Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2019, 22:52   #7411
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

We called out Bosch service when the circuit with our washing machine on it was perpetually tripping the breaker. The service guy, mostly on the basis of diagnostic codes (he wasn't even going to take the top off the machine, but I asked him to) said the washing machine was absolutely ok.

I was sceptical. He was right! Our electrician found a short on another part of the circuit.

One point to Bosch!
Old 1st November 2019, 00:37   #7412
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat View Post
...snip....or trust some select types (like Saket's washing machine, although my IFB of the same vintage hasn't quit yet :-))!
Actually Bosch washer is very new to me to actually put up a review. What I wrote was my initial impression. And as a negative point, I would reiterate that the program controller knob feels feeble and vague to operate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Do you have any personal experience with Panasonic products gone bad? I have picked up a lot of Panasonic stuff and they last years. Most of it is imported from Malaysia, they global supply hub. (In fact, their microwave is the best you an get anywhere)
I like them too. Got a bottom freezer refrigerator when those were not too common in the Indian household about 8 years ago and it has been really trouble free. Good build quality too.

In fact I’ve a soft corner for Panasonic because of the technics brand turntables they produced back in the day. One of the best ones to have. Though this may not be relevant today!
Old 1st November 2019, 02:49   #7413
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
I got the Bosch WAK24268IN finally.
(https://www.amazon.in/Bosch-Fully-Au...2427364&sr=8-2)
We have been using the below model for a year and a half, and I must say it was INR 32,000 well spent.

Bought from Reliance Digital after going through all known retailers including BOSCH's own outlet in Jayanagar 4th block.

I am yet to begin my so-called research, but plan to have a good look at BOSCH when it's time to shop for a new refrigerator.
Attached Thumbnails
The Home Appliance thread-1572556768622.jpg  

Old 1st November 2019, 05:53   #7414
BHPian

Quote:
Do you have any personal experience with Panasonic products gone bad? I have picked up a lot of Panasonic stuff and they last years. Most of it is imported from Malaysia, they global supply hub. (In fact, their microwave is the best you an get anywhere)

You need to make a basic distinction here: the Panasonic products (from Malaysia) were likely their global products, and not their India-spec products that I was referring to!

Yes, I do have personal experience with such products, -- like the mass-market audio products they used to sell in India (do they any more? I don't know, and don't care)! Or look at the 'Anchor' brand they have acquired in India. We have old Anchor switches/sockets running for decades in our household, -- but just look at the quality of Anchor products nowadays! Market dynamics, you say? Or even consider their cheap (in every sense of the word) carbon-zinc cells ('Novino' re-branded to 'Panasonic'), -- just as bad now as comparable products from their competitors!

On the other hand, I'm very happy with my 'National' branded mixer-grinder! I've experienced excellent Panasonic global products too (including their sub brands, e.g. 'Technics'). And shoddy Panasonic branded NiCads sold in the USA, all of which died within 2-3 years when the competing 'CadNica' from Sanyo lasted for more than a decade! So Panasonic wised up, and acquired Sanyo, and ended up having superb battery products now, -- just not for India!

The point I'm trying to make is that Panasonic don't seem to care about their own brand value, -- they are quite happy marketing products those are 'excellent' all the way down to 'shoddy', as long as they can sell them! As a consequence, I can't ever think of buying a Panasonic product with my eyes closed! --- Such trustworthy brands do still exist!

About Samsonite, -- I have several of their suitcases purchased in the USA, and one bought in India (at a much higher price), and can compare their quality side-by-side! I haven't purchased any more of their Indian products.

Last edited by meerkat : 1st November 2019 at 05:58.
Old 1st November 2019, 07:51   #7415
Senior - BHPian

That 4th block outlet is good (now with new interiors), but charges a premium. Just head to Devi International in Jayanagar with the model name, and the pricing will surprise you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety is Param View Post
Bought from Reliance Digital after going through all known retailers including BOSCH's own outlet in Jayanagar 4th block.
Old 1st November 2019, 08:02   #7416
Senior - BHPian

There was a time when 'National' tape recorders were a rage. They still refuse to die. But later on their Panasonic brand audio was hardly appealing, so was a dud. I dont know of anyone who uses their home theatre units or headphones. So you maybe right there. I'm talking microwave, Washing Machine, Fridge - few of these things don't give up. When Panasonic first launched their single door fridge, it was localised from Videocon - but still offered good quality. Anchor Switch was an acquisition, so that's slid in quality - perhaps. Novino was always 'leaky bad'. Lol. Sanyo Ni-Cad products Eneloop are really good, I use them till date.
Quote:
On the other hand, I'm very happy with my 'National' branded mixer-grinder! I've experienced excellent Panasonic global products too (including their sub brands, e.g. 'Technics'). And shoddy Panasonic branded NiCads sold in the USA, all of which died within 2-3 years when the competing 'CadNica' from Sanyo lasted for more than a decade! So Panasonic wised up, and acquired Sanyo, and ended up having superb battery products now, -- just not for India!
Old 2nd November 2019, 15:37   #7417
Senior - BHPian

I'm also a fan of Panasonic products. Recently picked up their mixer grinder and it's great. Using a 5 year old Panasonic LED TV and before that I had a Panasonic plasma which also lasted almost a decade. Have used Various Panasonic products over the years. Our office also has a Panasonic AC which sees some abuse due to the conditions yet works brilliantly.

I actually feel that Anchor switches have gone up in quality again. Original was great then it became bad just before and after Panasonic bought them and now it has improved again.

Disclaimer : This is an unbiased opinion even though I'm the importer for Panasonic Dental products now after they were bought over by the Jap company I work with. They have a very nice and interesting product that none of the other companies in this saturated field do.
Old 3rd November 2019, 01:34   #7418
BHPian

Quote:
I'm talking microwave, Washing Machine, Fridge - few of these things don't give up. When Panasonic first launched their single door fridge, it was localised from Videocon - but still offered good quality.
Just few days back we bought Panasonic 340 liter refrigerator (ulta) having freezer at bottom. I checked behind the compressor is made in Singapore. Earlier Videocon 170 liter double door frost free lasted 26 years and was still working without problem. Only thing changed in these 26 years was thermostat once and light bulb couple of times. Interestingly when the seller took it away I checked the compressor was made in Singapore. Someone earlier had told me that Videocon just rebadged the original Japanese. There was just a nameplate Videocon pasted on top freezer door.
We are also using Panasonic blender (not hand-blender) with pot for mixing dough or cake batter for last 3-4 years. It is low powered I think just 200 W. We use it only occasionally. It was priced similar to Philips and other brands. It has 2 blades and has base on which it can be tilted. It is of good quality.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 14th January 2020 at 20:05. Reason: Fixed typos.
Old 3rd November 2019, 07:49   #7419
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
I actually feel that Anchor switches have gone up in quality again. Original was great then it became bad just before and after Panasonic bought them and now it has improved again.

Not in my experience! I'd purchased a few odd Anchor items in the past few months based on my trust on the brand (as I'd said, many Anchor fittings have been running fine for decades in our household), -- the quality certainly has deteriorated a lot. For example, a plug top that I was able to compare side-by-side with an identical 'Anchor' model purchased some 15 years back!

I'd been in the market recently for electrical fittings for my new apartment, and looked at the quality of 'Anchor' products too, amongst others. Wasn't impressed by what I saw, and decided against the brand. I believe Panasonic have decided to make 'Anchor' their budget line, and have purposely brought down the quality. For example, they now market two lines of fans, -- 'Anchor' (cheap quality) and 'Panasonic' (more expensive). I may yet have a look at the 'Panasonic' line with the hope that Panasonic themselves have established the quality floor with their 'Anchor' line, and so I could expect a minimum quality with the 'Panasonic' one now! Sadly, there is no such floor with some of their other 'Panasonic' branded products in India (e.g. their carbon-zinc cells)!
Old 3rd November 2019, 11:36   #7420
Senior - BHPian

We have some original Panasonic ceiling fans. These are made in japan, Using comfortably for 5 years now. Long, wide blades - so the air throw is just awesome.
Quote:
For example, they now market two lines of fans, -- 'Anchor' (cheap quality) and 'Panasonic' (more expensive). I may yet have a look at the 'Panasonic' line with the hope that Panasonic themselves have established the quality floor with their 'Anchor' line, and so I could expect a minimum quality with the 'Panasonic' one now
Old 3rd November 2019, 17:05   #7421
Distinguished - BHPian

The old-fashioned Anchor fittings seem to last for many years. Is that range still available? Had the quality changed?

My house has MK modular switching and sockets. This is a brand that, in my native Britain, can be fitted for a lifetime. Here, I have had numerous failures of plug contacts and also switches and plastic surrounds.
Old 3rd November 2019, 17:07   #7422
BANNED

Anchor Roma quality is pretty mediocre. I find Alme/Alemac to be much better than it. Most electricians in Bombay who fix broken/spoilt Anchor Roma switches & boards replace it with similar Alme/Alemac products.

Last edited by carboy : 3rd November 2019 at 17:10.
Old 3rd November 2019, 17:11   #7423
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
The old-fashioned Anchor fittings seem to last for many years. Is that range still available? Had the quality changed?
Old Anchor - not available any more. They moved to the Roma brand, which is now with Panasonic. I have found that these switches last as long as the locking mechanism holds. Once these start to give in, the switch /socket some out.

I have tried LeGrand switches, and these look better.
Old 3rd November 2019, 17:42   #7424
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Old Anchor - not available any more. ...
So no more wooden boxes with customised front plates? A whole piece of Indian culture gone!

Old 3rd November 2019, 17:58   #7425
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
So no more wooden boxes with customised front plates? A whole piece of Indian culture gone!

:( .. nope, pretty much gone. We may get the boxes, but the face-plates are rare now.

Btw, I am looking for a full set of the old round bakelite switches and sockets. Had seen some on eBay UK

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks