Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2022, 22:43   #9391
BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post

Guys,
Any of you got to use the servicing capabilities (for issues/etc) of Haier till date? Wondering if it should be a concern in a city like Bangalore. Any feedback would be much appreciated
When I relocated from my old flat to new home, I contacted the electronics shop from where I bought the Haier AC and that guy did the complete AC removal, storing the AC gas and fitting it in my new place. Same guy does annual AC servicing/cleanup. And this is in my hometown - Baramati, a tier 3 city. You being based in Bangalore, I feel there won't be any concern at all regarding service !
Akshay6988 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th March 2022, 08:00   #9392
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanixravindran View Post
Hi - I could not understand this fully. Have you connected...

I presume you don't see the Fire TV stick restarting during this equipment ON/OFF (Start up logo). Given this, it seems USB host controller is undergoing a soft reset.
The voltage transient is somehow interpreted as a "USB drive plugged in" or "USB drive unplugged" signal. I'm using a 2.1 A USB power adapter from my old Samsung tablet. The Amazon power adapter does not have enough power to run a USB hub and the Firestick. I don't know if a higher wattage USB adapter will solve the issue (better transient suppression?)
Old 27th March 2022, 10:18   #9393
BHPian

Guys I bought a Bajaj pedestal fan, it's working great ! Way better than ceiling fan. Just a query, how to stop it oscillating from side to side ? I want to keep the fan head fixed at a position, is there any switch or something ? There's this one knob on the motor, but I don't know what it is for. Any suggestions are welcome !
Old 27th March 2022, 10:23   #9394
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay6988 View Post
I want to keep the fan head fixed at a position, is there any switch or something ? There's this one knob on the motor, but I don't know what it is for. Any suggestions are welcome !
You have already spotted it
Pull it up a notch gently to stop the swing motion n push back for swing.
ToThePoint is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th March 2022, 11:24   #9395
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
The voltage transient is somehow interpreted as a "USB drive plugged in" or "USB drive unplugged" signal. I'm using a 2.1 A USB power adapter from my old Samsung tablet. The Amazon power adapter does not have enough power to run a USB hub and the Firestick. I don't know if a higher wattage USB adapter will solve the issue (better transient suppression?)
Ok, so you have connected the Fire TV stick to a USB Hub and do you have connected some other devices as well to the USB Hub? IIRC, Fire TV stick (Non 4K) versions were rated for 5V, 1A (to be precise I think it is 900mA).

First please isolate the problem before concluding on transients and suppression.

So please check the rating of your USB hub as well rating of other devices you have connected to the USB Hub. If you don't have specs, please try to nail down the scenario this issue is happening.

1. Remove the USB Hub, directly use Fire TV stick with its wall adapter.

2. Use Samsung adapter and Fire TV Stick without USB Hub.

3. Use Samsung adapter and USB Hub with only Fire TV stick connected to hub.

4. Add other devices one by one to the USB Hub and repeat.

Just curious, what USB Hub you are using?
Old 27th March 2022, 12:05   #9396
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanixravindran View Post
Ok, so you have connected the Fire TV stick to a USB Hub and do you have connected some other devices as well to the USB Hub? IIRC, Fire TV stick (Non 4K) versions were rated for 5V, 1A (to be precise I think it is 900mA).

First please isolate the problem before concluding on transients and suppression
Happens only when microwave (magnetron) is switched on or off (while microwave option is used only).
Old 27th March 2022, 15:16   #9397
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
The flow sensor might have gone bad. It is a small part with a tiny circuit built-in. I too had to get it replaced, twice. The initial replacement packed up within a month and had to be changed.
We haven't got service yet (we will by tomorrow) because it spontaneously started working normally, but it's now started filling water, then it starts washing for a minute or so (if you open the door you'll see the sump full of water), then the check water lamp illuminates, it cancels the cycle (timer goes to 0:01) and ends. Did you happen to have a similar issue?
Old 27th March 2022, 15:55   #9398
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
Happens only when microwave (magnetron) is switched on or off (while microwave option is used only).
Yes, I saw it in your first post itself. However to fix, you need to know where the actual issue is.

The wall adapter (whether it is Amazon or Samsung) which has mains input is the primary side which should see the Surge or transient in power line and block it. The 5V output of wall adapter is the secondary side which is connected to the Fire TV stick or USB hub should not ideally see the transient itself. I believe they would have qualified properly complying to standards. The micro controller or USB controller in FireTV stick will probably use 3.6V. I highly doubt any surge passing through these many level conversions. Further you are not seeing any power reset i.e Fire TV stick restarting with logo screen. This means the Host controller is not getting a Power reset.

Hence I asked you to try out directly powering the Fire TV stick with its adapter or only it with Samsung adapter. If you have already concluded that it is voltage transient/surge, it is okay. You can try to add TVS diodes which will take care of different transients.

However tracing a issue like this will be really tough and often will be misleading. I believe you have a USB storage drive connected to the USB Hub. So my hypothesis is that the USB data lines D+ and D- is picking up stray signals during microwave ON/OFF and hence FireTV stick is detecting the USB storage drive as plugged/unplugged and prompts you to take action. Please try to remove other devices from Hub and try whether the same prompt is coming.

Since it is happening on the switch OFF of the microwave also, it can be a EFT (Electric Fast Transient) which produces a burst of very high frequency pulses during switching off an inductive load. This probably is causing the Ground shifting or any stray capacitance in the cable picking up them up from the ground line. Generally USB Data lines are protected with TVS diode like these. So try with a different branded USB cable also before attempting to fix with any components.
Old 27th March 2022, 19:47   #9399
BHPian

I want to monitor the power consumption from my AC. Can i use this smart plug, https://www.amazon.in/Helea-Wi-Fi-En...07XTHZ8WT?th=1, for that purpose?
Old 27th March 2022, 20:26   #9400
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Has anyone ever checked how much current is drawn by all our appliances which are always on on standby mode?

The TV being always on in standby mode - so that you can switch it on with the remote, the Microwave clock display being always on etc etc.

How much current do these things draw in idling mode?
Old 27th March 2022, 23:14   #9401
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Has anyone ever checked how much current is drawn by all our appliances which are always on on standby mode? How much current do these things draw in idling mode?
I found an old study about standby mode power consumption:
The Home Appliance thread-screenshot_20220327223720.png

The Home Appliance thread-screenshot_20220327230042.png

The Home Appliance thread-screenshot_20220327230117.png

The Home Appliance thread-screenshot_20220327223744.png

The Home Appliance thread-screenshot_20220327223850.png

And some links that might be useful:

https://www.dnaindia.com/personal-fi...wasted-2934108

https://www.endesa.com/en/blogs/ende...iance-the-most
CarNerd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th March 2022, 00:29   #9402
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron178 View Post
We haven't got service yet (we will by tomorrow) because it spontaneously started working normally, but it's now started filling water, then it starts washing for a minute or so (if you open the door you'll see the sump full of water), then the check water lamp illuminates, it cancels the cycle (timer goes to 0:01) and ends. Did you happen to have a similar issue?
Yes, it was a similar behavior that I experienced. The DW used to work intermittently and throw the check water error the other times.
Jaguar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2022, 06:14   #9403
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Has anyone ever checked how much current is drawn by all our appliances which are always on on standby mode?

The TV being always on in standby mode - so that you can switch it on with the remote, the Microwave clock display being always on etc etc.

How much current do these things draw in idling mode?
The energy star certification (US) and Blue Angel(EU) certifications mandate a certain maximum power usage in stand by mode. The calculation is not simple and so I cannot put that here. I don't know how the BEE rating (India) compares to these and what the standby ratings should be - but it would be great to get those definitions.
My guess would be that 5 star rated devices would consume under 3w of power in standby mode. Electronic applicances like TV may be under 2 watts.
Old 2nd April 2022, 01:43   #9404
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skumare View Post
You need to be aware of the higher noise levels from the BLDC fans (irrespective of brand) compared to normal fans, I think the relative lack of weight in BLDC fans may be the root cause or they may need to evolve further in design to minimize the noise levels. Other than this, I have a couple of them doing regular duty for the last 6 months, no issues other than the noise.
Interesting feedback. The one that I got emits really low noise. In fact the only sound generated is due to the air being pushed at Max speed. At speeds of 3 and lower, its noiseless. I will try to post an SPL reading at varying speeds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj123 View Post
I purchased an Atomberg fan last year, not the exact model when you are referring to, but I guess the working components remains the same. This fan is installed in my sons room and is running literally 24/7 especially during the COVID lockdown periods and thereafter. So far (after 1 year) of rigorous use I am satisfied with its performance.

It will make sense to go for BLDC (Brushless DC) fans if once usage is high, otherwise the payback period due to efficiency gain will be quite long. Also make sure to disconnect/bypass the fan regulator after installing any BLDC fan, as using electronic regulators may cause damage.
Thats excellent feedback. Yes I have gotten 2 and they are doing duty in the living and dining area where I expect them to see maximum usage.

The model I got needs the regulator. It is the Non Remote model and they have just one such model. I did not want another remote in the house. There are already way too many, with me being a Hi-Fi enthusiast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
We have the same fan for three years now. It's as good as any other fan. Even in Bangalore, March-June you will need a fan, no?
Thank You for the confirmation. Picked up two fans for the living and dining areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
If you dont mind, can you share the model name and a few pics. I need to finalize on a chimney by end of this week
I picked an Elica chimney. So far so good. They were prompt with the installation. It is quite compact, auto cleaning, slanted and other features. Wife did the research on that .

MaSh
mashmash is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2022, 12:06   #9405
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashmash View Post
The model I got needs the regulator. It is the Non Remote model and they have just one such model. I did not want another remote in the house. There are already way too many, with me being a Hi-Fi enthusiast.
Would you mind sharing which one this is? I am inclined to stick to the regulator model BLDC fan.

How easy/difficult is it to install a new fan? I love DIY and do most things myself, have all the tools etc. But have never installed a ceiling fan. Any tips to do this?

Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks