giving a very mild shock when I touch the soap compartment (it's plastic!).

Where can the problem be? In the washing machine or in the electrical plug point where it is attached? It's a regular 3 pin plug - so I assume it's earthed & shouldn't give a shock.
Old 8th August 2019, 16:16   #7274
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
My washing machine has started giving a very mild shock when I touch the soap compartment (it's plastic!).

Where can the problem be? In the washing machine or in the electrical plug point where it is attached? It's a regular 3 pin plug - so I assume it's earthed & shouldn't give a shock.
My first suspect would be the plug point. Either the earth has become weak or disconnected, or the neutral has a lose connection. Have the plug point checked first.
Old 8th August 2019, 16:33   #7275
BANNED

Quote:
My first suspect would be the plug point. Either the earth has become weak or disconnected, or the neutral has a lose connection. Have the plug point checked first.
Shouldn't the MCB trip?

Most Viewed