Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2010, 12:25   #961
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
A poster on another forum notes "zero margin sale" prices higher than normal prices in other shops.

Buy with care: check it out first!
thats funny, btw, Giria's has also announced the same scheme for 2 days. Compare the prices before deciding.
Old 12th June 2010, 17:20   #962
Distinguished - BHPian

Here's the thread on HiFiVision about the sale
Old 14th June 2010, 13:29   #963
BHPian

Shopping for a washing machine

Hi,

We are replacing our 19 year old TVS washing machine. We had a pretty decent experience with it and are hoping new Whirlpools are as good too. After looking around we've zeroed in on the 7 kg Whirlpool top-loader (with heater). Anyone on the forum who's used this model?

Also anyone on the forum who has owned washing machines from Panasonic, Hitachi or Toshiba? I see very few retailers stocking these. Is it the high cost or are there quality/service issues (as some retailers as Ezone, Reliance, etc. claim).
Old 14th June 2010, 20:01   #964
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBlazer View Post
Hi,

We are replacing our 19 year old TVS washing machine. We had a pretty decent experience with it and are hoping new Whirlpools are as good too. After looking around we've zeroed in on the 7 kg Whirlpool top-loader (with heater). Anyone on the forum who's used this model?

Also anyone on the forum who has owned washing machines from Panasonic, Hitachi or Toshiba? I see very few retailers stocking these. Is it the high cost or are there quality/service issues (as some retailers as Ezone, Reliance, etc. claim).
If you don't mind spending a little extra, look for Siemens washing machines. They have a very good reputation, and my experience for the past two years is flawless. It is very silent, and the wash quality is very good. My friends washing machine is running for the 7 years with no issues. They are not generally available in EZone or Girijas. You need to spend sometime in locating retailers. If I am remember correctly, Siemens has a show room in Jayanagar 9th block.

I have no idea of Panasonic/Hitachi/Toshiba models, but I don't think quality is a issue. Service is not an issue with Siemens. High cost and low retailer margins might be reasons non-stocking by retailers.
Old 14th June 2010, 22:22   #965
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

We have three whirlpool top loading washing machines in our family. Erstwhile H65 model which I bought in 2005 and same is with brother. Recently, bought PRO 700s about six months back. This washing machine is an absolute delight to use. There are some extremely useful features and its user friendly.

We have not faced any problem whatsoever in any of the machines. The performance is superb. You can go ahead with this machine. Any specific question on the performance you are free to ask me.

PS : Needless to say I dont have to do anything with Whirlpool except that I am a satisfied customer.
Old 14th June 2010, 22:51   #966
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by umvarma View Post
If you don't mind spending a little extra, look for Siemens washing machines. They have a very good reputation, and my experience for the past two years is flawless. It is very silent, and the wash quality is very good. My friends washing machine is running for the 7 years with no issues. They are not generally available in EZone or Girijas. You need to spend sometime in locating retailers. If I am remember correctly, Siemens has a show room in Jayanagar 9th block.

I have no idea of Panasonic/Hitachi/Toshiba models, but I don't think quality is a issue. Service is not an issue with Siemens. High cost and low retailer margins might be reasons non-stocking by retailers.
Thanks. Good to know of your experience. I really don't mind shelling a little extra if it results in some peace of mind.

It seems like Siemens does have a showroom in 9th Block Jayanagar. I'll have a look. I had a look at the Siemens website - it seems like they sell only front loading washing machines in India.

I believe there is a Hitachi showroom too in 9th block. Got the number from JustDial. No one answers the phone.
Old 19th June 2010, 18:48   #967
BHPian

Guys, need advice on a water filter. Cost is a big, big factor. Earlier wanted to stick with HUL PireIt, but after seeing a lot of complaints on Hindustan Lever Ltd - Pure it water filter Complaints - Request for battery change regarding non-availability of the replacement battery, I'm inclined to buy another one. But the huge number of purifiers available and their price has got me totally confused.

So, in a nutshell, can anybody tell me of the cheapest non-PureIt purifier that gives safe enough water ?

Last edited by anku94 : 19th June 2010 at 18:51.
Old 19th June 2010, 20:56   #968
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Been using an IFB for last 18 years! Man! he is eligible to vote now! Sad that he ain't got AI to type in here
We had identical reviews, and people were unanimous; that is why we siply closed our eyes and went in for IFB. Unfortunately, we ended up with a lemon. I did mention that in an earlier post.

I am posting this after being off the net for exactly one month. In between, the service done was pathetic, to say the least. It started giving trouble 2 days after the service was done. Some ends were left loose, (I suspect) in order to encourage us to renew the AMC, which I flatly refused. I esclated the issue. When the senior guys came, they found that some parts were not actually changed, as claimed.

I do feel that this AMC centeric approach is eroding quality.

Next time this machine requires repairs, it will probaby be posted in the give away thread.

Quote:
Please stick to a b rand which has own manufacturing base in India, and makes models specific for India. Conditions here are very different from those prevailing elsewhere.

I got a Panasonic "Mixier / grinder" some months back; and it is unused; because it is unusable. We will give it back to the dealer. The carton and warranty card with other papers were damaged by termites, so I will not create a ruckus here, I do not even have proof of purchase. (paying by credit card may have helped me here.)
Old 19th June 2010, 22:03   #969
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by anku94 View Post
Guys, need advice on a water filter. Cost is a big, big factor. Earlier wanted to stick with HUL PireIt, but after seeing a lot of complaints on Hindustan Lever Ltd - Pure it water filter Complaints - Request for battery change regarding non-availability of the replacement battery, I'm inclined to buy another one. But the huge number of purifiers available and their price has got me totally confused.

So, in a nutshell, can anybody tell me of the cheapest non-PureIt purifier that gives safe enough water ?

Tata Swach is supposed to be cheapest - costs around Rs. 1000 - never used it - have no idea how good it is -> TataSwach

Aquaguard UV range starts from Rs. 3500 odd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
I got a Panasonic "Mixier / grinder" some months back; and it is unused; because it is unusable.
Unusable in what way?
Old 19th June 2010, 23:05   #970
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Tata Swach is supposed to be cheapest - costs around Rs. 1000 - never used it - have no idea how good it is -> TataSwach

Aquaguard UV range starts from Rs. 3500 odd.
Tata Swatch isn't available in our city. Thanks, although.

Can anybody vouch for the Rs. 3500 Aquaguard UV's water quality ?

Or any cheap (1k~3k) water purifier that gives pure enough water ?

Thanks.
Old 20th June 2010, 00:00   #971
Senior - BHPian

Does anyone know where I can buy refridgerators made by 'BECO'. I have been told that Godrej markets them but none of the Godrej dealers in Delhi seem to have any idea.

Anyone with experience with SHARP or SIEMENS, we are looking to replace our 15 year old 410L GE double door frost free with a slightly bigger capacity at around 500L. The trouble is that modern day designs offer very slim profile cabinets whereas my mother is used to the squarish design of the GE where the interiors are deep and wide & I am going nuts trying to find one that matches.

I am open to buying from the grey market in Delhi provided the shop comes with a reference.

@anku94

We have been using Aquaguard since donkey's years, with a couple of upgrades as they introduced new models along the years. Philips also makes good water purifiers in the range indicated by you.

Last edited by khoj : 20th June 2010 at 00:02.
Old 20th June 2010, 00:16   #972
BHPian

Err..I didn't find any Philips purifier in that range. I sent Aquaguard a mail though, waiting for a reply. Let's see.
Old 20th June 2010, 23:24   #973
BHPian

Anku; In my opinion always go with purifiers that work on electricity. Ya they do have a little hastle in cleaning, but we have peace of mind. These pureit and other recharge batteries are just like manufacturers selling computer printer, they sell the printer cheap and demand exorbitant price for the refills. Euraka Forbes is good, but it cost around 7000/-

Last edited by Chipz : 20th June 2010 at 23:28.
Old 20th June 2010, 23:40   #974
BHPian

I was already having trouble convincing my dad to buy PureIt, as he insists that the water we get is safe enough, shelling 7k is out of question. I get your point though. When an average filter costs 7k, cheaper ones have to have some sort of compromise.

Now the strategy I've adopted is to call the drinking water we consume unfiltered water anytime we speak of it, and I hope this will shame him into springing into action.
Old 21st June 2010, 03:23   #975
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipz View Post
Euraka Forbes is good, but it cost around 7000/-
Not really. The models Eureka sells through their door-to-door salesman start from Rs. 7000. The models they sell in retail shops start much lower.
The models they sell in retail shops are called just "Forbes" instead of "Eureka Forbes" these days.

The shop models are also displayed on their website with prices, but shop keepers give it to you at prices much cheaper than those mentioned in the website.

When I was looking for a purifier, I found the cheapest Eureka UV filter in shops to be around Rs. 4200 or Rs. 4300 or so. I went in for the Crystal model which cost me Rs. 5200 in the shop. Now it looks like they have a model which is cheaper than the model I saw for 4200-4300.

Once you buy it from the shop, the company people come to your home for the installation, service etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anku94 View Post

Now the strategy I've adopted is to call the drinking water we consume unfiltered water anytime we speak of it, and I hope this will shame him into springing into action.
ot of tap water is safe enough to drink. I used to drink tap water all the time in Bombay. Even now I do it atleast a few of times a month, when I am too bored to wait for the damn filter. I had read a report saying that 75% of all tap water in Bombay is potable, don't know about your city.

If you are unsure about the safety of your tap water, why not boil it before drinking? That will kill any bacteria as good or better than a UV filter.

Last edited by carboy : 21st June 2010 at 03:29.

Most Viewed