Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2022, 10:10   #9841
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by srini1785 View Post
No,Stabilizer will not do that job. You nee a Class C lightning rod on your rooftop and a surge protector at the incoming switch box. Check your earth pit for proper resistance.
A lightning rod is essential. In fact if the area is prone to frequent lightning one at each corner of the terrace will be the best.

Many times the lightning strikes the power lines directly and the surge travels all the way to your meter. In that case a lightning rod is of no help, and you have to have fast surge protectors instaled.

Some articles of interest

https://www.bantamcleanpower.com/sur...iAAEgKau_D_BwE

https://www.ingesco.com/en/products/surge-arrestors

https://www.siemens-energy.com/globa...arresters.html
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2022, 11:05   #9842
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Many times the lightning strikes the power lines directly and the surge travels all the way to your meter.
Yes, A surge protector in the incoming is essential. If the lightning strikes the primary side of a neutral grounded transformer on both sides, it would be isolated to the ground. My understanding is that most of the transformers are neutral grounded. The problem comes when your distribution side is Not grounded.

For some technical discussions:
https://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=305550
srini1785 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2022, 12:24   #9843
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Is there any high end stabilizer / device that I can fit to the main BESCOM/DG line to avoid such disasters?
Quote:
No,Stabilizer will not do that job. You nee a Class C lightning rod on your rooftop and a surge protector at the incoming switch box. Check your earth pit for proper resistance.
Srini sir has summarized the main points. At the mains inlet , you need to fix SPD (Surge Protection Device) rated at 20 kA or better which will sink the surge at the entry point itself. You can try something like this: https://www.amazon.in/AC-SPD-Phase-P...%2C209&sr=8-18

In addition, as I have been saying this many times in this forum, get a MOV (metal Oxide Varistor) rated at 300 V and 40 A at every supply point of your sensitive electronics/electric equipment. This will prevent damage to your expensive electronics.

There was a time we used to lose dozens of Network cards, PSU of computers as the incoming net cables brought lightening surges. Luckily with the advent of fiber optics it has stopped.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 9th December 2022 at 14:42. Reason: Fixing broken quote tags
Prowler is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2022, 14:27   #9844
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
At the mains inlet , you need to fix SPD (Surge Protection Device) rated at 20 kA or better which will sink the surge at the entry point itself.
When you say mains inlet, is it before the EB meter or on the DB? (I don't know anything about electricals, would like to do this for my flat). Also, if at the DB, I am guessing one piece will do, for a 3 phase supply.

Last edited by longhorn : 9th December 2022 at 14:28.
Old 9th December 2022, 18:10   #9845
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
When you say mains inlet, is it before the EB meter or on the DB? (I don't know anything about electricals, would like to do this for my flat). Also, if at the DB, I am guessing one piece will do, for a 3 phase supply.
You need to install the SPD at the output of the RCCB/ELCB, so in this scenario if you buy a 2 pole SPD with 275v rating, it will transfer all the electrical surge(anything above 275v) from live or neutral to the ground/earth.

If you fix the SPD at the output of the RCCB aka RCBO aka ELCB it will force these devices to trip, in doing so the surge can longer come into your house electrical points. The cons of this is that any time there is a high voltage spike above 275v even for less then 0.1 second it will trip. The reaction time of SPD is in pico seconds vs a stabilizer which is in milli second.

If you install the SPD at the input side of the ELCB then the ELCB may not trip and you have to soley rely on the SPD to do the job. Even a SPD can only function for few milli second of surge beyond which it will fail.

So by connecting it the the output of the ELCB you prolong the life of the SPD, since a surge can occur not just due to lightning strikes but also due to surge from utility in cases like crow sitting on wires, some kind of procession which cause the truck or man made object to touch the over head wires or if the utility company which does a poor job of fixing/repairing a transformer like having poor ground or poor phase balance.

Difference between a ELCB/RCCB vs RCBO is RCBO is ELCB+MCB.
aim120 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th December 2022, 07:38   #9846
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aim120 View Post
Difference between a ELCB/RCCB vs RCBO is RCBO is ELCB+MCB.
Do you have any links to recommended brands / products for both the ELCB/RCCB and SPD. Something that will be suitable for a 2 BHK apartment with 3 phase power supply would be great. Thanks in advance.
Old 10th December 2022, 09:15   #9847
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
Something that will be suitable for a 2 BHK apartment with 3 phase power supply would be great. Thanks in advance.
You have a 2BHK with 3Ph power?.
Old 10th December 2022, 10:39   #9848
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes. It's done by the builder.
Old 10th December 2022, 12:50   #9849
BHPian

Quote:
At least in most new societies in Pune, they are giving 3PH, making the fixed charge almost 3x as much for regular consumers @ 350rs + taxes. I am staying on rent and have no idea why, maybe its easy for the developer to get 3PH.
Old 10th December 2022, 13:36   #9850
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samfromindia View Post
At least in most new societies in Pune, they are giving 3PH, making the fixed charge almost 3x as much for regular consumers @ 350rs + taxes. I am staying on rent and have no idea why, maybe its easy for the developer to get 3PH.
If properly designed, 3PH supply is divided in home in such a way that the Total Connected Load on each phase is balanced. Rooms, kitchen, Utilities etc. Load is calculated separately and distributed to have almost equal load on each phase. Similarly, this calculation is carried back to substation and further back to have equal load on each phase.
Amrik Singh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2022, 15:36   #9851
BANNED

I think if connected load is above 5 kW, it is mandatory to take 3 phase connection.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th December 2022, 16:40   #9852
Senior - BHPian

Still on the hunt for a corded vacuum cleaner.

Saw this Eureka Forbes at Croma. Wasn’t too convinced about it. Felt a bit cheap besides the more expensive Philips. The specifications are identical with the Eureka Forbes offering a blower as well which is a win-win. A catch with the Philips was the 16A socket. We tried both. The Philips was quieter. Overall, the Philips looked and felt like a more quality machine though they are likely made in the same factory in China. Feedback needed on Eureka Forbes.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 10th December 2022 at 16:42.
Old 10th December 2022, 17:24   #9853
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Still on the hunt for a corded vacuum cleaner.

Saw this Eureka Forbes at Croma. Wasn’t too convinced about it. Felt a bit cheap besides the more expensive Philips. The specifications are identical with the Eureka Forbes offering a blower as well which is a win-win. A catch with the Philips was the 16A socket. We tried both. The Philips was quieter. Overall, the Philips looked and felt like a more quality machine though they are likely made in the same factory in China. Feedback needed on Eureka Forbes.
I have the cheaper Philips PowerPro Compact vacuum cleaner and I must say it's brilliant. My dog sheds hair three times a year and whenever that happens there is no respite. The Philips vacuum cleaner is very well engineered. It has a high suction and easily cleans up pet hair from even hard areas like upholstery. On the other hand, I've had an old Eureka Forbes vacuum cleaner and it doesn't clean nearly as good. I'd recommend the Philips over the Eureka Forbes any day.
vedirah is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2022, 09:08   #9854
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vedirah View Post
I'd recommend the Philips over the Eureka Forbes any day.
Appreciated.

What is the Power Pro model you have? How long have you or can you operate the unit in one go?

I have an older Power Pro too. Going strong for over 3+ years. The Eureka Forbes came up primarily due to lower price, the benefit of a blower and a regular 6amp plug. The Philips 5000 series we are considering has no blower and needs a 16amp socket. Rather unusual for a compact vacuum cleaner. Anyways, we have decided to go with the Philips. Will get a plug socket converter or change one of the sockets in the house to take a 16 amp plug.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 11th December 2022 at 09:11.
Old 11th December 2022, 13:06   #9855
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Will get a plug socket converter or change one of the sockets in the house to take a 16 amp plug.
Can you change a 5A socket to the a 16A one using a socket converter? Doesn't the point itself need to be a 16A one in the first place?

Most Viewed