Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2010, 21:18   #1336
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
But a stabilizier for a WM is something totally unheard.
Older models of WMs have less electronics, like the IFB Elite model that I have. But, these days, WMs have lots of digital circuitry making them vulnerable. Stabilizier may not be a bad idea after all.

Last edited by sbraj : 20th September 2010 at 21:19.
Old 20th September 2010, 21:39   #1337
Distinguished - BHPian

I use a stabilizer with my washing machine.

At least I would, if the WM worked, which it doesn't. It might be terminal this time, but our AC mechanics tease us with news of someone they know who might be able to work on a Bosch machine, but never seem to manage to get hold of him :(
Old 20th September 2010, 21:46   #1338
BANNED

Thad, why dont you try to locate siemens service center? They have machines here, so obviously ought to have service centers too. There is a site for siemens washing machines - turns up as first 2 or 3 in Google.
Old 20th September 2010, 21:51   #1339
Distinguished - BHPian

We tried them last time. They have a large call out charge, and will not actually repair the Bosch machine, even though many of the parts on the inside have "Siemens" plastered all over them! We did get advice from a Siemens guy last time, as a result of which I ordered a replacement "brain" which was expensive even from a cut-price Amazon dealer.

Thanks, anyway
Old 21st September 2010, 08:42   #1340
BANNED

Thad, now I should thank you. I was considering siemens too, a huge service charge means .... they are out of question.
Old 21st September 2010, 09:53   #1341
Senior - BHPian

I bought a LG front loader a few days back. Washes pretty well. Comes with a 10 year warranty for the direct drive motor.
Old 21st September 2010, 14:25   #1342
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Thad, now I should thank you. I was considering siemens too, a huge service charge means .... they are out of question.
It was either 1,000 or 1,500 --- which I guess you'd agree is quite a lot for a call out. Of course, this would be outside warranty.

Buying at this level should mean reliabilty. It should mean that, even after the warranty has expired, the chances of needing a repair are low.

The spare I replaced, by the way, was a substantial part of the cost of the entire machine. List price was over 20,000, although I got it for a lot less. I cannot blame Siemens/Bosch for that failure: British-sold machines are not normally expected to be rat proof.
Old 21st September 2010, 14:48   #1343
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
I bought a LG front loader a few days back. Washes pretty well. Comes with a 10 year warranty for the direct drive motor.
I just wonder whether the premium is worth the 10 year warranty. I have a 8+ year old LG Front Loader, and when the motor went earlier this year it cost me under 3500.

I am looking at this with a personal interest since I believe that the useful life of white good is about 10 years. If I want something to last forever then I will splash out on Miele at 4x or more the price.
Old 21st September 2010, 21:06   #1344
BANNED

Got it!!!

I finally got an LG washer dryer combo machine, 6 KG wash, 3 kg dry. Details of the machine are here.

LG F1203CDP Washer Dryer Combos - 6Kg/3 Kg Inverter Direct Drive Washer Dryer, Blue White Color,Favourite, Intensive Wash, Baby Care, Tub Clean, Mixed, Sports Wear,Night, Cupboard Dry, Iron Dry, Eco dry, Time Dry, Less temperature - LG Electronics IN

This and several other experiences here makes me pray that retailers in Kerala should be treated like the horse here >>

What is frustrating / shocking is that most shops, even those listed on the company's website, do not carry the full range of products.

On this site:-

Compare features and Shopping Online in India for Mobiles, Laptops, LCD TV, Cameras, Home Theaters, PDA, Automobiles and more

the machine is listed at 37,8XX/-. The best deal I got from the dealers in Ernakulam is 40K.

The LG shop offerred 39XXX, but raised the price by 500 when I said that I am paying by card. (1.9% commission, saar!!!). I know what can be done about that, but I was in no mood to walk out; and I had already covered practically all other shops.

That said, most of the dealers were competent and knowledge.

Siemens washer dryer combo was quoted at 60K. Whirlpool was counted out because it does not have a washer dryer combo; and also because the maximum spinning speed is 600 RPM. Ever since I saw the Yeti and TheOne speak about the washer dryer here, (see previous pages), I was hell bent on that.

IFB was not even considered.

There was one new brand - Indesit. Did not cosnider it because it was new, and I have never heard of it. Did hear about somebody's somebody using it with satisfaction. It looked very similar to Haier machines.

Surprise of the pack was Godrej. They had a stunning looking "angle loader". This is a front loader, with the tub at an angle. The Godrej one looked far better built than an identical looking IFB. It was tall built, and the USP seems to be that squatting / stooping over to load clothes can be avoided.

Only gripes about the LG shopp at Kadavanthara is that they were showing audio tracks when I asked for a demo of the Home theater system; and the speakers themselves were not properly laid out (keeping a 5.1 speaker system on a straight line is not the way to demo a surround sound system). But, hey, WTH, I went there to buy a washing machine, right?

10 minutes after reaching home, I hear phut phut of a rick. The washing machine has arrived. One hour later, I get an SMS from LG service, apparently, the request for installation has been registered.

Updates about the installation and demo will have to want for 2 or 3 days, since I will be away.

Yes, I am getting a 10 year warranty on the motor, and a 2 year warranty on the full machine.

Mom instantly did a comparo of the warranty cards of the old IFB and the new machine. She is happy that there is some mention about replacing the machine in case of defects, and says that that phrase is not there in the IFB's version of leglase. As for me, I am in no mood to go into the nitty gritty and small print.

Thanking you all for your patience.
Old 21st September 2010, 21:18   #1345
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I finally got an LG washer dryer combo machine, 6 KG wash, 3 kg dry. Details of the machine are here.
Good choice

Quote:
the machine is listed at 37,8XX/-. The best deal I got from the dealers in Ernakulam is 40K.
How's this possible? Could you help understand?

Quote:
That said, most of the dealers were competent and knowledge.
That's God's own country

Quote:
Surprise of the pack was Godrej.
Yes, I've been looking at them lately; I'm waiting to hear someone's review on those.

Quote:
10 minutes after reaching home, I hear phut phut of a rick. The washing machine has arrived. One hour later, I get an SMS from LG service, apparently, the request for installation has been registered.
That's wonderful to hear; this is the same experience I'd with Whirlpool too. Very professional service. Infact they send a second SMS stating the name of the engineer assigned & give a satisfaction code. If one is happy with the service engineer's quality of work, they need to give him the code (assuming that the service engineer does not know the code). If its not provided, Whirlpool says that they'll give a call back to us asking why the service was not up to the mark.

Quote:
Yes, I am getting a 10 year warranty on the motor, and a 2 year warranty on the full machine.
This is good to hear

Quote:
Thanking you all for your patience.
And Thanks for sharing your experience @BSD.
Old 22nd September 2010, 11:41   #1346
BANNED

I had a Zanussi (premium label of Electrolux) washer/dryer in the UK and brought back to India in 1991.Also, being far from the coast we have used wash only front loaders since that unit packed up.

The reduction of load by 50% for drying is a pain. I may add that a dryer consumes a lot of power (say 3kWh per load).
Old 27th September 2010, 12:53   #1347
Team-BHP Support

Sorry to sound dumb, but what are the features we should look for in buying a microwave oven? Looking to buy one next weekend, and so wanted to educate myself.

Thanks in advance, guys.
Old 27th September 2010, 13:10   #1348
Senior - BHPian

Benny, if you love grilled chicken , get one with the rotisserie. Costs a bit more. If it is purely for basic functions, get a very simple start/stop one.

We had a basic knob type National MW oven which worked flawlessly for more than 12 years.
The LG that I bought after that is always down.
Old 27th September 2010, 13:12   #1349
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, any idea about mixie's ?

Panasonic vs Prestige vs Preethi.

The Pana's also made in India.
Old 27th September 2010, 13:24   #1350
AWD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Sorry to sound dumb, but what are the features we should look for in buying a microwave oven?
Solo Microwave costs ~ 4k.
Micro + Grill ~ 5.5k
+ Convection ~ 8k.
+ rotisserie ~ 12k.

I think Convection should be fine for most of the needs.

Im also looking for one, have shortlisted LG & IFB models. Little wary of IFB after sales service/backup/costs.

@Condor, I recently bought a Philips blender, its superb. Has an Ice crush option too.
Comes with a 2L glass jar & a fruit juice filter.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks