Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2021, 13:06   #8536
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Anybody using these 'all-in-one's' for laundry? We started using Tide pods, and clothes come out clean and smell great after every wash
Attached Thumbnails
The Home Appliance thread-img_6466.jpg  

Sebring is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2021, 19:46   #8537
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
All imports from EU. They make nothing here. Prices as a result are astronomical.
Prices of Miele in Europe are astronomical to start with! They are, allegedly, engineered and built to last decades rather than years.

In a you-bought-a-what? my mum bought a Miele clothes drier. I seem to remember that she paid GBP700 for it, over twenty years ago. Might have been more than her car was worth! When she died in 2006, I gave it to friends. They use it rarely, but it is still in perfect working order today.

I always wanted Miele stuff. Aspirational, and way above my means!

I should say that anyone who can afford it would be safe to buy. My only hesitation would be wondering if full spares support would be available here for the lifetime of the product. Even Rolls Royce is not beyond something going wrong.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2021, 18:11   #8538
Senior - BHPian

Any recommendations for a home use Dry/Wet vacuum cleaner? So many brands and models are confusing. I don’t mind a little premium, but I’m looking for something reliable and durable.

From Eureka Forbes, Prestige, Insalco, American Micronic, Bosch - so many and extremely confusing. I was about to close in on Bosch and their options of 3 models again made me pause.
Old 23rd January 2021, 18:43   #8539
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Any recommendations for a home use Dry/Wet vacuum cleaner? So many brands and models are confusing. I don't mind a little premium, but I'm looking for something reliable and durable.

From Eureka Forbes, Prestige, Insalco, American Micronic, Bosch
Same here. I would have taken one from Black 'n Decker but the have reusable bags. Or Inalsa, but they need to swap filters when changing from blower and suction mode. And this thread loves to hate Eureka Forbes. Most brands are just sti"kered and packed in China - just copies of each other.

Power supply is rated at 220 - 230V, which means anything with rated power above 1200 W needs more than 6A socket - an 16A power socket. It is not available in all rooms in my rented apartment.

I'd have taken a cordless one too. That is 4 - 6X the budget of others. But they need a wall mounted dock or whatever. And rated power is far below 1000W.

The brandless one at my parents' is about 6 - 7 year old, used maybe once a month and needs a 16A power socket. So I made a real long extension cord for it. (That place is off - grid solar and this works off a non-smoker source if used at all). Cleaning is easy - just dump the container. And brush the dust off the washable filter (it has a fabric cover around it - dunno if this is what they call a HEPA filter). And I frequently change from suction to blower without having to do anything.

I'm not brand conscious. I'd appreciate auto-retract power cord. And 6A power. Wall mount docks are a pain in a rented place for me. Maybe, non-fixed socks will help. Has to reach the ceiling - 3.4m height, I guess to clean the cobwebs.

In short, no vacuum for me. Unless somebody helps me out. ;-D
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2021, 02:19   #8540
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
dunno if this is what they call a HEPA filter)
HEPA is a standard (Wikipedia link). If it is, I'd expect it to say so. The filter on my flood-lost Dyson certainly did.
Old 24th January 2021, 09:28   #8541
Senior - BHPian

Guys need suggestions for a front load washing machine and a separate dryer.
Need a 8kg+ machine to wash cloths as well as light quilts, pillows etc.
I've been looking at Bosch, IFB etc. I found the Bosch Dryers to be on the expensive side. Washing machines based on capacity seem to be similarly priced.

Have you guys had any experience with them on reliability, usability, effectiveness and service availability?

Thanks in advance.
Old 24th January 2021, 09:30   #8542
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagr22 View Post
I have been using this model since a year and the only weak link in it is the jar coupler. trouble.

The mixie itself is.....
We have the same Preethi mixie in the Platinum variant, which was purchased in 2011 for some 44xx. Ours is going on strong. There were a couple of times the motor had to be rewound or something. Dont recall what had happened, but got it repaired locally for 900 and 500 bucks respectively.
Out of the 4 jars which came during the purchase, I have replaced 2 (the long and the medium). I have replaced the original 4 point abs coupler with a black rubber 8 point coupler in all the jars and even this keeps going kaput at least annually.

Other than the coupler issue, the mixie has been quite diligently doing its duty. At my moms place the same mixie was due to be replaced after 8 years and was replaced with the same model just a couple of days back.
Old 24th January 2021, 09:45   #8543
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
We have the same Preethi mixie in the Platinum variant, which was purchased in 2011 for some 44xx. Ours is going on strong. There were a couple of times the motor had to be rewound or something. Dont recall what had happened, but got it repaired locally for 900 and 500 bucks respectively.
Out of the 4 jars which came during the purchase, I have replaced 2 (the long and the medium). I have replaced the original 4 point abs coupler with a black rubber 8 point coupler in all the jars and even this keeps going kaput at least annually.

Other than the coupler issue, the mixie has been quite diligently doing its duty. At my moms place the same mixie was due to be replaced after 8 years and was replaced with the same model just a couple of days back.
This is a classic case of how advertising or the reputation of a product influences our perception about it. You say you had the coil rewound a couple of times and the jars failed many times, and yet you seem to be recommending it!
Just saw that we have a Preethi Ecochef that I always assumed was a Phillips. We've had no problems with it so far (mostly because it is used lightly - coconut chutney or maybe tomato chutney, and I made peanut butter once). I can't even tell if this Preethi is any different from the decades old Sumeet at my mom's.
mvadg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th January 2021, 10:03   #8544
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Any recommendations for a home use Dry/Wet vacuum cleaner? So many brands and models are confusing. I don’t mind a little premium, but I’m looking for something reliable and durable.

From Eureka Forbes, Prestige, Insalco, American Micronic, Bosch - so many and extremely confusing. I was about to close in on Bosch and their options of 3 models again made me pause.
There's only one brand I'd recommend for that - Karcher. They are pretty damn good and very reliable.
reignofchaos is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th January 2021, 11:04   #8545
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
There's only one brand I'd recommend for that - Karcher. They are pretty damn good and very reliable.
Karcher is highly recommended. I have the their K4 pressure washer and a WD5 vacuum cleaner both of whom are excellent and robust. We also have a Dyson V8 Animal Plus handheld one which is invaluable for its portability.

Some points to ponder when you buy an expensive cleaner:

Clarity about the form factor. The traditional wheeled ones can be bulky and heavy especially in a multi-level environment.
What is the cleanliness level required?
Do you have pets?
Do you have carpets (especially the thick ones)?
Who will actually use it and how many times a week?
Is noise a concern?

These modern gadgets will easily last a decade if kept properly. We also have a ancient Samsung bagless vacuum which is 21 years old and still working perfectly!
Old 25th January 2021, 11:24   #8546
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Karcher is highly recommended. I have the their K4 pressure washer and a WD5 vacuum cleaner both of whom are excellent and robust. We also have a Dyson V8 Animal Plus handheld one which is invaluable for its portability.

Some points to ponder when you buy an expensive cleaner:
Totally agree with what you say. I only use the karcher for tougher stains and outdoors where the Dyson doesn't work. It makes no sense lugging the karcher everywhere when the Dyson (I have a v11 absolute) does the job effectively.
reignofchaos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2021, 14:57   #8547
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
I distinctly remember some APC inverters having different terminals for different capacity batteries.
I went ahead and cancelled my APC 850va inverter order and got a Luminous 900va one. The Luminous supports batteries upto 200ah and it works well now. Yes the apc has a switch at the back to select the capacity of the battery and goes upto 180ah. The luminous just supports battery types - Tubular/Short etc.
Here is a pic of a stand i just purchased to house my inverters and their batteries.
Attached Thumbnails
The Home Appliance thread-1611653230586.jpg  

diyguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2021, 16:31   #8548
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
I went ahead and cancelled my APC 850va inverter order and got a Luminous 900va one.
From whom did you buy the Luminous? I need to buy one for our terrace room cum flood-escape studio flat.
Old 26th January 2021, 17:02   #8549
BHPian

Quote:
Totally agree ....(I have a v11 absolute) does the job effectively.
I have smooth tiled floors in my house. Is Dyson good for such floorings? Or is it better for carpeted floors only?
Old 26th January 2021, 17:35   #8550
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
From whom did you buy the Luminous? I need to buy one for our terrace room cum flood-escape studio flat.
Amazon sale with 10% instant discount. However there was another dealer who was cheaper and you can buy from him. www.mahadevtyres.com - I have no affiliation to him. If you are inclined to APC then the cheapest ever for the 850va is at apc.estorewale.com/product/apc-home-ups-bi850sine-in/
diyguy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed