Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2021, 07:45   #8881
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

My sister got this Kuvings Cold press Juicer for 16,200. It's good, but paying so much for a juicer doesn't sound right. Are there any cheaper options that are worthwhile?
Attached Thumbnails
The Home Appliance thread-screen-shot-20210813-7.42.49-am.png  

Old 13th August 2021, 07:50   #8882
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
My sister got this Kuvings Cold press Juicer for 16,200. It's good, but paying so much for a juicer doesn't sound right. Are there any cheaper options that are worthwhile?
The ones that are cheaper aren't worth it. For about 8-10 K, there are a few other options, but just looking at them, it's fairly apparent that they will not be able to manage the pressures unless you cut the fruits exactly into the size required. And then you see the reviews. Either they get stuck, or the container cracks up.

I picked this up a couple of years back, and then bought another one for my folks a year later.
In fact, I would suggest you spend even more more money, and get the sorbet maker for another 1.5-2k. That juicer just is worth it.

Last edited by mayankk : 13th August 2021 at 07:52.
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2021, 11:04   #8883
Team-BHP Support

My very very old water heater gave up a few weeks ago. It was an old brand Remson and over time the hard water ended up with deposits in the tube causing the water flow to reduce down to a trickle. The repair guy said the cost to open up and repair was 50% of a new water heater and even then this would not last too long after opening and welding.

SO I did a lot of research and narrowed down to 2 models AO Smith and Venus 25 litre.

The AO smith looked sleeker and I assumed (wrongly) customer service would be better. Ordered this model: https://www.amazon.in/AO-Smith-Stora...dp/B07RPLSGF1/

The old water heater repair guy had told me not to look at models with front facing elements and I assumed this model was not of that type. Generally the front facing elements are super compact square design vs the cylindrical design of traditional ones.

Later on I found out that this was actually a front facing coil model. The issue is that the coil is not down below but in the centre. This means the water at the bottom doesn't get as hot. If the coil is down below, the water remains hot at the bottom and heats up uniformly. The result is that in an AO smith the water does get very hot but the minute you start taking a shower it loses heat very quickly. The cold incoming water mixes with the hot water and you then get mixed cold and hot water in minutes. In my older geyser it would take much longer for the heat in the water to reduce. My old geyser repair guy confirmed this and said this is an issue with the square heaters that have the coil in the front. Always buy a model with the element in the bottom.

He also suggested not to trust Racold anymore. While they used to be the pioneers, the factory shut down 2 years back in Pune and the manufacturing has been outsourced to someone else in North India. This has resulted in poor QC vs before and should be avoided.

More than AO smith, his suggestion was to stick to old Indian brands like Venus: https://www.amazon.in/VENUS-025GV-25...dp/B01L7DEN2E/

AO Smith installation and service experience:

The worse was the service. AO smith process is smooth in SMS and live tracking of service request but the guys are absolute junk. The guy who came to install was some 20 something kid who had no experience in installing a water heater. He was in a hurry to drill holes without measuring and aligning correctly. I refused to give him power for his drill till he ensured alignment with a bubble level which he didn't carry. Finally my apt plumber was called and he supervised and pretty much installed it for him.

Then after powering on the water wasn't very hot. The guy was in so much of a hurry that he immediately opened up the innards of the heater and broke the temperature control knob clip. What's worse is that inside the cover there is a lot of foam for heat insulation. This absolute idiot took the foam out and threw it away in the trash. When I asked him why he said it was not needed. I told him why did they put a foam at the factory when it was not needed. He sheepishly said he will put it back. After that he realised that the first time it takes longer to heat up when he called his office.

When inspecting the installation, I noticed the water inlet pipe was a bit tilted and this would usually happen only if he did cross threading. Asked him to check and this hero made the cross threading even worse resulting in water leaking. While putting excessive force he broke the stainless steel braided pipe I had originally and had the audacity to tell me to pay for a new one since the old one was bad. This is when I lost my temper and threw him out of the house. Later on his supervisor calls me and asks me why I didn't share the "Happy" OTP post installation even though he visited and installed the geyser. The supervisor too got a dose from me after that.

I put in a replacement on Amazon and Amazon forwarded to AO Smith who sent the replacement within 2 days. This time I just asked the plumber to install it and he removed the old one kept it ready for return and then fitted the new one perfectly in 15 mins. I had to return it as the idiot AO smith technician cross threaded and damaged the threading as well as broke the temp control knob on the perfectly fine original one.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 13th August 2021 at 11:19.
Vid6639 is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 13th August 2021, 11:21   #8884
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asbshyam View Post
Looking for some advice on water pumps that can dry run and have a throughput of around 100LPM.

We've given up on RO and other Water purifiers to make our ground water potable. We've been reliant on water cans (20L) for a few years now. Since my parents are aging, I'm trying to install an indoor loft tank that can hold a month's worth of water (500L or 25 cans). This is to prevent manually swapping the full and empty water cans between a few rooms.

I'm trying to see if there are water pumps that can pump around 100 LPM and can be dry run, as the inlet may run dry when pumping from a buffer bucket/drum to which the water jars will be emptied. 100LPM or similar is quite essential so that the delivery person does not spend half his day at our house. I see diaphragm pumps on Amazon that can run dry, but those do 8-10 LPM at best. The loft tank would be less than 10ft away from the ground. I'm not looking at submersible pumps as I'm looking to co-locate the motor/pump alongside the tank.

Any advise would be appreciated! TIA!
I see a few problems in your scheme

1. Storing drinking water for one month or even 15 days will breed bacteria and the water will feel stale.

2. For capacity of 500l/month 100l/min is overkill. 10l/min (or even 2) is more than enough.

3. Long term storage of potable water needs a food grade stainless steel tank, not the common variety plastic tank. Even the piping should be food grade SS.

4. 500L is 1/2 ton weight. The loft has to be reinforced to carry the load,

5. The quality of water in 20L cans is variable. At best it can be industrial RO, but most of the time it is just filtered water. The delivery personnel may also be carrying virus.

So, on the whole the scheme has no merit unless you are storing water pumped from the ground. What I suggest is

1. Get a robust industrial grade RO unit.
2. Install two prefilters - one coarse and one fine upstream of the RO unit.
3. If you are the DIY type get an RO for which you can get all its consumable on line - Filter, RO Membrane, UV light etc.
4. If you are not the DIY type get an RO unit that has excellent service in your area. (Kent has excellent service in Delhi, though it costs around 6K - AMC+consumables)

Another though.

If you are solely dependent on ground water for all your needs, then treat it properly and you get safe drinking/bathing water for the whole household.

Full treatment - pre filter, main filter, UV and RO in series. That is what is done in most industries. If the water has a lot of suspended material a coarse filter is required at the head of the chain.

In our house hold the peak consumption in summer is around 1,500 l/day. Setting up a filter/RO plant for that capacity is as easy as ordering a package unit. Consult a few suppliers of industrial water treatment plant suppliers (for Hotels and Hospitals) and you will get an idea. The USP of this is that the whole house gets drinking water on the tap (as in good old days), and you will not be bothered with water stains on utensils or deposits in geysers.
Aroy is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th August 2021, 23:33   #8885
BHPian

I’m looking for a new fridge. I don’t have much horizontal space so a multi-door fridge is out of the equation. A simple two door with top or bottom freezer would be great. What are good options for these requirements? I don’t mind spending a bit more for better reliability. I’ve had some bad luck with appliances this year, so peace of mind would be top of the list. What’s the Toyota Innova of refrigerators?
Old 16th August 2021, 06:22   #8886
Senior - BHPian

The Innova of refrigerators is the Japanese, Panasonic. I've had these for decades. Hitachi is also good
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow View Post
I’m looking for a new fridge. I don’t have much horizontal space so a multi-door fridge is out of the equation. A simple two door with top or bottom freezer would be great. What are good options for these requirements? I don’t mind spending a bit more for better reliability. I’ve had some bad luck with appliances this year, so peace of mind would be top of the list. What’s the Toyota Innova of refrigerators?
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2021, 08:33   #8887
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The Innova of refrigerators is the Japanese, Panasonic. I've had these for decades. Hitachi is also good
I saw a siemens unit and we were blown away by the quality at least from the outside.
Old 16th August 2021, 09:55   #8888
Senior - BHPian

Has any LG washing machine owner (front load, the newer ones with the handleless door, FHT1007SNW for reference) faced an issue of the door creaking for a few seconds and being pushed out alternatingly in rhythm with the spin when the spin cycle is ramping up? It's not very noticeable but I happened to be standing by ours recently and I wasn't sure if it was normal. We got ours in February and apart from a little paint chipping and this issue it's been working like a charm. Our old IFB (rebadged Gorenje) with a proper handle never did that.
Old 16th August 2021, 10:36   #8889
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have been using AGARO cold press juicer for a few months now, don't see any issues, and comes with smoothie fitment. It's not below 10k but slightly cheaper than you quoted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
I saw a siemens unit and we were blown away by the quality at least from the outside.
SIEMENS is serviced by BOSCH but spares in the long term would be an issue. Go with Korean brands like Samsung, LG for prompter service and spares.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 16th August 2021 at 10:58. Reason: Merging back to back posts. please use edit option when replying.
dadu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2021, 14:04   #8890
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post

SO I did a lot of research and narrowed down to 2 models AO Smith and Venus 25 litre.

Thanks for this note.

I wonder which geyser I should go for if hard water is going to be an issue?
Old 21st August 2021, 14:28   #8891
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for this note.

Our regular electric shop recommended this - Ferroli. He informed me it has a glass element and would last long with hard water. At that time I hadn't heard the brand and bought 2 of them on his verbal assurance. Installation was simple - called the number and the installation person completed with no issues. The geyser hasn't been used in the last 2 years due to lockdown. So can't comment on durability.
msdivy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2021, 16:26   #8892
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for this note.

You can go for Haier geysers if you have hard water. Their service is also good. You can even look at Venus and Racold although I have heard it is not the same as before. The main thing to look for is the heating element and tank. Incoloy heating element and Enamel coated tanks are better. But nothing is guaranteed against hard water.

Some links:
https://www.haier.com/in/water-heaters/

https://www.haier.com/in/water-heate...ist_20190530.2

https://www.venushomeappliances.com/...rotection.html
CarNerd is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 12:14   #8893
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarNerd View Post
You can go for Haier geysers if you have hard water. Their service is also good.
My neighbourhood shopkeeper also recommended Haier for its quality and service. I have been using it for only six months, so too early to comment on the actual durability.
Jaguar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 13:18   #8894
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarNerd View Post
You can go for Haier geysers if you have hard water.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
My neighbourhood shopkeeper also recommended Haier for its quality and service
Seems to me that AO Smith heaters have all the best features for hard water - glass coating, etc., etc. I hope the local shopkeepers are not pushing Haier for getting rid of stock and /or higher margins, given that people are avoiding Chinese products where possible. I have no actual experience with the above brands so it is just conjecture. Any features of Haier that make them particularly better suited for use in hard water areas?
mvadg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 13:27   #8895
BHPian

Any washing machine recommendations for low water pressure? We get about 3-3-5 litres per minute from the inlet tap. I read somewhere that Bosch machines will time out if they don’t have 6-8 litres per minute.

I want a fully automatic machine. Doesn’t matter if it’s top load or front load.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks