Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2010, 13:22   #1261
Senior - BHPian

As for prices of the MW we got, in Poona, the prices at Big Baazar was the highest, Chroma was somewhere midway and a small dealer near my place gave the best deal. Strange, as Big Baazar is supposed to be a budget/bargain kinda mall... and with premium prices?? So it does pay to compare prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Actually if the convection mode has 'fan-assist' then it should cook faster,
All convection MWs have a fan, don't they?

Last edited by Raccoon : 3rd September 2010 at 13:27.
Old 3rd September 2010, 15:52   #1262
Senior - BHPian

All MWs whether convection or not have a fan.
Old 3rd September 2010, 15:56   #1263
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Actually if the convection mode has 'fan-assist' then it should cook faster,
All convection MW's have it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
I dont think the ones with only MW and Grill has a fan for circulation inside , since its not required by these functions.
Old 3rd September 2010, 16:15   #1264
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't think so?! Just check their backsides. The ones with convection have a protrusion in the back. The ones without dont. The fan is inside.
Old 3rd September 2010, 16:22   #1265
Senior - BHPian

There is a cooling fan in all MWs. I am not aware if there is one to circulate heat/hotair inside the food cavity. Maybe those with the steam function have one but again I am not sure.

Last edited by khoj : 3rd September 2010 at 16:23.
Old 3rd September 2010, 23:27   #1266
Distinguished - BHPian

fan in "traditional" microwaves is to cool the components, not to move air within the oven. That's why it stays on for a short time after cooking is finished.
Old 4th September 2010, 09:52   #1267
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Anyway, at what max temperature can a OTG cook?

Furthermore, a MW has the option to use dual mode (MW+convection). I'm guessing that should reduce baking time, but don't know what kind of results it gives. Anybody knows?
The Max temp of an OTG can be much higher than a MW, depends on the model.

Yes, dual mode does reduce baking time. MW can bake a cake but without any browning (thats why convection is required).
Old 4th September 2010, 10:05   #1268
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Convection Microwave has Fan inside. There are different mode for usage of convection. MW+Convection or Grill+Convection or Convection mode.

Grill microwave does not have fan inside. Fan what you see back side is for cooling purpose of unit not for cooking.
Old 4th September 2010, 12:52   #1269
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
The Max temp of an OTG can be much higher than a MW, depends on the model.

Yes, dual mode does reduce baking time. MW can bake a cake but without any browning (thats why convection is required).
Absorption of MW energy is what generates heat. If it is only water then you do not get higher than 100. But a lot of other material absorb the energy. I have had Kababs burnt in MW.

The heat generated by OTG is limited by the heating element. The heat generated by MW depends totally by the material being cooked. Good absorption would result in higher temparature, bad absorption in lower temperatures.

Coming back to cooking, traditional cooking assumes the heat is applied from outside and percolates inside. MW cooking heats from inside out. This means that for cakes the inner core will get heated faster. That is one of the reasons that food not prepared for MW cooking can burst. This is one of the reasons that a recipe has to be tailored specifically for MW.

Another thing to remember that unlike traditional stove/oven cooking, MW cooking time depends on the mass. Hence a small cake will take less time than a large cake.

As far as browning is concerned, different materials brown differently in MW. For example to roast chicken legs, I innitially cook the legs in a covered Borosil pan. Once cooked, I take the leg on to the lid and cook it for some more time. The leg browns perfectly.
Old 4th September 2010, 16:58   #1270
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post

Coming back to cooking, traditional cooking assumes the heat is applied from outside and percolates inside. MW cooking heats from inside out. This means that for cakes the inner core will get heated faster. That is one of the reasons that food not prepared for MW cooking can burst. This is one of the reasons that a recipe has to be tailored specifically for MW.

As far as browning is concerned, different materials brown differently in MW. For example to roast chicken legs, I innitially cook the legs in a covered Borosil pan. Once cooked, I take the leg on to the lid and cook it for some more time. The leg browns perfectly.
Not quite. In fact microwaves may not even be able to penetrate the item being cooked all the way in. They penetrate mostly a few milli/ceni meters or so from the crust. Depending on what you are cooking the "core" would mostly be cooked by conduction only. So its not really like it cooks "inside out" or "the core will get heated faster".

As for glass ovenware, I found other brands that are much cheaper than Borosil. There are some Indian brands, but the shopkeeper told us that they are only imported by the Indian companies. Most likely they will be from China. We got a Milton (Trio) and it seems to be upto the job qutie well and has seen 2 cake baking sessions in convection mode. Don't know why Borosil, which is supposed to be made in India, commands such a high premium.

Last edited by Raccoon : 4th September 2010 at 17:04.
Old 4th September 2010, 17:50   #1271
Senior - BHPian

Anybody, Please suggest a good Microwave Oven; Price between 10-15K Rs. If it is 5 star rated then, a surely recommended.
Old 4th September 2010, 18:34   #1272
Senior - BHPian

^^^ I'd suggest the Samsung 28L with ceramic enamel. Has been discussed before.
Old 4th September 2010, 18:57   #1273
BHPian

So bought the IFB Neptune dishwasher a couple of days back. Works great, and washes the dishes like really good. I just smile when i see the really cleaned utensils coming out of it after a little over a couple of hours.

But i'm facing a small issue. The red indicator for "salt" is always on, even after the salt box is filled to the brim. Actually when the technician installed it, he put some water in the box along with almost 2 kgs of salt. I'm not sure if that is the reason for the light not going off. If anyone who has owned this product and has faced a similar issue can throw some light on it, it would be great.
Old 4th September 2010, 19:21   #1274
Senior - BHPian

^^^He did right. You have to add water when you put in the salt for the 1st time. How many times have you used the machine? It is normal for the salt indicator to stay on for sometime in the case of a brand new machine. So wait a bit if your machine is very new. If it does not go off after few uses, then you would need to get it rectified by IFB.
Old 4th September 2010, 20:12   #1275
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
^^^He did right. You have to add water when you put in the salt for the 1st time. How many times have you used the machine? It is normal for the salt indicator to stay on for sometime in the case of a brand new machine. So wait a bit if your machine is very new. If it does not go off after few uses, then you would need to get it rectified by IFB.
Used it a coupla times in the past two days. Indicator is still on. Lets see for a couple of days more if the light still glows red. Otherwise ill call the service guys.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks