Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2021, 11:51   #8986
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

For Dosa I use an enameled 8" frying pan. That is good enough. Though a mild steel plate (similar thickness as Roti tawa) is a better solution as it can heat up and cool very fast. You start with a medium hot surface and then high heat for crisping the dosa (that is what commercial shops do - they heat up the plate, then at the end cool it down with water for the next lot).

Enameled cast iron is easier to maintain, but it cannot withstand very high temperatures of coal or wood fire. Luckily, you will never encounter these temperatures in domestic gas or electric ovens.

Plain cast iron is much cheaper - 1K to 2K for a frying pan as compared to 8K to 10K for Lecruese pan.
Old 26th September 2021, 13:06   #8987
BHPian

I can see that the designer options in fans with metallic finish and wood finish weigh somewhere between 6-8 kgs. I am looking at Havells Yorker, Orion and Stealthwood as options for a 10 year old apartment. The fans currently in the apartment should weigh between 4-5 kgs. Will the existing fan holders or hooks be able to hold the additional weight sturdy? I have this doubt because they should now give away because of additional weight. Anyone who has faced this or done similar stuff or anyone with experience could please help me with this doubt?
Old 27th September 2021, 01:31   #8988
One
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whencut86 View Post
The fans currently in the apartment should weigh between 4-5 kgs. Will the existing fan holders or hooks be able to hold the additional weight sturdy? I have this doubt because they should now give away because of additional weight. Anyone who has faced this or done similar stuff or anyone with experience could please help me with this doubt?
Typically these hooks are embedded in RCC and they can take an entire adult's body weight. Have hung pretty heavy stuff from these hooks and they have held fine. The one thing which could fall is , if the ceiling is old, the plaster on it becomes loose and motion on the hook can cause vibrations leading to loose plaster falling.
One is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2021, 08:10   #8989
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whencut86 View Post
Will the existing fan holders or hooks be able to hold the additional weight sturdy? I have this doubt because they should now give away because of additional weight. Anyone who has faced this or done similar stuff or anyone with experience could please help me with this doubt?
The existing hooks should be able to easily take the load ! As mentioned, they are casted into place while roof is being constructed.
nirmaljusdoit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2021, 08:32   #8990
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skumare View Post
Any thoughts on hard anodized versus triply-steel/cast-iron utensils? Any brands considered better on the anodizing tech part? I can see embassy, vinod, amazon's solimo etc and the usual prestige and hawkins in Amazon.
In past we have used hard anodized vessels/Kadai. In 2019 we bought few Kadai in triply. Its easier to clean looks good so far. Making gravy items sticks less compared to hard anodized. We have Kdai from Bergner and Stahl. Due to covid, we now do weekend meal prep for whole week, this mean reheating of dishes. With anodized we see dishes (in particular gravy items), becoming sticky and getting burned, however this is not the case with triply, thus easier to maintain.

My personal experience is most Solimo items are extremely cheap copies of good items (looks like factory seconds of good brand). Before buying Bergner non-stick pan, we ordered Solimo pan. We had to return twice and get money back as both items had crack in pan! Experience is same with most of Solimo other items also.

Vinod is reputed brand and their products are good. In fact their triply is similar in quality that of Bergner or Stahl. We went with other brands as they had deep discounts during previous festive seasons(in brick and mortar store).
RaguHolla is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th September 2021, 12:35   #8991
BHPian

Triply SS vs. Hard-anodized -- My experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by skumare View Post
Any thoughts on hard anodized versus triply-steel/cast-iron utensils? Any brands considered better on the anodizing tech part? I can see embassy, vinod, amazon's solimo etc and the usual prestige and hawkins in Amazon.

I've recently purchased both a Triply SS kadai (4L) and a Hard-Anodized bowl (3L) (both Hawkins) for exclusive use on my Philips Induction cooktop (I don't have an LPG connection at my current (temporary) location). Here are my impressions of each kind based on admittedly limited usage (less than half-a-dozen times of each, although I do also have a Hawkins HA pressure cooker for years that is not Induction compatible):

* I'm decidedly underwhelmed by the Triply kadai (although it looks nice, and is well-made)!

It is apparently less energy-efficient compared to the HA bowl! Hawkins instructions call for usage limited to low-to-medium heat settings only. So cooking takes a long time. At the same heat settings, the HA bowl cooks faster (of course, part of it may have to do with the larger bulk of the kadai).

Cooking dry dishes is not recommended. For example, it is not fit for the purpose of frying peanuts coated with a little bit of oil ! About 250g of peanuts remained half-done even after 15 minutes of medium-heat frying in the triply kadai. The HA bowl took about 10 minutes to do it well enough at the same heat setting.

For reference, the same job takes only about 5-6 minutes to be done perfectly in an aluminium kadai on medium gas flame (on the smaller burner of a two-burner LPG stove!

* The Hard-Anodized bowl is easier to live with in terms of cooking performance (although the shape of the kadai is better suited to Indian cooking). But it is not as well-made as the kadai, although the cooking bowl itself is! The plastic handles are flimsy, and are fixed by rivets that don't sit flush on the wall, -- the gaps catch food as well as fibres of a scrubber! Maddening, and is very surprising, coming from Hawkins, -- we have always happily used well-made Hawkins pressure cookers for years! To add insult to injury, the bowl is highly overpriced for what it is (similar price point to the much better made triply kadai)!

* Neither of the pots are dishwasher friendly, and are a pain to clean manually! Don't get me wrong, -- the surfaces are easy enough to clean superficially, but oil stains do remain on the rough-ish surfaces which must always be cleaned in hot water which releases the embedded stains, -- cold water just doesn't work! And Hawkins warn about permanent baked-in stains if they are not cleaned well after each use!

I am surprised to read in this thread about a Vinod representative's recommendation to use steel scrubbers to clean their triply pots! Hawkins even discourage use of metal spatulas and spoons!

To summarise, I don't know if the pots would behave better on a gas stove. I'm not keen to find out, since I already have a large collection of much better pots and pans for the purpose. What I'm sure of, is there is no more triply utensils in my future, -- I'll learn to live with this one I'm stuck with.
meerkat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th September 2021, 18:42   #8992
Distinguished - BHPian

I had recently posted about the IFB service person offering extended warranty on the motor of our IFB front loader.

A person from IFB customer care had called last week, and I had the offer confirmed with her. Today I received a SMS for the coverage, with start and end dates.

So all good. Guess Rs 1000 was not an incorrect spend, though I hope I dont have to use it
Old 2nd October 2021, 23:51   #8993
BHPian

Made an impulse buy of a Samsung washing machine on Flipkart to replace my 16 year old LG. I had not been researching on WMs lately and I don't know what features or factors to look out for. This seemed like a good deal and got a good discount - the regular price of ~22k reduced to 15k after supercoins, card discounts and exchange.

SAMSUNG ww60r20glma 6kg inverter. This is the flipkart link:
https://dl.flipkart.com/s/TLhiJduuuN

If anybody has any experience with this model (postive or negative) please let me know. I have a couple of days to cancel the order.

Thanks.
Old 4th October 2021, 01:12   #8994
BHPian

Hi Guys,

My Faber Kitchen Chimney which is supposed to be stainless steel has rusted quite badly. Please see pic attached. As it is an older model, spares for this baffle filter are not easily available. Can anyone suggest a method of getting rid of the rust as it is looking ugly and is visible.

I was thinking of "Rust Convertor" but if it is just going to turn the rust black, I don't see any advantage.

I don't think painting it will help as it is directly exposed to heat from the cooking range below.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks & Regards,
SS
Attached Thumbnails
The Home Appliance thread-faber-kitchen-chimney-filter-cover.jpg  

Old 4th October 2021, 02:27   #8995
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
Hi Guys,

My Faber Kitchen Chimney which is supposed to be stainless steel has rusted quite badly. Please see pic attached. As it is an older model, spares for this baffle filter are not easily available. Can anyone suggest a method of getting rid of the rust as it is looking ugly and is visible.

I was thinking of "Rust Convertor" but if it is just going to turn the rust black, I don't see any advantage.

I don't think painting it will help as it is directly exposed to heat from the cooking range below.

Thanks & Regards,
SS
Try rubbing it with vinegar and crumpled aluminium foil. It should make a significant difference
Mortis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2021, 04:29   #8996
Distinguished - BHPian

Remove it. Use as fine a grit emery as will do the job and finish with finer grits. You should get back to clean metal as before. Finish it with appropriate grit to match existing surface. How much time you put into that depends on how visible the rusted part is.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2021, 06:21   #8997
BHPian

Most of the Chimney manufacturers use parts made by others. So is the case with Filters. You can check with other makes Filters and if they fit, or even fit with minor modification, replace. One good thing is - that if this is the condition of Baffle Filters and your Chimney is working, you own a good product.
Amrik Singh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2021, 10:06   #8998
BHPian

Quote:
My Faber Kitchen Chimney which is supposed to be stainless steel has rusted quite badly.
A Simple magnet would tell you if its really SS. Even among SS, there are various grades, SS304 is not exactly rust free. Starting from SS316 you have rust free SS. My guess is that its chrome plated steel.

Anyways, as its pointed out, just use emery and rub off the rust and prepare the surface with primer before painting. Any colour other than black would do. Since black does not tell you how much dirt you have accumulated.
srini1785 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2021, 10:29   #8999
Senior - BHPian

Took a Video Demo of the Dyson Cordless Vacuum Cleaner recently and also got an in-hand feel of the product at my relative's place.
  • The features etc. seem good but the Product is not light enough for longer duration usage.
  • Also felt the need to press the ON switch continuously to run it seemed like a bad design in my view. Would have preferred a mechanism to switch it on and leave the switch.

Still undecided on whether to go for it or not. Given that they are giving a Free Floor Dock etc. on the top end, will possibly just go for the top end if I decide for it. Also its currently out of stock.

In the meantime wanted to check feedback from the others here if the Premium is worth it or should we look at other cordless options which seem to be priced significantly lower (Like Kent, Eureka Forbes Drift etc.)
Old 4th October 2021, 10:31   #9000
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Thanks & Regards,
SS
Ar you sure it is rust and not caked oil?

As suggested check the material with a magnet.

In any case just scrape the stains, initially with vinegar, if not successful with abrasive washing powder (most of the cheap ones are abrasive), if every thing fails, use fine grit wet sand paper used by denters.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks