Old 27th October 2021, 13:22   #9091
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Pretty sure that would last a while
It's comfortingly expensive! Perhaps a bit too expensive

Noted that there are different colours.

Thanks guys, yes I'm aware of the Teynampet concentration of lighting shops: we spent some time there when we moved into this house. Parking would be a problem, but, when that is the case, I just take auto.

Whether they are ultimately made-in-China or not, I do find the Philips branding comforting, and will further explore the range. I do like going out shopping, but might well just get lazy and go with one of those for now.

BTW... the mixxy we bought is available for a bit less money on Amazon --- but I got to visit a shop I've been meaning to look around for a decade, we are able to look and touch the options, and I enjoyed the outing.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2021, 00:48   #9092
BHPian

Gas Stoves:

Looking for an all Stainless Steel construction 3 burners (Brass Burners) Gas Stove. Read a couple of posts on this thread but could not zero down on one definitive model. Request members to pitch in. Mandatory requirements:

1. NO Glass Top
2. 3 Burners (Not looking for 4 burners)
3. Brass Burners (Unless there are some new age titanium burners that are indestructible)
4. Position of Gas inlet - On the Sides (Preferably should give option on all three sides)
5. Auto Ignition - Not required.
Old 28th October 2021, 07:48   #9093
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamer012 View Post
Looking for an all Stainless Steel construction 3 burners (Brass Burners) Gas Stove. Read a couple of posts on this thread but could not zero down on one definitive model. Request members to pitch in. Mandatory requirements:

1. NO Glass Top
3. Brass Burners (Unless there are some new age titanium burners that are indestructible)
4. Position of Gas inlet - On the Sides (Preferably should give option on all three sides)
Very very sensible & fantastic requirements you have. Except for #4, you've plethora of choices; personally my choices will be to select one from Prestige, Vidiem or Butterfly for what they deliver as advertised & less complaints from the products.

Vidiem Viva & Vidiem Sleek has a single side inlet, 3 sides I really doubt if any gas stove has.
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2021, 09:14   #9094
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Brass Burners (Unless there are some new age titanium burners that are indestructible)
For domestic cooking, the type of burner should not really matter. When we were looking for a stove, the sales guy mentioned that this more of marketing than anything else. Also, these "brass" burners end up getting blackened so quickly, that it does get difficult to keep them looking like brass.

3 inlets - can be very difficult to find. Two is more like it.

But agree on the non-glass-top.
Old 28th October 2021, 10:21   #9095
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
For domestic cooking, the type of burner should not really matter
No sir, it matters; the alternative is iron that corrodes, which causes rust, which is extremely difficult to remove through the years, if not immediate. The only benefit I see is low cost.

Brass on the other hand, like the sales guy exactly said, gets blackened, but the dust can be easily expelled with a little jiggle, they don't stick to the metal like iron. Also time taken to heat the brass is considerably less than iron, this means, brass burners are efficient as well.
Old 28th October 2021, 11:03   #9096
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
No sir, it matters; the alternative is iron that corrodes, which causes rust, which is extremely difficult to remove through the years, if not immediate. The only benefit I see is low cost..
Our previous faber did not have brass burners. It worked for 15 years till other parts started to fail. (knobs mainly). Our new Faber with this "brass" burner is less than 3. We see the problems with this burner too regularly
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2021, 11:45   #9097
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No sir, it matters; the alternative is iron that corrodes, which causes rust, which is extremely difficult to remove through the years, if not immediate. The only benefit I see is low cost.

Brass on the other hand, like the sales guy exactly said, gets blackened, but the dust can be easily expelled with a little jiggle, they don't stick to the metal like iron. Also time taken to heat the brass is considerably less than iron, this means, brass burners are efficient as well.
I also want to buy a 3 burner stove, with pretty much the same criteria that "roamer012" has listed above.

So, a few more questions on that:

1. Is stainless steel as burner material also not preferable?
2. Most stoves that I've seen online have gas inlets on the right side only. Is that the norm these days? I would prefer one on the left.
3. How reliable and robust are Sunflame and Elica stoves (if you know)?

Thanks in advance!
Old 28th October 2021, 12:18   #9098
BHPian

Quote:
Vidiem Viva & Vidiem Sleek has a single side inlet, 3 sides I really doubt if any gas stove has.
Had located one such perfect model, somehow lost it due to my tom foolery of over-research.

Quote:
For domestic cooking, the type of burner should not really matter. When we were looking for a stove, the sales guy mentioned that this more of marketing than anything else. Also, these "brass" burners end up getting blackened so quickly, that it does get difficult to keep them looking like brass.

3 inlets - can be very difficult to find. Two is more like it.
I guess expansion and contraction of the burner might be a reason for choice of Brass burners over other materials, however i may be wrong. Blackening is anon issue for me.

Quote:
No sir, it matters; the alternative is iron that corrodes, which causes rust
Sir, alternative is aluminum / aluminum based alloys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
2. Most stoves that I've seen online have gas inlets on the right side only. Is that the norm these days? I would prefer one on the left.
Haven't seen any stove with SS burners yet.
If there is gas inlet in one side, there will be a plug on other side and the same can be modified to free up space on either side.

My issue is with the stoves having single outlet on the rear side.

Grateful if any specific tried and tested models can be pointed out, shall be exploring the Vidiem brand since it was the only brand on amazon giving some amount of choice but didn't know any background of this brand so was wary of it.
roamer012 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2021, 12:56   #9099
BHPian

Coming to burners, are ceramic burners more efficient? Couldn't find any good comparisons between regular and ceramic burners.
Old 28th October 2021, 14:12   #9100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Our previous faber...We see the problems with this burner too regularly
I'll give you super plenty examples; BPL washing machine from 1998, Whirlpool in 2006, they all worked like charm for 8+ years, not a single repair. Whirlpool in 2014 blew in <5 years!! Why? Polluted water, poor winding & many more factors. Gas burners...how do we even know the purity level of LPG these days? So IMHO, what worked fine 10 years ago, need not (mostly will not) work the same in forthcoming years. We only have to write a disclaimer like MF - past performance is not a guarantee of future results

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
3. How reliable and robust are Sunflame and Elica stoves (if you know)?
1. No idea boss
2. There should be one,
3. Our old gas stove was Sunflame & reached hall of fame!! Not sure how good they're now a days; Elica, I assume to be good. I usually prefer Butterfly or Prestige because their service is good, atleast in Chennai. These days I rely only on servicing not much on the product as such; because every product will have a downtime some day or other, it's the minimized downtime that matters in the ownership

Quote:
Sir, alternative is aluminum / aluminum based alloys
AL gas stoves are cheapest, but they also give up sooner than brass; sooner is not anyway 3-4 years, but comparatively lesser life than brass

Quote:
didn't know any background of this brand so was wary of it.
It's quite a reputed brand boss; just check for the service center in your locality, nearer the better; even if they don't turn up after a day, you can take the gas stove to them next day if they're located close.
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2021, 17:57   #9101
Distinguished - BHPian

I don't think material is going to affect the efficiency of a burner. It mixes gas and air, which escapes through holes where it burns. That flame is happening in the air. It probably only matters that the burner doesn't melt .
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2021, 09:50   #9102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I don't think material is going to affect the efficiency of a burner. It mixes gas and air, which escapes through holes where it burns. That flame is happening in the air. It probably only matters that the burner doesn't melt .
https://www.applianceeducator.com/bl...vsbrassburners

It is all about longevity. Wonder what role does the heat retention of a burner play in cooking?
roamer012 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2021, 10:16   #9103
BANNED

Quote:
Gas Stoves:

1. NO Glass Top

I bought a Sunblaze Stove model Sleek - no glass top, 3 burners, brass, inlet can be chosen on one of 2 sides & with piezoelectric auto-ignition. One of the autoignitions stopped working within a month & customer service was prompt in replacing the autoignition part. The stove is 3 years old now - no issues whatsoever.

If you are going for auto-ignition, make sure it's piezoelectric autoignition. That's lasts long.
carboy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2021, 12:38   #9104
Senior - BHPian

Came across an interesting article on gas burners

https://www.appliancesconnection.com...uminum-burners

We have been using gas stoves since around 1964 when domestic gas was first introduced by then Burmah Shell (now Bharat gas). The original stove had a cast iron frame and brass burner. It was going strong (with a bit of TLC every year), till my wife threw it out for a gas cooking range (early 80's). That too had a brass burner. After that we had a BPL cooking range with brass burners and now a KAFF cooking range with aluminum burners. All stoves gave sterling service for decade or so and we changed them just to upgrade to a newer product. Otherwise each one could last for 30+ years.

My experience is that over the years the burners have become more and more efficient (cylinder lasts longer). Regarding design we had two types

. Open burner where the flame was at the top and the jet at the bottom. This design concentrated the flame in a small circle and ideal for small vessels. Just that liquid spill would choke the jet which had to be cleaned regularly.

. Closed top burner where there is a cap on top, flame from sides and jet on one side. This design spreads the flame a lot more and additionally spills (who does not have them) do not foul the jet so the burner needs less cleaning.

If the body does not deteriorate (rust chips etc), these gas stoves can last indefinitely, as all parts are easily available (though you may have to search for the source). So my suggestion is to look for a robust design with a sturdy body.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2021, 16:20   #9105
Distinguished - BHPian

I don't see a lot of sense in these articles. How is the melting point of a metal connected to its tendency to warp or deform? Comparison of coefficient of expansion would be more useful, not melting point. And even then, if that is built into the design/engineering it should not be a problem.

Quote:
Wonder what role does the heat retention of a burner play in cooking?
I think none. The pot is not in contact with the burner, and heat comes from the flame. The tiny amount radiated by by materials of the stove must be insignificant. The less hot it gets and the faster it cools, the safer.

Last edited by vb-saan : 29th October 2021 at 18:52. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Thank you

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks