Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2009, 09:39   #661
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
I have the following electrical/electronic stuff in my house.
Please advise as to which all of these do I need to service regularly & how regularly.

- Washer
- Tumble Dryer
- 2 TVs
- 2 DVD Players
- Dish
- Microwave
- Invertor
- Laptop
- Desktop
- Air Cooler
- Room Heater
- 2 Cell phones
- 2 Geysers
- Few tubelights
- Few Fans
- Pressing Iron
- Digital Camera
- Electric Shaver
- 2 Goodknight Liquid Machines
- HSBC Number Generator
- Torch

I may have missed a few things, not sure.
Dear Carboy,

Pallavi gave you a suggestion, if you don't agree with her don't follow her advice; why being sarcastic?

I agree with her; servicing might be beneficial for electric/electronic appliances. I for one get my ACs serviced every year; water purifier every six month, de-scale my steam iron every year and such.

Nitin
Old 23rd December 2009, 15:44   #662
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Please advise as to which all of these do I need to service regularly & how regularly.

- Washer
- Tumble Dryer
- 2 TVs
- 2 DVD Players
That was too good. It auto-initiated my laughing program sequence for 60 seconds.

But now I'm gonna get nightmares of an era in which washing machines will need oil changes, coolant top ups, leg alignment and what not...

Last edited by Raccoon : 23rd December 2009 at 15:46.
Old 23rd December 2009, 17:42   #663
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

- Washer
- Tumble Dryer
- 2 TVs
- 2 DVD Players
- Dish
- Microwave
- Invertor
- Laptop
- Desktop
- Air Cooler
- Room Heater
- 2 Cell phones
- 2 Geysers
- Few tubelights
- Few Fans
- Pressing Iron
- Digital Camera
- Electric Shaver
- HSBC Number Generator
- Torch

If not all but few of the household appliance do require service/ preventive maintenance.

- Microwave- Occasional dusting of the exhaust vents once in 3-4 yrs. Our old (10 yrs) Sanyo Microwave stopped working as the magnetron was over heating due to poor ventilation . I cleaned it and now its fully functional now.

- Invertor- Battery water level checks & contacts to be checked once in 6 months.

- Laptop – Depends on usage, disk defragmentation etc. Battery calibration etc once in a while.

- Few Fans – Bearings to be lubricated at-least once in 5 yrs.
Old 23rd December 2009, 17:56   #664
BHPian

@pragya,@Pallavi,

Can you please let me know the EF model you are using?
Old 23rd December 2009, 17:57   #665
Senior - BHPian

^^^ I thought we were talking about requiring a technician for regular "servicing". All the above jobs are owner serviceable. That way, even the lint filter in my washing machine needs cleaning once a week or so... it is a 30 second no-brainer job.
Old 23rd December 2009, 18:03   #666
Senior - BHPian

Regarding Vacuum Cleaners, I have a Mighty Vac from Eureka Forbes since November, 1990. Yes, it is 19 years old. No trouble so far.

But in July this year, the main hose pipe was cracked---possibly chewed by rats. It took me 2 months to get a replacement, and that too of a different colour. It cost me Rs 700 (I'd paid Rs 3400 for the vac cleaner).

So I don't know whether to brand them as good or bad.
Old 23rd December 2009, 21:07   #667
BANNED

@tsk; heater is a good thing to have in a Washing machine. COnsider the "heavy" laundry like jeans, blankets and pillow covers, which can get realy dirty / oily or both. And also for house holds with small kids (bed wetting).

Hot water is a must to get rid of nasty stink. ;-)

sj123 - go in for a front loader, if you can. It requires continuous flow of water (if you have an over head tank). It is more economical to own and run - requires whole lot less water and power.

Front loaders requires permanent plumbing, a solid and level floor mounted installation, and is not easy to move around in case you are moving houses.

Top loaders can be pleased anywhere near a tap, and the out let pipe can be pointed to a drain.

I have owned both top loader (Godrej) and front loader (IFB). Between the two, I recommend the front loader; and going by the feed back I am seeing both on this forum and outside, IFB is nto what it used to be.
Old 23rd December 2009, 23:02   #668
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
How important is inbuilt heater for washing machines. I have seen that you can get a good fully automatic without inbuilt heater for 5000rs less.
In Delhi water temp goes down to 15 degrees in winters. Is it too cold to wash clothes in that chilly water?
We are thinking of a new LG/Whirpool automatic(buying within next 1-2 days). Earlier IFB and Samsung were also in contention, but service centers of both leave a lot to be desired(In Noida).
Been using a Whirlpool White Magic front loader for over 6 years now. Needed service just once when a pipe inside cracked. Must say their service and response time is excellent. And yes, the machine has a built-in water heater with temp control, and my wife swears by it! For a top-loader, one can add hot water from a bucket - can't have that for a front loader which needs constant running water (unless you attach a geyser to the water line - but then the cost works out much the same).

Nope, washing in cold water in Delhi winters just doesn't work!
Old 24th December 2009, 09:09   #669
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pallavi View Post
Hitachi is one brand which we shortlisted. Please suggest if there are any other good brands/models which we should consider.

-Pallavi
Other good choices available are Panasonic, Sharp and Siemens

Replacing Whirlpool, we bought Panasonic around 7 months back for it's design benifit over other brands mentioned here. (kept out Korean and American brands)

Panasonic - the freezer section is in the bottom, so the vegetable section comes to centre at waist height having 2 vegetable trays, it is no secret that indian kitchen has maximum interaction with the vegatble section and in this case, not only needs less bending over but also easy to clean. (Haer also has similar deign but Chinese brand was out of scope), we have been quite happy with Panasonic, just that probably shd has gone for thier a little more higher end model <inverter series> which is thier top of line. btw, we bought 340 lt. for approx 24K, I am not sure how expensive it is over other brand as we did not even bother checking. but amongst the list below, I wld say Panasonic wld be the best priced.

if design is not a constraint then here is my order of preference, they are all available in india and have websites as well

1. Siemens
2. Hitachi
3. Sharp
4. Panasonic

Thanks
Anupam

Last edited by Anupam : 24th December 2009 at 09:18.
Old 24th December 2009, 19:31   #670
BHPian

I get your sarcasm here. To each his own. Have fun.

-Pallavi

Quote:

- Washer
- Tumble Dryer
- 2 TVs
- 2 DVD Players
- Dish
- Microwave
- Invertor
- Laptop
- Desktop
- Air Cooler
- Room Heater
- 2 Cell phones
- 2 Geysers
- Few tubelights
- Few Fans
- Pressing Iron
- Digital Camera
- Electric Shaver
- HSBC Number Generator
- Torch

Dear Raccoon,

I fail to see what you are trying to say since a long time. I said these are done by the technician as part of the regular service. Checking out the noise level of the washing machine and the alignment are best left to the professionals. And if he is cleaning the lint collector as part of the service, i am not going to stop him saying, "hey, this is a 30 sec no-brainer job, please let me do it"

-Pallavi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
^^^ I thought we were talking about requiring a technician for regular "servicing". All the above jobs are owner serviceable. That way, even the lint filter in my washing machine needs cleaning once a week or so... it is a 30 second no-brainer job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser_1982 View Post
@pragya,@Pallavi,

Can you please let me know the EF model you are using?
Hi Cruiser,
The vaccum cleaner model is Trendy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anupam View Post
Other good choices available are Panasonic, Sharp and Siemens

=====================
if design is not a constraint then here is my order of preference, they are all available in india and have websites as well

1. Siemens
2. Hitachi
3. Sharp
4. Panasonic

Thanks
Anupam
Hi Anupam,

Thanks for the details. I will check out Panasonic and Siemens also.

-Pallavi

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 20 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by Technocrat : 24th December 2009 at 20:18. Reason: Please read the note in your post, thanks
Old 25th December 2009, 17:51   #671
Senior - BHPian

How is Eureka Forbes Euroclean ACE ,Vacum cleaner? costs around 7.5 k .
Old 9th January 2010, 14:55   #672
Senior - BHPian

My friend is starting a "new" life and needs following appliances. But very tight on budget due to his recent car purchase.

Total number of people in the household = 2 :-) (occasional visitors - once in 1-2 months)

Budget:
Refrigerator (2 door) - 10K
Washing machine - top loading - 10K

Could you please suggest some brand/model?

He also needs other common appliances Television(15K), microwave, blah blah..
We have lots of appliance stores in Bangalore like e-home, Girias, Pai, Viveks etc. Which is the best one?
Old 10th January 2010, 13:55   #673
BHPian

Hi Latheesh,

When we were looking to purchase the washing machine, Girias (near Domlur flyover) gave us the best deal. The sales man was reasonably informed about the product. Next best deal was at ezone, Koramangala.

-Pallavi
Old 10th January 2010, 14:23   #674
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Budget:
Refrigerator (2 door) - 10K
Washing machine - top loading - 10K
Refrigerator - go Godrej
Washing Machine - nothing to beat ONIDA for durability

check compareindia.com for some ideas
Old 10th January 2010, 15:59   #675
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Pallavi and vigsom

ONIDA washing machine!! never seen one, will ask my friend to check it. Planning to make a visit to Girias tommorrow.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks