Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2010, 10:39   #1306
Senior - BHPian

@Shyam - take it very simple; heater consumes 1500W. I'm not talking about heaters here. Compare the normal consumption of top loader vs front loader & that's what I'm talking about.

Coming back to washing cycles, yes, top loading consumes slightly more time than front loading, but definitely not in hours, probably in few minutes. But that is not sufficient to increase the bill even by Rs 100 a month.
Old 8th September 2010, 11:24   #1307
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
Please tell me more about it, how's the thing working & after sales support, service etc?

I bought it last month only. So, no service request so far. We have used it for 3 times so far. Test run was with about a handfull of channa dal. End result was about 3 hand fulls of besan

Its very silent. No vibrations or anything. The unit is enclosed in a wooden box. This wooden box, looks decent in finish, is however of not a great quality. You will not get the feeling of strength when handling the doors of the box. But the machine inside is quite solid.

Only problem is cleaning it after use. Though no flour comes out of the collection box, cleaning the blades/containers/filters is a must and consumes more time than grinding a kg of wheat.
However, there are models with in-built vaccum cleaner.
We bought the one without vaccum cleaner as we thought we will use our regular cleaner for this purpose and this is preferred as inbuilt vaccum cleaner wont be as powerful as dedicated one. Also, the amount of flour wasted looks like a big amount, but in actual its not more than 25-50 gms.

The best way to use this machine is to plan and grind all the grains in one shot. This will reduce the wastage as well as cleaning effort.

Next time when we use it, I will record it and post the video on youtube.
Do remind me to share the link (sometime after next week).

Regards,
Old 8th September 2010, 13:47   #1308
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
@Shyam - take it very simple; heater consumes 1500W. I'm not talking about heaters here. Compare the normal consumption of top loader vs front loader & that's what I'm talking about.

Coming back to washing cycles, yes, top loading consumes slightly more time than front loading, but definitely not in hours, probably in few minutes. But that is not sufficient to increase the bill even by Rs 100 a month.
Adding to this debate and apart from the electricity, would it be possible to stop the front loading machine in between the wash cycles and remove the clothes incase something is mistakenly kept say shirt pockets. I doubt that but it can be done in the top loading, no chances of spillage.
Old 8th September 2010, 14:59   #1309
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamhegde View Post
I guess it is bit complex to compare power consupmtion of front-loading and top-loading washing machines.
You guys actually made it easy for me. I was using a full load for the entire duration of usage. I had calculated 100% load during wash cycle, but 100% load of the motor would happen typically during spin-dry only. So the consumption should be lesser than what I had mentioned.

Reg the heater, I dont think @BSD mentioned either of those machines having a heater. So I'll assume neither has it. And this makes it even more surprising to see that high a electricity bill.
Old 8th September 2010, 16:51   #1310
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
would it be possible to stop the front loading machine in between the wash cycles and remove the clothes incase something is mistakenly kept say shirt pockets
If you have to do that, then with the machines in my experience, you can...

1. Stop the current cycle

2. Select "drain" cycle which will empty the machine.

3. Wait for the door to unlock

4. Open the door and remove your clothes.

The disadvantage is that you cannot continue the wash where you left off --- but it is likely that you realised this early in the wash anyway

Front loaders do not use much water. You may not even be able to do this without a flood:

1. Turn off at on/off switch

2. Wait for timed door lock

3. Open door and remove clothes from water.

4. Turn back on and continue wash!

In either instance, be very careful that the water is not too hot to touch.

To me, although I'm sure there is a world of difference to the old tubs I used to know, top loading is forty-year-old technology!

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 8th September 2010 at 16:54.
Old 8th September 2010, 19:44   #1311
Senior - BHPian

Hope you guys don't mind a little OT to share something very important on WM.

Two days ago, our new WM started behaving weird. It didn't carry out the regular spin cycle & wash & rinse; after couple hours, when we tried spin cycle separately, it worked. We lodged a complaint with Whirlpool & the service engineer was prompt to show up in the evening.

The issue was found to be with our daughter's inner garment that went under the WM drum. We were really surprised as how this could happen. The reason that was told to us was, not to use small clothes such as kerchief & kid's light garments directly, that could get beneath the drum creating such nuisances.

It was adviced to buy a wash bag to bundle up all the small clothes when washing such small garments. Looks like this is the trend for over 4-5 years now with all WM's.

Question
Does anyone have been using Calstrait? The Whirlpool people say it is used for breaking the hardness in water. I tested it in a glass of water without using WM, but couldn't find anything effective. The price is about Rs 1800 & I was expecting it to work something like Aquaguard, but Whirlpool people say that it has some magnetic material inside that takes care to break the hardness in water & it totally invisible. If used, it provides a quality wash. Can someone help with their expertise/experience in using this product pls?

Here's a blown up view for better view
The Home Appliance thread-p1.jpg

Last edited by aargee : 8th September 2010 at 19:47.
Old 8th September 2010, 19:47   #1312
Distinguished - BHPian

@aargee - is it a top loader or a front loader ? I dont think this problem is there in top loaders.
Old 8th September 2010, 19:49   #1313
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Does anyone have been using Calstrait? The Whirlpool people say it is used for breaking the hardness in water. I tested it in a glass of water without using WM, but couldn't find anything effective. The price is about Rs 1800 & I was expecting it to work something like Aquaguard, but Whirlpool people say that it has some magnetic material inside that takes care to break the hardness in water & it totally invisible. If used, it provides a quality wash. Can someone help with their expertise/experience in using this product pls?
Magnetic water treatment pseudoscience
Old 8th September 2010, 20:12   #1314
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hope you guys don't mind a little OT to share something very important on WM.

Two days ago, our new WM started behaving weird. It didn't carry out the regular spin cycle & wash & rinse; after couple hours, when we tried spin cycle separately, it worked. We lodged a complaint with Whirlpool & the service engineer was prompt to show up in the evening.

The issue was found to be with our daughter's inner garment that went under the WM drum. We were really surprised as how this could happen. The reason that was told to us was, not to use small clothes such as kerchief & kid's light garments directly, that could get beneath the drum creating such nuisances.

It was adviced to buy a wash bag to bundle up all the small clothes when washing such small garments. Looks like this is the trend for over 4-5 years now with all WM's.

Question

Here's a blown up view for better view
Attachment 420486
In over 10 years of using a front loader I have yet to come across such a case. We regularly wash handkerchiefs and small pieces of clothes. At times we do find coins in the filter ahead of the drain pump but nothing else.

We use a powder supplied by IFB service personnel once a year. It is a descaler does an admirable job and costs just 200. What your product claims is news for me. I guess if it really worked then desalination plants would have used it instead of reverse osmosis which is quite expensive.
Old 8th September 2010, 20:25   #1315
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@aargee - is it a top loader or a front loader ? I dont think this problem is there in top loaders.
Sorry Condor - its a top loading. See my post on purchase here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/2021421-post.html AND http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/2017129-post.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Thanks @carboy; I'll read it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
In over 10 years of using a front loader I have yet to come across such a case.
Pls read my post carefully, its only in the recent times (4-5 years); we've been using WM for over 13 years now & this was also a new learning for us. Until then, we always were using small clothes regularly & haven't experienced this issue. May be this is applicable only for larger WM's as this is the first time we settled for 8 Kg, while all these years we haven't crossed 5.5 Kg.

Quote:
We use a powder supplied by IFB service personnel once a year. It is a descaler does an admirable job and costs just 200.
Thanks for sharing this news. We'd bought this one just y'day (priced 150 per packet & comes in a pack of 5 for Rs 750) & weren't quite sure how it performs. Now that you've told, I believe it should be good. We were asked to use once a month if the machine is being used everyday.

Quote:
What your product claims is news for me. I guess if it really worked then desalination plants would have used it instead of reverse osmosis which is quite expensive.
Lets go through the link of carboy, it should clarify our questions.
Old 8th September 2010, 20:39   #1316
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
aargee : - its a top loading.
Must be a problem with the model you have. Our old BPL has never had this problem.
Old 8th September 2010, 20:48   #1317
BHPian

Quote:
That's the reason I asked for the calculation. My top loader runs about an hour for one wash-spin dry cycle. That means 0.575 units per run. 15 Runs a month means less than 9 units.
I think the BEE site (http://220.156.189.23:8080/beeLabel/...rchOptions.jsp) should help us out here. (Not loading for me at the moment). We could compare the power consumption numbers of two 5* rated top and front load models of equal capacity.
Old 8th September 2010, 21:02   #1318
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Must be a problem with the model you have. Our old BPL has never had this problem.
Sir, I once again reiterate, the service person said that this issue of clothes getting struck is w.r.t newer models only, say in last 4-5 years. We too had a BPL, ABS45D, which we never faced any issues. Either the service person is right OR is a problem with 8Kg newer models. Otherwise there isn't any necessity for the wash bags from Whirpool themselves right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopalnayak View Post
I think the BEE site (http://220.156.189.23:8080/beeLabel/...rchOptions.jsp) should help us out here. (Not loading for me at the moment). We could compare the power consumption numbers of two 5* rated top and front load models of equal capacity.
Well, I'd checked this site 2 days ago & as usual our sarkari babus have provided the wattage capacity for everything applicance from fan to A/C, except washing machines
Old 8th September 2010, 21:13   #1319
BHPian

Quote:
I think they're available only in KL & I'm yet to see any of them in Chennai; even the most reputed stores don't have one. An year ago, we were planning to buy a juicer & mixer separately & we were looking for Sujata. Most shops haven't even heard about this & finally we'd to settle for juicer+mixer from Butterfly. It should be easy to get one from KL during one of your trip than from Chennai.
PS - Your choice is good one; you cannot go wrong with Sujata.
I've seen them being used in the Juice shop vendor at our office.(Yes New with box and all) The guys who were there did't know where they got it from.

Yeah I'm thinking of getting one from there it all else fails.
I want a simple blender.
Old 8th September 2010, 21:15   #1320
Distinguished - BHPian

@aargee, actually thanks for that point. Let's see if any one else reports such problems. Since both our WM & fridge are old, there is a thought to replace these with Whirlpools. (they're giving discounts for the company).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks