Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2010, 18:36   #1171
Senior - BHPian

^^ Thanks for the inputs Thad. I had pretty much the same views, unfortunately he was "advised" by the shopkeeper that these were just gimmicks and were meant for cold countries only. As per him, for Indian conditions machines apparently do not need hot water
If my cousin hasnt already paid him, will ask him to look for something else.
Old 13th August 2010, 19:08   #1172
Distinguished - BHPian

With advice like that, suggest he goes to a different shop too!

I still have my doubts about the salesperson's knowledge of the model. Maybe check out the specifications on the net?

A front-loader with no heater just seems so unlikely!

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 13th August 2010 at 19:10.
Old 13th August 2010, 19:30   #1173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
Just heard from a cousin that IFB has also launched a 6kg top loading machine for about 11.5K.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
With advice like that, suggest he goes to a different shop too!

I still have my doubts about the salesperson's knowledge of the model. Maybe check out the specifications on the net?

A front-loader with no heater just seems so unlikely!
Hi Thad, its a new Top Loader from IFB not the regular Front loader.
Old 13th August 2010, 19:41   #1174
Distinguished - BHPian

So it is! I guess I read it properly a first, then got confused afterwards.

Anyway... give me temperature control, which means a machine with a heater!
Old 13th August 2010, 19:50   #1175
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Thad, I agree with the temp control bit completely.
Old 15th August 2010, 01:43   #1176
Senior - BHPian

Anyone knows some higher ups in IFB?
My WM conked off again
Some 10 days ago, it was not taking out soap powder.
The service engineer cleaned up something and went. Next day onwards midway through the wash, the MCB started tripping
Called them up again and the guy replaced the circuit board
In a couple of days, dancing started and also started making loud noises.
Another complaint and another technician came and replace something which looks like a motor. (he told mom that its tachometer )
That was y'day and thanks to power cut, couldn't test it. Today, it has all of the above issues plus it is leaking from the bottom.
Called up and blasted CC who gave contact of aparantly some service head, one Mr. Velu who is not reachable. The person attending the phone says he is out of office, busy in another call etc.
I am not sure what to do to get this fixed.
Old 15th August 2010, 02:23   #1177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
^^ Thanks for the inputs Thad. I had pretty much the same views, unfortunately he was "advised" by the shopkeeper that these were just gimmicks and were meant for cold countries only. As per him, for Indian conditions machines apparently do not need hot water
If my cousin hasnt already paid him, will ask him to look for something else.
Well the shopkeeper is not entirely wrong, in the sense that most modern detergents work best between 32 to 35 degree C and in typical Indian weather not counting the North in winters that is the mark (not exactly but thereabouts) the water coming out of our taps is at what with the black plastic tanks doing their bit. So majority gets by with non heater equipped m/cs. As it is WMs are still in infacncy here so people are getting better results anyways compared to manual wash.

Having said that my parents up North do have a heater in their WM, I opted for one without when I moved to Bombay due to reasons above and results are not very different. But yes the fabric softner works best only with water at 35 C and above, it is useless in my WM and I miss a soft towel twice a day every day. Dang, I am changing my machine this coming festive season.

Last edited by khoj : 15th August 2010 at 02:27.
Old 15th August 2010, 05:21   #1178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Rider View Post
Is anyone using their products? If so what would be your recomendation be?Thanks in advance
Consider atleast 100 times before buying a Videocon product. We bought a WM about 3.5 years ago & the top electronic panel conked off & started producing weired sounds when you press the button each time. The SVC guys showed up after 2 days after 2 calls & they fixed something & said this is the max they could work out. The sound after fixing was like a electronic device infected with common cold. I wasn't in a mood to escalate as the WM was purchased against my choice of brand. Since then it has been working as ok-ok type. Though it never failed to work, but sometimes the washing cycle was quick, sometimes rinse was quick, sometimes it takes several hours to complete the entire normal wash cycle. I would never go back to Videocon again & we just got it replaced with 8Kg Whirlpool last week.
Old 15th August 2010, 07:09   #1179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Consider atleast 100 times before buying a Videocon product.
Our Videocon washing machine is older than me. Model number VNA400T. Semi-Automatic. Although it's showing a lot of signs of old age, the vital components are still working.

Incidentally, it was also featured in a brief scene in Rocket Singh, albeit a different color.

Seems like Videocon's priorities have changed now.
Old 15th August 2010, 07:30   #1180
Senior - BHPian

Philips HL1618 Mixie

Bought a Philips HL1618 Mixie for 2441Rs from canteen last week.
Attached Thumbnails
The Home Appliance thread-untitled.jpg  

Old 15th August 2010, 15:47   #1181
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anku94 View Post
Our Videocon washing machine is older than me.
Do not compare the things of the past with the present or future. Things used to be much better in past; Our Konark television lasted for more than 20 years with just 2 issues before it completely conked off. The Leonard refrigerator bought in 75 served well until 96, but the same Leonard Kelvinator bought in 96 served good only till 2004. India was rolling in riches in the past, is that the same case now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anku94 View Post
Seems like Videocon's priorities have changed now.
That's what their new ad says. Remember, our WM was still working good & served the purpose when we sold last week.

Sorry if my post sounds offending. But I want to make clear that comparing things of past does not help much in making a decision at present.
Old 15th August 2010, 16:09   #1182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Anyone knows some higher ups in IFB?
My WM conked off again
Some 10 days ago, it was not taking out soap powder.
The service engineer cleaned up something and went. Next day onwards midway through the wash, the MCB started tripping
Called them up again and the guy replaced the circuit board
In a couple of days, dancing started and also started making loud noises.
Another complaint and another technician came and replace something which looks like a motor. (he told mom that its tachometer )
That was y'day and thanks to power cut, couldn't test it. Today, it has all of the above issues plus it is leaking from the bottom.
Called up and blasted CC who gave contact of aparantly some service head, one Mr. Velu who is not reachable. The person attending the phone says he is out of office, busy in another call etc.
I am not sure what to do to get this fixed.
IFB strikes again!! Get the info from your local service center. Thats how I got it. If its nearby and if you have the time, a personal visit may be more useful (if you don't get what you want on the phone).
Old 15th August 2010, 16:17   #1183
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry if my post sounds offending. But I want to make clear that comparing things of past does not help much in making a decision at present.
Not at all, because it is not just India! Apart from cars, which are now much more durable than their forbears of sixty years ago, things really do not last as they did. Many of these items were over-specified and over-engineered.

The environmentalists keep reminding us that plastic lasts for ever --- but it does not stay useful for ever!
Old 15th August 2010, 19:06   #1184
BHPian

Quote:
.Things used to be much better in past.
No denying that. There are so many examples I could quote. Cutting corners has taken a toll on appliances' life.
Old 15th August 2010, 21:33   #1185
BANNED

@jaguar - sorry - had missed that post about IFB repeat problems.

As already advised, you may be better of berating the local service center guys direct. Asking them for details of their higher ups may help.

But there are limits. Teh finest ICE installer cannot help if you install intex speakers and some chinese make HU.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks