Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2010, 20:08   #1531
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post
I was looking at this fridge Samsung 230L . Frost free with 230 Liters. For 15k, i'd say it seems decent. Any particular features I should be looking out for while choosing a fridge? How is Samsung when it comes to home appliances?
Well, not sure; I only have an A/C from Samsung & by God's grace, we didn't require any service from Samsung so far. Anyway, we found their installation person to be more than prompt when it came to installation. Infact, we purchased the A/C at 13:35 & we got this working at 16:00 the same day. Not sure if their service is also like this. May be some one else can comment. I'm soon to join this band wagon soon

Quote:
For the washing machine, I was looking at this one, by Whirlpool. Capacity is 6.5 Kg's. Fully auto, top loading for 14k. Although, the tub is mentioned as plastic. This model has a twin, with a stainless steel tub. For just 1k more.
Whirlpool's 1-2-3 model is one of their successful series. Couple of months ago, we bought this model. I would say their service rocks & this is the same experience with their refrigerator too. Prompt & professional service everytime.

Quote:
Does it matter much, whether the tub is plastic or stainless steel?
Well, here're few important points that you may want to consider
1. If you're living in a water scarcity area, you may want to consider buying a front loader instead of top loader
2. If the number of clothes are about 15-17 then 6.5 Kg is ideal one. But if its more then you need to buy higher capacity
3. Buy a steel drum ONLY if you opt to use heater otherwise its useless. We're not using the heater till date since our purchase. But if we intent to use in future, we shouldn't feel the pinch on Rs 1000 & hence we decided to go for the top of the line.
4. These days maintainence has become a hell & manufacturers are cashing on that too. You WILL have to buy these things in addition; but again, this is applicable to any brand including IFB.
Accessory Page
Accessory Page
Accessory Page
Old 25th October 2010, 20:52   #1532
BANNED

Shashank - most of MW issues are already discussed in earlier pages; too bad most of it is spread out over several pages.

I feel there should be a difference between "scarcity of water" and "lack of running water". Front loaders are generally stingy on water consumption. But always require running water. Top loaders are water and power guzzlers, but will happily accept water and clothes thrown in even during wash cycles. Of course, running water is required if you want them to run un attended.

Since low end top loaders are available for a little less than 10K, I would not suggest a semi automatic, unless you are on a really, really right budget.

You WILL require hot water for extremely soiled clothes / kids clothes.
Old 25th October 2010, 23:51   #1533
BHPian

Thanks a ton aargee and BaCkSeAtDrIVeR for the crisp and precise explanation. Much appreciated .

Well, the area where I live, doesn't suffer from any water crisis. And neither do I have to pay much for electricity. So I don't really have an issue with getting a top loader. Besides, this washing machine will be used mostly on weekends to clean up a whole bunch of t-shirts, formal shirts and a couple of not-so-dirty pair of jeans. But I don't understand what big advantage front loading washing machines provide. So I am guessing I will stick to a top loading fully auto model for now. Maybe later when I'm rolling in dough, I might consider some fancy washing machine.

So, any more thoughts about any other model/brand? What about the fridge? Any specific recommendations? Have decided that these purchases will be made during New Year's eve. Have seen the stores around here offer quite a decent bit of discount on electronic stuff round that time of the year.

Do leave your valuable comments folks. Thanks again
Old 26th October 2010, 00:22   #1534
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, the area where I live, doesn't suffer from any water crisis. And neither do I have to pay much for electricity.

Quote:
But I don't understand what big advantage front loading washing machines provide.
Your quote at the top lists the most obvious advantages of the front loader apart from the others in that it will allow fabric softner to be added, is quieter in operation, is usually more relaible than a top loader and more often than not will have the option of a heater as standard attachment.

Quote:
Maybe later when I'm rolling in dough, I might consider some fancy washing machine.
The front loader is not a fancy machine just better designed and more efficient compared to the top loader deign, all the more reason to buy this one to save money in the long run.
Old 26th October 2010, 09:54   #1535
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
the front loader ...... is usually more relaible than a top loader
There is no reason for it to be more reliable than an equally well built top loader, --- it should be just the opposite since it is a more complex design. Repair costs can be higher for the same reason.

Quote:
The front loader is not a fancy machine just better designed and more efficient compared to the top loader deign, all the more reason to buy this one to save money in the long run.
Do keep in mind that it requires the most expensive detergent there is.

Plus, compared to an agitator machine (only Whirlpool in India), the clothes will come out in a wrinkled, jumbled mess (it is far better than the pulsator types in this respect, however, and far gentler on the clothes to boot). Also, to my experience, it doesn't clean larger items (like bedsheets) as well as an agitator does. Perhaps front loaders work better with better detergents than are available in the Indian market.
Old 26th October 2010, 11:24   #1536
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
4. These days maintainence has become a hell & manufacturers are cashing on that too. You WILL have to buy these things in addition; but again, this is applicable to any brand including IFB.
Accessory Page
Accessory Page
Accessory Page
No, you don't. I have a LG Washing Machine for 5 1/2 years now & I haven't bought any of these things. The magnetic stuff especially looks like a scam.
Old 26th October 2010, 12:33   #1537
BANNED

meerkat - here is a top secret, served to you upfront. (no pun intended). Please take care to spread the word far and wide.

I use home made detergent in my front loader, with decent results. The actual job is done by my sister, who learnt it from the KVIC (Khadi board), and the shop selling the raw materials is pretty close by.

Once we found that too much frothing would cause problems in WMs (both mine and the top loader Godrej I gifted to her at her home), she tinkered with forumla to retuce the froth.

The raw materials are available as a kit here. (Ernakulam, near Indian Express, Kaloor, and few other shops in Broadway).
Old 26th October 2010, 12:47   #1538
BHPian

^^ Pls share more details with us.
Old 26th October 2010, 13:22   #1539
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But I don't understand what big advantage front loading washing machines provide. I am guessing I will stick to a top loading fully auto model for now. Maybe later when I'm rolling in dough, I might consider some fancy washing machine.
It's quite simple really.

Front Loaders: Low Water Consumption + Heater Facility (hot water wash)

Top Loaders: High Water Consumption (Relatively Lower Electricity Consumption)
Old 26th October 2010, 13:41   #1540
BANNED

archat - let me see; it my sister who has the details. The bottom line is this - raw materials costing about INR200 provides about 5 KG detergent.
Old 26th October 2010, 13:58   #1541
BHPian

Folks, I'm looking to buy a refrigerator (~300ltr range) and in confusion about whether to opt for LG or Samsung.

Both these have 5 star rating, but what I did observe is that samsung seems to be more spacious when the same capacity refrigerators are compared. Also, the build quality seems more robust compared to LG. I have no clue about whether these companies manufacture their own compressors or source it elsewhere.

Any pointers or if you guys own any of these brands can throw some more light will help me finalise.
Thanks!
Old 26th October 2010, 14:21   #1542
BHPian

@BSD
Waiting for further input.......
Old 26th October 2010, 15:28   #1543
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalcruiser View Post
Folks, I'm looking to buy a refrigerator (~300ltr range) and in confusion about whether to opt for LG or Samsung.
Do you have any budget in mind when you are deciding for refrigerators? If not then I would like to suggest you check out Hitachi 3 door fridges. Fanatastic cooling, good space, separate chiller and vegeatble compartments. I think you will get the 300+ lts for a decent 30K.
Old 26th October 2010, 15:36   #1544
BANNED

@royalcruiser: I have a couple of LG systems one 300+ and another 400+. Had the former for 11+ and the latter for 8+ years . No issues with either.
Old 26th October 2010, 15:40   #1545
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalcruiser View Post

Both these have 5 star rating, but what I did observe is that samsung seems to be more spacious when the same capacity refrigerators are compared. Also, the build quality seems more robust compared to LG. I have no clue about whether these companies manufacture their own compressors or source it elsewhere.

Any pointers or if you guys own any of these brands can throw some more light will help me finalise.
Thanks!
I am using a Samsung 345 lts fridge for the last 1.5 years, no issues till date. The build quality is quite good. I personally feel that both brands are more or less at par.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks