Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2022, 12:07   #9376
BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Experts,

Looking for a domestic flour mill for home consumption for a family of 3.
Wouldn't it be much simpler to source the grains and find a nearby flour mill to convert it to flour? We've being doing that for years, once a month.

It's just too much trouble to run and maintain one at home.
ranjitnair77 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th March 2022, 07:33   #9377
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
I used a multi plug and kept the food processor and the microwave connected to the same point. Just made sure that we don't used both at the same time. This was the most cost-effective and clean solution.

Something like this:
https://www.amazon.in/Anchor-Pilot-M...s%2C275&sr=8-5
Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Both the plug sockets seem to be 16A. Just to confirm, I would open the board and check the thickness of feed wires and switch amperage. The switch (one with nothing written on it) could be 16A too.
Both sockets & switches were 16A, so I didn't need any changes there.
I purchased the Anchor multiplug (Rs. 110 at a local shop).

Everything is now fitted & this is what it looks like

The Home Appliance thread-plug.jpg

The multiplug is on the left socket & the microwave & mixie connects to it & the right socket has the coffee machine. Thank you everyone.
carboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2022, 10:47   #9378
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
The multiplug is on the left socket & the microwave & mixie connects to it & the right socket has the coffee machine.
To be extra cautious, I'd additionally advise not to run the microwave and mixie at the same time.
itwasntme is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th March 2022, 11:16   #9379
BHPian

Quote:
Both sockets & switches were 16A, so I didn't need any changes there.
I purchased the Anchor multiplug (Rs. 110 at a local shop).

Everything is now fitted & this is what it looks like

Attachment 2288162

The multiplug is on the left socket & the microwave & mixie connects to it & the right socket has the coffee machine. Thank you everyone.
Since the MW has higher load (15A) I'd connect it to the standalone socket and connect the coffee machine and the mixie to the multi plug (both has 5A plugs).
archat68 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2022, 11:25   #9380
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
Since the MW has higher load (15A) I'd connect it to the standalone socket and connect the coffee machine and the mixie to the multi plug (both has 5A plugs).
That was my original plan. But then the coffee maker's plug doesn't fit into the multiplug's main socket.

I am surprised how the coffee maker has a 5A plug - it's a 450W Coffee Maker.
Old 25th March 2022, 11:27   #9381
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sound advice. A microwave is far more likely to be used throughout the day rather than a coffee machine.
Old 25th March 2022, 11:28   #9382
BHPian

Quote:
I am surprised how the coffee maker has a 5A plug - it's a 450W Coffee Maker.
450w translates to approx. 2A.
Old 25th March 2022, 11:34   #9383
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srini1785 View Post
I am not going to defend my self. Yes, even mine goes through a normal socket. Man, why didn't I not notice?

Then again as I said before, the manufacturers provide the plug that the appliance needs. So you don't need to worry about current ratings.
How do I prevent the surge/spike created when the microwave switches on/off (or rather, the effects of the surge/spike) on my Firestick?

Unfortunately, the power is supplied to both from the same and only phase. The Firestick senses the surge as "USB stick inserted" and will disrupt anything we are watching and open ES File Explorer.

I use a spike buster, is there anything I can do to prevent this happening? A big capacitor on the output of USB power supply, etc?
Old 25th March 2022, 12:01   #9384
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Sound advice. A microwave is far more likely to be used throughout the day rather than a coffee machine.
Hmm, in my home, the coffee maker is used may be 3-4 times a day, while the microwave maximum of 3 times a day.

Quote:
450w translates to approx. 2A.
Going by the formula, yes. But I have seen 1000W appliances come with a 16A plug. A 5A should do fine for 1000W as per the formula.
For e.g. the Microwave is 1150W. 1150/240 = 4.8A - so even that should work fine on a 5A socket.

Disclaimer: FWIW, I don't understand electrical stuff much - I have mostly forgotten whatever little electrical subjects I have studied in college.

Last edited by carboy : 25th March 2022 at 12:07.
Old 25th March 2022, 13:35   #9385
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
How do I prevent the surge/spike created when the microwave switches on/off (or rather, the effects of the surge/spike) on my Firestick?

Unfortunately, the power is supplied to both from the same and only phase. The Firestick senses the surge as "USB stick inserted" and will disrupt anything we are watching and open ES File Explorer.

I use a spike buster, is there anything I can do to prevent this happening? A big capacitor on the output of USB power supply, etc?
A firestick with USB connected to a power socket no?.

A microwave when it switches off won't cause any surges. IIRC I had explained what a surge is. Its a current phenomenon which is caused by a lightning strike or a huge inductive load discharge.

However, what might happen is a voltage transient. A voltage transient happens when a connected load (Especially inductive) is suddenly switched off. The terminal voltage would undergo a shift from say 210V (During operation) to say 230V (when switched off) with a peak in between. This disruption may trigger an error in the other connected devices as they may interpret this change as some sort of error.

You can try to connect these two devices to two different circuits i.e to two different MCB's in the board. In that way at least there should be a MCB between them to trip.

How to find if they are in the same circuit is by simply switching off the MCB's in the board and checking if both are off at the same time. If they do then they are in the same circuit. If they are both in the same room then there is a 99% chance that they are in the same circuit.

Last edited by srini1785 : 25th March 2022 at 13:36.
srini1785 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2022, 14:24   #9386
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srini1785 View Post
A firestick with USB connected to a power socket no?.

How to find if they are in the same circuit is by simply switching off the MCB's in the board and checking if both are off at the same time. If they do then they are in the same circuit. If they are both in the same room then there is a 99% chance that they are in the same circuit.
Yes, they are in the same circuit. That's why I have to look for a solution that suppresses the transient at the power supply.
Old 26th March 2022, 17:44   #9387
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
Can anybody share their experiences with the “inverted” refrigerator, i.e. deep freezer at the bottom & the regular fridge the top?

I am looking to buy one and I could see that this particular type is ONLY offered by Haier.
Did you go for Haier option finally? And specially the inverted refrigerator?

We are in the same quandary, really liking a Haier "inverted" refrigerator option that we saw today as compared to the Samsung & LG models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
If it helps, we have a Haier side by side fridge for about a year and it's working well. As it's working well, we have not had a chance to get to know the service side of things. But the delivery and product are good and as good as any others in the market.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
I have recently bought 2 haier refrigerators
I do have bought the extended warranty just in case. Hope this helps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay6988 View Post
I've two appliances from Haier - a small refrigerator (240ltr) and split AC (1 tonne). The 3 year old AC is working well no issues at all, I just get it serviced and cleaned every year before summers. The refrigerator is about 5 years old now and off late the freezer compartment is not getting cooled - I don't hear the compressor kick in. However it does come with 10 year warranty on the compressor so I'm keeping my fingers crossed ! I have to get it checked by technician, will update here.
Guys,
Any of you got to use the servicing capabilities (for issues/etc) of Haier till date? Wondering if it should be a concern in a city like Bangalore. Any feedback would be much appreciated
Old 26th March 2022, 18:56   #9388
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Did you go for Haier option finally? And specially the inverted refrigerator?

We are in the same quandary, really liking a Haier "inverted" refrigerator option that we saw today as compared to the Samsung & LG models.
No yet. I did check a few refrigerators and they all seem to be pretty old model ones. The one's available in the offline stores don't match with whats shown on the Haier website.

Another thing is the space constraint for me. These inverted refrigerators are a bit difficult to fit in the space that I have in our kitchen.
Old 26th March 2022, 19:21   #9389
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Guys,
Any of you got to use the servicing capabilities (for issues/etc) of Haier till date? Wondering if it should be a concern in a city like Bangalore. Any feedback would be much appreciated
Touchwood, have not had any issue to call the service people. But since I bought it from Adishwars, we were asked to reach out to their customer care and they inturn will get the company service personnel to visit. So maybe that is an option you can think of.
Old 26th March 2022, 20:41   #9390
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post

Hi - I could not understand this fully. Have you connected the HDMI port of Fire TV stick to your TV and the USB to your wall adapter which is connected to the Mains socket? Or by chance you are using the USB connected to your TV/Laptop USB port and using it to transfer files too apart from powering?

When you start your Fire TV stick regularly, with power adapter it will just use only the Power lines and USB host will resolve it as Power source only. Only when you use it with a USB port device, it will charge as well use as storage.

I presume you don't see the Fire TV stick restarting during this equipment ON/OFF (Start up logo). Given this, it seems USB host controller is undergoing a soft reset.

Also, do you see any flicker in your lights (LEDs) connected or flicker of laptop screen during this scenario?

Most Viewed