Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2010, 14:01   #916
BANNED

Question about Gas Stoves. I have an LPG stove which I have been using for 4-5 years with no problem. It's a Pigeon 3 burner with auto-ignition. Now I want to use it with Mahanagar Piped Gas. 2 Mahanagar authorised gas mechanics I talked to gave me 2 different opinions
- one said LPG to CNG conversion usually isn't successfull for auto-ignition models & better to buy a new Mahanager CNG stove from him.
- 2nd guy said he can convert it fully for 900 Rs.

Anyone done a conversion in a auto-ignition model?
Old 11th May 2010, 16:23   #917
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamhegde View Post
We use at home. No issues so far. If it is possible, keep the gas cyclinder outside the bathroom. Also safe to have good ventilation for the room.

I do not remember the brand we use (Suraksha or so I guess). No problems so far. Only changing the battery cells for ignition is required once in 3-4 months.
Please be careful while using gas geysers. It is better to keep the cylinder outside the bathroom and ventilation is a must.

A few months back, a friend of mine passed away due to inhalation of gas fumes from the gas geyser. There was no ventilation in his bathroom and this guy did not wait for a few minutes for the fumes to clear before he went for his bath (he usually did, but for that day).
Old 11th May 2010, 22:21   #918
BHPian

Yeah. One of the gases emitted by gas geysers is Carbon Monoxide. It binds to haemoglobin in your blood very strongly, preventing the flow of oxygen, effectively choking you.
Old 11th May 2010, 22:49   #919
Distinguished - BHPian

Microwave + Oven

Had been planning to buy a regular conventional run-of-the-mill oven, but was also postponing it and trying to convince milady to go for a new microwave. Now that our 10+ -year-old microwave is sending out signals about wanting to retire, I thought it may not be a bad idea to kill 2 birds with one stone - get something which is both a conventional oven and a microwave.

Anybody here who uses these? Would be grateful for your feedback, esp. if you are a cooking / baking enthusiast. One worry I have is, does it bake as good as a conventional oven?

a perfect combination of convection, grill, microwave and conventional oven CQ155 - Smart Oven - Smart Oven | SAMSUNG

LG SolarDOM Microwave Oven (ML 3483FRR) with Silver Color Exterior Body For Cooking & Baking
Old 12th May 2010, 00:15   #920
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
A few months back, a friend of mine passed away due to inhalation of gas fumes from the gas geyser. There was no ventilation in his bathroom and this guy did not wait for a few minutes for the fumes to clear before he went for his bath (he usually did, but for that day).
Quote:
Originally Posted by anku94 View Post
Yeah. One of the gases emitted by gas geysers is Carbon Monoxide. It binds to haemoglobin in your blood very strongly, preventing the flow of oxygen, effectively choking you.
Carbon monoxide is deadly. Running the car in a closed garage, or with a tube feeding the fumes into the car is a common suicide method in my country. Accidental deaths because of badly ventilated or unserviced gas heaters also used to be common, but they are very controlled by safety laws.

It is not so much that it chokes you, but it suffocates you by preventing oxygen reaching your tissues. Very very deadly.
Old 12th May 2010, 01:59   #921
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
It is not so much that it chokes you, but it suffocates you by preventing oxygen reaching your tissues. Very very deadly.
Oops, misworded. That's what I meant. Thanks for correcting.
Old 12th May 2010, 08:48   #922
BHPian

Can u plz give me personal experiences for Induction cooker ?
Which brand is good (perstige,Jaipan etc)? plz advice
Old 12th May 2010, 09:41   #923
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvg View Post
Can u plz give me personal experiences for Induction cooker ?
Which brand is good (perstige,Jaipan etc)? plz advice
I was also looking for this sometime. And initial feedback on Prestige wsa very bad. Many complaints say that it cracks on heating. I was hoping they will be a better brand.

Same feedback for piegeons as well.

What is this jaipan? Haven't heard so far
Old 12th May 2010, 10:44   #924
BANNED

Thanks for the feed back on gas / LPG water heaters. I have dropped the idea. Instead, I will be cooking one up - a jugaad job.

The idea to get a tap fitted on a stainless vessel (like those you see with the tea vendors on trains), and connect the vessel to plumbing. The vessel will be kept on a normal single burner LPG stove outside the bathroom.

The bathroom in question is not attached to a bedroom. What is important is saving on an electricity bill which goes up 250 to 300% with electric heaters, and solar heaters are out of question since there are plenty of trees around the house, and we do not want to cut them. Solar heaters will not be effective during rainy season anyway, and that is when we want hot water in any case.
Old 12th May 2010, 11:45   #925
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Thanks for the feed back on gas / LPG water heaters. I have dropped the idea. Instead, I will be cooking one up - a jugaad job.

The idea to get a tap fitted on a stainless vessel (like those you see with the tea vendors on trains), and connect the vessel to plumbing. The vessel will be kept on a normal single burner LPG stove outside the bathroom.

The bathroom in question is not attached to a bedroom. What is important is saving on an electricity bill which goes up 250 to 300% with electric heaters, and solar heaters are out of question since there are plenty of trees around the house, and we do not want to cut them. Solar heaters will not be effective during rainy season anyway, and that is when we want hot water in any case.
If this a temporary requirement, jugaad should be okay, for that fun it adds with DIY alongwith money saved.
If it is a long term (like few months or more) requirement, suggest a good heater. It gives more functions like auto ignition, controlling flame/water (thus water temperature) and also are more efficient in the job.
Old 12th May 2010, 11:57   #926
BANNED

Modular Kitchen Vendors.
I am looking at vendors for getting modular kitchen cabinets & trolleys.
Looked at 2 people - BP Techno in Sion & Sleek Kitchen in Mulund.
If anyone has any experience with either in terms of quality, price & service, do let me know. Also if you have any other recommendations.
Old 12th May 2010, 12:17   #927
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Had been planning to buy a regular conventional run-of-the-mill oven, but was also postponing it and trying to convince milady to go for a new microwave. Now that our 10+ -year-old microwave is sending out signals about wanting to retire, I thought it may not be a bad idea to kill 2 birds with one stone - get something which is both a conventional oven and a microwave.

Anybody here who uses these? Would be grateful for your feedback, esp. if you are a cooking / baking enthusiast. One worry I have is, does it bake as good as a conventional oven?

a perfect combination of convection, grill, microwave and conventional oven CQ155 - Smart Oven - Smart Oven | SAMSUNG

LG SolarDOM Microwave Oven (ML 3483FRR) with Silver Color Exterior Body For Cooking & Baking
I have an LG one with rotary grill. It bakes perfectly well but grilling time is like "birbal ki khichdi".

I would suggest buy a Microwave and OTG separately.
Old 12th May 2010, 13:12   #928
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamhegde View Post
It gives more functions like auto ignition, controlling flame/water (thus water temperature) and also are more efficient in the job.

Fine, but the reason I asked in the first place, was that only Chinese make heaters are available around here. Normal LPG combustion, like in the kitchen ought not to emit carbon monoxide; but the incidents like the ones reported here (and I did see some reports, mostly from B'lore on the net) means even combustion is not proper.

Secondly, unlike electric heaters, LPG gyesers would require some kind of forced circulation to enable it to store hot water. Because electric gyesers have the heaing element inside the insulated chamber, LPG heaters cannot be designed that way.

I would prefer a proper LPG heater, if a good one is availab.e
Old 12th May 2010, 13:28   #929
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Fine, but the reason I asked in the first place, was that only Chinese make heaters are available around here. Normal LPG combustion, like in the kitchen ought not to emit carbon monoxide; but the incidents like the ones reported here (and I did see some reports, mostly from B'lore on the net) means even combustion is not proper.

Secondly, unlike electric heaters, LPG gyesers would require some kind of forced circulation to enable it to store hot water. Because electric gyesers have the heaing element inside the insulated chamber, LPG heaters cannot be designed that way.

I would prefer a proper LPG heater, if a good one is availab.e
Not sure what is the emission of Kitchen stoves, must be CO or CO2 ? I doubt if there is a difference in the way water heater and kitchen stove burn the gas.

Gas water heater need not store hot water and no forced circulation is needed. It ignites when the tap is opened and water just flows throu it. Water is normally hot enough for the purpose.
Old 12th May 2010, 22:16   #930
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
I have an LG one with rotary grill. It bakes perfectly well but grilling time is like "birbal ki khichdi".
I suppose by that you mean that the browning effect takes too long (even though the food might have cooked on the inside)? Going by tech specs, the LG has a 2100W grill. The Samsung CQ1570L (http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/co...015H_EN-01.pdf), though a lot more expensive, has a top 2800W grill and a 1000W heater below. I wonder if that would be sufficient.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
I would suggest buy a Microwave and OTG separately.
Space is a problem in the kitchen, and we would much prefer it if one unit does the job of two despite a higher cost. Apart from that, I don't see why we shouldn't buy two units.

Of course, I'd prefer an OTG with a rotisserie.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks