Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2020, 21:31   #7816
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I will have to let the water go through the normal drain of the bathroom by leaving the drain tube near it. I don't want to call in people and do any modifications under the current conditions.
You should probably not let it just hang down from the machine. The installation manual should make this clear. If it is like washing machines, it must rise to a minimum level before falling again.
Old 30th May 2020, 22:23   #7817
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

For both washing machine and dishwasher you should keep the drain end atleast 1 to 2 inches above the washing machine door gasket, this has to be done so that water doesn't siphon off,( even if the drain pump is off). In dishwasher the drain water pipe should be again above the height of the filter/mesh or above the height of the lower spray arm.
The max and minimum height are all mentioned in manuals.

Since a decade or since I first got my front load machine that is how I have installed. Also as your washing machine gets old, the drain tube connecting the tub to drain pump will become hard or brittle and the floating ball within the tube will not create a good seal, hence connecting the drain pipe about the same height has the door gasket bottom will prevent water from draining.
aim120 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2020, 23:25   #7818
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aim120 View Post
For both washing machine and dishwasher you should keep the drain end atleast 1 to 2 inches above the washing machine door gasket, this has to be done so that water doesn't siphon off,( even if the drain pump is off). In dishwasher the drain water pipe should be again above the height of the filter/mesh or above the height of the lower spray arm.
The max and minimum height are all mentioned in manuals.
That is right. What can be a simple workaround is that you can tie the drain pipe in a way that it forms an S-trap behind the machine.
Old 31st May 2020, 04:23   #7819
Distinguished - BHPian

In the old days whe washing machines were not permanently installed, we used to hook the outlet onto the sink.
Old 31st May 2020, 10:26   #7820
Senior - BHPian

Trying out different detergent tabs for Dishwasher, IFB (German make) came out the best. Finish powerball (Made in Germany) is superb but really expensive. Fortune (Indian make) is great value, at Rs 10-15 a pop (when bought in bulk) and does its job. Bought a small box of Persil (UK import), and was majorly disappointed. Not for Indian cooking. Deep muck and fry stain weren't dislodged at all. Only packaging seems great
Attached Thumbnails
The Home Appliance thread-img_6323.jpg  

Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2020, 19:44   #7821
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Has anybody purchased a massive 500-600 L fridge?
I have a 3-year old Siemens double door refrigerator, 535L. The choices are very few for a double door refrigerator in this capacity range, but I believe it offers a better space utilization than a side-by-side refrigerator, though I have space earmarked in the kitchen to fit one. This one is an inverted (freezer at the bottom) model.

I would not recommend this one, though, even if it can swallow pretty much anything we throw at it, because of the deplorable service support. I have also not got a piece that is made to last. It has its niggles, and have not been sorted out yet.
sschivate is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2020, 21:12   #7822
BHPian

Quote:
We have a 600+ L Double Door Fridge from LG serving for 5+ years now. It's a big blessing! Similar Product's Amazon Link

During scouting for options, we wanted to get a Side-by-Side, but the LG shop owner himself suggested us to go for Double Door instead as it will suit the house needs. It is much easier to keep big kitchen utensils (like topiyas or entire kadhais) in double door fridges.

Side-by-Side only makes sense for people who store a lot of refrigerated goods.

Last edited by sharktale : 31st May 2020 at 21:13.
sharktale is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2020, 21:26   #7823
BHPian

I looked up washing machines on this thread and found praises being heaped upon Bosch Machines and the silence with which they operate. Trusting the reviews here, I placed an order for the 7kg Front load Bosch WAK20163IN during lockdown 1.0. Unfortunately due to the lockdown, the order remained stuck till Lockdown 4.0 and was finally delivered 9 days back.

Today, 1 week after installation, I realised that the 8 year old LG Direct Drive front loader that we have back home in Nashik was actually quiter than this one when new. It has some alignment/suspension issues now so it shakes violently now but otherwise, that one seemed more silent. There is no scientific analysis that I have done here but that is the gut feeling.

Anyways, the wash quality and drying is really good. No idea about the Electricity or water consumption but that is supposed to be extremely low. Not used the heater as yet, not required due to the high summer temperatures. With the rains approaching, the real tests will begin.

On to the hot favourite of the lockdown season. What Dishwasher? Whirlpool seems reasonable, or should I stick to Bosch?

P.S. We are 2 people and a baby in the household.

Last edited by antz.bin : 31st May 2020 at 21:55.
Old 31st May 2020, 21:36   #7824
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sschivate View Post
I have also not got a piece that is made to last. It has its niggles, and have not been sorted out yet.
When I was in UK, Siemens/Bosch/Liebherr, were products to last decades. Perhaps they are making something cheap for India?

Only Miele stood above all those. Claimed to be engineered for 25 years --- and it had a price to match.
Old 31st May 2020, 23:47   #7825
BHPian

Quote:
Trying out different detergent tabs for Dishwasher, IFB (German make) came out the best.
Didn't really have much of a choice except to go for Finish, on my week old Siemens iq500. The machine came with couple of Finish tabs only, for sample along with the rinse liquid of the same make. The technician himself raised his hands and suggested to order from Amazon, upon inquiring about the tabs; Amazon also had limited options by the time we ordered. We got the bulk 70 no.s pack and are trying to use it judiciously as the tabs are not available in the market due to the current mad rush.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharktale View Post
We have a 600+ L Double Door Fridge from LG serving for 5+ years now.
I went in for the Samsung 670L double door after a similar search for a side-by-side initially. It indeed made more sense in terms of usable space, given Indian kitchen habits.

https://www.amazon.in/Samsung-Refrig.../dp/B01F1TTLL8

It's been a huge help as the size (width and depth) allows for big utensils to be placed comfortably, with space still left for smaller ones. Thankfully, I'd the space earmarked earlier when we were doing our flat interiors. Another thing to keep in mind is the wide door which can restrict movement if placed in any pathway, best would be to carve out a dedicated corner. Attached pic may help:
Attached Thumbnails
The Home Appliance thread-img_20200531_232606.jpg  

avinash_m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2020, 11:41   #7826
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
What Dishwasher? Whirlpool seems reasonable, or should I stick to Bosch?
One vote for Whirlpool. Around an year ago I switched from LG (after 10+yrs in service) to Whirlpool. Pretty happy with it. Went for Whirlpool PowerClean Pro-WFO3O33 DLX IN due to its feature set and power consumption rating. I was looking for a machine with short cycle option that includes drying. Btw, keep in mind that the highest temperature setting is around 65, whereas others had 5-10 degrees more. Anyway I usually don't use it in modes at even 65 degrees (typically use 50-55), so this was not an issue for me.

Last edited by LobsterB : 1st June 2020 at 11:58. Reason: Added model link
LobsterB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2020, 02:51   #7827
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBond007 View Post
I was out of station for a week in mid-March. Upon returning I found that my year-old Samsung double door refrigerator is making a strange noise every couple of hours. It sounds as if a motor is starting. The sound stops if I lightly press the refrigerator body. This sound is very different and louder than the sound of the compressor getting started.

Any idea what might be the reason behind the sound?
Since the refrigerator was in warranty, I raised a technician visit request. The technician listened to the video recording of the sound and gently readjusted some pipes in the back. It seemed as if he was checking to ensure that the pipes are in order. I asked him whether there is some frosting issue, to which he replied in negative.

Whatever he did, it worked. The weird noise has stopped.
Old 3rd June 2020, 18:42   #7828
BHPian

Purchased Atomberg fans from Amazon this summer, delivery was quick.
1) Atomberg Renesa Ceiling Fan : Major USP is the 28W power consumption at max speed, very less fan offer this (almost half compared to others). The fan is sleek in design and less noisy when in full speed, the remote function is another add-on feature. The 1200mm sweep is suitable only for bedrooms or similar, not for larger rooms.
2) Atomberg Gorilla Pedestal fan: This is 30W fan with 400mm seep. Fan is mostly ABS plastic, even blades exception is safety grill. This makes Fan light weight to move around. Again remote control is a add-on.
Atomberg does offer 2+1 years of warranty on all products as of now.

https://atomberg.com/
Shamegz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th June 2020, 13:57   #7829
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamegz View Post
1) Atomberg Renesa Ceiling Fan : Major USP is the 28W power consumption
2) Atomberg Gorilla Pedestal fan: This is 30W fan with 400mm seep.

https://atomberg.com/
Could you please let me know if your ceiling fan starts running again after power is restored after a power failure, (or if you just switch off the mains) if it was running before the power failure? My Superfan has no problem with this, but I'm wondering about the Atomberg fan because of my experience with the Pedestal fan (below).

Did you check the actual power consumption on the pedestal fan and the ceiling fan? The Efficio+ pedestal fan I ordered consumed 37 watts not 32 Watts as stated. It consumes 7 watts in standby mode (while my Sony TV consumes a minuscule 0.2 Watts). For a company that sells on energy efficiency, I'd assume they had all these points covered.

Other major deal-breaker - the fan does not start running after a power interruption without switching on the power and setting the desired speed on the remote (or on fan buttons). Beeps loudly when remote commands are received. I returned it.
mvadg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th June 2020, 16:51   #7830
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
Could you please let me know if your ceiling fan starts running again after power is restored after a power failure, (or if you just switch off the mains) if it was running before the power failure?
I have 3 Atomberg Gorilla Renesas Smart+ ceiling fans. All of them restart after a power cut else the Home Minister would have ensured I'd be dead meat by now .
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed