Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2019, 12:18   #7486
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
My sister's house in Sonipat Sector - 35 has very hard water. This results in corroding of heating tubes in the geyser. Any recommendations? They are presently using AO Smith. ....
Don't understand. Hard water is not corrosive, but contains large amounts of minerals. In the hot-water piping, geysers, etc, this is deposited on the metal, reducing the bore and potentially eventual blocking the pipe. But I am fairly sure I have never seen pipes corroded by hard water.

If you want to know about hard water, ask a Londoner (holds up hand.)

I was reminded, only this year, travelling through various areas of England, about this simple, experienced-based indicator of water hardness. It requires only the bar of soap that you have anyway...
You vigorously rub the soap between your hands, over and over. There is little to no lather. This is hard water. EG London.

Forgetting you have shifted to Cornwall, you do the same, and spend the next five minutes trying to wash all the lather off your hands. This is soft water.

You can also check out the inside of your electric kettle. Your boiler will probably be the same.
Old 30th December 2019, 12:47   #7487
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Don't understand. Hard water is not corrosive, but contains large amounts of minerals. In the hot-water piping, geysers, etc, this is deposited on the metal, reducing the bore and potentially eventual blocking the pipe. But I am fairly sure I have never seen pipes corroded by hard water.
It's called scaling and is very common problem in domestic geysers and industrial boilers. On a industrial boiler , scaling reduces the thermal conductivity of the pipes and thus needing more energy for heating the same qty of water. The other effect of this scaling is called pitting. Pitting is localized rusting and caused by having two different metals ( pipe and the coating of minerals ) with an electrolyte ( water) between them. The resultant rust causes the pipe to get brittle ( corrode ) over time and fail ( leak ).

This effect is well known to boiler designers and they add some descaling chemical which prevents / reduces the action. The same descaling chemical cannot be added to the inlet line of the geyser since we don't know what its effect would be on human skin. Unlike industrial boiler which just convert water to steam hence no direct contact with human skin. Frankly, no idea how to prevent it in a geyser.

Last edited by srini1785 : 30th December 2019 at 12:51.
Old 30th December 2019, 13:06   #7488
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srini1785 View Post
It's called scaling ...

Frankly, no idea how to prevent it in a geyser.

Magnetic water conditioners may help. I have not used one myself, but the research seems to suggest it works - though there seems to be a lot of controversy on it's efficacy, possibly, to save the chemical descaler industry.
Old 30th December 2019, 13:09   #7489
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Oops, I'm in a similar situation as you are (living in an independent house) and do not have any idea how this could be done for just one flat in an apartment building!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
How can it be fitted in an apartment?
Have a look at 3M softener. I have it at home but an independent house. My friend is now getting it installed in his flat. He is extending a window grill about 2 feet outside and keeping it there. His flat has one inlet to the whole apartment and this helps simplify the installation. I installed this after a water heater element broke inside, a washing machine drum broke from its restraints and my new dishwasher outlet filter got blocked due to calcium buildup. Apart from the appliance damage, the usual hair loss and skin irritation were major reasons to go in for the softener.
Old 31st December 2019, 00:08   #7490
Distinguished - BHPian

Domestic boilers can be descaled, but, as mentioned, it requires acid compounds. The inlet and outlet are disconnected, the chemical poured in to do its work, then the whole thing is thoroughly flushed before being reconnected.

I've read this in a hard-boiled instruction book. Mind you, I've never heard of it actually being done!
Old 12th January 2020, 12:14   #7491
Distinguished - BHPian

Anyone picked up a robot vacuum cleaner from Aliexpress? Which one?
Old 13th January 2020, 17:05   #7492
BHPian

I have been using a Bajaj MW Oven since 1.5 years. There is lot of rusting that has happened inside the oven. Unknowingly I was using it even when it was in this condition. But, then I read an article about it and stopped using it immediately. I have submitted a query from their website, but no response.
Now, my question is, has anyone else faced this ‘rusting’ problem with their Oven? If so, any idea what is the solution?
Old 13th January 2020, 20:56   #7493
BHPian

Anyone recently bought a mixie? Any pointers on good brands to buy these days with silent operation?

Thanks in advance.
Old 13th January 2020, 21:02   #7494
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS2024 View Post
Anyone recently bought a mixie? Any pointers on good brands to buy these days with silent operation?

Thanks in advance.
Panasonic eyes closed. Hit the search bar with these search terms around here for reviews.
Old 13th January 2020, 21:11   #7495
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Any pointers on good brands to buy these days with silent operation?
Look at Ultra as well, they're good.
Old 13th January 2020, 21:44   #7496
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Panasonic eyes closed. Hit the search bar with these search terms around here for reviews.
Thanks can you please let me know the model name if any?
Old 13th January 2020, 22:08   #7497
Senior - BHPian

Crossposted in another thread but thought it might be more appropriate here

Maybe the best place to ask help!

Many apartments here in the US have electric cooking ranges. We moved to one that has cooking gas and it has been wonderful. We're able to use round-bottom vessels and the cooking time is much lesser too. However, I see that the grill above the gas burners are quite high. This ends up wasting gas and I am sure we can reduce the cooking time even more. Anyone faced similar issues or have any ideas on how to fix this?

I will post up pictures to show what I am talking about soon. As a quick jugaad, I turned the grill upside down and now it is very close to the burner and cooking time is lesser. But this is not an ideal solution as the grill sits at an angle when upside down.

My one idea was to put in a cylinderical steel piece under the burner (to make it higher) but not sure how safe it is to use it that way. Any other thoughts?
Old 13th January 2020, 23:39   #7498
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
I turned the grill upside down and now it is very close to the burner and cooking time is lesser. But this is not an ideal solution as the grill sits at an angle when upside down.

My one idea was to put in a cylinderical steel piece under the burner (to make it higher) but not sure how safe it is to use it that way. Any other thoughts?
Too little clearance between burner and vessel causes a "whoosh" sound. So dont reduce it too much. You are better off finding replacement grills, with different height, if available.

Quote:
Silent ones require frequent change of brushes.
Old 13th January 2020, 23:42   #7499
Distinguished - BHPian

Please post the photos! I'm confused!

Burners should be designed to give proper gas/air mixture and correct flame shape. Whatever is holding the pots should hold it them at the right height to be at the hot point (give or take for knob level) of the flame.

I would certainly not adapt the burner. It could be dangerous.
Old 14th January 2020, 11:03   #7500
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Anyone picked up a robot vacuum cleaner from Aliexpress? Which one?
I bought a MI Robot Vacuum cleaner from Aliexpress. I was not charged any duty. I used it daily for close to a year, when my wife was not at home. Sold it when we got a full-time servant.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks