Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2021, 17:25   #8671
BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
I very seriously doubt people change their white goods every 6-12 months. TVs maybe, Mobiles very high chances.

That said, most of these are sold off to bulk buyers who either sell them off as second hand (good market) or sell it to scrap dealers.

A used fridge buyback would be some 1000 odd bucks and washing machines would be even cheaper than that.
No he is referring to a new model getting launched 6-12 months as opposed to a customer changing it so frequently. Even if the changes are cosmetic, you as a customer will prefer to pick the latest one when at the showroom, isn't it.

And no, these goods are not sold as second hand or as scrap. These are fully functional units and are managed differently. Think of it as a Display/TD car - It will not go to a scrap dealer right? You can get 20-30% on it but it will still be a fully functional car isn't it? And in some cases, you will still be the first owner of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8002? View Post
Slightly off topic.
Does anyone know what happens to the appliances that are not sold ( in the shop or warehouse ). There would be 1000s of units across the country that have not been picked up by customers. Similarly on the display units. The Reliance near my house had some 30+ fridges of various sizes/brands in display.

The problem is acute these days with models being changed almost every 6-12 months and everyone wants the latest model immediately.

I rarely see any big discount/clearance sale for items that are unboxed but manufactured, say 1 year back.
While we keep our appliances for long (TV, Fridge and Washing Machine) - running into at-least 10 years - I have always bought such items only.

To answer your question, these appliances go back to distributors or company (in case of large distributors) and they then in turn sell it to dealers who exclusively deal with such items only. I have a couple of known outlets/dealers and I buy from them only - Brand is always Samsung in my case.

But mind you - it is a process that will need patience and 1-2 cosmetic defects are part of the deal due to multiple shifts of the device. Brand options are also limited as they typically deal with 1-2 brands only. It is not easy for them to carry such a large inventory across brands. Warranty is usually reduced than a standard package. Price Mark-off is usually between 20-50% depending upon the condition of the item and not in relation to its age.

Last edited by sunilch : 31st March 2021 at 17:30.
sunilch is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st March 2021, 17:32   #8672
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilch View Post
Price Mark-off is usually between 20-50% depending upon the condition of the item and not in relation to its age.
How do you know these stores from the regular ones?

This is what I was looking for. Even I keep my appliances for 10+ years. My LG fridge is running flawlessly for 18+ years ( touchwood ) seeing 3 house moves!!
For such appliances I can buy an unit manufactured 1 year ago which wouldnt be the current model on sale. At the same time, its not outdated on features.

Last edited by m8002? : 31st March 2021 at 17:56. Reason: typo
Old 31st March 2021, 17:40   #8673
BHPian

Quote:
How do you know these stores from the regular ones?

This is what I was looking for. Even I keep my appliances for 10+ years. My LG fridge is running flawlessing for 18+ years ( touchwood ) seeing 3 house moves!!
For such appliances I can buy an unit manufactured 1 year ago which wouldnt be the current model on sale. At the same time, its not outdated on features.
They don't usually have a Display Showroom as that would defeat the purpose

Asking around is the best way to get to a store in your City. They are few and are usually in an industrial sector/warehouse area. I don't know about Bangalore, but if you are in Thane - I can share the same. Try to check some classifieds online or offline and make 1-2 calls. You may get a lead.

Again - be ready to make 2-3 visits to such a dealer to pick what you will like at a price you will be happy to pay. Warranty is typically reduced.

Just for Info - I picked a fresh Samsung refrigerator model (not at all old) at 33% discount from the MRP 4 years back and have not faced any issue with it. I picked a Samsung Washing Machine Fully Automatic (6months old model) at 40% discount over the MRP 5 years back. Showrooms can give you 10-15% discount at max - inclusive of the CC deal, if any. This is based on my experience so far.

Last edited by sunilch : 31st March 2021 at 17:44.
sunilch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2021, 22:32   #8674
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyPlanet View Post
only to find a 6 month waiting for Bosch.

Is it worthwhile picking up Siemens or better to wait for Bosch supply chains to get fullfill the order
Did you buy one? I'm in the same boat, and would be great to hear your findings.

Also, do people on the forum have any comments about the 10k+ premium that Bosch-Serie 4 (or Siemens iQ300) commands over Serie 6 (Siemens iQ500)? Varioflex (which allows to raise/lower the second rack) and the third top rack appear useful to me. But, would be good to hear real-world feedback on usability of these. Another difference is power efficiency, but if the other features are not very useful, paying 10k+ just for power efficiency is questionable.
Old 1st April 2021, 10:13   #8675
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was referring to the "unsold" inventory of last year models in the shops and warehouses. Not people changing the appliance after 12 months. Those are as good as new since they have not even been upacked.

In iPhone terms, what does Apple do with the unsold iPhone X/XR phones? They are now not available in the Apple store.
Sorry, i figured it out wrong

As far as appliances go, previous year's unsold models are sold off at discounted prices if the dealer wants to make way for new models/to clear off inventory.

This is far more obvious in TVs and of course electronic gadgets like phones, laptops but lesser in white goods.

Display units of TVs and Phones can be had for very good prices, you can also look for dented white goods which will also have a decent discount since the brand generally provides a support to the dealer for transit damaged stocks.
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2021, 12:42   #8676
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilch View Post
While we keep our appliances for long (TV, Fridge and Washing Machine) - running into at-least 10 years - I have always bought such items only.
Quote:
This is what I was looking for. Even I keep my appliances for 10+ years.
Does the extra savings matter in the long run, especially since you plan to keep hold of the item for a decade? Buying an older model is fine, but hunting for display or damaged items from tire II showrooms is not worth the headache IMO. One lemon is enough to wipe out any savings.
Old 1st April 2021, 12:57   #8677
BHPian

Agree on display or slightly damaged items. I was more interested in the unboxed older model.
Also, I dont see the older model any more riskier than the current one just off the assembly line. The %age of defective ones would be the same I feel.
Old 1st April 2021, 17:59   #8678
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47 View Post
Did you buy one? I'm in the same boat, and would be great to hear your findings.
I was lucky enough to get a Serie 2 in December. I was told 6 months wait but i casually dropped by after a couple of months to enquire on how much the queue backlog was and the dealer said he could supply next week provided I paid in full (which i duly did).
Happy with the purchase - abolutely yes.
LonelyPlanet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2021, 19:58   #8679
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
I'm looking for 2 fans for a fairly large room about 12' x 15', will probably go with the Superfan V1.
Finally got couple of Superfan X1's, cost Rs.3800 each, bought off their website (there was a Rs.500 off MRP on each fan and free installation).
Didn't hear from them after the fan was delivered by DTDC, so I registered a service request on the website with a comment for my preferred date. Still didn't hear from them probably because of holidays and finally spoke to customer service on the phone and a local electrician came home few hours later.
The fan comes with remote and also works with a normal fan regulator.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2021, 20:14   #8680
BHPian

Quote:
Finally...
Regular fan regulator? Seems unlikely. Please double check with the factory.
Old 1st April 2021, 20:34   #8681
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
Regular fan regulator? Seems unlikely. Please double check with the factory.
I have working proof at my home , fan speeds can be changed using the remote as well as the electrical fan regulator (using the same Roma modular fan regulators that were working with the older ceiling fans that we now replaced with Superfan models).
It's also mentioned in the product manual with a schematic diagram.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2021, 11:15   #8682
BHPian

Quote:
I have working proof at my home , fan speeds can be changed using the remote as well as the electrical fan regulator (using the same Roma modular fan regulators that were working with the older ceiling fans that we now replaced with Superfan models).
My understanding on reading from the web is that the normal regulator should always be at full speed and you are to control only using the remote. I did evaluate them for replacement earlier and then skipped it following some bad reviews.
Old 2nd April 2021, 11:57   #8683
BHPian

I have four Superfans in my home. One is working perfectly now after six-and-a-half years, a A1 model.

One V1 model failed after five years, it took Rs.530 for the electronics-board replacement.

You are supposed to use only the remote-control for speed-adjustments and to byepass older type regulators.
manim is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2021, 15:15   #8684
BHPian

After 15 years of flawless service our LG convection oven conked last month. In convection mode, there was noise from the rear side. The LG technician who visited us opened the rear cover and showed us the highly rusted fan. Two blades of the fan just snapped when pressed. He mentioned that the spare ones are not available any longer. If required, he can source some from outside for 1500. Yesterday, when my wife was baking bread, there was a huge sound in the rear of the oven and I suppose the other blades also must have given way. Need to get them removed ASAP.

Wife is very much into baking cakes, breads, pizzas, buns etc. Now we are planning to buy an OTG and use the LG oven for heating purpose. Space is an issue but can manage keeping the OTG elsewhere.

We are family of three, vegetarians and very much bake the stuff mentioned above. Which OTG is recommended? We will go to Reliance today to have a look at Morphy Richards and Bajaj but not yet finalized on which one to buy.

What capacity might be the right fit? Saw a Morphy Richards 24 liter one in relative's house which we felt was small.
Old 2nd April 2021, 16:31   #8685
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
.You are supposed to use only the remote-control for speed-adjustments and to byepass older type regulators.
Quote:
My understanding on reading from the web is that the normal regulator should always be at full speed ...
Quote:
I'm guessing that all this speed control is being done using a microprocessor. It senses the speed settings on the ordinary regulator and does whatever is necessary. When I bought the Superfan many years ago, I wasn't completely familiar with the workings of a BLDC motor and assumed that a normal regulator would be able to control the fan speed in addition to the remote. Luckily, I wrote to them, and was told it would not work. The way the motor works, it is unaffected by mains voltage. The speed remains the same even if the voltage falls drastically (up to a limit).

If they are now allowing the use of a normal regulator, it means they have a new controller chip in the fan. Nice!

https://www.ti.com/lit/pdf/sloa203

Yes, they do have a controller that will sense your the speed setting on the wall regulator. I think you can also control the speed by toggling the on off switch to send the controller a speed setting!
Attached Thumbnails
The Home Appliance thread-screenshot_20210402174106_adobe-acrobat.jpg  

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 6th April 2021 at 12:13. Reason: Merged back to back posts. Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks