Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2009, 15:12   #631
Senior - BHPian

Looks like they are not making good geysers anymore. The Racold instant geyser in my home in trivandrum is going strong after 10+ years. But my 2 year old 25L Racold geyser in bangalore keeps getting broken down every now and then. Have replaced the drum once, heating element twice and the thermostat once. Its like the everything except the outer shell has been replaced at least once. The service guy says, its due to the hard water in our area, but I don't believe.
Old 12th December 2009, 15:18   #632
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj123 View Post
Advise required to buy a 25 lts electric Geyser. It should be energy efficient preferably 5-Star rated BEE & must be aesthetically pleasing to look at.

Kindly advise.
Take a look at Remson as it has a fully copper tank. Copper tank has less scaling in hard water areas and has better heat retention as well.

After that I would recommend AO smith. Ao smith has a SS tank with a glass coating to prevent scaling.

The most popular one is Racold Eterno but that has a coated SS tank. It wont last long and will rust eventually.
Old 12th December 2009, 16:48   #633
Senior - BHPian

We have a Sol Ray geyser which has been going good for ages... definitely well over a decade. Yes, it has needed a service man couple of times for minor issues. Recently the gasket at the heating element needed replacement (started leaking) and the heating element was cleaned. We have slightly hard water, and it seems the scaling happens on the heating element, which can be cleaned in few minutes. The service man said the drum remains unaffected. If they still make geysers that last so long, they would be worth considering.
Old 14th December 2009, 16:10   #634
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Take a look at Remson as it has a fully copper tank. Copper tank has less scaling in hard water areas and has better heat retention as well.

After that I would recommend AO smith. Ao smith has a SS tank with a glass coating to prevent scaling.

The most popular one is Racold Eterno but that has a coated SS tank. It wont last long and will rust eventually.

Thanks , For me energy efficiency is of Paramount importance. Please let me know are these products (AO Smith, Racold) etc have some sort of energy star ratings ?
Old 20th December 2009, 00:15   #635
BHPian

Changing my refrigerator

Hi,

We are planning to change our 5-year old refrigerator (Godrej). We find ice in the crisper and water in the deep freezer

Please suggest a good brand/model in 300lts range. I checked Hitachi website and found this model to be good: 3 Door Refrigerator: Hitachi Home & Life Solutions (India) Ltd.

Thanks in advance,
Pallavi
Old 20th December 2009, 06:16   #636
BHPian

Hi Pallavi,

Our Hitachi 438 Litre refrigerator is 2 years old now and it is a superbly designed piece of equipment. It was the only brand which came in the capacity that we wanted which fit into the place assigned to the refrigerator in our kitchen. This is because of the thickness of its walls compared to the other brands in the market.

The freezer in the bottom drawer is also a big plus. It's very easy to clean as you can take it out completely from the main unit and wash it outside.

It's a little pricy compared to the other models but I have not regretted it one bit. It's a good investment and it's made in Japan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pallavi View Post
Hi,

We are planning to change our 5-year old refrigerator (Godrej). We find ice in the crisper and water in the deep freezer

Please suggest a good brand/model in 300lts range. I checked Hitachi website and found this model to be good: 3 Door Refrigerator: Hitachi Home & Life Solutions (India) Ltd.

Thanks in advance,
Pallavi
Old 20th December 2009, 12:27   #637
BHPian

Hi Sharath,

Thanks for the info. How is the service of Hitachi? Do they have service centres in Bangalore? Did you ever had to use it?

-Pallavi
Old 20th December 2009, 20:48   #638
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Sharath,

Thanks for the info. How is the service of Hitachi? Do they have service centres in Bangalore? Did you ever had to use it?

-Pallavi
Yes, they do have service center's in bangalore. I mean, it is not the company owned service center's, but they have outsourced the same to third party companies.
Old 21st December 2009, 00:26   #639
BHPian

I was told that they do. However, I am not expecting any issue for a long time hopefully.
Service Center Locator: Hitachi Home & Life Solutions (India) Ltd.

Quote:
Hi Sharath,

-Pallavi
Old 21st December 2009, 12:45   #640
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Yes, they do have service center's in bangalore. I mean, it is not the company owned service center's, but they have outsourced the same to third party companies.
Thanks for the info. Any idea how their service is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharathjeppu View Post
I was told that they do. However, I am not expecting any issue for a long time hopefully.
I am hoping the same but want to be prepared if & when the need arises

Hitachi is one brand which we shortlisted. Please suggest if there are any other good brands/models which we should consider.

-Pallavi
Old 21st December 2009, 14:19   #641
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
How come copper has better heat retention? Isn't that simply a function of the insulation?
Old 21st December 2009, 15:00   #642
Senior - BHPian

Copper is amongst the best conductors of heat! So in fact, the heat retention property will be low.
Old 21st December 2009, 15:25   #643
BANNED

Copper tanks permit better uniform heating.

IMHO, go in for one with a large capacity; hot water will stay hot for even couple of days with the present day PUFinsulation.

All heaters use PUF insulation, and are, IMHO equally placed, therefore, heaters are almost a commodity from my POV.

I use a venus 20 L one.

If you are living in a flat / high rise building, or use a pressure booster in the water circuit to your bathroom, ability to withstand high pressure inlets and a "no return valve" to prevent cold water from the mixer getting into the tank through the (heater's) outlet.
Old 21st December 2009, 16:15   #644
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharathjeppu View Post
We had several "cartridge" (installed in a suspended ceiling) units in my office. The computer room unit was on 24/7. By the time it gave trouble, it was big trouble, as the unit was already over ten years old, and it was hard to find the parts! Ten years: not bad!
Old 22nd December 2009, 12:04   #645
Team-BHP Support

How important is inbuilt heater for washing machines. I have seen that you can get a good fully automatic without inbuilt heater for 5000rs less.
In Delhi water temp goes down to 15 degrees in winters. Is it too cold to wash clothes in that chilly water?
We are thinking of a new LG/Whirpool automatic(buying within next 1-2 days). Earlier IFB and Samsung were also in contention, but service centers of both leave a lot to be desired(In Noida).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks