Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2021, 19:05   #8836
BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by LobsterB View Post
Do you want to consider Whirlpool also?

The title and feature list says convection, but I am not 100% sure that these have fan based convection. Since these are models imported from Europe where a separate oven is typically used for baking purposes, please double confirm this.
Thanks for the suggestion LobsterB, but I am vary of considering Whirlpool given my not so good experience with the washing machine we have.

I will still checkout reviews on these.

KK
Old 29th July 2021, 19:06   #8837
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
For our new house for the following appliances:

For the kitchen appliances we decided to stick to Faber as we have a good experience with them. Croma offered much better rates than Amazon.

Built in Oven: FABER FBIO 80L 6F
Source: Croma
Price: Around 32K (after a lot of haggling)

Chimney: Faber Crest Plus HC SC BK 90
Source: Croma
Price: Around 14K

These appliances will be delivered over the weekend.
Hey hiren.mistry, can you give feedback on the Faber Oven and Chimney? I am considering buying a Faber Microwave and I see many negative reviews on service and product as well.

Did you buy any extended warranty from a third party? Is it worth for Faber products, like the ones from Onsitego, Oneassist etc?

My other option is a 34 ltr IFB microwave. Both are built-in types.

KK
Old 29th July 2021, 20:23   #8838
Senior - BHPian

Faber service is really good in Mumbai. Not so in Bangalore
Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata View Post
Hey hiren.mistry, can you give feedback on the Faber Oven and Chimney? I am considering buying a Faber Microwave and I see many negative reviews on service and product as well.
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2021, 20:25   #8839
Distinguished - BHPian

What is the overall opinion on carbon based chimneys? Anyone using these?
Old 2nd August 2021, 23:22   #8840
BHPian

Is someone using or knows someone who is using inline water softner (rather conditioner) from a company Aqua Conditioners? Their system is not a salt based system and hence there is no hassle of regeneration and frequent maintenance. System size is also quite compact. I am inclined towards it but would like to hear from someone who has first hand experience.
Old 4th August 2021, 12:18   #8841
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srini1785 View Post
A better idea. SPD's are available at 5kA up to 50kA (i think) and offer LED indication of replacement. In most cases, the power strips only protect against Spikes and not Surges. These are two different things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
As usual Srini sir has hit the nail on the head. High Voltage spikes can enter your home through several paths - usually the first point of entry is the mains. Fit a heavy duty SPD at the mains.
Could you please recommend a good SPD for a 3-Phase AEH connection?
Also, could this be installed by local electrician OR do I need to get the lineman from the 'utility' do the install?

I suspect we lost one of our electronic device in the recent surge, and would like to have some protection at the earliest. I quickly bought the 'Belkin' surge protector strip from amazon to draw power for laptops. But, would like to have overall protection at the mains, for these events. Does this need separate earthing OR the one we have at the mains, be sufficient?

Last edited by JMaruru : 4th August 2021 at 12:40.
Old 4th August 2021, 15:42   #8842
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Never buy Elica. They're noisy as 'anything'. Faber is good, Bosch has a few good ones. But always ask for the quietest/silent models
Looking at the Bosch Models, they seem to come with the most powerful motor (350w) vs around 260w for the Hafele models. Not much of a price difference between the 90cms and the 120 cms model. Wonder if we should get the 120 cms model for a 3 burner hob. Bosch seems to be the best technically out there.

That said, who makes good hobs? I am veering to Hafele, they have some freedom deal going on at the moment.
Old 4th August 2021, 15:48   #8843
BHPian

Is there any D+W vacuum cleaner that can also be used as a car washer (foam)?
Old 4th August 2021, 16:39   #8844
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Could you please recommend a good SPD for a 3-Phase AEH connection?
Also, could this be installed by local electrician OR do I need to get the lineman from the 'utility' do the install?

I suspect we lost one of our electronic device in the recent surge, and would like to have some protection at the earliest. I quickly bought the 'Belkin' surge protector strip from amazon to draw power for laptops. But, would like to have overall protection at the mains, for these events. Does this need separate earthing OR the one we have at the mains, be sufficient?
Does your home / apartment have a lightning rod ( Class 3)?.

Surge is caused by Lightning strikes, if you have a lightning rod then that takes care of the primary strike, subsequent circuits carry only half or quarter of the surge current (of the order of 200kA) and hence can carry lower rating for surge currents (typically 5-10kA).
srini1785 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 22:24   #8845
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srini1785 View Post
Does your home / apartment have a lightning rod ( Class 3)?.

Surge is caused by Lightning strikes, if you have a lightning rod then that takes care of the primary strike, subsequent circuits carry only half or quarter of the surge current (of the order of 200kA) and hence can carry lower rating for surge currents (typically 5-10kA).
No, we do NOT have any lightening rod.

AFAIK, this surge came via 'mains' lines when they heard a loud bang and power went off. Later, we came to know of this electronic device NOT booting up again.
Some 'MCBs' had tripped and we had to bring it up again. We have plenty of commercial units around our place.

So, Is this NOT a 'surge' event? How do we mitigate these events?

Please advise!
Old 5th August 2021, 09:44   #8846
BHPian

Quote:
AFAIK, this surge came via 'mains' lines when they heard a loud bang and power went off.

Please advise!
Install SPD (Surge Protection Device) at the mains. Make sure that you have a good earth installed. These devices will protect against transient over voltages which are the primary reasons why sensitive electronics fail. The transients may be induced in the supply lines because of lightening or even by high inductive loads switching off. This is the first step in protecting your home.
I have given in an earlier thread where this SPD has to be installed. You can ask your electrician to install this. No need to call up the EB/utility company for installation.

Second level of protection calls for MOV (metal oxide varistor) to be installed in the sockets which feed your electronics. Typically buy a set of 275V/40A MOV and install them in every mains socket which feeds the electronics like computer, TV, Audio systems, Microwave ovens, Dish washers, Washing machines and Air conditioners. Just make sure that there is a MCB upstream before the MOV.

We used to suffer frequent failures several years ago. We installed these SPD and MOVs and after that - there is zero failure.
Prowler is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 5th August 2021, 10:11   #8847
BHPian

Quote:
AFAIK, this surge came via 'mains' lines when they heard a loud bang and power went off.
There is a difference. A surge through lightning is predominantly a current phenomenon while a power surge like the one that caused your house electronic failure is a voltage phenomenon. So while SPD's are rated for current (5/10,20kA) they may offer only limited protection against power line surges. I had explained the difference between a SPD and Spike buster somewhere on this thread earlier. A SPD uses a GDT or MOV while Spike buster is essentially a LC filter circuit.

Power line surges as @prowler had pointed out are caused mainly during a transient switching on/off. Since you say that there are a lot of commercial establishments near your house, there may be higher inductive loads (like motors for eg) resulting in poor power factor. Cutting short all this technical skull druggery, just install a SPD on the mains and use a spike buster with LC circuits like the one below near your sensitive devices and hope for the best.

The Home Appliance thread-surgeprotectoropen.jpg
srini1785 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2021, 22:56   #8848
Senior - BHPian

120 Cms looks massive i felt. 90 should be good enough. +Hafele hobs are the best. Just go for it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
That said, who makes good hobs? I am veering to Hafele, they have some freedom deal going on at the moment.
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2021, 06:59   #8849
BANNED

The top tray compartment of my fridge - the one right below the freezer - I am seeing a lot of water there - the top of that part is filled with water droplets. What can be the cause? It's a Godrej 300 odd liter fridge - around 5 years old.
Old 6th August 2021, 07:42   #8850
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
120 Cms looks massive i felt. 90 should be good enough. +Hafele hobs are the best. Just go for it
Brilliant. Will go and get one.

Any advice on a solid OTG that is not built in? All the euro OTGs seem only built in models. I figured a non built in model might be easier to service, clean, and generally replace or even reorganise where it is in the kitchen if ever.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks