Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2010, 19:39   #1426
Senior - BHPian

Yap - I very well remember about your experience with LG @BSD, but again, this is Chennai. I'd a very good experience with their LCD TV.

Quote:
There is every chance of being dumped with a 2nd quality product for a few hundred rupees less.
Err...@Esteemlover - I doubt there's anything on 2nd quality product; if you mean something like a product manufactured long time ago, then probably that could be the case. But still, its hard to believe.

I live in the outer most of the city limits & still I can only see products dated not more than 2-3 months old.

If you want an excellent service, then, close your eyes & trust Whirlpool, their service rocks!!!

@Thad - There's another option for you - You may want to enquire with Girias Electronics. They also offer damn cheaper like e-zone & this has my experience for over 2 years now. Forgo their gifts & the price will be at par or less than any dealer because they're whole sale distributor for most of the brand in entire TN.
Old 5th October 2010, 20:11   #1427
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
e-zone or croma should be good. personally i wouldn't recommend buying from smaller dealers. There is every chance of being dumped with a 2nd quality product for a few hundred rupees less.
I'd rather buy from a small shop. But in chennai I'd rather not buy anything at all. All shops big and small are just itching to take you for a ride.

False promises - (I'll get the exact model ready in 2 days and it never materializes. Saar no stock saar stock full gone now model stop new model macho price increase. Book now saar. - E-Zone, Shah's)

Sarcasm (Yeah they offer this that and we are in this bussiness for xxx years and if you want you can, but you will be fool to do that) D-uh he just called me a fool. (Vasanth and Co , Shah's,

Idiotic behavior / threats (Example : I'll stop installing the A/C if you don't get the wire from the shop - Viveks)

To simple cheating - 18 month old product dumped on me as "New" - (Vasanth and Co)

Damaged piece sold as "new" - (Murugan Electronics)

Even the exclusive shops are no good and have inflated price tags.
Except Sony they were offering exceptional service if not the price.
Old 5th October 2010, 20:24   #1428
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfrj View Post
False promises - (I'll get the exact model ready in 2 days and it never materializes. Saar no stock saar stock full gone now model stop new model macho price increase. Book now saar. - E-Zone, Shah's)
+100000000...absolutely true & couldn't agree more

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfrj View Post
Except Sony they were offering exceptional service if not the price.
Oh!!! So should I pay Sony for their exceptional service?

Well YZFRJ, I would say, we all know this & why remain ignorant on this? In my last shopping experience with Whirlpool WM from Shah's Anna Nagar, I remained extreme cautious, however, they proved me that I needn't. Their service was exceptionally good. That was the same case with Girias too.

If you think dealers like Vasanth etc are taking us for a ride, then people like Sony India are also doing the same, but with the price. That's all.

I've bought several things over 13 years from Vasanth, Jayam, Chellamani, Girias, Shah's, Thilagam, Sekar & several local players, but remaining cautious is the only key; be it America or India.
Old 5th October 2010, 20:35   #1429
BANNED

sigh!!! I was thinking that Kerala has taken out a patent on lousy retailers!!!
Old 5th October 2010, 20:56   #1430
Senior - BHPian

@BSD - No it is not; IMO, KL is about a decade or more behind Chennai to catch up on many things. Let me give an example.

We'd an IFB in home town that was getting abused (read it as runs for over 10 hours everyday) every single day since the day of purchase for over 3 or 5 years until the warranty got expired. Finally the poor machine couldn't withstand & the drum got bent. Yes, you read it right, the steel drum bent for all the ripping.

The dealer said it would cost about 6K to replace, however, being a small town, they worked upon the labour only. They swapped the drum with a machine that was on warranty & replaced the good drum from the machine that was on warranty with ours. Cost? 1.5K. Tell me, does this happen in Chennai? Unless you're dealer's relative.
Old 5th October 2010, 21:14   #1431
BANNED

But aargee, that is lousiness at its highest!!! What about the other machine's owner??
Old 5th October 2010, 21:18   #1432
BHPian

^^IMO He will get it replaced under warranty.
Old 5th October 2010, 21:45   #1433
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
But aargee, that is lousiness at its highest!!! What about the other machine's owner??
What lousiness? This is how things work in KL, still!!!
The other owner's machine was anyway in warranty, so it was easy for the dealer (he does the servicing too) to get a new one from the company since it was under warranty. You may call win-win situation.

Those things happened in Chennai several years ago, say mid 90's. But I doubt if its still happening now; I don't intent this for one, who's a close friend of the dealer.
Old 5th October 2010, 22:06   #1434
BHPian

Guys! I really need help with a food processor! I need something that can slice dice and shred quick! I do have a juicer and the rest, something thats quick , reliable and not cost the earth ( 4 years of use good enough for me)

Help! I can chop but, would like help as age is catching up!

Ps: MY processor died! thats why all this hurry is all about!
Old 5th October 2010, 22:19   #1435
BANNED

When my car goes for wheel balancing, I would not appreciate that the ECU of my car is swapped with damaged ECU of somebody else, simply because my car is under warranty and other guy's car is not.

Err... I may sue the workshop when if find it; (not IF).
Old 5th October 2010, 22:48   #1436
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaeJay View Post
Guys! I really need help with a food processor! I need something that can slice dice and shred quick! I do have a juicer and the rest, something thats quick , reliable and not cost the earth ( 4 years of use good enough for me)

Help! I can chop but, would like help as age is catching up!

Ps: MY processor died! thats why all this hurry is all about!
I have a Singer, and it is Chinese OEM. It has a large bowl with slow speed drive for chopping, slicing, shredding and kneading. Cost me about 3K after discounts.

Else try and get your processor repaired. Mostly the motor dies, and it can be rewound/replaced easily.
Old 5th October 2010, 23:58   #1437
Distinguished - BHPian

Oh heck, guys... I think I'll go back to hand washing!

And it will be me too: Mrs G doesn't like giving the sheets to maid to wash as she says they are too big.
Old 6th October 2010, 08:04   #1438
Senior - BHPian

@Thad - C'mon, there's nothing to worry on buying WM's. These are just the other side; like we had a discussion once saying, for all the accidents around us, why even the cars were invented? Would that be a fair statement?

Visit Shah's & E-Zone or...Saravana stores
If you still need peace of mind, grab one on the day of Diwali, you'll be assured with a fresh stock. But LG only from an authorized dealer, I mean, not a small time LG dealer.

If you're still skeptical, settle with Siemens; costs a bomb, but, if that gives you peace of mind, cost becomes secondary.
Old 6th October 2010, 08:25   #1439
Senior - BHPian

Guys

My Godrej Microwave (convection - GMX-25CA1) conked off two days back. The heating is absolutely not happening. Had purchased it in Oct 2009 and has developed a problem in the warranty period. The magnetron (which generates the microwaves) has a 3 year warranty.

Had registered a complaint with the customer care and they sent the rep to check. The first day they said that the problem might be with the Magnetron. Yesterday they installed a new unit with Xformer but still no heating happening. The guys are themselves confused and promised they would come back today with some senior guys.

Any idea what might have gone wrong.
Old 6th October 2010, 12:01   #1440
BANNED

Finally, some good news (hopefully)

I called up the LG guys today morning, fully braced up for a verbal duel.

The guy remembered me by my name, and said that the new machine will be installed tomorrow. So, keeping my fingers crossed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Divali offers would be a good idea, but we will be completely tied up with a family wedding for that entire week.
<legpulling mode on>

Washing dirty linen in midst of a happy event is err... emm.. an Indian "norm" <cough> <cough>.

</ legpulling mode>

Quote:
I'd like to go to a shop that is big enough for me to see the whole range,
+1.

Smaller dealers would not have the entire range. Even the so called "chain" stores of KL do not stock the entire range. Sometimes, you will find models which are not found in the manufacturer's site with the dealer.

See this link for an idea of what I am saying. (posted on thread earlier)

Compare features and Shopping Online in India for Mobiles, Laptops, LCD TV, Cameras, Home Theaters, PDA, Automobiles and more

Be prepared to visit 4-5 shops. I would have shortlised one or shops from where I intend to actually buy, and visit them last. if they do not give me the proper price, I walk out.

One question you should watch out for - "when are you buying it". The right answer would be "if you quote the right price, I will take it right away".

Expect 10 to 15% off on the price lised on the company's site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Oh heck, guys... I think I'll go back to hand washing!.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
@Thad - C'mon, there's nothing to worry on buying WM's. These are just the other side;
I am the eternal optmist. And yes, my home too if full of working LG equipment. The monitor I am using right now is 10 years old; the other monitor I have is 5 years old, both LG, and have had to spend only 20 or 25 rupees well outside the warranty period to change some busted capacitor.

Have 3-4 optical drives, mostly LG.

An LG TV, 5 years old, which curiously enough, was stuck by lighting after I got the washing machine.

Quote:
If you're still skeptical, settle with Siemens; costs a bomb, but, if that gives you peace of mind, cost becomes secondary.
If the service & replacement goes through successfully, I will stick with LG. I am yet to look up the model quoted by Thad. If it was not fo the washer/dryer combo, I would have gone in for a model with "NDP" in it, not sure of the exact number.

Here is another strategy you can consider. Talk to the guy to whom you have given the present machine on which machine / model has best spare availablity. Chances are that it will be a brand which is soruced from China. Settle for it.

Godrej, Whirlpool, Indesit <something - cannot remember the exact name>. Would cost about about 2/3 of similar spec machines from other brands, have good service network for in warranty service and out warranty service can be taken care of by the guy next door. Just make sure that the guy next door certifies good part availability.

Most Viewed