Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2021, 17:52   #9151
BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
... There is a shop near here that has a winding machine...
Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post

A friend of mine who works in the electrical field said that this is usually a scam & the equipment required for rewinding is not available with most local repair shops & they do so manual stuff to get it working just enough.
I think the small scale manufacturers use less automation and more labor intensive processes. This also means quality is variable. The larger manufacturers use highly automated methods with consistent quality.

This is probably why the local repair /rewinding shop may not be able to repair your motor to "like new". It would depend a lot on the person repairing the motor.

Some youtube videos on bldc motor manufacturing.

mvadg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th November 2021, 10:39   #9152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Is this true? If yes, then what is the way to get the rewinding done right?
When you rewind, there are some things that needs to be taken care.

1. No of turns of wire
2. Gauge thickness of wire.

While S.No 1 has a direct impact on the speed, So No 2 has an impact on the life. Most rewinders cut corners on S.No 2. Rewinding costs around 400.0 and a new fan is itself around 1800.0 so ceiling fans are more or less use and throw devices.

Rewinding pumps and motors make more economical sense.
srini1785 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2021, 13:22   #9153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire View Post
What are the drawbacks of having a bottom freezer? Have shortlisted a Samsung 580L refrigerator to replace an aging (electricity guzzling) refrigerator, but it has a bottom freezer. Don't want to get the traditional side-by-side because we don't want to waste about half the space on a freezer. We store a lot of fish and meat and deli, yet reserving one full side for it seems to be overkill.

This is the model in question: https://www.flipkart.com/samsung-580...m7119d81e6ee66
Flipkart delivered this today morning and is awaiting installation. The delivery guys said it may take two days, but I don't think I can wait that long since they took away the old one in exchange.

Is "installation" from the brand really required for something that is kind of "plug and play"? Am tempted to just plug the cord and see how it goes. Or is it safer to wait a couple of days, which could potentially indemnify me from any trouble if the refrigerator fails to work?
Old 25th November 2021, 13:56   #9154
BHPian

Quote:
...Is "installation" from the brand really required for something that is kind of "plug and play"? Or is it safer to wait a couple of days, which could potentially indemnify me from any trouble if the refrigerator fails to work?
If the delivery personnel has unpacked and placed the unit in the intended location and there are no physical damage or breakages, then you can go ahead and turn it on.

Things to do before turning on:
  1. Remove all tapes and plastic coverings.
  2. Level the unit (refer to the manual).
  3. Switch off the demo mode (refer to the manual).

Things to do after turning on:
  1. Fill water in the ice tray (you should discard the first two batches of ice).
  2. Set the temperature to the maximum available for both the fridge and the freezer.
  3. Wait for 12 hours before using the unit.

If your unit is working well, then register for the warranty on the site, else call customer care.

The installation personnel will take a long time to turn up to do the above steps, take a picture of your invoice and the label inside the fridge, may try to sell you some accessories (at inflated prices), and ask you to register the warranty on the site.
UPS_Guru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2021, 17:56   #9155
BHPian

Quote:
Is "installation" from the brand really required for something that is kind of "plug and play"? Am tempted to just plug the cord and see how it goes. Or is it safer to wait a couple of days, which could potentially indemnify me from any trouble if the refrigerator fails to work?
Better wait for the "installation" - will save you hassle in case there is an issue.Else, get an acknowledgement from the customer support that self "installation" does not invalidate the replacement guarantee.
whitewing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2021, 18:14   #9156
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Always wait for the official guy from the manufacturer to come and unpack and install the product. As easy / common sense as the setup might be, don't do it yourself:

1) Products could be dead / damaged on arrival: our dishwasher had a malfunctioning hinge, refrigerator had a scratch on the front and so on. When the official guy has done the unpacking, you're completely covered vs. having to prove it was so on arrival and not done by you.

2) A lot of products have packaging / nuts / tools to keep things in place during transport (esp. in the case of washing machine to keep the drum in place). You may not know all of them and things could go terribly wrong.
libranof1987 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th November 2021, 19:00   #9157
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Is "installation" from the brand really required for something that is kind of "plug and play"?
For refrigerators, one can just place the unit at it's intended location, leave it alone for about 12 hours. And then switch it on. This is a plug and play appliance. The only reason for the "cooling" period is the refrigerant gas to settle down - after the tilting etc during unpacking. I may not have mentioned the duration correctly, but you get the idea.

As long as there is no damage to the outer carton, you should be fine. You can also call the company customer care number and confirm - if you want to be safe.

We purchased our fridge last year, and this is what we had done.

However, for all other appliances we got - we did not touch the packaging. Let the installation guy un-seal and install it. Including the TV.

Last edited by condor : 25th November 2021 at 19:21.
condor is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 25th November 2021, 21:56   #9158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Always wait for the official guy from the manufacturer to come and unpack and install the product.
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewing View Post
Better wait for the "installation" - will save you hassle in case there is an issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UPS_Guru View Post
If the delivery personnel has unpacked and placed the unit in the intended location and there are no physical damage or breakages, then you can go ahead and turn it on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
For refrigerators, one can just place the unit at it's intended location, leave it alone for about 12 hours. And then switch it on.
I am going to err on the side of caution and wait for a day. Or two. Wife has cooked all the meat and fish we had in the freezer and we may only have to throw away some deli meat. Fruits and vegetables should be able to survive a day in the open.

A service request has already been made to Samsung, and if I go by the previous experience - when I bought a Samsung washing machine last month, the person should come tomorrow.

Thanks for all teh suggestions.
Old 26th November 2021, 11:49   #9159
Senior - BHPian

The major reason to wait for official installation is to safeguard against any damage/defect in the refrigerator. Otherwise a refrigerator is a simple plug and play device.

Just inspect the piece and take detailed photographs as you unpack it. There will always be an "Installation" leaflet attached. As others have said if you can wait fine, else; unless specifically advised not to install; unpack and start the refrigerator. We have been doing it for more than 45 years now.
Aroy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2021, 18:23   #9160
BHPian

Need to purchase two geysers for my house. Looking at storage geysers and see options for 15L and 25L ones. Are 15L ones good enough for normal family usage or do we need 25L ones for daily usage?

Also I could see from previous posts in this thread that the old Racold brand does not live up to its name quality wise and some posts about avoiding AO Smith and Hindware and sticking to Indian brands. From Indian brands the options are Venus, V-Guard, Bajaj, Crompton. Havells has some as well but I guess they may not be manufactured here though. There is also a Panasonic option in Amazon but reviews say it is a re-branded version of Anchor post merger. Any suggestions on which one should I go for?
Old 30th November 2021, 19:22   #9161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whencut86 View Post
Need to purchase two geysers for my house. Looking at storage geysers and see options for 15L and 25L ones. Are 15L ones good enough for normal family usage or do we need 25L ones for daily usage?
The word "normal" is a very subjective question boss; explaining in our biking language, having more than 1 motorcycle in garage is normal for people like us, but for a few they say we're infected with MBD (Multiple Bike Disorder)

We've got 3 X 15 liters for a small family; is it sufficient? Yes & No.
Yes - When the thermostat is at Max & all of us use warm water for shower
No - When we use the most possible hot water that body can take even for a single member

So in a nutshell, keep the thermostat ON until everyone finish showering, even 10 liters will be sufficient.

We've been fan of Venus for many years, to precise from 1998. Our bathroom is seeing 3rd Venus since then. The 1998 lasted until 2013 or so, then we bought instant one which lasted barely 4 years; from then no more instant water heater & switched to Venus Lava again. The other bathroom has Racold for last 2 years now. AO smith is serving since 2018, nothing to complaint.

The Home Appliance thread-5c84251f6a354dbaa0d5215a2f1101c5.jpg

The Home Appliance thread-b0a7221f0b354789a23f25b0441c1747.jpg
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2021, 19:46   #9162
BHPian

Quote:
I am going to err on the side of caution and wait for a day...

A service request has already been made to Samsung, and if I go by the previous experience - when I bought a Samsung washing machine last month, the person should come tomorrow.
An update. The refrigerator was installed the next day. When I saw that the service request was not assigned to anybody until noon the next day, I called up the person who had come to install the washing machine hoping that I can get the phone no of the service center. To my surprise, he offered to come over an install. I was a bit skeptical whether it was going to be an off-the-book one, but by evening the request got assigned to the same guy and he was here in 15 mins. We were so happy we tipped him generously. There was nothing much to install, except peeling of the stickers and aligning the legs/doors.

The refrigerator is working nice and we are slowly restocking the meats and fishes. And, the daily overall power consumption have gone down by about a unit.

The Home Appliance thread-sam1.png

You can see that the unit is a bit tilted towards the back. I read somewhere that, that is how it is recommended - for safety purposes. But because of the tilt (presumably) it requires a bit of an effort to pull open the freezer unit. Closing is effortless though. But looks a bit awkward, right?

Last edited by dragonfire : 30th November 2021 at 19:48.
Old 30th November 2021, 20:00   #9163
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
But looks a bit awkward, right?
A bit, yes. Especially for folks with OCD, I know it will drive them crazy.

Can you check the front-bottom if the threaded mounts can be turned to adjust the height? This can perhaps solve the weird tilt.
Old 30th November 2021, 20:27   #9164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You can see that the unit is a bit tilted towards the back. I read somewhere that, that is how it is recommended - for safety purposes. But because of the tilt (presumably) it requires a bit of an effort to pull open the freezer unit. Closing is effortless though. But looks a bit awkward, right?
Not for safety but for folks who're careless enough to leave the door open. So the installation guys does this type of tile for regardless even if we're detailed to attention people.

Tilt a little backward & the door closes with ease, otherwise, the door closes till the edge, just enough to switch off the light inside, but still remains open for few mm. This happens over the years, not immediately though.

Last edited by aargee : 30th November 2021 at 20:29.
Old 30th November 2021, 21:14   #9165
Distinguished - BHPian

A slight tilt is indeed for for closing, but it shouldn't be visible tilted. Just enough.

Most Viewed