Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2021, 14:25   #8971
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Is that black 1" thick wide platform that we see in hotels etc a steel one ?
That's a cast iron tawa. Usually 15mm thick. It looks 1 inch thick in some hotels because the borders are thick
Old 22nd September 2021, 14:35   #8972
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL01toKA03 View Post
Has anyone used an electric multipot in India? Does it save time, and which brand is the best when it comes to availability of spares and service?
My wife swears by one sold by OPOS. She's been using it for 2 years or more now, and is quite happy with. If you want to ask something specific, let me know, I'll respond in PM.
mayankk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2021, 16:11   #8973
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subraiyr View Post
I would beg to differ here. Not to boast, but the idlis that come out of the batter i make is absolutely soft and does manage to melt in your mouth. Here is what I do

7. For winters, I grind the urad dal with hot water and then place the batter in water bath for it to rise
8. Day 1 to 3 - You can make idlis even after keeping the batter in the refrigerator and it will just be as soft
9. Day 2 to end of batter - you can make Dosa

I guess this should go into the recipe section, but couldn't resist posting here
Ambient temperature and the strain of yeast that ferments the batter would make a huge difference, I'd imagine. The particular variety of rice and urad dal you use would be another variable. I'm sure once we get into gourmet idlis, someone will market the best starters for idli batter (and for dosa batter). Somehow, I don't like idlis and always stick to dosas, made with the same batter. I'm going to give your formula a try and if it works for me, I can eat idlis with the rest of my family.
mvadg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2021, 16:19   #8974
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
If you want to ask something specific, let me know
Yes. How does the food taste especially North Indian food?
Old 22nd September 2021, 17:06   #8975
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Yes. How does the food taste especially North Indian food?
That one I can answer. I've not noticed any difference in how it was before to what it is now. She does says it's easier to use, but that's the only Electronic thing in my house that I've not learned how to use. It reminds me of how we used to program VCRs. When I cook, I stick to my grills and gas chulha
mayankk is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2021, 18:21   #8976
BHPian

Quote:
My wife swears by one sold by OPOS. She's been using it for 2 years or more now, and is quite happy with. If you want to ask something specific, let me know, I'll respond in PM.
How is the availability of spares like gaskets? Also, is there anything that your wife doesn't like about it?

Also, I see many different brands with SS inner cooking pots and non-stick inner cooking pots. Does food stick on to the steel pots and make cleaning difficult?

Last edited by KL01toKA03 : 22nd September 2021 at 18:23.
Old 22nd September 2021, 18:30   #8977
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
How is the availability of spares like gaskets? Also, is there anything that your wife doesn't like about it?

Also, I see many different brands with SS inner cooking pots and non-stick inner cooking pots. Does food stick on to the steel pots and make cleaning difficult?
Nothing that I've heard so far. Spares are available here:
https://buy.oposkit.com/in

One time it went bad, we sent the unit to the seller, and they fixed and sent it back. Only TO shipping was borne by me. No charges for repairs or return shipping.
Old 22nd September 2021, 20:34   #8978
BHPian

Quote:
Nothing that I've heard so far. Spares are available here:
https://buy.oposkit.com/in

One time it went bad, we sent the unit to the seller, and they fixed and sent it back. Only TO shipping was borne by me. No charges for repairs or return shipping.
Looks like the OPOS Cookbot is out of stock. Looks like the inner pot is stainless steel. Can you check with your wife and confirm if she had to buy a new unit, would she prefer steel or non stick. Thank you
Old 22nd September 2021, 21:18   #8979
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Looks like the OPOS Cookbot is out of stock. Looks like the inner pot is stainless steel. Can you check with your wife and confirm if she had to buy a new unit, would she prefer steel or non stick. Thank you
She says she would have gone for regular steel pan even if the price was the same. Her logic is no matter how much you try to save non sticks from the maid, one day she will get her hands on it and scrub the Teflon crap out of it. The OPOS kit, if used properly as per instructions, doesn't burn food. However, that is a very confusing cooking philosophy for me. So you may decide by yourself, if you're not using opos(one pot one shot) coming. And if you can save the pot from the maid.
mayankk is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2021, 17:09   #8980
Senior - BHPian

I am looking for a Bamboo Mat for the floor. Something like this: Link

This link says the product would be imported from USA. Are there any similar local options available? The one listed on Amazon is too small (Link). Need something that is 6ft x 4ft or 5ft x 4ft minimum for the area I have in mind.
Old 23rd September 2021, 17:48   #8981
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
I am looking for a Bamboo Mat for the floor. Something like this: Link

This link says the product would be imported from USA. Are there any similar local options available? The one listed on Amazon is too small (Link). Need something that is 6ft x 4ft or 5ft x 4ft minimum for the area I have in mind.
I see your location as Bangalore. There are people making bamboo articles at Chamarajapet (Makkala Koota circle). If possible you can visit there and they should be able to do a customised mat as you want.

KK
KK_HakunaMatata is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2021, 09:38   #8982
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata View Post
I see your location as Bangalore. There are people making bamboo articles at Chamarajapet (Makkala Koota circle). If possible you can visit there and they should be able to do a customised mat as you want.

KK
Here in Delhi there are many vendors who make customised mats using various materials. You will find similar vendors in most major metros.

Show them the images of the mat so that they get an idea of what you want - size, layout & width of the bamboo strips and the thickness. One thing that I have experienced is that the edge fabric frays with time and has to be replaced every five years or so. There fore select a fabric that is durable and does not bleed colour.

Most of these vendors use raw bamboo, so the strips will be curved. Ask them to flatten the strips (normally steam or hot water does the trick). It would be prudent to ckeck the strips before they make the mat.
Old 24th September 2021, 17:07   #8983
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skumare View Post
Any recos on reliable, no-nonsense cast-iron/non-stick/granite/porcelain pan/tawa/kadais?
May be I am late to party, we are using Cast iron tawa/skillet from past two years.

For Dosa we have this one from Rock Tawa. This is very good for Dosa.

For Frying we have skillet from Healthy Choice. Very good for frying.

Recently (~4 months) we got non-stick from Bergner . Quality wise this is best what we have used in past 6 years (Most brands with all sort of coating). Overall lifetime-durability still need to be ascertained.

Quote:
Has anyone used an electric multi-pot in India? Does it save time, and which brand is the best when it comes to availability of spares and service?
We have Mealthy multi pot from last two years. Most of our cooking happens on it. We are Vegetarians, my wife can cook any North/South Indian dishes. And most come out Superb. Spares are available directly from their site. We didn't face any issue so far. We have 3 ltr in MIL house from same period, this is also good. The prices are doubled in two year! We got it 7K.

My wife would have preferred Instant Pot (as her sister uses it in US), but Mealthy came to market first.
Old 24th September 2021, 17:39   #8984
BHPian

Folks, I have a query regarding gas leakage detector.

I just got a new apartment for my parents and the gas pipe is enclosed in the wall behind the tiles with one outlet in the utility which is decently ventilated and the other outlet inside the cupboard.

It suddenly occurred to me that in case of a gas leak anywhere along the pipe, how can it be detected?

Where is the detector usually installed and will it detect a leakage anywhere in the pipeline?

The only "branded" one I could find is Qubo (Hero owned).
Avinash_R is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th September 2021, 20:37   #8985
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by One View Post
We have used this . There is a way to use it so that it functions properly and it is not as non-stick as regular non-stick but functions well once we know how to use it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post
Recently (~4 months) we got non-stick from Bergner . Quality wise this is best what we have used in past 6 years (Most brands with all sort of coating). Overall lifetime-durability still need to be ascertained.
Thanks for all the suggestions.

Any thoughts on hard anodized versus triply-steel/cast-iron utensils? Any brands considered better on the anodizing tech part? I can see embassy, vinod, amazon's solimo etc and the usual prestige and hawkins in Amazon.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks