Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2022, 18:33   #9811
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

The big problem with alkaline batteries is that they start to leak before they stop working

I try to use rechargables unless stuff just won't work on the lower voltage
Old 24th November 2022, 22:32   #9812
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi.mariner View Post
How are Samsung Dishwashers? Our limited usage doesn't warrant buying a premium brand like Bosch/Siemens.
I saw a Samsung dishwasher in Croma today on a casual visit. It is quite simple with just 4 modes. It was at an offer price of 24K and probably with card offers will be lesser. The size seems full size with 13 plate setting.

I am currently using Voltas Beko picked up during lockdown which is quite small in size for 20K INR. I have to take it due to space constraints in our kitchen as full size machines won't fit. It is doing its job okay but our usage is minimal with just plates and cups and not typical Indian kitchen Kadai and Pans. No issues faced till now.
thanixravindran is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2022, 10:56   #9813
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanixravindran View Post
Samsung dishwasher in Croma
Booked the Samsung Dishwasher yesterday in Croma. Delivery is scheduled for Sunday. It is a 13 place setting Dishwasher. Got it at a price of 21500 and took the additional 2 years warranty as well (23.5k total). Some Black Friday sale is going on for the additional discount (CRMAGBN5H - Coupon Code).
adi.mariner is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th November 2022, 14:34   #9814
Senior - BHPian

Poor results from Dishwasher when used with hard water

We have moved to a new apartment, where the hardness level of water is higher compared to our previous apartment.

We used to get good results with the (IFB) dishwasher in our old apartment. We never had to hire a maid for doing the dishes.

In the new apartment with higher water hardness, we are getting water stains/mineral deposits on the dishes, when washed with the same dishwasher.

The salt and rinse-aid consumption has also increased drastically. We are using the same (IFB brand) detergent, salt and rinse-aid.

Note that both the apartments are located within 2-3 kms distance and the water source for both apartments is ground water plus water tankers.

Is this the expected behaviour ? What can be done ?

People have suggested to install a water softener. But the problem is that the apartment has 4 different water lines (One for kitchen and 3 for the bathrooms). Which means that I need to install and maintain individual water softeners, which is impractical.

Thanks in advance.
Old 25th November 2022, 16:10   #9815
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Poor results from Dishwasher when used with hard water

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
We have moved to a new apartment, where the hardness level of water is higher compared to our previous apartment.

We used to get good results with the (IFB) dishwasher in our old apartment. We never had to hire a maid for doing the dishes.

In the new apartment with higher water hardness, we are getting water stains/mineral deposits on the dishes, when washed with the same dishwasher.
Dishwashers have a setting to adjust salt for water hardness. I think in IFB, you need to press and hold start and Up (+)button while turning on power button simultaneously. You should check in the manual as I might have forgotten the buttons. Increase the level of you think you have hard water and vice versa. You can also try putting in less amount of detergent for a wash as the deposits you are seeing is most likely excess detergent’s leftover. Also, effectiveness sinks in gradually, so give the washer 3-4 washes to come to a conclusion.

Regards,
Saket.

Last edited by saket77 : 25th November 2022 at 16:13.
saket77 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th November 2022, 18:34   #9816
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Dishwashers have a setting to adjust salt for water hardness... Increase the level of you think you have hard water and vice versa.
One is supposed to get a test kit and actually check it. I recall doing this in the office, in London, when we got a new dishwasher. I don't think I've seen the kit in India, but then, I haven't looked!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2022, 21:36   #9817
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
One is supposed to get a test kit and actually check it...
Bosch dishwashers come with such a kit.
UPS_Guru is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2022, 12:26   #9818
BHPian

Hi Looking for 3 AC's for identical bedrooms of size 176 sqft with just bed, side table, 2 chairs and a coffee table. 1 bedroom is on top floor below the water tanks with walls on west and south with another bedroom below it in ground floor but shaded by neighboring houses. 3rd BR is in the north east with bed, side table, study table and a book shelf.

My bedroom is the one that receives the maximum heat during day We normally use ACs for max 4 months a year.

TIA
Old 26th November 2022, 13:03   #9819
BHPian

Quote:
How are Samsung Dishwashers? Our limited usage doesn't warrant buying a premium brand like Bosch/Siemens.
Been using the following model Samsung dishwasher brought directly from their online store.

https://www.samsung.com/in/dishwashe...w60m5043fs-tl/

This is their mid range model with 13 place setting with automatic door opening setting.

I am very much satisfied by the way it cleans the dishes. A small difficulty that has cropped up during one month usage is that some times the detergent dispenser door won't lock. You will have to use the tail end of a small plastic spoon to nudge the latch of the electronic lock back to place for it to lock again.

As for water hardness testing, just get a kit from an aquarium shop.

Last edited by adrian : 26th November 2022 at 13:05. Reason: adding info
adrian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2022, 15:52   #9820
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Our limited usage doesn't warrant buying a premium brand like Bosch/Siemens.
I wonder if it actually works the other way around?

Theory: a dish/clothes washing machine that is least used spends most time with stagnant water possibly causing rust/degradation/blockage.

As a mariner, your response to my theory would be especially welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
As for water hardness testing, just get a kit from an aquarium shop.
Aquarium shop. Brilliant, I never would have thought of that, not being into aquariums! Thanks.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2022, 16:01   #9821
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
a dish/clothes washing machine that is least used spends most time with stagnant water possibly causing rust/degradation/blockage.
What you have said is correct as regards to deterioration because of stagnant water. However I could get a Samsung Dishwasher (with 2 years extended warranty) for half the price of a Bosch/Premium brand dishwasher. I just couldn't ignore that.
adi.mariner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2022, 16:07   #9822
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
half the price
Hmmm... I think you are probably right.

I replaced our sump-to-overhead-tank house-water pump recently. I was peeved that it had only lasted five or six years. The pump salesman said yes, this was it's expected lifetime.

I asked him how much for a ten-year-quality pump? Twice the price. I decided to keep the money in the purse.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2022, 21:40   #9823
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Dishwashers have a setting to adjust salt for water hardness.
Regards,
Saket.
Thanks. I forgot to mention that I am already using the highest setting for hardness.

Any other suggestions ?
Old 27th November 2022, 23:02   #9824
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Thanks. I forgot to mention that I am already using the highest setting for hardness.

Any other suggestions ?
Ok! I would suggest to try with running a wash with lesser amount of detergent than you usually do.
Old 29th November 2022, 23:56   #9825
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Hi Folks,

I am looking for suggestions on a Rice cooker which I mainly want to use in Hotels while travel (incase it's hard to get hygienic food outside). I had Panasonic rice cooker 0.5 liter earlier but that feels very small and it worked fine till our kid was small.

We were looking for something like 2.5 liter to 4 litre. What are the good brands to go for. Any specific model that you would like to recommend in terms of reliability and value for money.

Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks