Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2010, 00:57   #1066
Senior - BHPian

Anyone using Racold Instant water geyser here?
I am looking for a model which turns on only when you turn on the tap. So, even if you switch on the power, the geyser will not turn on until you start the tap. I know a model like this exists since I have used it in my previous rented flat. Now, when I am trying to get one with similar features, none of the shop keepers are aware of it. Please let me know the model name/number if you are using it.
Old 28th July 2010, 02:03   #1067
Distinguished - BHPian

I cannot remember the make, but I certainly had something like that in the bathroom at my old place a few years ago. I had this titchy thing in the bathroom that produced more-or-less instant hot water, and a great big thing in the kitchen that had to heat up for about twenty minutes. Always wishes I had the small unit in the kitchen as well.

I don't think it was advertised as "instant" but it contained just a few litres of water, and was more-or-less instant.
Old 28th July 2010, 06:56   #1068
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Hmm, could you please elaborate as to why Koryo is so bad? I'm talking about their OTGs only and not their MWs.
I have never used koryo brand personally, but have heard only bad reviews about there products' quality. Couple of years ago, our office canteen guys installed koryo microwaves and then dumped them a week later. On enquiring they told that all of them have gone bad in 1 week

Quote:
As for IFB, there seem to be too many -ve opinions about the company, so I'm apprehensive about them. Or are their MWs good?
IFB WMs are problematic. A friend of mine is using IFB microwave since last 3 years and is quite happy with it.

But then, IFB is not the only brand out there. We have been using Onida since last 6 years.

Quote:
My question was that if we get a MW with convection, would the cakes turn out to be the same as a normal oven? And what about toasting bread?
The answer is no. You cannot get the same results. Not even close.

Quote:
Then the question is would there be any advantage of getting a MW with grill (for veg stuff only)?
No use of grill either. Microwave is useful only to reheat, cook rice, maggi, boil potatoes, corn and making popcorns.

Quote:
"Samsung? LG?" - didn't get that statement??
He meant, consider these brands as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
I am looking for a model which turns on only when you turn on the tap. So, even if you switch on the power, the geyser will not turn on until you start the tap. I know a model like this exists since I have used it in my previous rented flat. Now, when I am trying to get one with similar features, none of the shop keepers are aware of it. Please let me know the model name/number if you are using it.
We are using Venus instant water heater. Not exactly the same functionality, but when we switch it on and dont switch on the tap, it overheats and switches itself off within 2 mins. It then periodically switches itself on for a few mins once in about 1.5hrs to keep the 0.5 lt water hot.

Regards,
Old 28th July 2010, 08:52   #1069
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
I have an instant geyser from Racold which does this - switches on only if the water is turned on & instantly switches off when the water is shut off - nice functionality & I have never seen it in any other geyser.
This model also has another interesting feature. The body of the geyser is flat rectangular. It has 3 small circular lights on the front arranged in a triangle. The top light is just a light, but the bottom 2 are also switches. So you can operate the geyser in 3 modes. Both the bottom two switched off, first of the bottom 2 switched on, the 2nd of the bottom 2 switched on & both of the bottom 2 switched on. So it gives different heating levels based on this.

The model is called either Racold Fonte or Racold Forte. The name is written on the Geyser in a rather funny cursive font, so I am not able to make out whether it's an 'r' or an 'n'. This model however doesn't seem to be listed on the Racold website so don't know whether they still sell it.

Last edited by carboy : 28th July 2010 at 09:02.
Old 28th July 2010, 12:29   #1070
Senior - BHPian

Am in the market for a WM. Considering only the front loading ones. Visited the sellers in our locality (Marathalli, Bangalore) like Home Town, LG showroom, Adhishwar, ezone etc. Liked the IFB and LG models. Have just now gone thru all 70 pages and have realised probably IFB is not what it used to be (and maybe has service issues also here in Bangalore) so striking it out. So it just leaves LG. Saw their machines with the Directdrive technology. Have a few Qs:
1. Is Directdrive really superior to the old tech (pulley system)? Also what about the reliability
2. Second point mentioned in LGs favor was less noise and less vibrations. Again is it really true? Some people here have complained about "rocking" IFB machines. My sister has an IFB front loader but she never complained about it! Maybe the machines coming nowdays have some problems.
3. Is it better to buy from LG store? The price offered on the model (8KG one was quoted for 35k) was best in the market (compared to other sellers in Marathalli area). Also it is wise to go for a bigger capacity machine like this one (8KG)? We are a family of 3 (third being a 6 month baby) and we do not expect frequent visitors (being at least 2500KM away from relations and all). The machine is xpected to cater to all sorts of clothes, sheets, towels, carpets etc. And there are enough baby clothes as well. One concern my wife has is whether we would need to separate clothes while washing (those that leave colors, not mixing sheets with regular clothes etc.) How do people really use WMs? Do all clothes go in at one go or we have to separate them? Sorry first time WM users we are. In Noida it was easy to get maids to do laundry so never needed a WM!

Thanks for any help.
Regards,
J

Last edited by joslicx : 28th July 2010 at 12:33.
Old 28th July 2010, 12:35   #1071
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakchiniwal View Post
My budget is not more than 15000/-
Do we get a good Front loading washing machine within this budget?
Yes there are 2 from IFB. Diva and Eva DX. I'm using IFB Diva for a year now and very much satisfied with it. Eva DX is recently launched and looks like its basically IFB Diva with hot wash option.

You should be able to get IFB Eva DX between 15k-16k. I don't think Whirlpool/Samsung has front load washer ~15k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Some people here have complained about "rocking" IFB machines. My sister has an IFB front loader but she never complained about it! Maybe the machines coming nowdays have some problems.
Not in my case. My sister had the 'rocking' issue which was taken care by IFB service guy.

Quote:
Also it is wise to go for a bigger capacity machine like this one (8KG)? We are a family of 3 (third being a 6 month baby) and we do not expect frequent visitors (being at least 2500KM away from relations and all). The machine is expected to cater to all sorts of clothes, sheets, towels, carpets etc. And there are enough baby clothes as well.
There is no harm in going in for a bigger capacity unless you have that much amount of clothes to wash on daily basis to justify your purchase. We have 5-6KG washing machines at 3 different places and that capacity is enough for daily washing needs of a family of four.

Quote:
One concern my wife has is whether we would need to separate clothes while washing (those that leave colors, not mixing sheets with regular clothes etc.)
Yes you need to separate all that leave colour.

Quote:
How do people really use WMs? Do all clothes go in at one go or we have to separate them? Sorry first time WM users we are. In Noida it was easy to get maids to do laundry so never needed a WM!
We normally wash all clothes which don't leave colour in one go. All heavy stuff like bedsheets and so on in another go. This way you can select the proper washing mode to save time and electricity!! We have very few which leave colour and hand wash the same.

Last edited by HammerHead : 28th July 2010 at 12:47.
Old 28th July 2010, 12:49   #1072
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Thad and Carboy
@Carboy, I guess you have the exact same model I was talking about. Now that I have an idea of the model name, let me go search for it.
Old 28th July 2010, 13:00   #1073
BANNED

Quote:
Am in the market for a WM.
My IFB has given out yet again, just yesterday. That should be about 3 months of usage since the shock absorbers were replaced. The service is (still) prompt, but the parts are sub par. And every year, more and more parts get included in the "not covered by AMC" list.

I was under the impression that company showrooms (LG, Samsung, Sony) sell only at recommended price. If they offer best price for same model, do go for it.

You will require and 8 kg machine. Your child supply you with at least 2-3 kg fabric (bed linen, 5-8 changes of clothes, etc) every day. This is especially if you choose not to force a disposable nappy on your kid full time. I did not uise them on my kids, and the machine was put to good use. 8 kg does seem a bit overkill, but I guess some features are not available in 5-7 kg models. OTOH, if the next kid ( <grin> ) comes within 3-4 years, it will be worth the investment.
Old 28th July 2010, 13:19   #1074
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohit View Post
I have never used koryo brand personally, but have heard only bad reviews about there products' quality. Couple of years ago, our office canteen guys installed koryo microwaves and then dumped them a week later. On enquiring they told that all of them have gone bad in 1 week
That sounds pretty scary! But you have mentioned that about their MWs. Wonder if its true for their OTGs also. I guess it would only be safe to assume the same about them. But then which are the best brands when it comes to conventional OTGs?

Quote:
IFB WMs are problematic. A friend of mine is using IFB microwave since last 3 years and is quite happy with it.

But then, IFB is not the only brand out there. We have been using Onida since last 6 years.
Noted. I'm more inclined towards LG, unless the other brands have something extra to offer.

Quote:
The answer is no. You cannot get the same results. Not even close.
Thats a pity. :( Been hearing contradictory opinions on this one...

Quote:
No use of grill either. Microwave is useful only to reheat, cook rice, maggi, boil potatoes, corn and making popcorns.
So there would be no use of an MW_cum_grill for veg. food? What about stuff like brinjals, potatoes, etc?
Old 28th July 2010, 13:21   #1075
Senior - BHPian

IFB washing machines are one of the best ones we have used. The current one we have it for 10 years and still going on strongly. We use it every day, and in some days two times. Once the belt was broken and changed. Took AMC from last year. Rocking issue is mainly due to the uneven floors in work areas or bathrooms where we keep it rather than a fault of the machine. May need to spend some time to ensure that it is on a clear horizontal level. It will never budge if that is done.
Old 28th July 2010, 13:52   #1076
Distinguished - BHPian

From what I have understood from other posters, the IFB machine of ten years ago was a Bosch (same as Siemens) and a high class machine. That is no longer the case, although the design features linger.

I am still waiting to discover if my ex-UK Bosch can be repaired. I am not going to invest in another "brain" for it at around Rs12,000! (replaced a few months ago after rat damage). I do not think it is worth spending the cost of a Siemens machine here, and have been thinking of LG as the replacement.

Our washing machine is underused, as my wife still prefers to get most clothes washed by the maid. That leaves it with bedsheets, vestis and underclothes to wash. It would not be good with my FabIndia kurtas... those vegetable dyes run for years: everything would end up the same mixed colour!

Yes, you need to sort your wash. One thing is temperature: underpants, knickers, etc, will be left germ-free by a hot wash (50 or 60) but this is both unnecessary and may be damaging to other clothes. Machines can even handle silks (and wool, for those in the cold North). Use a special soap, though, and no, I am not underwriting your wife's best sari --- but I have often washed silk vestis in the machine. They need ironing immediately, though, while still damp, or they dry into a crinkle-cut pattern of creases that never comes out again!
Old 28th July 2010, 14:00   #1077
Senior - BHPian

@Thad - Taking your suggestion on WM, as ours is for due replacement in 3 years - Thanks to Videocon products bought from Next (looks to me like, buy the Next one). I was in a dilemma as to go in for IFB or LG or Whirlpool. We've TV from LG & refrigerator from Whirlpool for which both the services are equally good, so now it gives a competition only between LG & Whirlpool.
Old 28th July 2010, 14:39   #1078
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Have a few Qs:
1. Is Directdrive really superior to the old tech (pulley system)? Also what about the reliability
2. Second point mentioned in LGs favor was less noise and less vibrations. Again is it really true? Some people here have complained about "rocking" IFB machines. My sister has an IFB front loader but she never complained about it! Maybe the machines coming nowdays have some problems.
1. Yes they are superior to the old pulley system. Reliability is good but since the whole unit is a CBU, repairing (in case required) would be expensive.

2. USP of Direct drive system is less noise and vibrations. IFB have pulley systems.
Old 28th July 2010, 16:02   #1079
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
My IFB has given out yet again, just yesterday. That should be about 3 months of usage since the shock absorbers were replaced. The service is (still) prompt, but the parts are sub par. And every year, more and more parts get included in the "not covered by AMC" list.
Even my IFB conked off a couple of days back. And the repair guy who comes these days doesn't know what to do. Last time also he had visited 2-3 times, before he could rectify the issue . Maybe we should form a group and complain to higher ups in IFB. Looks like there are many ppl in our forum itself who are facing constant issues with IFB.
Old 28th July 2010, 16:10   #1080
Senior - BHPian

IFB Washing Machine

Today only i got the bearings of my IFB washing machine replaced. It had started making a huge metallic sound while spinning. Its more than 5 years old now. Lets see how long it lasts...
The IFB service was good. I had to refuse AMC as the machine needed repairs urgently.
They've also handed me to packets of Descal. Has anyone used them before? Are they useful?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks