Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2010, 15:01   #811
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Wow! My knowledge is now complete. I am ready for my jaap in the himalayas.

Somehow I am not at luxury for a double connection. Thanks ! Anyone else ?
Your knowledge is still not complete. You don't need separate connections for two cylinders. You normally get two cylinders in a single connection. And people usually manage in the way, archat68 mentioned.

\N
Old 23rd February 2010, 15:23   #812
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer View Post
Your knowledge is still not complete. You don't need separate connections for two cylinders. You normally get two cylinders in a single connection. And people usually manage in the way, archat68 mentioned.

\N
Exactly.This is called DBC (Double Bottle Cylinder) connection in which you get two cylinders in one connection.You just have to pay the extra security amount for the second cylinder to change from your existing single cylinder connection.
Old 23rd February 2010, 15:33   #813
Distinguished - BHPian

There is one very simple way to know if your cylinder is nearly empty: weigh it!
Old 23rd February 2010, 15:41   #814
Senior - BHPian

Yes small weighing machine is a good idea, keep your cylinder on it. Once it reaches close to empty cylinder weight change it!! :-)

Never thought about it, dont know how people manage.
Old 23rd February 2010, 15:46   #815
Senior - BHPian

Yes we can get 2 cylinders on one connection.

Btw This is not a sure shot way but in earlier days one could see yellow flames when the cylinder is about to get empty. We too have observed that the cylinder usually gets empty roughly a week or two after we see the yellow flames.
Old 23rd February 2010, 15:55   #816
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer View Post
Guys, ideally this is the scenario where we have 2 cylinders with the same connection. However, i also go through the same issue with Pervez faces. in my case, i have applied for an extra cylinder with my connection, but its been about a year and a half and possibly more since i applied, but i havent received a spare cylinder!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Yes we can get 2 cylinders on one connection.

Btw This is not a sure shot way but in earlier days one could see yellow flames when the cylinder is about to get empty. We too have observed that the cylinder usually gets empty roughly a week or two after we see the yellow flames.
In the cooking stove we use, the combustion is not complete, and so we see yellow flames pretty much most of the time. However, the approach you mentioned is what my parents followed at home. Kinda gave an idea of when the cylinder is nearly empty.
Old 23rd February 2010, 16:02   #817
Team-BHP Support

Prince one stupid question.

How does it help if you know the cylinder is going to get empty.
Even if you know the exact date and time.
Will you order in a new cylinder and give up your not (completely) empty cylinder.

Best is to get the second cylinder thing done. It really helps.

My wife prefers baking over other methods of cooking.
Hence the gas cylinder lasts on an average 3 - 4 months.

Inspite of that such low usage, we have 2 cylinders at home.

One alternative is to buy a small gas cylinder as backup.

The Home Appliance thread-kabuchi.jpg

They are available in most cities and the refill is done without any waiting/ booking etc.
Of course the cost of lpg is not subsidized and hence it higher.

PS: Pic taken from the Eating Out thread for Hyderabad.

Last edited by bblost : 23rd February 2010 at 16:13.
Old 23rd February 2010, 16:40   #818
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
One alternative is to buy a small gas cylinder as backup.

Attachment 294117

They are available in most cities and the refill is done without any waiting/ booking etc.
Of course the cost of lpg is not subsidized and hence it higher.
These 5 Kg cylinders are now available through the regular LPG dealers & I think, these are subsidized too.
Old 23rd February 2010, 17:37   #819
BHPian

The very first time I got my gas connection, it was a two cylinder one. It was in 1990 when the first agency started in Mananthavady in Wayanad. Though a ration card was mandatory then, managed to get the connection. But even now, with uncertain supply there are times when both become empty despite timely booking and a resultant frustrated wife as mentioned by somebody earlier. So got a bigger Spic Jyothy cylinder for emergencies. And yes, the yellow flame is a helpful warning. (though not always)
Old 23rd February 2010, 20:09   #820
BHPian

To manage without a backup cylinder is nightmare.
In Kolkata, BharatGas from Bharat Petroleum has very good and prompt service. I took a new connection from them in Delhi in the year 2000 - they instantly gave me a new connection with two cylinders. Again when when I was transferred to Kolkata a few years ago I again took the connection from them (old connection was submitted at Delhi). Till date very satisfied - my cylinder reaches my home within two days of booking when my neighbour has to face 15 days of waiting after booking with Indane (Indian Oil).
Old 23rd February 2010, 23:39   #821
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
Till date very satisfied - my cylinder reaches my home within two days of booking when my neighbour has to face 15 days of waiting after booking with Indane (Indian Oil).
The minimum waiting period here nowadays is 21 days and we are fortunate if we get it within 30 days! (There were occasions when we got on the 21st day.)
Old 24th February 2010, 19:42   #822
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Off topic:

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitha View Post
The minimum waiting period here nowadays is 21 days and we are fortunate if we get it within 30 days! (There were occasions when we got on the 21st day.)
One of the numerous unions in the bottling / transport / dealer level take turns to go on a strike causing delays.

Then it is much more lucrative to palm off the subsidised cylinder to a commercial connection / vehicle owner than to you me or any household!

I have a commercial gas connection and there is absolutely no shortage / delay for cylinders. Literally the refill comes in 5 minutes! The cost right now is Rs 1000 for a 17kg cylinder, but it had gone to Rs 525 when fuel prices hit bottom.

Last edited by trrk : 24th February 2010 at 19:44.
Old 24th February 2010, 20:36   #823
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi,

Off topic:

One of the numerous unions in the bottling / transport / dealer level take turns to go on a strike causing delays.

Then it is much more lucrative to palm off the subsidised cylinder to a commercial connection / vehicle owner than to you me or any household!

I have a commercial gas connection and there is absolutely no shortage / delay for cylinders. Literally the refill comes in 5 minutes! The cost right now is Rs 1000 for a 17kg cylinder, but it had gone to Rs 525 when fuel prices hit bottom.
True. And I know personally know that majority of the stock illegally goes to Hotels and Vehicles, just like almost whole of the PDS kerosene meant for the BPL going to the petrol pumps! I too got my 17Kg Spic Jyothy for Rs.900/- but it is expected to last about one year. (emergency use only)
Old 24th February 2010, 20:53   #824
BANNED

Some years back, wife was transferred to a remote place; we were not prepared for such a sudden transfer. We had to take an LPG connection, and had to approach the local "agent" of the dealer. The nearest dealer was 5 KM away, and with no means of personal transport (the car was another 3 years away), we had no option. Got a single cyl. connection immediately. That was in 2005 or 2006.

Refills would come in within 1 or 2 days, and were wondering how this was possible. We of course, paid a 30-50 Rs premium, but that was cheaper than the rick cost (both would not be available at the house during working hours).

While coming back, we approached the dealer direct fro surrender and transfer of the connection. We gave back the cylinder and regulator, and the dealer looked at us and asked "saar, where is the other cylinder"? THe jigsaw suddenly fell into place, and the offfending agent was brought to book. Though we paid extra for the free extra cylinder, we were happy - we got a 2nd cylinder without any hassles.
Old 26th February 2010, 12:16   #825
BANNED

Mocrowave - what features and capacity?

I have been going through the posts here on usefulness and otherwise of a microwave, and I gather that it is good for cooking / heating / steaming things. To make curry, you need different things.

We are a pure veg household here. Here, most things are cooked in a pressure cooker and then put into a pan and heated again with masala / oil or watever. So, I guess that the M/@ will take over the role of the pressure cooker here. Am I right in my understanding?

2. How do I decide the capacity? How big should it be?

3. We do not do any baking anyway (not that we are averse to baking and eggs, etc., just that we find it more convenient to have non-veg and baked food from outside). :-D So, a plain m/w without any grill or whatever frills will do?

Any features to look for?

Recall reading something about a "turret" or turntable or something. Any comments?

Thanks in advance.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks