Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2010, 11:11   #706
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Ultra table top is good

Have been using it for the last 7 years and no issues. Cant comment about service since haven't experienced it. If possible, avoid Butterfly.
Old 18th January 2010, 13:01   #707
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
Guys, need help

My better half got hooked to south indian food and wants me to get hold of a wet grinder for her.

Help me guys

Wet grinders are generally little bulky and will take up good amount of space on your kitchen counter. Being pretty heavy, moving them around will be little difficult. So unless you will be using it quite substantially (say once every week), may I recommend using a food processor to make the idli/dosa batter.

The results are almost the same (as per s/i cooking experts).

Regards,
Old 18th January 2010, 13:11   #708
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohit View Post
So unless you will be using it quite substantially (say once every week), Regards,
Usage will be atleast once a week Mohit. Yes, they do occupy space, but I have more space to spare for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8002? View Post
Have been using it for the last 7 years and no issues. Cant comment about service since haven't experienced it. If possible, avoid Butterfly.
After talking to a couple of friends in office, I hear ULTRA is a better choice. But man, it costs me 6K for a 2kg one, more than 50% cost compared to other brands. Keeping all options open now.

Thanks a ton for the replies
Old 18th January 2010, 16:11   #709
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8002? View Post
If possible, avoid Butterfly.
Why so? We have a Butterfly 3-stone (conical) wet grinder since last 4 years. No problem till date and it grinds much faster than Ultra wet grinder with cylindrical stones.

@amohit: the batter from the food processors doesnt result in fulffy idlys

@lambuhere1: Keeping away from the brands war, I would suggest, go for a wet-grinder with 3-stones(conical).

-Pallavi

Last edited by Pallavi : 18th January 2010 at 16:14.
Old 19th January 2010, 11:32   #710
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pallavi View Post
Why so? We have a Butterfly 3-stone (conical) wet grinder since last 4 years. No problem till date and it grinds much faster than Ultra wet grinder with cylindrical stones.

@amohit: the batter from the food processors doesnt result in fulffy idlys

@lambuhere1: Keeping away from the brands war, I would suggest, go for a wet-grinder with 3-stones(conical).

-Pallavi
We have a butterfly mixer and wet grider at my parent's place and the performance ( in terms of time taken ) is pathetic. Even the service was poor in the sense they said that this is how the performance will be.

Ultra model i have also uses conical stones.

Last edited by m8002? : 19th January 2010 at 11:34.
Old 19th January 2010, 12:04   #711
BHPian

@pallavi, Thanks a lot for your inputs

@m8002 Thanks for sharing your experience. Ultra which I have seen has cylindrical stones , 2kg capacity

Iam yet to decide on the choice of options we have in here. Will keep you posted on the same.
Old 19th January 2010, 15:30   #712
Senior - BHPian

Recently purchased LG top loading WF-T7519JG, for Rs 14K, this machine carries a warranty for 2 years.
There is an option for opting for extended warranty of additional 2 years by paying extra Rs2500/-

Wanted to know from your experience that should I go ahead for this extended warranty scheme. I am quite confused.
Old 19th January 2010, 15:46   #713
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj123 View Post
Recently purchased LG top loading WF-T7519JG, for Rs 14K, this machine carries a warranty for 2 years.
There is an option for opting for extended warranty of additional 2 years by paying extra Rs2500/-

Wanted to know from your experience that should I go ahead for this extended warranty scheme. I am quite confused.
In general, I think extended warranty schemes for home appliance/electronics is a waste of money.

Assume you are buying 5 home appliances - each costing 10K each.
Assume you buy 5 extended warranties each costing 2K each.
So totally you have paid 60K(5*10K + 5*2K).

I would assume that maximum of one of out those 5 appliance would have a disastrous expensive failure in 4 years - most of the time, not even one.
If more than one of the 5 fail in 4 years, either you have been very unlucky or you are buying crappy stuff.

So instead of paying 10k for 5 extended warranties, put that money in a FD. If one of the 5 fail badly in 4 years, you have 10K+ with you for replacing it.

Unless it worked this way, companies wouldn't be selling extended warranties because it would then be a loss-maker for them. OTOH, extended warranties are very profitable for companies because most stuff don't fail badly in 4 years time.

Last edited by carboy : 19th January 2010 at 15:48.
Old 19th January 2010, 17:33   #714
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
In general, I think extended warranty schemes for home appliance/electronics is a waste of money.

Assume you are buying 5 home appliances - each costing 10K each.
Assume you buy 5 extended warranties each costing 2K each.
So totally you have paid 60K(5*10K + 5*2K).

I would assume that maximum of one of out those 5 appliance would have a disastrous expensive failure in 4 years - most of the time, not even one.
If more than one of the 5 fail in 4 years, either you have been very unlucky or you are buying crappy stuff.

So instead of paying 10k for 5 extended warranties, put that money in a FD. If one of the 5 fail badly in 4 years, you have 10K+ with you for replacing it.

Unless it worked this way, companies wouldn't be selling extended warranties because it would then be a loss-maker for them. OTOH, extended warranties are very profitable for companies because most stuff don't fail badly in 4 years time.
Agreed to your point that a company must be having some degree of confidence in there product that's why they are up-selling extended warranty packages. Usually I have seen that LG maintains a level of Quality in there products. I have not seen any adverse comments related to LG washing machines on net.

I also feel that this machine is quite tough & might not break down in 4 years time. Any ways I am covered for 2 years.

Last edited by tj123 : 19th January 2010 at 17:34. Reason: Typo
Old 19th January 2010, 17:49   #715
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Convestion/Microwave Combo: Do you need it?

If baking, roasting and oven cooking in general is usual for you, or you want to try it, then go for it. If you just want to use the microwave for re-heating and steaming, etc, then it is a waste of money.

Consider the needs before shopping!
I always thought that an oven was not very useful. 95% of Indian homes have no need for an oven.

Then we got a Kaff cooking range on the insistence of my master. This one has a gas oven:

The Home Appliance thread-klg601.jpg

So now we (read: She) bake Muffins, cupcakes, cheesecake, Marmorkuchen (marble cake) and we also do (read: me) some really super baked food including Lasagne.
This also has a rotisserie, but we have not used it yet.

You know what, you can get all the mixed grill type little ovens and convection/microwave combos all you want. Ain't nothing like a real honest to goodness oven.

If you want to bake, don't compromise. Get a real oven.
Old 19th January 2010, 18:48   #716
Distinguished - BHPian

We have Kaff built-in hob and oven/grill. I use the oven for my regular roast chickens. It has a rotisserie too, but I haven't used it either; I don't know if it would do anything better, but I'm happy to roast my meat in a dish.

I use the grill mostly for cheese on toast.

Our oven/grill is electric. How do you find the gas consumption?

Oh, and if your lady ever needs a "holiday" she can come and do some cooking for me!!! It does sound as if you are in considerable danger of putting on weight*

*if that happens, we'll make it fair: Mrs G can come and feed you on her yogic fruits and vegetables diet!

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 19th January 2010 at 18:49.
Old 19th January 2010, 21:31   #717
BHPian

I am on a lookout for a new Washin Machine. Preferred brand is IFB.

I checked at Chroma and they had some washers + dryer models from LG though on the expensive side.

Are they actually worth going for because Delhi gets good sun most of the times.
Old 19th January 2010, 23:59   #718
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderNomad View Post
Don't go for IFB. If you read a few of the previous posts, I wanted to go for an IFB Microwave but a quick Google search and a query in this thread advising me against it owing to terrible customer service put me against it.

So we went for a LG one, and we're doing just fine with it.
Old 20th January 2010, 01:19   #719
BHPian

I still strongly feel that IFB rules in washim machines though when it comes to service LG is the best. Food for thought!
Old 20th January 2010, 09:06   #720
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderNomad View Post

I checked at Chroma and they had some washers + dryer models from LG though on the expensive side.

Are they actually worth going for because Delhi gets good sun most of the times.
I am using LG 7Kg front loaded WM for the last 5 years. No issues till date. Service is prompt at the time of delivery. IFB, heard a lot of horror stories. It was good earlier, but now I will not recommend personally.

Recently, my friend brought a 5kg LG front loaded WM and hes happy with his decision

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks