Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2020, 16:07   #8101
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by null View Post
can it really clean stuff from surfaces other than the floor - like suck out the dust from carpets, mats, sofas, mattress, rugs etc.
Yes. Absolutely. Carpets, mattress, walls (look like freshly painted), sofas (I have cane ones) Venetian blinds, grilles, etc. Takes longer, but dust does not fly around while cleaning g - helps if people with breathing trouble are around. A 1000w machine will consume one unit of power in an hour. I take up to 45 minutes to do a 1300 sq ft floor. 25 minutes for a 3 pc sofa - "woven" cane.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2020, 16:21   #8102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Samsung service in chennai or parts of chennai is done by TVS Electronics. The technician came home today and refused to inspect the sensor. He opened the back panel and pulled on a copper junction part he called dryer and showed me tiny bubbles stating gas leak.
I always find these descriptions very dubious. Gas leak shouldn't happen this easily. I find AC and refrigerator technicians trying to make a quick buck like this. Probably I am biased because I've never had a gas leak happen to me even in a 20 year old refrigerator and a 18 year old car. Also, wasn't your refrigerator still under warranty.
The above mentioned refrigerator of mine has an issue for a year now where the defrost doesn't work due to some voltage issues. Local technician said that need a compressor change. I did get the compressor but he never got back to installing it and it has been an year and the fridge is working fine. I have to manually defrost it from time to time and shut it down manually as well for 12 hours because the timer isn't working properly.
Old 25th August 2020, 11:54   #8103
BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
We had booked a Bosch dishwasher in the 2nd week July and were assured that delivery will happen by end of July. Now, 15 days in to August, there is just no sign of any thing happening even in this month! The dealer, who runs a Bosch brand showroom, claims that the shipments have been delayed across the country and he is unable to commit any specific date.

Just checking if anyone is facing a similar issue with Bosch. For reference, im based out of Bangalore, but booked the dishwasher thru a Bosch brand showroom from Hosur,TN.
Yes, we booked a Bosch dishwasher about the same time and were promised delivery by Week 1 of August. However, there is no sign and the multi brand electronics showroom where we made the booking tried to sell us a LG branded dishwasher instead. As per him, end of this month or early Sept is a likely date for Bosch.

On a related point what could have gone wrong here? Bosch dishwashers have been off the shelf for 4 months now - lockdown effect? In most states lockdown has been relaxes especially for factories.
Old 25th August 2020, 12:44   #8104
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by feluda86 View Post
Bosch dishwashers have been off the shelf for 4 months now - lockdown effect?
Even if assembled in India with a high localization content, you'll probably find that crucial motor is imported from the EU. With production & logistics disrupted across the world, this could be the most plausible reason.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2020, 14:11   #8105
BHPian

Advice needed: Top load washing machine

I have an 8 year old Top Load Panasonic washing machine. It is making all sorts of noise and had to replace copper relay/trip components once. Its filters need replacing every few. Months as well. So thinking of replacing it before it conks off completely. Also, I find that this machine uses an aggressive water saver option as a default. So sometimes, it doesn't uses enough water to wet the clothes sufficiently. As a result, ineffective cleaning or retains washing powder on clothes.

Following are my requirements for a new washing machine unit
  • Top Load machine
  • About 7kg capacity
  • Preferably need steel drum (don't know whether it makes much difference, but I 'feel' it may be better)
  • Should have following modes: quick wash, heavy load (for blankets, curtains, etc), delicate, and normal. Air drying is a plus
  • Heater not required
  • Non-chinese brand, preferably made in India
  • Machine will be kept in dry balcony, which gets lots of direct sunlight. So sturdy body and instrument panel towards farther side of machine is preferred
  • Price: about 20k
Any suggestions for brand / model? And is it safe to buy it off online? I have never bought white goods online before.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 28th August 2020 at 10:53. Reason: Removing extra space
Old 25th August 2020, 17:24   #8106
BHPian

Quote:
However, there is no sign and the multi brand electronics showroom where we made the booking tried to sell us a LG branded dishwasher instead.
What was the quoted price for LG? I am precisely in the same boat (Booked in Mid of July) and seriously considering LG @ 51K since price difference with credit card benefits reduces to 10K only and LG looks much more premium with better features.
Old 25th August 2020, 20:01   #8107
Team-BHP Support

Cleaning brass burners of the gas stove

The brass burners of our 4 y.o. gas stove had turned black with whatever little cooking I used to do. I saw a recent clip on a friend's FB feed - someone using a sachet of Eno + lime juice + warm water to clean the brass burner. I thought of something similar but used half a capful of Dranex powder and tap water. Used a discarded toothbrush and the dishwash bar to clean the innards. The results were impressive - have a look.

The condition of the smaller burner before:

The Home Appliance thread-img_20200823_123547.jpg

I am guessing Dranex = citric acid primarily. I love the Mr Muscle brand and their products. Big fan of their kitchen degreaser spray!

The Home Appliance thread-img_20200823_123608.jpg

Half a capful:

The Home Appliance thread-img_20200823_123645.jpg

Emptied the powder in an SS bowl. The reaction with water is highly exothermic and releases a lot of heat, which a plastic bowl may not withstand.

The Home Appliance thread-img_20200823_123716.jpg

The Home Appliance thread-img_20200823_124735.jpg

Repeated the steps with the larger burner:

The Home Appliance thread-img_20200823_125419.jpg

Result:

The Home Appliance thread-img_20200823_133112.jpg

The Home Appliance thread-img_20200823_133126.jpg

Those factory-finish brass burners give a nice feeling which lasts for a short while!
Gannu_1 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 25th August 2020, 20:36   #8108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post

I am guessing Dranex = citric acid primarily.
Drainex is Caustic Soda. Very corrosive for both of your skin and the burner metal if not handled carefully.
Its better to stick to warm Citric Acid solution or Vinegar and soak overnight.
archat68 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th August 2020, 21:19   #8109
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
Drainex is Caustic Soda. ...
That's what I thought. My hunch is that most serious drain cleaners are caustic soda. Nasty stuff: a skin melter! Nasty but useful

My hunch is that vinegar would remove most of the oxides making brass look dirty. But any grease may act as an effective mask: caustic soda just eats grease.

Oh wait. This far into the thought process, I just thought... my wife would have done that with lime and tamarind. Works a treat!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2020, 21:21   #8110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, we booked a Bosch dishwasher about the same time and were promised delivery by Week 1 of August. However, there is no sign and the multi brand electronics showroom where we made the booking tried to sell us a LG branded dishwasher instead. As per him, end of this month or early Sept is a likely date for Bosch.

On a related point what could have gone wrong here? Bosch dishwashers have been off the shelf for 4 months now - lockdown effect? In most states lockdown has been relaxes especially for factories.
The dealer whom we booked with says that the dishwasher is imported from turkey. But I also read some news that Bosch has a factory in India and they assemble some home appliances, not sure if dishwasher is one of them.

The thing is, I have no where to go now. The dealer I booked with gave me a very sweet deal, just 43k for the top end dishwasher, which actually costs 51k. If I cancel this booking and go for a new one, the waiting period is still one month in most places, and im guessing its not a firm commitment, and plus there is almost no discount on dishwashers these days, may be 1k but no more.

The other brands available are IFB, Siemens and LG. But from what I have seen LG is nearly 60k, and Siemens as brand is not easily available.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 28th August 2020 at 10:54. Reason: Formatting
Old 25th August 2020, 21:37   #8111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
That's what I thought. My hunch is that most serious drain cleaners are caustic soda. Nasty stuff: a skin melter! Nasty but useful

My hunch is that vinegar would remove most of the oxides making brass look dirty. But any grease may act as an effective mask: caustic soda just eats grease.

Oh wait. This far into the thought process, I just thought... my wife would have done that with lime and tamarind. Works a treat!
I buy 250 gm of caustic soda for 30 rs from the plumber. Store in a airtight jar and use it instead of Drainex. You can use this much for cleaning atleat ten times. Each pack of Drainex cost around 25 Rs I think. The only thing is that Custic Soda is a Nasty stuff, as you've mentioned and needs to be handled carefully. But so is Drainex.

For cleaning the burners I only clean them when they get clogged. Otherwise that shiny look doesn't stay more than 2-3 days. So I find it a waste. For clogged burners soaking in boiling water and Pril liquid works great or a paper clip straitened up and poked through the holes to clear the clogs.
archat68 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2020, 10:20   #8112
BANNED

Chicken - egg dilemma. With burners removed, I can't boil water. :-)

I pau 400 - 500 for service. They clean the tubes too.
Old 26th August 2020, 10:57   #8113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Chicken - egg dilemma. With burners removed, I can't boil water. :-)

I pau 400 - 500 for service. They clean the tubes too.
I use induction heater😁
Old 26th August 2020, 16:36   #8114
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
With burners removed, I can't boil water.
Quote:
I use induction heater😁
I'd use the microwave.

I used to use a microwave for making masala chai several times a day, as there was no other heating option at work.
Old 26th August 2020, 17:03   #8115
BHPian

Quote:
Chicken - egg dilemma. With burners removed, I can't boil water.
Quote:
I use induction heater
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I'd use the microwave.
I hope it was a joke. Why not simply use one burner to heat the water then clean both of them together in one go or in series.

Most Viewed