Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2021, 10:27   #8941
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaykk View Post

I also considered lifting the overhead water tank by another 6ft by adding a metal structure. Not very keen on this since it involves re-doing a lot of plumbing.

Another option is , if you have enough space on the terrace, add another 500L capacity tank at a higher elevation. Do the plumbing such that, the pump feeds to this 500L tank. Join the lower elevation tank to the new 500L tank such that there is a 1 inch pipe coming from the top of the 500L tank to the lower elevation tank. Feed the washing machine from the 500L tank.

Once the 500L tank is full, a 1 inch outlet at the top of the tank will act as overflow outlet and fill the lower elevation tank. This will also ensure that the 500L tank is full most of the time since only once this gets filled up will the water flow into the lower elevation tank. This will solve your problem
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 09:40   #8942
BHPian

Any recos on reliable, no-nonsense cast-iron/non-stick/granite/porcelain pan/tawa/kadais? Something to buy and use for a long time, price is not a constraint. Need to be induction compatible.

Last edited by skumare : 9th September 2021 at 09:43.
skumare is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 11:03   #8943
One
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skumare View Post
Any recos on reliable, no-nonsense cast-iron/non-stick/granite/porcelain pan/tawa/kadais? Something to buy and use for a long time, price is not a constraint. Need to be induction compatible.
We have used this . There is a way to use it so that it functions properly and it is not as non-stick as regular non-stick but functions well once we know how to use it.
One is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 16:03   #8944
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by One View Post
We have used this . There is a way to use it so that it functions properly and it is not as non-stick as regular non-stick but functions well once we know how to use it.
Thanks, will look into this material. What is the suggested maintenance/usage process for tri-ply SS vessels? I guess it will not be the same as prescribed for cast-iron utensils - pat dry after wash, apply very thin layer of oil, medium heat for 2..3 minutes.
Old 9th September 2021, 19:29   #8945
One
BHPian

Quote:
apply very thin layer of oil, medium heat for 2..3 minutes.
Indeed, all of this that you mentioned to cook stuff. The only other thing we do or were asked to do is that we wash it by scrubbing with wire cleaner. The first time we used it, the pan became black and we thought it was burnt. But the Vinod guy told us to use wire and everything came off without damaging the surface. Now we clean it everytime with that, the surface is undamaged for last few years.

In terms of oil usage from least to maximum:

Brand new undamaged Non-Stick < Triply < Damaged Non-stick (coating coming off in few months time)
Old 9th September 2021, 19:42   #8946
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
no-nonsense cast-iron/non-stick/granite/porcelain pan/tawa/kadais?
Assuming you are lucky enough to still have a grandmother, I bet she's been using the same one for decades. Once "seasoned" cast-iron and steel cookware is every bit as non-stick as modern surfaces, and does not burn off or need special attention. Well, sometimes it does, but re-seasoning is not a big deal.

We have just thrown out the old, worn, teflon-coated dosa "stone" that had probably been poisoning us for quite a while and reverted to traditional steel. If my wife wants a dosa, she wants a dosa, not a complicated kitchen ritual . She has no problems at all with the traditional thing.

I don't have the knack of making dosa. But I have no problems at all with my carbon-steel frying pans for frying eggs or even making omelettes.

If one lets these things get in a mess, get dirty, get wet, get rusted, then one has some work to do. But it needn't happen.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 21:37   #8947
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I don't have the knack of making dosa. .
Once the batter is ready, making dosa's shouldnt be a problem. Perhaps one of few things that actually work by going around in circles
Old 9th September 2021, 23:15   #8948
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by One View Post
...we wash it by scrubbing with wire cleaner.
You mean the regular scoth-brite steel scrubber, right?
Old 10th September 2021, 02:53   #8949
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Once the batter is ready, making dosa's shouldnt be a problem. Perhaps one of few things that actually work by going around in circles
While I still had a home there, I took Mrs G to London, and we shopped for some Indian essentials (She was astounded in East Ham: "I can shop in Tamil here, and in Malayalam next door!"). Anyway, I had beginner's luck with dosa. Ever since, all I get is horrible sticky mess. I'll stick to eggs and omelettes.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2021, 00:50   #8950
One
BHPian

Quote:
You mean the regular scoth-brite steel scrubber, right?
Yes, that's the one. The first photo below looks like the coating is off (Coming from non-stick pans, the first time we saw this, we thought this is spoilt). Used scotch brite once and the result is next.
Attached Thumbnails
The Home Appliance thread-p_20210911_003958_1.jpg  

The Home Appliance thread-p_20210911_004152_1_1.jpg  

Old 11th September 2021, 05:17   #8951
BHPian

Quote:
... Anyway, I had beginner's luck with dosa. Ever since, all I get is horrible sticky mess. I'll stick to eggs and omelettes.
Off topic:
The trick is to add a little soaked methi (fenugreek seeds) to the rice while grinding it. I'm sure TBHPians in the "chefs" thread can give you better directions on making the perfect dosa.

Quote:
Thanks, will look into this material. What is the suggested maintenance/usage process for tri-ply SS vessels? I guess it will not be the same as prescribed for cast-iron utensils - pat dry after wash, apply very thin layer of oil, medium heat for 2..3 minutes.
Why not go with the traditional cast iron tava?

Vinod Legacy Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron...
https://www.amazon.in/dp/B08HYQ43L7

I suggest you look here for experts on this topic!
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...ter-chefs.html (Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs)

Last edited by mvadg : 11th September 2021 at 05:30.
Old 11th September 2021, 11:16   #8952
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
While I still had a home there, I took Mrs G to London, and we shopped for some Indian essentials (She was astounded in East Ham: "I can shop in Tamil here, and in Malayalam next door!"). Anyway, I had beginner's luck with dosa. Ever since, all I get is horrible sticky mess. I'll stick to eggs and omelettes.
I have had my problems with Idly dough also. I generally make the dough at home, Here are my observations.

1. Stick to normal rice. With parboiled rice I always ended up with very sticky idlis.

2. Add Methi (about 1/4 teaspoon) to 1/2 kg rice. This helps in fermentation.

3. Grind as fine as possible. When we used a normal mixer, it would never be really fine. Now with stone wet grinder, I get beautiful consistency. Long time ago, my father's colleague's wife who came from Coimbatore, gave me this tip. The finer the grind the whiter (and fluffier) the idli. With the wet grinder I get super fluffy chalk white idly every time.

4. A ratio of 1:4 is the best compromise for an idli/dosa batter. For purely idli 1:5 is better while for dosa 1:2 gives you softer dosas.
The Home Appliance thread-rsc_3027.jpg
The Home Appliance thread-rsc_3028.jpg
The Home Appliance thread-rsc_3031.jpgThe Home Appliance thread-rsc_3044.jpgThe Home Appliance thread-rsc_3056.jpg
The Home Appliance thread-rsc_3057.jpg
The Home Appliance thread-rsc_3060.jpg

Dosa will stick if the dough has not fermented sufficiently. My metric is to grind by 4 in the evening and let it ferment overnight. The dough should rise at least to twice the height.

The Home Appliance thread-qsc_9399.jpg
The Home Appliance thread-qsc_9401.jpg

Last edited by Aroy : 11th September 2021 at 11:39.
Aroy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th September 2021, 16:28   #8953
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
I have had my problems with Idly dough ...
Wow, all that is impressive! I don't need to consult the internet on the cooking, as wife is handy --- but she does not make her own mix, as it is easily available very close to our house. It is absolutely not worth making our own considering the small quantities we'd consume. On this basis, she also refuses to give houseroom to a wet grinder. She is right: far too much of our small house room is already cluttered up with unused gadgets.

About the towa. We had a non-stick one because it came free with a pressure cooker. The teflon wore/burnt off long ago, probably poisoning us as it did. As I said before: just stick with the choice of parents and grandparents: steel or cast iron. We are back to steel now, and are very happy with it.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2021, 09:54   #8954
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

About the towa. We had a non-stick one because it came free with a pressure cooker. The teflon wore/burnt off long ago, probably poisoning us as it did. As I said before: just stick with the choice of parents and grandparents: steel or cast iron. We are back to steel now, and are very happy with it.
I agree. Steel is the way to go. Most users do not realise that the street vendors and dosa joints use mild steel "Tawa". Once greased properly the steel cooking surface has a lot of advantages over the non-stick one, especially for Indian style cooking.

. Steel cooking surface is not super slippery, so while making Dosa, the dough adheres to the surface just enough to ease spreading, and once done it comes off easily.

. Steel plates used by commercial cooking is very rugged and does not mind constant changes in temperatures. Just observe the Dosa frying process - High heat for starting, low heat for cooking and then after it is done water to cool the surface so that the fresh dough does not burn.

. Similarly for potato "Tikki", the surface retains heat and the Tikki cooks at a uniform heat.

. Lastly let us not forget the Steel Tawa that we use for Roti's and Paratha. Nonstick pans just burn and deteriorate under these conditions.
Aroy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2021, 09:59   #8955
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Just observe the Dosa frying process - High heat for starting, low heat for cooking and then after it is done water to cool the surface so that the fresh dough does not burn.
Is that black 1" thick wide platform that we see in hotels etc a steel one ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks