Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2010, 19:06   #1291
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by radek View Post
Top Loading Vs Front Loading washing machine, which is good?
I have used both; and the top loader adds about 500INRto the electricity bill. That was for a 2 member family. (me and wife).

And about doubles the household water consumption. This is a Godrej fully automatic 4.5 Kg.

The IFB purchased around same time, and which I am looking to replace now, again 4.5 Kg, added a mere 200 INR to the bill, and aditional water consumption is negligible.

I moved back in with my parents (me and wife were transferred back) in meantime.

The Godrej has been gifted to sister and is working fine. And has sent up the electricity consumption of their household from 600 for two months to 1800 for two months. They use ground water, so the extra multiple is attributable to having to pump extra water.

I have nothing against Whirlpool. Just that the particular shop had only those brands. A TVS-Whirlpool (remember that company?) fully automatic is going strong at wife's house for past 15 years. No repiairs at all.

Am not sure fi Whirlpool has front loaders.
Old 6th September 2010, 20:58   #1292
AWD
BHPian

I guess front loaders do a better job at cleaning. Whirlpool also has some models in front loading machines but its major range is in top loading.

Any suggestions on a domestic Floor mill? I know a few brands like Nataraj, etc. Also came across floor mills with which one has to attach a motor(1.5-2Hp).
Old 6th September 2010, 21:17   #1293
BANNED

awd - you mean flour mill?
Old 6th September 2010, 21:29   #1294
BHPian

^^ I've got Natraj 1hp. Pretty good.

Regards,
Old 7th September 2010, 12:29   #1295
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by radek View Post
Top Loading Vs Front Loading washing machine, which is good?

I am currently using IFB Front load from last 10 years which is now showing signs of aging with one motor replacement and one control card replacement. I want to decide whether the next WM will be top load or front load.

I asked this question to few people, but everyone prefers whatever they have used. Front loaders are expensive than top loading one. Also, front load detergent is costlier than top load. Top load also offers convinience of not bending or using as laundry bag till you start wash cycle. Somewhere I read that Top load tumbling action (which is around x-horizontal axis) can clean the clothes better than top load.

Any opinions?
I also have a 10 year old IFB. It has been in service contract all the time. Practically all the parts excepting the body have been replaced under AMC. I wanted to change the machine but the AMC guy had a very compelling point - what is the use. You are getting everything replaced any way. Your machine is as good as new. Further the new bodies are flimsier. So we decided to continue with the old one till it falls apart.
Old 7th September 2010, 12:42   #1296
Senior - BHPian

^^^ROTFL!! IFB quality has really struck the bottom!

And since you are replacing all parts except the body; and the body is stronger than the newer ones, I guess your machine should continue working perpetually. Unless the body corrodes or IFB stops making parts for that model.

If I were you, I would prefer to go for something that does not require an AMC.

Last edited by Raccoon : 7th September 2010 at 12:44.
Old 7th September 2010, 17:54   #1297
BHPian

Folks, Any idea where to buy "Sujatha" juicer/blender @ Chennai
Old 7th September 2010, 18:15   #1298
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : .. the top loader adds about 500INRto the electricity bill.

The IFB .. added a mere 200 INR to the bill

The Godrej .. has sent up the electricity consumption of their household from 600 for two months to 1800 for two months.
@BSD, may be there is something wrong with the electricals of that particular WM. Try and analyze how much time it used in a month, the load it generates - and hence how many KWH it should consume in a month.
Quote:
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : A TVS-Whirlpool .. fully automatic is going strong at wife's house for past 15 years.
you mean at your in-law's place, right ?
Old 7th September 2010, 19:53   #1299
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
and the top loader adds about 500INRto the electricity bill.
Are you saying w.r.t to front loading or from normal consumption? Bet you beer to dollar, top loading consumes less power than front loading. Here's the consumption in watts for Whirlpool top loading
8 & 7 Kg - 575 W
6.5 Kg - 360 W
Can you post the one for front loading from the technical spec? It should be around 900W+

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Am not sure fi Whirlpool has front loaders.
They do - Whirlpool India > Products > Washing Machines > Fully Automatic(Front Load)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfrj View Post
Folks, Any idea where to buy "Sujatha" juicer/blender @ Chennai
I think they're available only in KL & I'm yet to see any of them in Chennai; even the most reputed stores don't have one. An year ago, we were planning to buy a juicer & mixer separately & we were looking for Sujata. Most shops haven't even heard about this & finally we'd to settle for juicer+mixer from Butterfly. It should be easy to get one from KL during one of your trip than from Chennai.
PS - Your choice is good one; you cannot go wrong with Sujata.

Last edited by aargee : 7th September 2010 at 19:59.
Old 7th September 2010, 20:16   #1300
AWD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohit View Post
^^ I've got Natraj 1hp. Pretty good.
Please tell me more about it, how's the thing working & after sales support, service etc?

@Backseatdriver, my bad! Its Flour mill.

@Yrfrj, try Philips juicer blender. I have one, its great.
Old 7th September 2010, 20:59   #1301
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
8 & 7 Kg - 575 W
6.5 Kg - 360 W
The numbers above give you the power consumption when the motor runs. You also need to look at how much time the motor runs.

Quote:
I think they're available only in KL & I'm yet to see any of them in Chennai; even the most reputed stores don't have one.
These are available in Bangalore. Picked them up from BVK Iyengar Road. You are correct about the availability in reputed stores.

Quote:
Old 8th September 2010, 07:52   #1302
BHPian

Quote:
Agree. Totally. We've been using one for like 6 years now, and never did we have any trouble.
Old 8th September 2010, 08:08   #1303
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
gopalnayak : You also need to look at how much time the motor runs.
That's the reason I asked for the calculation. My top loader runs about an hour for one wash-spin dry cycle. That means 0.575 units per run. 15 Runs a month means less than 9 units.
Old 8th September 2010, 09:38   #1304
BHPian

Quote:
Are you saying w.r.t to front loading or from normal consumption? Bet you beer to dollar, top loading consumes less power than front loading. Here's the consumption in watts for Whirlpool top loading
8 & 7 Kg - 575 W
6.5 Kg - 360 W
Can you post the one for front loading from the technical spec? It should be around 900W+
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopalnayak View Post
The numbers above give you the power consumption when the motor runs. You also need to look at how much time the motor runs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
That's the reason I asked for the calculation. My top loader runs about an hour for one wash-spin dry cycle. That means 0.575 units per run. 15 Runs a month means less than 9 units.
I guess it is bit complex to compare power consupmtion of front-loading and top-loading washing machines. Considering all front loading machines come with heater in-built for hot water wash, most of the top-loading machines do not. They come with hot-water inlet from where you feed hot water from external source.
So it largely depends on what program and heat level is used for the wash program in front loading machines.
Old 8th September 2010, 10:10   #1305
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamhegde View Post
I guess it is bit complex to compare power consupmtion of front-loading and top-loading washing machines. Considering all front loading machines come with heater in-built for hot water wash, most of the top-loading machines do not. They come with hot-water inlet from where you feed hot water from external source.
So it largely depends on what program and heat level is used for the wash program in front loading machines.
The power consumed by a washing machine depends on the wash cycle. In our IFB the motor runs approximately 50% of the time at normal speed. 10% is taken up by three spin cycles, and the rest by the water filling/evacuation. I believe that in the top loading machines the motor is on for a longer time.

To add to the complication, the heater switches on when ever needed. If we are washing towels and linen at 90+ it is on a long time.

Our electricity bill comes to 1,500/ in winters, of which hot water geysers and lighting would be contributing 50%. So with around 30-40 batches of washing the IFB would be consuming 750/ @ 4.5.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks