Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2010, 15:27   #946
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
IFB wants 2.1K as AMC for my 5 year old washing maching, which according to them will fetch between 1.5 and 2 K as exchange. So, it will go out when it breaks down next time.
Why does anyone need an AMC on appliances like washing machines where you don't require any regular oil/filter change or stuff like that?
Why not just pay for the repair as & when something goes wrong?

Yeah, sure if you have a huge problem, you will end up facing a huge bill.
However, consider you have 5 diff appliances each being used for 5 years after the warranty has expired.
You pay say 1.5 K per appliance per year for 5 years for AMCs. You have ended up paying 37.5 K for all the AMCs. Assuming even all of them breakdown with major repairs once during the 5 years, you probably have barely broken even.

I have an LG fridge for 5 years without AMC - till now spent 250 Rs on all maintenance calls.
I have a Haeir Fridge for 5 years without AMC - till now spent total of Rs. 1000 on it.
I have a Haeir Dryer for 5 years without AMC - till now spent total of Rs. 1000 on it.
I have a LG TV for 5 years without AMC - till now spent total of Rs. 250 on it.

That's a sum total of Rs. 2500.

If I had got an AMC for each of these appliances for the 4 years after the warranty expired, I am pretty sure I would have spent far far more.

The only thing I got an AMC for is my Aquaguard because it requires routine service twice a year & the AMC cost was 10% more than the cost of 1 service.
Old 20th May 2010, 19:13   #947
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Why does anyone need an AMC on appliances like washing machines where you don't require any regular oil/filter change or stuff like that?
Most people use lemon flavoured soap / powers for washing. But I wash my clothes inside one.

This particular thing broke down 3 or 4 times during the warranty period itself. The door was replaced in first week itself. At that time, service was prompt; any call was attended to within 4 working hours. Replacement would happen same day - at most, major parts like motor (replaced under warranty) would fetched from the local office same day by the service technician.

Now, they do some kind of experiments - replace part X, if that is not fixed, replace part Y, then replace part Z, etc. And each time, parts have to come from some other place (Delhi, Goa, etc). Last break down took 4 visits, 12 days, and 1.4K worth parts not covered by the AMC. Some circuitry and "shock absorbers" were replaced under the AMC.
Old 20th May 2010, 19:26   #948
Senior - BHPian

^^^VERY well put! I don't like this AMC idea at all. I feel its like it is incentive for a company to produce a shabby product and then actually profit from it! First do your homework and only buy products that are known to last and then leave it to luck. We have a very old Videocon top-loading washing machine which still performs like new. Its well over a decade old. The only time it has needed a service call when rats decided to attack it plus the filter needed changing couple of times. Very reluctant to replace it after going thru all the washing machine woes in this thread... lol!
Old 20th May 2010, 23:38   #949
Senior - BHPian

Jaguar - Please DONT even TOUCH hometown. Their december rush was so awesome that they delivered a friend's stuff only in end April (first instalment was early april). Installation took a week or so more. Crooks is all I can say.

regd decent local woodwork contractors - 25 days for fabrication and 15-20 days at site for final finishes. assume 5-7 days just for final cleanup and minor touches.
Old 20th May 2010, 23:53   #950
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Jaguar - Please DONT even TOUCH hometown. Their december rush was so awesome that they delivered a friend's stuff only in end April (first instalment was early april). Installation took a week or so more. Crooks is all I can say.

regd decent local woodwork contractors - 25 days for fabrication and 15-20 days at site for final finishes. assume 5-7 days just for final cleanup and minor touches.
Yes, I will never get it from Hometown. Was just looking there to compare prices and designs.
Old 21st May 2010, 01:19   #951
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Yes, I will never get it from Hometown. Was just looking there to compare prices and designs.
You can get a good carpenter to do this job. There are many a skilled guys in b'lore who do a customized job using good materials.
Old 25th May 2010, 09:14   #952
BHPian

Guys,

I need to buy a approximately 400 litre fridge in a budget of about 30 grand.
Has to be 2 or 3 door Frost free (side by side I dont think will come within 30 grand).
I do not use the freezer much.

What are my options?. Please help.

Thank you.
Old 25th May 2010, 10:09   #953
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
If I had got an AMC for each of these appliances for the 4 years after the warranty expired, I am pretty sure I would have spent far far more.

The only thing I got an AMC for is my Aquaguard because it requires routine service twice a year & the AMC cost was 10% more than the cost of 1 service.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post

Now, they do some kind of experiments - replace part X, if that is not fixed, replace part Y, then replace part Z, etc. And each time, parts have to come from some other place (Delhi, Goa, etc). Last break down took 4 visits, 12 days, and 1.4K worth parts not covered by the AMC. Some circuitry and "shock absorbers" were replaced under the AMC.
Been using an IFB for last 18 years! Man! he is eligible to vote now! Sad that he ain't got AI to type in here
Old 3rd June 2010, 10:19   #954
Senior - BHPian

Frost Free Refrigerator

I'm unlucky owner of a 1.3 yr Old Videocon single door direct cool refrigerator which has gone kaput. It was fixed yesterday but has again gone kaput today. My agony of dealing with Videocon is documented here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...-videocon.html

Since the present refrigerator was more of a stop gap arrangement and we were thinking of getting a 2 door Frost Free one, we have decided to buy a new one now by exchanging the present unit.

My primary requirement is Frost Free and big Freezer compartment. Budget is about 10k + exchange. Can anybody suggest which make /model would be ideal. Preferred brands LG/Samsung due to service issues.

Also any idea if any of the major electronic/home appliance retailers in Hyderabad running an exchange scheme.

Please help.
Old 5th June 2010, 13:53   #955
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
I'm unlucky owner of a 1.3 yr Old Videocon single door direct cool refrigerator which has gone kaput. It was fixed yesterday but has again gone kaput today. My agony of dealing with Videocon is documented here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...-videocon.html

Since the present refrigerator was more of a stop gap arrangement and we were thinking of getting a 2 door Frost Free one, we have decided to buy a new one now by exchanging the present unit.

My primary requirement is Frost Free and big Freezer compartment. Budget is about 10k + exchange. Can anybody suggest which make /model would be ideal. Preferred brands LG/Samsung due to service issues.

Also any idea if any of the major electronic/home appliance retailers in Hyderabad running an exchange scheme.

Please help.
Get a Frost-Free from Samsung !
Old 6th June 2010, 13:32   #956
Senior - BHPian

Its time to upgrade my 10 year old 200L LG fridge. I am looking for a ~350L frost free fridge with freezer compartment at the lower part. I could not find any models from the Korean chaebol with that design. Not interested in Chinese brands. Any recommendations?

I found the following models online which seems to meet my criteria.
Hitachi: R-S31SVND
Panasonic: NR-BW414VS

Any ownership experiences?
Old 11th June 2010, 04:19   #957
BHPian

Chimney in B'lore.

I am looking for a chimney, which has a suction of around 900m3. Please suggest some good brand/models, approx. price and sales points in Bangalore.
Old 12th June 2010, 09:52   #958
BHPian

Future Bazaar's Ezone is having it's anniversary celebrations & as a part of it they claim to be selling products at zero margin for just two days.
Are they really doing it or is it just a marketing gimmick?
Old 12th June 2010, 11:50   #959
BANNED

I would suggest you look for one of the Euro designs (hitachi etc) with the freezer in the bottom. The drawers are a big convenience for storing stuff in the freezer
Old 12th June 2010, 11:53   #960
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishab.k View Post
Future Bazaar's Ezone is having it's anniversary celebrations & as a part of it they claim to be selling products at zero margin for just two days.
Are they really doing it or is it just a marketing gimmick?
A poster on another forum notes "zero margin sale" prices higher than normal prices in other shops.

Buy with care: check it out first!

Most Viewed