Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2009, 23:27   #571
Distinguished - BHPian

Panasonic have made microwaves for a long time; maybe even for ever!

I don't know about in India, though. Samsung and LG seem to be Kings of the Indian electricals markets
Old 28th October 2009, 10:10   #572
BANNED

@sandeepmdas: I hope your vacuum never breaks down, ince EF are now very poor in service.
Old 28th October 2009, 13:25   #573
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@sandeepmdas: I hope your vacuum never breaks down, ince EF are now very poor in service.
I too was told the same by two dealers here, though they had stock of all models of Eureka Forbes! They suggested Panasonic or LG. But in fact LG doesn't have a service centre here, only an agent of their franchisee. Samsung has good service centre but they don't seem to have vacuum cleaners.
Old 29th October 2009, 00:54   #574
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Does panasonic market m/w ovens now ? Most of the shops, i am bombarded with sales pitch of either LG or Samsung.
Yes they do. I saw a panasonic mw in Unilet (just one model).
Old 29th October 2009, 10:44   #575
BANNED

I have a insulation failure / coil burnout on a hitachi vaccum cleaner. (not working with burning smell when switched on). It is an imported one.

Where in / around Cochin/Ernakulam can I service it? Or should I take it to the local service shop?
Old 29th October 2009, 10:52   #576
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
I have a insulation failure / coil burnout on a hitachi vaccum cleaner. (not working with burning smell when switched on). It is an imported one.

Where in / around Cochin/Ernakulam can I service it? Or should I take it to the local service shop?
The vacuum motos is high speed (I have seen 11,000rpm). The balance is critical. So the chances of the local chap being able to fix it properly are near zero. Try and get a replacement motor.
Old 30th October 2009, 16:33   #577
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Any views on the induction plates/ cooking. Any inhouse users feedback on the indian brands etc ??
I had to use an induction plate recently. Some imported brand. I was astounded by two things - it heats up very fast when the pan is placed on it, but if you place your hand, feels cool to the touch! It also needs certain types of pans only, cermaic does not work, nor does copper-bottom. I think this is the way cooking trends will go in five years or so.
Old 30th October 2009, 19:57   #578
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by filcord View Post
I had to use an induction plate recently. Some imported brand. I was astounded by two things - it heats up very fast when the pan is placed on it, but if you place your hand, feels cool to the touch! It also needs certain types of pans only, cermaic does not work, nor does copper-bottom. I think this is the way cooking trends will go in five years or so.
This is pretty old technology - why do you think it's going to pick up suddenly. Seriously asking. What's changed?

I don't think cooking on a gas stove is going to replaced in the mainstream in India for a long time.
- Many different kinds of utensils can be used on a gas stove - flat ones, curved ones, different kinds of metal, mud ports etc. Induction stove needs specific kinds of vessels in specific shape.
- Cooking Gas is very cheap in India as compared to electricity.
- Upfront cost is far less for Gas Stove
- With piped gas picking up all over the place, the one small disadvantage
of gas stove is gone.
Old 30th October 2009, 21:54   #579
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
The vacuum motos is high speed (I have seen 11,000rpm). The balance is critical. So the chances of the local chap being able to fix it properly are near zero. Try and get a replacement motor.

Thanks, something I had not considered.
Old 2nd November 2009, 09:04   #580
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
.... Seriously asking. What's changed?

I don't think cooking on a gas stove is going to replaced in the mainstream in India for a long time.
- Many different kinds of utensils can be used on a gas stove - flat ones, curved ones, different kinds of metal, mud ports etc. Induction stove needs specific kinds of vessels in specific shape.
- Cooking Gas is very cheap in India as compared to electricity.
- Upfront cost is far less for Gas Stove
- With piped gas picking up all over the place, the one small disadvantage
of gas stove is gone.
Most of your reasons are absolutely right, which is why right now I am not rushing to change from bottled gas.
However induction cooking uses far less electricity than old-fashioned electric cookers with a thermal ring. Hence the cost differential with gas is not that much.
I see a great potential for holiday homes, and bachelor pads, where the cooking load is light, and gas access is troublesome. Even in a regular home, it's much cleaner (no carbon dioxide emission), so that will have weight in decision making.
Old 2nd November 2009, 12:47   #581
Senior - BHPian

I am shopping for buying a new washing machine. I am confused between various options in IFB and one Samsung the ultimate washing experience WF8552SEH - Front Loading - Washing Machine | SAMSUNG

My max budget is 25000. Any advice please....
Old 2nd November 2009, 16:51   #582
Distinguished - BHPian

My Expensive UK Items...

Well, my Bosch washing machine, I'm delighted to say, is resurrected and working well again with it's new circuit-board 'brain' in place.

Now it is the turn of my Liebherr fridge. Liebherr? Don't they make huge, ginormous cranes and stuff? Yes! But they also make high-quality domestic equipment too. I believe they manufacture Miele.

My fridge should not really be expected to work as well in India, as it is made for Temperate Climate, not tropical, but it has now failed. Freezer is getting cold, but not fridge.

Our local AC/fridge man took a look at it, said that the gas is not easily available (R600?) and went away to look for some.

Eventially I found a phone number for a Delhi company, and we talked to a great lady called Monica, who talked us through looking for signs of failure on circuit boards and stuff, and who said that it is probably the sensor. What's more, they actually have one in India! They can send a man from Bangalore....
Old 2nd November 2009, 18:12   #583
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
It's the new Samsung Front loader.

It didn't dance around at all for the first 2 days. Then I bought a stand for it with adjustable rubber legs to increase the height so it's easy to clean below and easy to remove and put clothes.

After fitting the stand the dancing started. I called the samsung guy (who provided the stand) who came and adjusted the stand and after that it started dancing the other way towards the fridge.
I got irritated of the dancing and called up Samsung service line. Next day they send a technician who is visibly irritated that I put a stand on 1200rpm front loader.

When I told him that it was recommended by the demo/install guy he gave me a number and told me to lodge a complaint with them.

HE removed the stand and ran the machine on spin with different loads of clothes at 1200rpm and the machine did not budge.

Called the number and a very nice gentleman apologized and said he would take the engineer who sold the stand to task as they never fit stands for front loaders.

Next day the engineer comes home apologizes and tells me there was no need to complaint against him. He then takes the stand and refunds the money.

The Samsung technician said only IFB makes stands for front loaders that do not shake.
Old 2nd November 2009, 20:20   #584
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Next day the engineer comes home apologizes and tells me there was no need to complaint against him. He then takes the stand and refunds the money.
But... obviously there was a need!
Old 2nd November 2009, 20:40   #585
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
My Expensive UK Items...

Well, my Bosch washing machine, I'm delighted to say, is resurrected and working well again with it's new circuit-board 'brain' in place.
I'm feeling sad that I threw my 15 year old Bosch dishwasher as I was not able to find a particular part in Bangalore, Mumbai or Singapore.

It was working fine till one coil got burnt. After that for 3 years I was never able to find the particular coil.

Just before moving to my new place with a heavy heart I had to scrap it.

Most Viewed