Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2020, 10:50   #7801
BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Has anybody purchased a massive 500-600 L fridge? The proportions are too ungainly and will look like a massive block of granite in our smallish Indian homes. Any idea on where to place it, as our kitchens are too small to accommodate these monsters? Any picture of your own set up would help, please. Our house definitely needs a mammoth fridge but keeping (or rather making space for it) is the problem
Unless your kitchen itself is massive in size (about the size of a standard bedroom at-least), such a large fridge will look out of place.

I don't have a 500L+ model but do have a large 465L model that we picked after a long search of large models that can fit in our space allocated for fridge - I live in an apartment and hence our space, even though large, isn't flexible.

Our model looks good, I love the colour as well, and the design is such that it doesn't take a lot of space beyond what was allocated by the developer. But it does come out slightly than the ideal position. That was also one reason that we chose the fridge that had no door handle. As it now looks better and also your shoulder/body will not touch the door handle when you move around in the kitchen.

We have this: https://www.samsung.com/in/refrigera...RT47K6238UTTL/

Now if you go in the 500L-600L range then you will see wider models and many of them will be dual side-by-side door ones. We found those to be bad at space management. One relative ended up with buying a secondary smaller single door fridge after buying a 600L side-by-side one because the larger one had bad space management and he couldn't keep all his stuff in it. So unless you know how to use those, avoid those side-by-side ones.

As you can see, it comes out by 1-2 inches from the border of outer wall on the left of the image and by 3-4 inches from the end of the platform on the right. This was acceptable to us and hence we purchased this. A protruding door handle would have looked bad, according to me.

The Home Appliance thread-img20190727wa0027.jpg

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 29th May 2020 at 15:59. Reason: Extra spaces
sunilch is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th May 2020, 15:26   #7802
Team-BHP Support

Finally prevailed upon my family and bought a dishwasher and dryer.

Dishwasher: Siemens iQ500 (Rs. 34500)

https://www.siemens-home.bsh-group.i...rsfreestanding

There's barely any stock left for Bosch/Siemens and no stock for IFB in stores (standalone or chains) across Pune. We saw display pieces for IFB, Siemens and Bosch across two stores but only one outlet had a piece ready for delivery. Functionality, capability and price-wise, the IFB Neptune VX, Siemens and Bosch twins are similar so the decision on model/color was taken solely based on availability. We were okay with any of the three.

Dryer: IFB TurboDry 5.5kg (Rs. 18300)

https://www.ifbappliances.com/turbod...-5-5kg-l-55rpm

Read that Dryers come in two techs: vented and condenser. Both of them are similar in terms of capability and functionality but condenser model is double the price of the vented one. Since we intend to keep the Dryer in the dry balcony or someplace with clear access to a window, we saw no necessity for the condenser model.

Again, only model available on display/stock across Pune so no choice. This isn't readily available so we'll get it in a few days directly from the stockyard.

Any recommendations for the detergent (powder vs pod) /rinse aid/salt please.
Old 29th May 2020, 15:55   #7803
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Finally prevailed upon my family and bought a dishwasher and dryer.

We have IFB Neptune dishwasher and we have been using IFB essentials dishwash powder, salt and rinse aid. It used to be readily available in IFB stores and also on amazon, but not sure about availability in the current situation. IFB has also launched an all-in-one tablet, but I have never used it.

We were satisfied with the results with IFB products. You may give it a try, based on availability.

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2020, 20:28   #7804
BHPian

Quote:

We use Fortune powder, salt and rinse aid. Buy it from Amazon. In 2 years of use found no difference with Finish products which costs twice.
archat68 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2020, 22:27   #7805
Senior - BHPian

Try IFB tabs once, they're better than Fortune. You also get Fairy and Persil on FK. Yesterday I saw some new product from USA at 225 bucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
We use Fortune powder, salt and rinse aid. Buy it from Amazon. In 2 years of use found no difference with Finish products which costs twice.
Sebring is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th May 2020, 22:55   #7806
BHPian

Quote:
Try IFB tabs once, they're better than Fortune. You also get Fairy and Persil on FK. Yesterday I saw some new product from USA at 225 bucks
Where do you buy the IFB tabs from online? I'll sure give them a try!
archat68 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2020, 22:56   #7807
BHPian

Quote:

Try the Bosch 5 in 1 - it is as good as Finish brand. You don't need to use any detergent / salt / rinse aid separately.

You can visit their website and see all the portals where it is available. Costs Rs.750/- for 35 tablets.
Old 29th May 2020, 23:31   #7808
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay81 View Post
Try the Bosch 5 in 1 - it is as good as Finish brand. You don't need to use any detergent / salt / rinse aid separately.

You can visit their website and see all the portals where it is available. Costs Rs.750/- for 35 tablets.
Bosch 5 in 1 is made by fortune, so no point paying a premium for the bosch name.
Old 30th May 2020, 08:29   #7809
Senior - BHPian

Hi, its available at every IFB showroom and online, in both FK and Amazon (but they're out of stock online for two-three months now). Dishwasher sales have recorded 500% rise in these months (newspaper source) so demand must be high
Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
Where do you buy the IFB tabs from online? I'll sure give them a try!
Old 30th May 2020, 08:55   #7810
Senior - BHPian

Dishwasher users - A couple of noob question please.

1. Does the washer need plumbing work for installation ?
2. If i need to move homes, is it just easy to plonk and place in new place?
3. Do the heavy greasy vessels need special treatment ( eg. vessels that see frying or plenty of masala some days )?
4. How long does it take to service / self clean the Washer itself? And what frequency does the washer need to be cleaned up ? Asking this because sometimes, you might end up putting a dish with some residue material and those can accumulate over a few days.

Thanks in advance.
Old 30th May 2020, 09:05   #7811
Senior - BHPian

Plumbing set up is similar to washing machine (inlet/outlet)
The unit weighs half as much as a front loading washing machine (20 kilo nearabout), so moving is easy
Heavy grease vessels dont need special treatment nor pre-rinse (just ensure you're using quality detergent)
Over time your blackened vessels get back their 'new shine'
The washer cleans itself over the process, but if the lid is closed for long duration you could get a smell, so you just toss in the Finish Dishwash cleaner box (plastic bottle actually) and run a cycle (once in 6 months)
There is a filter at the base which collects debris, which we place under running water once a week (but recommended is, after every use)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Dishwasher users - A couple of noob question please.
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2020, 09:19   #7812
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Plumbing set up is similar to washing machine (inlet/outlet)
I have a permanent dedicated corner built for washing machine, with power/water inlet/outlet provisions. But there is no such provision for dish washer. Will it be possible to keep it in the service bathroom where a power socket and tap are available, but no dedicated drain. I will have to let the water go through the normal drain of the bathroom by leaving the drain tube near it. I don't want to call in people and do any modifications under the current conditions.
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2020, 10:14   #7813
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
... Will it be possible to keep it in the service bathroom where a power socket and tap are available, but no dedicated drain. I will have to let the water go through the normal drain of the bathroom by leaving the drain tube near it. ....
Yes, very much possible. Just place the end of outlet pipe near to the normal drain and it will work perfectly. Dish washer uses very little water so the water discharge will not be like what we imagine from a washing machine.

Go ahead comfortably. No alterations needed.
khan_sultan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2020, 10:17   #7814
BHPian

Quote:
I will have to let the water go through the normal drain of the bathroom by leaving the drain tube near it.
This should work but for ease of use and for more adoption, it is good to place this next to the kitchen sink. Also food particles and such stuff may clog up your bathroom drain. Our kitchen drain at the back of our house gets clogged every week and we move the stone slab cover and clear it, you may not be able to do this for a bathroom drain.
I also have purchased a food crusher for the kitchen sink from the US, and it supports a dish washer outlet too, not hooked this up yet as the manual cleaning is not too painful.
diyguy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2020, 10:25   #7815
Senior - BHPian

Only issue I see are food debris. And that's an ungainly sight. If you're prepared to rinse the dishes before loading you'll be fine. Or you'll have to do a minimal piping upto the outlet.
Quote:
I have a permanent dedicated corner built for washing machine, with power/water inlet/outlet provisions. But there is no such provision for dish washer. Will it be possible to keep it in the service bathroom where a power socket and tap are available, but no dedicated drain. I will have to let the water go through the normal drain of the bathroom by leaving the drain tube near it. I don't want to call in people and do any modifications under the current conditions.
Sebring is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed