Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2020, 22:25   #8356
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
Request feedback on LG Dishwasher please. We had booked a Bosch 13 plate setting model way back in July and after 5 months there is still no concrete delivery date. .
We picked up an IFB Neptune VX Plus 15 place dishwasher from Devi Intnl. Stocks were zero for quite some time, but got lucky last month. We were looking for the Neptune VX for almost 5-6 weeks, but when the Neptune VX plus came in (very few pieces, he said) - we just picked it up though was a little higher priced than the one we were initially looking for.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 23rd November 2020 at 10:31. Reason: Typo
Old 22nd November 2020, 18:44   #8357
BHPian

We have this elica four burner hob whose brass burners have gone out of shape over the past three + years of usage. One brass one is so bad it is way off its position as in the pics. It is not an alignment or fit mistake. I tried filing it thinking it might sit but to no avail. A local gas stove repair mechanic suggested i take it to a lathe. Anyone know what the right approach should be? I didnt try the company as last time i asked them to change the jets they said no stock, same for the burners too. Very disappointed with the quality as our previous Indian make stoves never had this kind of issue at 1/6 of the cost.
Attached Thumbnails
The Home Appliance thread-1606050811540.jpg  

The Home Appliance thread-1606050824467.jpg  

The Home Appliance thread-img_20201122_183724.jpg  

Last edited by diyguy : 22nd November 2020 at 18:47.
Old 22nd November 2020, 23:52   #8358
BHPian

Quote:
Request feedback on LG Dishwasher please.
So, are LG dishwashers better than Bosch? The German brand seems to be a pioneer in dishwashers whereas LG is still relatively new in this segment.
I bought LG dishwasher couple of months back at 53k directly from LG outlet. Since Bosch was not available at that time, I purchased LG only because of its availability.

Just from pure day to day usage perspective, Bosch can do what all LG can do. The extras that LG punches is WiFi connectivity thing which is honestly useless to me. Unless you are someone who wants to play around with all kind of different predefined cycles and the ones which can be downloaded from WiFi, the extras that LG packs in will most likely be very less utilized.

Once I figured out which settings worked for me, the machine typically runs on that setting by default everyday for me. And it runs flawlessly. I am happy with the product.

My friend got his hands on a Bosch one at the same time and I have experienced that machine as well. It does all that my LG does.

The plus with LG at my place is the service availability as compared to Bosch. So keep a lookout on this aspect. Also there is a 10 year warranty on the inverter motor which is very reassuring from LG.

One thing that I will like to point out is that LG dishwasher is imported from Korea or in some cases China. Mine was from Korea. So it is at par with Bosch and Siemens as far as quality is concerned. I have often seen folks rating Bosch better than LG, but this appliance is an exception.

I hope the above experience helps you to make your decision.

Last edited by headbanger : 22nd November 2020 at 23:53.
Old 23rd November 2020, 07:03   #8359
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
We picked up an IFB Neptune VX Plus 15 place dishwasher from Devi Intnl. Stocks were zero for quite some time, but got lucky last month. We were looking for the Neptune VX for almost 5-6 weeks, but when the Neptune VX plus came in (very few pieces, he said) - we just picked it up though was a little higher priced than the one we were initially looking for.

Thanks for your feedback! IFB seems to be good option too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headbanger View Post

Just from pure day to day usage perspective, Bosch can do what all LG can do. The extras that LG punches is WiFi connectivity thing which is honestly useless to me. Unless you are someone who wants to play around with all kind of different predefined cycles and the ones which can be downloaded from WiFi, the extras that LG packs in will most likely be very less utilized...

I think you summed up the comparison between LG and Bosch just right! My first preference was always Bosch and we booked one nearly 6 months ago. But after waiting for 6 months we lost our patience and hence started looking at an alternative. LG on the other hand seems to be available in many places and hence we are almost on the verge of finalising one. The flip side to LG is its Cost. I remember booking highest model in Bosch for around 44k, after some discounts, way back in June. But LG is close to 60k. However the current prices of Bosch too is hovering around 54k for the 13 plate setting while the 12 plate setting seems to be around 42-45k. There are some cash backs on offer for LG, so hopefully the eventual price would be lower.

Also, there is one issue that I keep hearing from all reviews of LG, they say that in case of a power cut during the cycle, the machine starts from the beginning when power resumes. I checked with the LG technician as well, but did not get a satisfactory answer. Any feedback on this please?

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 23rd November 2020 at 10:33. Reason: Quoted post edited, and trimmed second quote.
Old 23rd November 2020, 09:50   #8360
BHPian

Quote:
Also, there is one issue that I keep hearing from all reviews of LG, they say that in case of a power cut during the cycle, the machine starts from the beginning when power resumes. I checked with the LG technician as well, but did not get a satisfactory answer. Any feedback on this please?
Yes. The cycle starts again basis my experience. But again, electricity in my area has improved manifolds. I get SMS from electricity board if there is a scheduled cut.

My experience tells me that the learning curve on dishwashers and managing expectations right from the machine are important aspects rather than the brands themselves. You will need to plan the usage time of dishwasher--cycle times are long. Unlike other appliances, all of the options are of high quality and there is very little to differentiate them apart from price.

Since dishwashers are hot selling post covid, prices have been jacked up. Just for reference, Bosch 12 plate setting was retailing at 27k just before pandemic struck.
Old 23rd November 2020, 10:13   #8361
BANNED

Quote:
So, are LG dishwashers better than Bosch?
I am one of the few who got a Bosch Dishwasher (DW) in pandemic time without any pandemic cess.

DW is a not something new, those are there for at least 100 years, only thing they are getting popular in India recently due to pandemic situation. Mechanically all of them are same.
Ideally in India one pays up a brand premium with LG/Samsung. But as someone mentioned, if Bosch and LG are at similar price bracket, you are free to pick up anything you want. Service wise, Bosch has good service presence in Metros and big cities as per my experience with my 10 years old WM. By the way, Bosch DWs are imported from Turkey as of now.
Just remember, more to machine, the supplies play more crucial role in cleaning. Please use better quality detergent and rinse-aid.
Old 23rd November 2020, 10:27   #8362
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
We have this elica four burner hob whose brass burners have gone out of shape over the past three + years of usage. One brass one is so bad it is way off its position as in the pics. It is not an alignment or fit mistake. I tried filing it thinking it might sit but to no avail. A local gas stove repair mechanic suggested i take it to a lathe. Anyone know what the right approach should be? I didnt try the company as last time i asked them to change the jets they said no stock, same for the burners too. Very disappointed with the quality as our previous Indian make stoves never had this kind of issue at 1/6 of the cost.
I think due to unsuitable nature of materials used on the burner and hub , they have become "out" ( layman language ). This happens when there is uneven expansion of material due to heat. Even if you turn the hub/burner in a lathe and fit it back , due to unsuitable properties of the base material they would continue with uneven expansion. Sorry cannot help you further.

Normal indian make burners and the hubs have a good 1-2mm gap between them to accommodate the expansion.
srini1785 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 12:54   #8363
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
The burner material cannot withstand the high heat generated by this design. I have experienced burners suddenly burning with a high blue flame and the material slowly turning red - sign that it is getting too hot.

Luckily in my case this type of operation with extra high heat comes rarely the sign is a rushing sound (some thing similar to the older primus stoves). It goes if I switch the burner off and restart it after some time.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 13:16   #8364
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your feedback! IFB seems to be good option too.

LG - we should be able to source for about 48-49k with discounts and cash backs put together(in chennai we got it to about 45k). Regarding reset of the cycle we went through multiple technicians and the trainer from the LG service explained that it would reset to the nearest reset point - namely wash, rinse or steam etc., not the entire cycle. DM me if you are interested I would get you in touch with some very good sales people(for both LG/Bosch)
Old 23rd November 2020, 14:11   #8365
Team-BHP Support

After several issues with our Siemens dishwasher (the unit we bought as well as the replacement unit), we ended up asking for a refund, which we got without a hassle.

We then bought the LG Dishwasher, fairly good experience so far.

Quote:
Also, there is one issue that I keep hearing from all reviews of LG, they say that in case of a power cut during the cycle, the machine starts from the beginning when power resumes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aadya View Post
Regarding reset of the cycle we went through multiple technicians and the trainer from the LG service explained that it would reset to the nearest reset point - namely wash, rinse or steam etc., not the entire cycle.
The other issue: at times, I start the dishwasher without opening the water valve (I keep it shut when not in use) and promptly get the IE error on the display. However, it stays even after I've opened the water tap. Does it keep trying or the only way is switch off the machine, and start in again.

The only thing I've not liked about the LG piece (vs. the Siemens) is the spacing of the dish area, both in the bottom basket as well as the top one. The dish holding prongs are far too close and the angle keeps them weirdly upright.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 14:35   #8366
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
After several issues with our Siemens dishwasher (the unit we bought as well as the replacement unit), we ended up asking for a refund, which we got without a hassle.
Looks like you ended up with a (rare) lemon ? And subsequently a second one ? Now that doesn't sound normal, maybe they replaced with a refurbished one, possibly cut corners (not tested/verified) due to high demand during the lockdown ? That's worse if true, speaks volumes about their quality processes. A bit shocked and surprised too since I haven't heard such first hand experiences from people using Siemens/Bosch dishwashers.
Old 23rd November 2020, 15:39   #8367
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Looks like you ended up with a (rare) lemon ? And subsequently a second one ? Now that doesn't sound normal, maybe they replaced with a refurbished one, possibly cut corners (not tested/verified) due to high demand during the lockdown ?
Probably. For the first one: the technician who came for the installation unboxed it and noticed a kat-kat sound on the door (possibly the hinge). He straightaway asked if this was a demo piece. When we said no, he got on the phone with his boss and they immediately asked if we wanted a refund/replacement. Since we asked for a replacement, we were told it'd be by Aug-end (this was in June first week btw). Out of nowhere, we got a replacement within three weeks. The machine worked fine as such but problems crept in very soon: the soap dispenser often didn't open or some soap got left, the door had a lot of soap residue, the top basket wouldn't go in until shoved, the interiors were discolored and what not. Again, to our surprise, we were straightaway asked if we wanted a refund/replacement. Promptly chose the former, bought the LG piece when we were told the refund was approved.

Technology wise, the Bosch/Siemens units seem fairly old too.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 15:54   #8368
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srini1785 View Post
I think due to unsuitable nature of materials used on the burner and hub , they have become "out" ( layman language ). This happens when there is uneven expansion of material due to heat. Even if you turn the hub/burner in a lathe and fit it back , due to unsuitable properties of the base material they would continue with uneven expansion. Sorry cannot help you further.

Normal indian make burners and the hubs have a good 1-2mm gap between them to accommodate the expansion.
As soon as the OP posted his problem, I Googled a bit and came to know quite a lot about aluminum versus brass burners. Also, searches showed Elica's warranty clearly disavowing any liability for deformed burners. Apparently brass burners are better at resisting this type of failure due to their higher melting point. But the OP has a brass burner, are you saying that the material itself was poorly made (the brass of inconsistent composition)? Could it be bad design? Or is something to do with the usage? I'm curious because I never imagined burners could deform - surely cooking is not an industrial process with extreme conditions!
Old 23rd November 2020, 16:57   #8369
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
As soon as the OP posted his problem, I Googled a bit and came to know quite a lot about aluminum versus brass burners. Also, searches showed Elica's warranty clearly disavowing any liability for deformed burners. Apparently brass burners are better at resisting this type of failure due to their higher melting point. But the OP has a brass burner, are you saying that the material itself was poorly made (the brass of inconsistent composition)? Could it be bad design? Or is something to do with the usage? I'm curious because I never imagined burners could deform - surely cooking is not an industrial process with extreme conditions!
It could be a combination of factors. It may be that this particular stove's burner is a lemon. From the photos , we can clearly make out that it has deformed as it does not fit the hub anymore. Brass has a melting point of 900 deg C ( i think) and normal gas temperature is around 1800 Deg C.

The flame temperature is a function of air/fuel mix ( now we are getting off topic ) so it may be that the particular burner is burning hotter that normal resulting in undue expansion.
srini1785 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 17:20   #8370
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
As soon as the OP posted his problem, I Googled a bit and came to know quite a lot about aluminum versus brass burners.
Back in 2017, we renovated our kitchen and replaced the old 15 year old built-in Faber hob (it had Aluminum burners) with a new one, Faber again because of our good experience with the old one

Around the same time, my cousin was also getting his new home's kitchen done and he had decided to go with Hafele's built-in hob with Brass burners, so I'd done some reading on the Aluminum Vs Brass burners on the net and was almost decided on getting Brass burners.

However, when we visited the Faber galleria, one of the Sales personnel there mentioned that from his own experience (customer feedback), the Aluminum burners were better and had longer life - this despite what is mentioned on the net (Brass burners are better for Indian style vessels and cooking). Coupled with our own earlier experience, we decided on the Italian (Brass) burners and so far they've been very good, touchwood no issues.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks