Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2009, 13:31   #586
Senior - BHPian

Washing powders

Since we intellectual's are discussing about Washing machine (majority of this thread) what about the consumables used by our wife's(although I decide for my machine), leave it for them to decide ???....naaah!!, besides the fancy ad's that entice them to buy washing powder here are some facts.

Dirt removal score

How well detergents clean is measured by the ‘detergency’ test (results shown in percentage).

Consumer VOICE tested this by analysing how much of soil could detergents remove from clothes. Indian standards specify that Grade 1 detergents should have a minimum detergency percentage of 65 per cent, Grade 2 should have 55 per cent, and Grade 3 should have 45 per cent.

1. We found that the regular category (falling in Grade 2) brand—Ariel Fresh Clean—has the highest detergency percentage of 69 percent, making its performance better than that of even premium (Grade 1)brands.

2. Two of the three premium category brands fell short of making the 65 per cent minimum detergency mark. Henko Stain Champion Matic and Ariel Ultramatic (both washing machine detergents) had 50.24 and 63.95 per cent detergency.

3. All other brands match upto the minimum detergency percentage required according to their particular categories (i.e. regular brands or Grade 2 have 55 per cent minimum detergency and Grade 3 brands have at least 45 per cent detergency

Name:  Table I.gif
Views: 2548
Size:  22.0 KB

The Home Appliance thread-table-ii.gif

Name:  Key Findings.gif
Views: 831
Size:  22.0 KB

If you are interested for more details, see attached pdf. Hope this will help us to make a wise and non-environmental polluting decisions.

Source: consumer Voice magazine and Effy
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Detergents-Feb09.pdf (735.8 KB, 4123 views)
Old 3rd November 2009, 13:56   #587
BHPian

Thanks. Great info there.
Old 3rd November 2009, 14:07   #588
BANNED

Some good info there; but I use - hold your breath - home made detergent power.

Do not ask me the details. Sister makes the powder with raw material sourced from the various shops, and she spends around 2 hours to make power enough for 2 households (hers, and ours) for around 45 days.

No, she does not sell it; and she had take n some course @ Khadi Gramodyog Bhavan for soap making. The course was only a few hours duration.

And I find absolutely no difference between the branded (surf excel, henko, and some other brand) and this home made soap.
Old 3rd November 2009, 16:34   #589
Distinguished - BHPian

Dadu, thanks for that information, which I will go through with interest

BaCkSeAtDrIVeR... amazing to know that you use home-made! One of the problems with soaps in washing machines, especially front loaders, is too much foam. You don't have any foam problem with your machine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
I'm feeling sad that I threw my 15 year old Bosch dishwasher as I was not able to find a particular part in Bangalore, Mumbai or Singapore.

It was working fine till one coil got burnt. After that for 3 years I was never able to find the particular coil.

Just before moving to my new place with a heavy heart I had to scrap it.
That is a shame. My Washing machine is 10 years old. repeating myself, but... the list price for my replacement part was over Rs24,000, and would have meant scrapping the machine. It is amazing what can be found, with perseverance, on the internet though, and eventually I located an affordable replacement.
Old 3rd November 2009, 21:48   #590
BANNED

Yes, foaming, if not careful with the quantity of soap used, is a problem.
Old 3rd November 2009, 22:46   #591
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Yes, foaming, if not careful with the quantity of soap used, is a problem.
I have SIEMENS washing machine and used to face foaming problem for large loads. Started using liquid detergent and problem was solved. Earlier I was using some brand Purizh(not remember the name now) but from last 6 months I am using S8 from Amway which I got as a sample from the distributor I source other products
Old 4th November 2009, 00:44   #592
Distinguished - BHPian

After reading the link in Dadu's post, it looks as if washing powders should get a special feature in the Are Indians Being Ripped Off thread.

The stuff they sell is is both not very good at cleansing, and very bad for the environment. It confirms my suspicions, although I thought it might have been the water --- clothes just do not look as good coming out of my washing machine here as they did in London.

I think I have to include the following on my advices to incoming expats: bring a giant box of your favourite washing powder.

Mind you, I have not checked the comparative prices.
Old 4th November 2009, 01:05   #593
Senior - BHPian

^^^ Not only is it not so good at cleaning, the effect it has on clothes also seems to be a cause for concern. Do you notice any difference in the "feel" of the clothes when you wash them here with Indian detergents and the results you got in the UK? I also wonder what effects the reside has on skin...
Old 4th November 2009, 01:11   #594
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes, I do... It always feels like they should have been rinsed a whole lot more!

It is very subjective though, and a lot has to do with the washer. At least the machine is a constant, but most of our stuff gets hand washed.

I had a plan to install a water softener, which got shelved due to other expenses, but it should make for better rinses.
Old 15th November 2009, 01:57   #595

Tupperware contact in south Bangalore

My relatives (in south Bangalore) are interested in buying some tupperware products and want to know details of some contact person. They have recently shifted there and do not know around. Do you know any contacts?
Old 15th November 2009, 08:37   #596
Senior - BHPian

I think the best method is Googling.
Type " Tupperware Banglore " in google and you will get a few results. Some of the are locations shown on map. Next, click on Maps on google after you get results for Tupperware Banglore.

Here you will get some data that might be useful.
Old 15th November 2009, 09:41   #597
Senior - BHPian

Hi R18A,
You can contact Reeya at tuptiptop@gmail.com, near Mantri Elite / Purva Heights on Bannerghatta road.
My wife buys all our tupperware from her as she gives excellent offers and gifts.

Hope this helps...
Old 17th November 2009, 15:49   #598
BHPian

Check on ebay. There are lot of sellers who sell Tupperware for much competitive prices than anyone I know around here in Hyderabad. Look for someone who is having a reputation of more than 99.5% and you should be in safe hands
Old 18th November 2009, 02:17   #599
Senior - BHPian

Has anybody with a dishwasher (esp. IFB) tried "Finish" products?

India specific website - Dishwasher products by Finish, recommended by leading dishwasher manufacturers!

The site also lists places where it is available in different cities, in case anybody wants to try.

Seems the stuff is all imported and pricy. 1 kg detergent with enzymes and oxygen bleach costs Rs. 300. Another variant which seemed to contain chlorine cost Rs. 400 for 1.4 kg.

IFB's detergent costs Rs. 220 for 1 kg. I was wondering if anybody here knows it it compares to Finish, considering the higher price tag. The containers have a sticker that say its recommened by IFB.

Last edited by Raccoon : 18th November 2009 at 02:18.
Old 18th November 2009, 11:15   #600
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
I use - hold your breath - home made detergent power ... I find absolutely no difference between the branded stuff and this home made soap.
Anyone tried soapnut? That's got to be the cheapest and most eco-friendly way to wash clothes. I have no idea how effective it is though!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks