Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2022, 14:22   #9226
BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by whencut86 View Post
I am looking to get a chimney and a hob and see many posts on the same. ...
For chimney, you can go for Faber easily. I have something similar to what you've selected in chimney (although 90cm) and it works fabulously. Not much idea about service yet since haven't had the reason to call them (fingers crossed).

For hobs too you can go with Faber. Proper and good glass hobs don't shatter. In fact the Faber showroom (in Koramangala) guy threw a heavy nut on the glass in front of us to show the durability.

There is a Bosch showroom in Sarjapur road (I think near Reliance Digital). You can find more in their website.
ValarMorghulis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2022, 14:30   #9227
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
. Faber has 1500m3/hr suction capacity.
I dont think this should be a concern for house-hold cooking.

What we did was: get a 90cm chimney, though our stove was smaller.

Also, not happy with Faber hobs now. We replaced our Faber with another one, and not happy. Not the Faber of old. After this experience, we got Elica hob + chimney, and have not had any complaints.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2022, 12:19   #9228
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I am looking to replace my 10 + year old 2-door LG refrigerator (280 Ltrs.) for this year's Republic Day Sale. I am not much aware about the home appliances, so I was looking for some suggestions from you'll to help me pick one.

My usage is just a regular 2-door refrigerator; nothing specific then that. Also, since my last purchase was more than 10 years ago, pretty sure there must have been substantial improvement in the refrigerators. It would be great if you'll could guide me here as to which brand to go for now, capacity (in general maybe?), any other specifics which I need to keep in mind.

Thanks.
Old 13th January 2022, 19:38   #9229
Oxy
BHPian

Am looking for a refrigerator, max 30-31 inches in width as that is all the space I have. What is the best I can get?

Have shortlisted two models so far:

1. Panasonic 551L - https://www.amazon.in/Panasonic-Fros...=1&ext_vrnc=hi

2. Bosch 559L - https://www.amazon.in/Bosch-KGN56LB4...=1&ext_vrnc=hi

Any reviews/feedback from fellow BHPians would be very helpful.
Old 13th January 2022, 20:20   #9230
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
Am looking for a refrigerator, max 30-31 inches in width as that is all the space I have. What is the best I can get?

Any reviews/feedback from fellow BHPians would be very helpful.
Used a Whirlpool 360L for close to 15 years and went for a 500L one since we needed more capacity. This one is 31 inches with packing and so will fit your requirement. Been using one for 2 years now and no complaints so far.

https://www.whirlpoolindia.com/refri...nty-21305.html

Last edited by whencut86 : 13th January 2022 at 20:31. Reason: correction
whencut86 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2022, 20:31   #9231
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
For chimney, you can go for Faber easily.

For hobs too you can go with Faber. Proper and good glass hobs don't shatter.

There is a Bosch showroom in Sarjapur road (I think near Reliance Digital). You can find more in their website.
Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
After this experience, we got Elica hob + chimney, and have not had any complaints.
Went to Elica store and found that Whirlpool also has a few options and service and support is common to both brands. Whirlpool has 10mm toughened glass compared to 6mm or 8mm in other brands. Whirlpool has a 10 year warranty for Glass Top and 5 years warranty for burners. Whirlpool has Indian style brass burners which helps a good deal for our style of cooking as against the Italian burners.

Went to the Bosch store in Banaswadi and found that Bosch hobs nowadays come only with aluminum burners. Brass burners are more energy efficient ones and so will have to veer away from Bosch I guess, though Bosch has good stainless steel hobs and good chimneys as well.

I am looking at Whirlpool Hob with 4 brass burners and 3ft in length with an Elica chimney with auto filter clean and motion gesture technology. Have a combo offer for Hob and Chimney among either Whirlpool or Elica brands. Need to find some reviews for these models and then finalize the deal.
Old 13th January 2022, 20:34   #9232
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am looking at Whirlpool Hob with 4 brass burners and 3ft in length with an Elica chimney with auto filter clean and motion gesture technology. .
I think this is a fair pick.

IMO, brass burners are a hype. And cleaning is a pain.

Check at Devi International in Jayanagar. Good prices on items - all our purchases have been there. They may not have Bosch hobs.

Last edited by condor : 13th January 2022 at 20:37.
condor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th January 2022, 21:04   #9233
Distinguished - BHPian

The material of you burner will not influence the flame in any way. The Burner atomizes the gas air mixture for efficient burning. That's all
sagarpadaki is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th January 2022, 22:32   #9234
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Am looking for a refrigerator, max 30-31 inches in width as that is all the space I have...
Reminder (you might be on to this already): The width as given in the specs does not include the extra space taken by the opening door. Unless the fridge is going to stand proud of its surroundings, take this into account.

I took a tape to a store, and measured the total amount of space needed.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2022, 23:55   #9235
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Reminder (you might be on to this already): The width as given in the specs does not include the extra space taken by the opening door. Unless the fridge is going to stand proud of its surroundings, take this into account.

I took a tape to a store, and measured the total amount of space needed.
In addition to what Thad has mentioned, do note that it is recommended to keep around 1-2 inches gap between the fridge surface and the walls. Though this recommendation is model/manufacturer specific these days. Side walls of the fridge do get hot at times if there is not enough space.

We are very satisfied customers of large capacity Samsung fridges. So basically it will all depend on the kind of support available in your city. Brand won't make a big difference. All mainstream brands will do, if the support is good.
sunilch is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th January 2022, 11:03   #9236
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post

IMO, brass burners are a hype. And cleaning is a pain.
I think brass burners tend to more chemically stable compared to steel burners - no rust powder in the cavities. Aluminum tends to warp easily. All these behaviors depend on the actual composition and physical design of the burners, I'm stating what I've observed with the few gas stoves we've had over the years.
Old 14th January 2022, 16:51   #9237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
The material of you burner will not influence the flame in any way. The Burner atomizes the gas air mixture for efficient burning. That's all
My bad. I should have mentioned Indian style Brass burners. There are hobs with the top half of burner made of brass and the bottom half made of aluminum. In this case the gap between both halves becomes wider with use making the flame escape from the middle as well. Various reviews of hobs in youtube and other forums made me aware of this. People invariably end up changing the burners every 1.5-2 years to avoid the hassle of changing the hob. To avoid this it is better to go with hobs where both halves of the burners are of the same metal/alloy.

The full aluminum ones which we get in hobs are mostly in Italian style burners which are suitable for slow cooking and have only one high flame wok/cooker burner which is mostly the large burner.

This is the reason to look for an hob with Indian style brass burners. I would have preferred a stainless steel hob but they don't come with Indian burners so I am choosing Whirlpool which has 10mm toughened glass with 10 year glass warranty.

Last edited by whencut86 : 14th January 2022 at 16:52. Reason: correction
Old 14th January 2022, 16:58   #9238
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

This is the reason to look for an hob with Indian style brass burners. I would have preferred a stainless steel hob but they don't come with Indian burners so I am choosing Whirlpool which has 10mm toughened glass with 10 year glass warranty.
You are right that the brass burners are thermally stable and do not warp with Indian style of cooking. Most of the table top gas stoves come with brass burners. I wonder what is stopping the hob makers to offer brass ones for those sold in India
Old 14th January 2022, 17:50   #9239
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
I think brass burners tend to more chemically stable compared to steel burners - no rust powder in the cavities..
Our previous faber lasted 15+ years. The stoves before that didnt have brass burners either. Unless the burners are of lower quality today ..
Old 14th January 2022, 19:55   #9240
Distinguished - BHPian

Every metal (well, everything!) expands with heat. If something that is meant to withstand getting hot doesn't, but deforms, then it is not the material that is at fault, it is the engineering/design.

Speaking as a non-engineer I'm quite surprised at the choice of aluminium, as its melting point can't be much higher than the flame. But, of course, it is not in the flame, and is cooled by the gas/air passing through it. Too hot to touch, yes, but no risk of melting.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks