Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2009, 15:41   #181
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Guys, i have a query.

I bought an IFB - Senorita fully automatic washing machine last year. It has a 5kg capacity. It used to behave itself early on, but has started rocking these days - LITERALLY!

It dances and runs all around the place during the spin operation, which makes it quite embarassing and has me flumoxxed. While i can bear the embarassment, i reckon this is also not good for the appliance. I dont think i am overloading it, as i think the load i put in is quite reasonable.

The place where the washing machine is kept is level ground in one of the rooms. It doesnt rock when not in operation.

Any ideas as to what could be the issue, or will i have to wait for the IFB technicians to come and check it out?
Ditto with my IFB machine. It is all over the place while spinning. I think it is the case with all IFB machines. you could try to buy small rubber mats or a one piece of big one around 2 mm thickness and cut it into four pieces and put it under the legs of the machine. i think it should prevent the movement while in use.

Mansi
Old 12th January 2009, 15:46   #182
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
manaa45 : I think it is the case with all IFB machines.
It can & will happen with any brand. Pls call your service person & get it rectified. It is a problem with the unit, and not with the brand/make.
Old 12th January 2009, 15:52   #183
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
It is not supposed to, atleast when not in operation.
Well, the basic point behind this was to ensure that it doesnt have feet of clay, or any unevenness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Something come off inside ? Causing Newton's 3rd law to manifest so obviously. If not under wty, you could give it a shot. Else suggest wait for the guys to come.
Well, its under warranty, and i have also purchased Extended Warranty. Talk about confidence!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I suggest you try putting on some classical music during spin cycle to calm it down
Jokes apart, it looks like motor mounting. Sometimes, one of the mountings goes, and uneven pressure is applied, leading to dance.
Since i am not supposed to fidle with it myself, will wait for them to come and check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission_Safari View Post
My IFB does the same. When i checked with one of my colleagues who uses IFB he agreed that he had the same issue and is common in IFBs as they get older. He bought a samsung washing machine now and says its really silent.
If it was old, and it danced i wouldnt bother too much. This is hardly a few months old, and i expected better from it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaa45 View Post
Ditto with my IFB machine. It is all over the place while spinning. I think it is the case with all IFB machines. you could try to buy small rubber mats or a one piece of big one around 2 mm thickness and cut it into four pieces and put it under the legs of the machine. i think it should prevent the movement while in use.
I have already tried my best to reduce the running around by having the machine rest on doormats. Will now have to gift the machine better footwear?!
Old 12th January 2009, 16:21   #184
k36
BHPian

I too face this problem with my 8 year old IFB, but only when I'm washing some heavy items, e.g. bedsheets. Not for regular washing loads.

Please keep us updated on what the service engineers say.
Old 12th January 2009, 17:46   #185
Distinguished - BHPian

Usually this is caused by the feet not being adjusted properly. The machine may have moved just slightly since it was set up, or perhaps the rubber on one foot might be worn or broken.

It is something to worry about, as a washing machine that starts vibrating can demolish kitchen cabinets!
Old 12th January 2009, 18:03   #186
BHPian

Quote:
Guys, i have a query.

I bought an IFB - Senorita fully automatic washing machine last year. It has a 5kg capacity. It used to behave itself early on, but has started rocking these days - LITERALLY!

It dances and runs all around the place during the spin operation, which makes it quite embarassing and has me flumoxxed. While i can bear the embarassment, i reckon this is also not good for the appliance. I dont think i am overloading it, as i think the load i put in is quite reasonable.

The place where the washing machine is kept is level ground in one of the rooms. It doesnt rock when not in operation.

Any ideas as to what could be the issue, or will i have to wait for the IFB technicians to come and check it out?
Benny, I know this problem. I have an IFB Senorita. I too had this when we shifted our home last year. It was just doing almost a complete dance all around my utility area knocking down everything around and the noise was horrible. I was about to call the service guys, but solved it pretty easily.

Its pretty simple. The surface is not level. Though it may not be apparent by inspection or by trying to rock the WM. You have to use some spacers (folded paper, etc) below the legs to adjust this and have to do some trial and error for some time.
Old 12th January 2009, 19:23   #187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... IFB - Senorita fully automatic washing machine last year. It has a 5kg capacity. It used to behave itself early on, but has started rocking these days - LITERALLY!

It dances and runs all around the place...
Quote:
...i am not supposed to fidle with it myself...
If it was old, and it danced i wouldnt bother too much. This is hardly a few months old, and i expected better from it....

Ben boy,

You have given the answers yourself! Maybe it is doing all this to get you to fiddle with it!

(PS: Just could not resist!!! Sorry! )
Old 12th January 2009, 20:03   #188
BHPian

Ben,If it is front loading and if they dance then it is a huge problem and you need to get checked with the service guy. Hope the floor at which it is kept is not very smooth. If yes try keeping rubber pads but not wood pieces.
If it is top loading then it is dancing make sure to rearrange the clothes again as it happens especially with big clothes like jeans,bed sheets etc.

Last edited by aka_iitd : 12th January 2009 at 20:22.
Old 12th January 2009, 20:10   #189
Senior - BHPian

Hey Ben, get a washing machine stand from one of the ezones/viveks. I have 2 Senators 6kg IFB's (no i dont run a washing service got an extra one with the house i bought). The older one is almost 3 years old and getting a stand made sure I never faced this issue.
Old 12th January 2009, 20:22   #190
Distinguished - BHPian

It should not be necessary to resort to inserts under the feet, which are very likely to shake out of place anyway, the feet, at least at the front, should be adjustable. The machines that I have had supply a spanner for the job.

Not only should the feet be firm, but the machine should be level, and the only way to achieve this is with a spirit level --- which, I've observed to be a very rare tool among workers here; a reason in itself why I had to put a lot of work into levelling my machine! Check the level both side to side and front to back.

Do not accept an estimate, whether your own or an engineer's. If you have to, buy yourself a spirit level. You can use it to intimidate builders in the future, as well as levelling your machine so it is an investment!
Old 12th January 2009, 22:32   #191
BANNED

A good alternative to spirit leveller is a 2 meter or so long tube of water filled translucent tube - 1 Cm or less in diameter. All you need is to be able to see the water level in the tube while looking at it from the side.
Old 12th January 2009, 22:52   #192
Distinguished - BHPian

For levelling the washing machine, even a metre would do --- brick layers need rather longer lengths!

Do check side-to-side level as well as front-to-back level.

Do the fridge while at it!
Old 13th January 2009, 15:00   #193
BHPian

Its not about whether the WM is at perfect horizontal level or not. Its more about ensuring that all its four legs are firmly in the ground. In my case, it is placed in the utility area and its floor is slightly warped due to the water outlet.

This is definitely not a technical problem. I was completely aghast when I saw it first time and the behavior of WM makes it looks like a technical issue. Note that mine is a 7 year old WM and it works like charm even now.

Hope Ben has solved the issue by adjusting the level using some spacers below its legs. I think these models also comes with height adjustable legs.
Old 13th January 2009, 15:09   #194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaa45 View Post

Mansi
Dont these have adjustable legs (screw type). The machine isnt on a flat floor or 4 legs are not touching the floor.

And this happens when its not loaded properly or with less weight. Use the half weight option when you have less stuff loaded in.
Old 13th January 2009, 17:18   #195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
And don't microwave CDs unless that oven's next stop is the dump.

I've never done this, but a quick google will tell you why one might be tempted!!!!
Hey! this is very interesting.

How to Microwave a CD: 6 steps (with pictures) - wikiHow

Trying this tonight when i reach home.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks