Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2020, 12:53   #8176
BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Front loader vs Top Loaders is as fundamental...

In short, the top loaders generally have shorter wash cycles at the expense of abusing the clothes and higher water consumption.
Question : Does your top loader have a physical agitator blade like a mixie, or is the agitation done with pulsing jets of water like in the LG /Samsung models?
Old 3rd September 2020, 15:13   #8177
Senior - BHPian

I didn't know that this tech exists. Long back our LG top loader had that spinning agitator at the bottom. It was gentle on clothes though. We had no issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
pulsing jets of water like in the LG /Samsung models?
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2020, 15:32   #8178
Distinguished - BHPian

Cold-only fill world have saved the manufacturers a whole subsystem of temperature sensing and mixer valves, but for those with solar water heating it is absurd. Any front loader in India has hot and cold?
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2020, 16:28   #8179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
I didn't know that this tech exists. Long back our LG top loader had that spinning agitator at the bottom. It was gentle on clothes though. We had no issues
Sorry, I chose the wrong set of words and my imagination did the rest! I don't know if they pulse the water, but they do call it a jet spray. I was comparing our old Whirlpool to the newer LG (both top load). Pics from here
Attached Thumbnails
The Home Appliance thread-screenshot_20200903161916.jpg  

The Home Appliance thread-screenshot_20200903162022.jpg  

The Home Appliance thread-screenshot_20200903163240.jpg  

Last edited by mvadg : 3rd September 2020 at 16:34.
mvadg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2020, 17:19   #8180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Cold-only fill world have saved the manufacturers a whole subsystem of temperature sensing and mixer valves, but for those with solar water heating it is absurd. Any front loader in India has hot and cold?
Indeed. I can make good use of abundant supply of hot water, for almost entire year to wash clothes.

The LG top loader which I have for the past 20+ years has the same, and it's a boon. So, the question, any in the current crop of machines having the same.
Old 6th September 2020, 16:57   #8181
Distinguished - BHPian

We are looking at side by side refrigerators from LG and Samsung. Any reviews for either? I am sold on the water/ice dispenser ones since they are a blessing in summer when I need to constantly store bottles in the fridge. Anyway, thats just an extra feature. But basically we are looking for a bigger fridge since the existing samsung has worked well for 10 years and hasnt had a single issue so far. The Samsung model is cheaper than the LG by close to 10k rupees but still looks and feels better compared to LG. Does the LG have any other advantage that we are missing?

https://www.croma.com/samsung-676-l-...ess-/p/218112#

https://www.croma.com/lg-687-l-4-sta...teel-/p/226423
Old 7th September 2020, 12:30   #8182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
We are looking at side by side refrigerators from LG and Samsung. Any reviews for either? I am sold on the water/ice dispenser ones since they are a blessing in summer when I need to constantly store bottles in the fridge. Anyway, thats just an extra feature. But basically we are looking for a bigger fridge since the existing samsung has worked well for 10 years and hasnt had a single issue so far. The Samsung model is cheaper than the LG by close to 10k rupees but still looks and feels better compared to LG. Does the LG have any other advantage that we are missing?

In my opinion if you have the space for them, having two medium sized refrigerators rather than one large one has a lot of advantages
1. Two smaller ones cost less than one larger one of combined capacity.
2. Repairs of smaller refrigerators are much less as they are generally made/assembled in India, hence spares are less expensive and readily available.
3. Two refrigerators give you redundancy. If one packs up, at least you have some refrigeration.
4. With two refrigerators, you use one for daily needs (opens at least 15 time a day), and one for longer storage time (open at the most once a day). That way the refrigerators will last longer.

As you say the current refrigerator is going strong. Why discard a perfectly working refrigerator. Add another one.
Aroy is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 8th September 2020, 19:32   #8183
BHPian

Quote:

https://www.croma.com/samsung-676-l-...ess-/p/218112#

https://www.croma.com/lg-687-l-4-sta...teel-/p/226423
I bought the exact same LG model in Feb 2020 for 78K from LG brand store in Noida ( got additional cashback of INR 7k for using my ICICI card so net 71K ). I compared with R digi and Croma. R digi was willing to match thr price of 78k but NO CASHBACK ( the 7k cashback was a LG promotion for their offline stores ). Croma refused to come below INR 1lac for this model

The samsung model you quoted was available for 79k ( Rdigi - more than an hour of bargaining over these two models ) but I didn't want to go for samsung as my existing samsung fridge lasted ~4 years and I had spent more than 25k in repairs after the warranty was over. Everything that could fail failed except the compressor.

Edit : The LG store gave me a bill of 80/81k IIRC. When I asked he told me he cannot bill this model for less than 80k as there are minimum prices set by LG

I am not sure if prices have increased a lot due to covid but you can use these as a start point.

Last edited by akg7091 : 8th September 2020 at 19:33.
akg7091 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2020, 19:48   #8184
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akg7091 View Post
I

I am not sure if prices have increased a lot due to covid but you can use these as a start point.
Yes they have, apparently.
I just picked up the LG last month for 93k!
Old 8th September 2020, 19:51   #8185
Team-BHP Support

About washing machines, the top loaders aren't exactly the prehistoric brutes they're being made out to be.

My rather run-of-the-mill Samsung top loader automatic has a bunch of wash cycle settings: full, quick, blankets, delicates, blah blah. I'm on my second machine now, the first one lasted a decade plus, and only needed replacement because the company couldn't arrange a spare part (model out-of-service-life).

We've had front-loaders at my parents' home for more than two decades (IFB & Samsung), if my current top-loader is ripping my clothes apart, I can't tell.

What I can tell you, I have some of my favorite clothes from college (yes, they still fit ) that have literally been washed in both types of machines for years, and are still in perfectly wearable condition.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 8th September 2020 at 19:53.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2020, 21:05   #8186
BHPian

Top-loaders vs. Front-loaders

Right! While the Front-loaders do treat clothes more gently, in actual usage I've never felt like my clothes were being ripped apart by US type Top-loaders at least. In fact I too still have 10+ year old clothes that survived US Top-loaders well enough to be still serviceable. In any case, I usually do tend to get tired of clothes much before they get anywhere near the end of their lives, Top-loaders or not.

I'm kind of surprised that so many Indians think Top-loaders ruin clothes when Indian dhobis are not exactly an extinct breed yet, -- the same dhobis that (to paraphrase Mark Twain) use clothes to break stones!
meerkat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th September 2020, 10:24   #8187
BHPian

Quote:
But basically we are looking for a bigger fridge since the existing samsung has worked well for 10 years and hasnt had a single issue so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
In my opinion if you have the space for them, having two medium sized refrigerators rather than one large one has a lot of advantages
As you say the current refrigerator is going strong. Why discard a perfectly working refrigerator. Add another one.
I was in the same dilemma a few years ago. Luckily I went in for a 150 liter deep freezer instead of buying a larger fridge. My Samsung fridge has lesser load in the freezer compartment while the deep freezer has been a blessing in these Covid days. I can buy meat and vegetables in adequate quantities at one go.
Nothing to beat a deep freezer when it comes to preserving food for a long time. It keeps the internal temperature from -18 to -24 degree C.
Prowler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2020, 11:04   #8188
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akg7091 View Post
Croma refused to come below INR 1lac for this model
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Yes they have, apparently.
I just picked up the LG last month for 93k!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
I was in the same dilemma a few years ago. Luckily I went in for a 150 liter deep freezer instead of buying a larger fridge.
Gentlemen, thanks for your views and feedback. Let me clarify a few things:
  • Buying a second refrigerator is ruled out since we stay in an apartment and the kitchen is modular. To fit the SBS refrigerator, we have to make a few alterations so space is a premium.
  • We are vegetarians at home so too much of freezer space or a deep freezer doesnt work for us either.
  • The initial idea was to look at a 400+L fridge with the conventional top freezer design. However, the freezer portion does take up a good volume and even though they offer the convert option, it is useless unless you are not having anything to freeze. And these models have huge doors and a wide front look.
  • By this time, the line of SBS fridges caught our attention and impressed us with the number of racks, door storage options, as well as value added features. The two smaller doors looked a lot better personally since they opened out in a compact fashion compared to one huge door swinging out.
  • The price difference was also not much considering the differences and the options were also higher.
This made us decide on going for an SBS even though now it requires a wall unit to be moved by a few inches to accomodate it.

For those who have got this model, any reasons you chose LG over Samsung and vice versa?
Old 9th September 2020, 12:16   #8189
BHPian

Sorry to interrupt the ongoing Washing Machine discussions, but i need some help in choosing a new Microwave Oven. Our current 30L LG Microwave conked off after serving us well for 12 Yrs. Am not up to date on the latest in Microwaves as in new technology and which brand is good, reliable and will serve us well long term like the LG one did. We have a Bajaj OTG for Baking purpose. Budget is around 10k. Will a Solo suffice or better to go for a Convection Model? We are a family of 2 + 1, but 20L looks a bit small for me. Somewhere around 20 - 25L Capacity would be Ok i think. Reading back few pages, just discovered that Panasonic is also good in Microwaves. Was not aware of it.

Came across the below 2 Models just browsing on Amazon that fits my Budget and has decent reviews.

https://www.amazon.in/Samsung-Convection-Microwave-MC28H5013AK-Black/dp/B00K63CGNU/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=samsung+microwave&qid =1599633030&sr=8-3

https://www.amazon.in/Samsung-Convection-Microwave-CE73JD-B-XTL/dp/B00AFABKO0/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=samsung+microwave&qid =1599633030&sr=8-4

Would it be preferable to buy it Offline in a Store or Online should be Ok for Microwaves? I have purchased Laptops earlier from Amazon, but Microwave being a heavy appliance and reading few negative reviews of dents and cracks, am a bit skeptical about it.

Would appreciate some guidance on the above.
Thanks in advance...
Old 9th September 2020, 13:45   #8190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
There is different powder for front loaders. It gives less foam. Last shopping trip I made a mistake and got "top-loader." Machining gives "too much foam error."
I have always used top loader fully automatic machines, and currently on my third one. Always Whirlpool. Previously I did not care what detergent I used, but was using liquid detergents for a long time. Currenntly using top loader specific liquid detergents after buying the third machine.

The main problem with using normal detergent powders is the scale build up inside the drum. It builds up faster with hot wash cycles. The problem will be minimized with the use of "matic" designated liquid detergents. "Front matic" will give less suds than "top matic", which in turn will cause lesser suds than hand wash detergents. A two litre refill pack costs Rs 370 but available for Rs 270 at Amazon from time to time during special offers. I always buy three or four packs during such times.

Washing machine companies are running a big scam with their descale powder sales. They recommend one clean every thirty wash cycles. In a home like ours where the machine does one load daily and two loads every alternate day, this can cost as much as the detergent cost itself. A single use pack costs Rs 150 even if we buy from Amazon. Does anyone use any alternative, cheaper method for descaling?
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed