Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2020, 06:11   #8326
BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Single mother of teenage daughter wants top-loader washing machine

She tends to seek my wife's advice on numerous things, and thinks that I'm the all-knowing on gadgets. Of course, that is not at all true, and on this one I haven't a clue.

Requirement is low cost, long-lasting, reliable and fairly simple. She says up to 20k, my hunch is that a lot cheaper would do.

Suggestions please?
Fits the requirements you mentioned. Durable, simple easy to maintain. Bought multiples of this unit, no issues over past 5 years of regular use.

https://www.amazon.in/Haier-Fully-Au.../dp/B009OZFZZC
grazd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2020, 11:13   #8327
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
LG was my first thought. Wife reminds me that the LG machine we had for a few years was a disaster, but I'm prepared to accept that it was one of a rare bad batch as most other experiences are positive.
Unlike the fully mechanical appliances of yesteryear, modern appliances are full of electronics, which has its plus and minus points.

The plus is that they are more efficient and consume less power. The minus is that the electronic modules are temperamental and may pack up without any notice.

That is why after sales service plays an important role in consumer satisfaction, and LG has one of the best all India service network as well as a positive attitude towards repairs (sadly lacking in many Western Appliance Manufacturers).

That is the reason I always recommend LG/Samsung over other major appliance brands.
Aroy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th November 2020, 11:38   #8328
BHPian

Quote:

She tends to seek my wife's advice on numerous things, and thinks that I'm the all-knowing on gadgets. Of course, that is not at all true, and on this one I haven't a clue.

Requirement is low cost, long-lasting, reliable and fairly simple. She says up to 20k, my hunch is that a lot cheaper would do.

Suggestions please?
Just a heads up. I recently bought a entry level Whirlpool fully automatic top loader as my 2nd machine after being transferred to Delhi. The WM cost me around 11.5K, it is 6KG. But I'm not satisfied with the wash quality. Especially I often find clothes covered with lint for no reason (no lint generating clothes) when washed in the machine. It doesn't have any additional lint filter but says on the top of the machine that it has automatic lint cleaning or something like that.

I'd not recommend that machine. I had a LG 5.5 KG front loader at home for 10 years. Recently replaced it with another LG 8 KG frontloader as my washing requirements gone up. My experience with LG so far is touchwood.
archat68 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2020, 07:03   #8329
Senior - BHPian

Stay away from Whirlpool. I had a bad experience with my fridge and washing machine, both Whirlpool products. I replaced the washing machine with an LG circa 2016-17. Touchwood so far. The front door of the the fridge has rust spots all over. I actually paid a premium for this particular paint shade (silver metallic) over the regular red colour and guess what, its this very portion that has rust.
Old 14th November 2020, 07:39   #8330
BHPian

Quote:
Suggestions please?
Samsung's WA65N4261SS or WA65N4260FF/TL

I bought this model but in 7.0kg variant for 19500 in 2018.
It's so silent in function that you actually need to go near it to hear it work. The cleaning is also very efficient but what I liked the most is its sturdy top door. It's strong and heavy. Absolutely love it.
RavSam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2020, 09:51   #8331
BHPian

On the topic of Washing Machine silence, my IFB Top Loader is the total opposite. It's Drum makes hell lot of noise while Spinning. Any pointers as to what might be the Issue for a quick fix or do i call the IFB Guy?
Old 14th November 2020, 10:46   #8332
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi3284 View Post
On the topic of Washing Machine silence, my IFB Top Loader is the total opposite. It's Drum makes hell lot of noise while Spinning. Any pointers as to what might be the Issue for a quick fix or do i call the IFB Guy?
If the current IFB is similar to what we had then
1. The drum motor has a belt drive.
2. There is a big stone fixed at the top to damp the vibrations.

When the stone is loose or has been displaced, our machine would vibrate like mad and dance around. Check the stone and tighten the mountings if it is loose. There is no nothing else that you can do.
Old 14th November 2020, 12:08   #8333
BHPian

Not sure if this has been discussed before.
I have a bad experience with an appliance bought off the Amazon sale. It was a washing machine from an unbranded company. Recently some parts broke. It was almost impossible to get a replacement. The machine may cost you a few thousands less while buying, but when something breaks you will suffer badly and might have to scrap it for lack of parts. Many of these Amazon only or Flipkart only brands are mere assemblers with no responsibility.

Even if it costs a bit more, buy something from a brand that has a good service presence like Whirlpool, Electrolux, Onida, IFB, Bosch, Samsung etc.
Cessna182 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th November 2020, 12:09   #8334
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
The rope was probably soaked in the electrolyte or water which results in conductivity resulting in a shock.
Weirdly this power leakage is now not being witnessed. I refilled the water in both the batteries and when i checked a few days later, this is not happening but guess cannot rely on it and need to be cautious always.
I purchased a 12v car tyre inflator for my sons cycle and hooked up a 12v socket to my inverter battery yesterday. The inflator seems to work fine but the torch is not coming on, though it did during my initial tests. I then tested it in my car with the engine running and the torch works fine there.
Is this a safe use of the inverter battery? My son will probably inflate his cycle tyre once a week at best.
Attached Thumbnails
The Home Appliance thread-1605335928810.jpg  

Old 15th November 2020, 10:22   #8335
BHPian

Quote:

Panasonic is another trustworthy brand you can try. In our extended families, we have 3 of these Panasonic Washing machines and they serve well. No all singing and dancing models - just plain old fashioned simple washing machines. eg:https://www.amazon.in/dp/B08B9756FB/...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Weirdly this power leakage is now not being witnessed. I refilled the water in both the batteries and when i checked a few days later, this is not happening but guess cannot rely on it and need to be cautious always.
The electrolyte/water must have dried in the rope and it no longer conducts electricity and hence no shock. Do NOT connect the UPS to the real ground as it might trigger a spectacular failure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
I purchased a 12v car tyre inflator for my sons cycle and hooked up a 12v socket to my inverter battery yesterday. The inflator seems to work fine but the torch is not coming on, though it did during my initial tests.
Is this a safe use of the inverter battery? My son will probably inflate his cycle tyre once a week at best.
For trivial loads like the inflating pump, connecting to the inverter battery is not an issue. The internal circuit has a threshold set at 14.3 V or higher which explain why the torch comes on when it is connected to the car battery with the engine revving.
Old 15th November 2020, 17:32   #8336
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for all the advice. They have gone to the shop and selected a Samsung. Samsung was also recommended by our local-street AC/etc repair man as being the best for long-term maintenance. The machine should run long after the warranty is forgotten.

I don't know what model/features they selected, but apparently they spent 17k.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 15:11   #8337
BHPian

Quote:
I have one of these things here. It covers the line to our submerged drainage pump. I don't think it has ever tripped.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdst_1 View Post
... RCCB
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
The intent... .
Quote:
Originally Posted by srini1785 View Post
Some RCCB/ELCB's come with a inbuilt test button. One such example is shown below. The trip amps limit ( delta current ) is usually 30ma... .
I have a tripping RCCB (just one occasion so far, it tripped, I tried to isolate the issue by switching off all MCBs) - electrician says geyser coil needs changing (he did not do any test to backup his diagnosis). The RCCB tripped even after switching off all the MCBs and with the geyser off. But after a while (30 minutes) everything is back to normal and I'm left wondering about the issue. Any thoughts?
Old 17th November 2020, 15:20   #8338
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
I have a tripping RCCB (just one occasion so far, it tripped, I tried to isolate the issue by switching off all MCBs) - electrician says geyser coil needs changing (he did not do any test to backup his diagnosis). The RCCB tripped even after switching off all the MCBs and with the geyser off. But after a while (30 minutes) everything is back to normal and I'm left wondering about the issue. Any thoughts?
Whats the make of the RCCB and its Amp rating. The RCCB can trip due to lightnings, when you hear a bursting sound in the area due to electrical arcing or transformer issues.
aim120 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 16:01   #8339
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
RCCB ( Residual current circuit breaker ) / ELCB ( Earth leakage circuit breaker) is used to detect earth faults. It monitors only the earth line and trips the phase lines in case it detects a delta current of more than 20mA ( i think). Earth faults can be momentary , for eg a wet cloth touching the phase wire to body. So i think its not unusual to have a tripping ELCB and 30 mins later the fault disappearing by itself.
srini1785 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 17:10   #8340
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aim120 View Post
Whats the make of the RCCB and its Amp rating. The RCCB can trip due to lightnings, when you hear a bursting sound in the area due to electrical arcing or transformer issues.
ABB, 25 amps, 30ma, but at the time there was no thunderstorm. But repeated tripping? I would reset it and it would work for about 5 minutes and trip again irrespective of load (all MCBs off). 30 minutes later, when the electrician came and unplugged the geyser everything went back to normal. I wanted to check again, so I plugged in the geyser, but this time it did not trip! And it has been that way since (couple of days).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks