Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2022, 11:14   #9271
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Avoid normal mixer grinder for dosa batter. Use a wet grinder. The advantages are :

. cold grinding as the batter does not heat up
. grinding by stones instead of shredding by blade. That gives smoother paste

This is what I bought a few years (and hundreds of dosas) ago

https://www.amazon.in/Elgi-Ultra-Gri...n%2C366&sr=1-7

The consistency is amazing. I have never got it in a mixer. The trick is to let

. Dal grind for 20 to 30 minutes
. Rice grind for at least 40 minutes

Here are a few images

The Home Appliance thread-rsc_7994.jpg

The Home Appliance thread-rsc_8015.jpg

The Home Appliance thread-rsc_8021.jpg

The Home Appliance thread-rsc_8035.jpg

The Home Appliance thread-rsc_8037.jpg

The dough was fermented overnight, and the idlies super fluffy
Aroy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th February 2022, 12:18   #9272
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Avoid normal mixer grinder for dosa batter. Use a wet grinder. The advantages are :

. cold grinding as the batter does not heat up
. grinding by stones instead of shredding by blade. That gives smoother paste

The dough was fermented overnight, and the idlies super fluffy
Exactly. This is how Idli/Dosa batter is prepared in most Tamil Nadu Households since many decades. Mixer grinder commonly called mixie is to prepare wet coconut Chutney and other small dry powdery substances like Idly podi, etc.

In my childhood, wet grinder will be used once in 3 to 4 days to prepare the batter. Sowbhagya was a household name in 80s and 90s with a big stone and chain holding the stone to the outershell.

The only servicing needed is the chain tightening as it will loosen often. After many years, the stone surface will become softer. So we have to chip them slightly and then first use it to grind wet paper to remove the stone dust.

Now there are many options with table top, tilting and three small stones, no big chain etc. I don't know whether Sowbhagya is still in business. We have retired it 10 years ago with 25 years of service. We are currently using a local make called some Meenakshi & Meenakshi from Salem. For places beyond Tamil Nadu, better to go with branded ones.

Problem is if you need a small quantity of idli batter occasionally or single person, you still need to have another appliance in the home. So to avoid it many now look for the single solution and use the mixer grinder itself. If using mixie, please make sure the rice/dal is soaked well and give breaks between the grinds. To improve fluffyness in the batter prepared by mixie, add a small quantity of wet home.
thanixravindran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2022, 15:26   #9273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Avoid normal mixer grinder for dosa batter. Use a wet grinder.
While on the topc of wet grinders, I browsed through Amazon. There are models starting from 3k all the way till 10k and more. All the models say the tub is stainless steel and the motors too are about 150w to 200w. Also, all the major brands have models that are cheap as well as expensive. So what is the difference? Any pointers?
Old 9th February 2022, 16:43   #9274
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
While on the topc of wet grinders, I browsed through Amazon. There are models starting from 3k all the way till 10k and more. All the models say the tub is stainless steel and the motors too are about 150w to 200w. Also, all the major brands have models that are cheap as well as expensive. So what is the difference? Any pointers?
Idli and Dosa (Or Dosha as Northies call it) lend themselves to multiple variations. As @Aroy has pointed out, traditional way of making a batter always involves a stone grinder. If you use a blade type wet grinder then the batter, IMO, is more watery since the rice and urad dal are crushed to bits.

The old Sowbhagya wet grinder which some members had pointed out was big, cumbersome and had a central stone that weighed a few stones. There was no doubts, however, when it came to its performance in terms of consistency of the batter and more importantly quantity. I know of some families who only do Idli for breakfast all days of the week all year long with no exceptions even for festivals. So it served them well. For other households where idli is not always on the breakfast menu, smaller stone type grinders (Table top) would do well. The wattage, IMO, has nothing to do with the final batter but only on the quantity. So you can decide.

The consistency of batter no doubt has a direct impact on the hardness of the final product. Higher the urad dal harder it gets. Every family have their ratio and depending on the digestive capacities of its members and of course on the strength of their teeth. Its also even pre mature to get into the debate of accompaniments viz chutney, sambar (or the poorer alternative of "Mulagai podi" / "Chutney powder") and whether its even etiquette to "Dip" idli in sambar or chutney or to serve them "Separate". Bengalureans can very well relate to the last statement.

PS : Personally, we have long moved to batter packets which are ubiquitous and serve well for most occasions.

Last edited by srini1785 : 9th February 2022 at 16:49.
srini1785 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2022, 17:43   #9275
Distinguished - BHPian

The small idli/dosa-flour shops near me are using these grinders all the time: I doubt that I use cheap ones, because one of the differences would be service cycle. Professional models are probably able to run continuously.

I recall, a few years back, some people getting these grinders for making chocolate. For getting the required number of hours continuous run, they could not use the domestic ones and had to get a higher-rated model from the manufacturers.

I used to want an old-fashioned wet grinder, just because there used to be one in every traditional kitchen I visited. My wife (sensibly) forbade it, saying, "How many idlys do you eat in a year?" Any time we want, we get, freshly made, from one of those shops I mentioned. Within five minutes walk.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2022, 18:25   #9276
BHPian

I see praises for the stone based grinder here, but are they worth the hassle? We had been making idlis in our mixie/blender for several years now and I don't think it is any less soft or fluffy than the ones we get in restaurants.

Anybody has a scientific take on how the ones ground using stone could be softer/tastier than the ones ground by blades inside a jar?
Old 9th February 2022, 21:35   #9277
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire View Post
Anybody has a scientific take on how the ones ground using stone could be softer/tastier than the ones ground by blades inside a jar?
Maybe this is not very scientific, but a previous poster mentioned that stone grinds whereas blades slash. Must admit I've wondered how a mixxie can grind. But then, small coffee grinders (also used for spice by some) use blades. I'm not a coffee drinker: I probably just opened a whole can of coffee worms!

The traditional method would have used stone, right?
Old 9th February 2022, 21:54   #9278
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Major aspect is the aeration that happens better in wet grinder during the grinding process. And the smoothness of the batter is better. Finally it can operate for a long time continuously without getting hot. All these affects the batter. Having said that as long as the batter ferments properly even the ones made from mixie will be soft though not as much.
TorqueyTechie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2022, 22:02   #9279
BHPian

Quote:
I see praises for the stone based grinder here, but are they worth the hassle? We had been making idlis in our mixie/blender for several years now and I don't think it is any less soft or fluffy than the ones we get in restaurants.

Stone based grinding is always better with respect to taste, texture and flavour. Not just for idly/dose batter, it is also true for Chutney, Spice Powder(Jeera, Dhaniya, Chilli, Turmeric, Ginger. Regarding why it is fluffy, I think its because the batter is coarse allowing more air to mix AND low/no heat, which would prevent binding to a small extent. The first the batter sees heat is on the Tawa OR in the idly cooker. So it will come out fluffy.

In my neighbourhood, every home had a manual stone grinder(similar to mortar and pestle, but bigger). Chutney, Vada batter(both Medu/Masala), Sambar Powder was prepared in that. The taste and texture was simply out of this world. Ofcourse, mixer grinder was faster and convenient and replaced this.

If you want to avoid the hassle of cleaning table top wet grinder, buy a 'Tilting Type'. That way you dont need to do heavy lifting while loading/unloading the contents, cleaning the grinder etc.

Last edited by akhil_007 : 9th February 2022 at 22:07.
akhil_007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2022, 22:38   #9280
BHPian

I don't know the scientific reason but from experience the fluffiness in idli or the crispiness in dosa has been better even after 3 days in wet grinder based batter compared to the one done in Mixer grinder (more pronounced in Dosa which becomes rubbery). I feel the same with instant batter like ID that is available in stores now.

As others posted it may be due to the aeration in wet grinders compared to the mixer grinders. Regarding heat, I thought a little heat is needed for fermentation to happen (in cold places it takes long time to ferment), so not sure how the cold grind helps here. I once took a closed box full of batter from my home town to Bangalore in the boot without realizing the heat caused the batter to ferment and hit the lid and when opened it was all over the place.

Before the electric based ones, in the past, it was done by hand grinding (In Tamil it is called as Aatu ural or Aatukal) using stone. Same is for grinding masala or chutney, it was called Ammi in Tamil. Only link I can see is all of them are in open air. Someone would have automated it using a motor which is a relief to women in many households.
thanixravindran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2022, 23:07   #9281
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
Guys, need some help and suggestions please. I want to change the Geysers in my house and all of them were installed at the time of us shifting in, which was around 25 years ago. They are of a brand that are probably no longer in business. (Cascade)

Since I want to change them now, how do I choose the right geyser, so that the existing bolts can be used. This is a vertical cylinder style 25-30 lt geyser.
Since you need to replace everything, why not get a heat pump that sits on the terrace? You will get hot water in all baths and it will consume far less electricity than multiple geysers.

My house has 5.5 baths and there is a builder provided solar geyser. Alongwith that, I am planning to add a heatpump before the rainy season when solar is not so effective.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 9th February 2022 at 23:08.
reignofchaos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2022, 23:08   #9282
Senior - BHPian

https://www.elgiultra.com/products/w...rind-gold.html

This is a small wet grinder popular in south India, the 2L variant is small and the weight is OK to be moved around. For a family of 2 or 3, it can make idli / dosa breakfast everyday for about 3 to 3.5 days. When mom was approaching 60's , she was able to move the batter bowl and stone on her own accord, but now that she is approaching her 70s, that job of moving the batter bowl to the next location falls on the next generation.

Check it out in person or some youtube reviews to get a better idea.

In the olden days of the mixie as a batter grinder, mom used to add ice cubes from the fridge to counter the heat, of course, the water has to be balanced accordingly.

Last edited by govigov : 9th February 2022 at 23:13.
govigov is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th February 2022, 07:38   #9283
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
https://www.elgiultra.com/products/w...rind-gold.html

This is a small wet grinder popular...
This one weighs 17 Kgs! (specifications)

Someone from one of these Coimbatore companies should try to replace the effect of gravity with spring force. The weight of grinding stones could be reduced.

Burr grinders are possibly the closest things to these wet grinders, but most are designed for dry coffee and spices - they would not last long if water seeped into the electricals. I was thinking meat grinders could be adapted for grinding rice and dhall, if the blades could be replaced by the Burr grinder mechanism.
Old 10th February 2022, 11:59   #9284
KPR
BANNED

Quote:

I don't have a scientific explanation but wet grinder is what you should use to make Dosa Idli batter. My observations on soft Idlis based on what ladies in my home make:

Day 0 evening:
1. First batch of grinding should be soaked urad dal in grinder. Then transfer it into a big container.
2. Second batch should be soaked rice grinding. Add this slurry into urad dal slurry.
3. Add salt. Mix with bare clean hand for 3-4 minutes.
4. Close the container and set the batter aside over full night. Ensure there is only 3/4th of content in the big container as volume will increase overnight depending upon ambient conditions for the night (typical tropical climate of TN).

Day 1:
5. Next day morning at around 8 AM there will be raise of batter upto lid. Please don't stir the batter using large spoon. Take scoopfuls from top layer (as is condition batter) and make idlis. After cooking put the container into refrigerator.
6. Idlis can be made using this refrigerated batter until Day 1 dinner.

Day 2:
7. The batter is fit only for dosa thereafter. Idli will not be good.

Making Dosa or Idli on Day 0, Dosa on Day 1 and Idli on Day 2 onwards using the batter are acts of sacrilege

The above is from the tradition being followed in my house. It can vary a lot. I'm a hardcore fan of soft idli made at my home. When I'm struck with cold these steaming hot soft idlis with onion chutney for breakfast is my best medicine.

P.S: You can buy table top tiltable wet grinders.
KPR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th February 2022, 12:31   #9285
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPR View Post
I don't have a scientific explanation but wet grinder is what you should use to make Dosa Idli batter. My observations on soft Idlis based on what ladies in my home make:

Day 0 evening:
1. First batch of grinding should be soaked urad dal in grinder. Then transfer it into a big container.
2. Second batch should be soaked rice grinding. Add this slurry into urad dal slurry.
3. Add salt. Mix with bare clean hand for 3-4 minutes.
4. Close the container and set the batter aside over full night. Ensure there is only 3/4th of content in the big container as volume will increase overnight depending upon ambient conditions for the night (typical tropical climate of TN).

Day 1:
5. Next day morning at around 8 AM there will be raise of batter upto lid. Please don't stir the batter using large spoon. Take scoopfuls from top layer (as is condition batter) and make idlis. After cooking put the container into refrigerator.
6. Idlis can be made using this refrigerated batter until Day 1 dinner.

Day 2:
7. The batter is fit only for dosa thereafter. Idli will not be good.

Making Dosa or Idli on Day 0, Dosa on Day 1 and Idli on Day 2 onwards using the batter are acts of sacrilege

The above is from the tradition being followed in my house. It can vary a lot. I'm a hardcore fan of soft idli made at my home. When I'm struck with cold these steaming hot soft idlis with onion chutney for breakfast is my best medicine.

P.S: You can buy table top tiltable wet grinders.
I also use a similar cycle, except I use a 1/2 tea spoon of methi to the mix. Dal becomes super fluffy after 20 min. I add water till the mix is slightly runny.

In case of rice, it is best to add a bit at a time if you want thick paste. As the rice grinds the particle become smaller and need water.

I make a thick paste and then dd water (some of it from cleaning the grinder) till the consistency is just right. The dough should rise 2-3 times the height for fluffiest idlies. Refrigerated dough will give you idly for at least two days, before it becomes sour. By the way we mix salt after fermentation and mix the dough thoroughly. Let it settle for 1/2 hour and then steam the idly.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks