Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2010, 19:21   #1576
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Folks about to pick a WM now which one should i choose? i was keen on samsung "AG" which is about 15k but one of my fried told that Samsung top loading machines have issue...

Does it make sense to go for top loading machines when we can get the front loaers for about 18-19k?

Suggestions please...
This is a repost of an earlier post, Top Loader Vs Front Loaders, having used both, Samsung and IFB respectively.

Top Loaders

- Needs more water
- Can use any detergent you want
- Washes better due to ample water for wash and no restriction on stonger detergent.
- Small wash cycle overall
- Good for your back
- Will use less electricity due to smaller wash cycles.
- Flexibility to add/ remove clothes inbetween a cycle.
- You can remove your clothes for manual washing incase of long power blackouts
- Lesser weight, easier to move around and shift.

Front loaders
- Needs lesser water for all cycles.
- Availabilty of heater is a big plus point specially in colder areas.
- Need specific detergents for front loader (low sud), otherwise expect a sud fountain out of the door.
- Washing can be compromised if you overload the machine, due to low levels of water used for wash and movement of clothes gets restricted, it relies on rubbing of clothes(friction) with each other for washing and cleaning.
- Long wash cycles, needs more time for overall washing to complete.
- Most need permanent plumbing and are quite heavy to move.
- It can pump water upto 2-3 ft high for draining
- Costs more to buy, more to maintain.

@lolithrao, my Samsung is working fine for 5 years now, not touched by any A.S.S person.
Old 2nd November 2010, 19:58   #1577
BHPian

Dadu, which one makes more noise and vibration? Front Loading or Top Loading ?
Old 2nd November 2010, 19:58   #1578
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu
Availabilty of heater is a big plus point specially in colder areas
Most need permanent plumbing
^^^ are applicable even for top loaders. Ours is Whirlpool top loader that has built in heater.

Add to that one more point, the front loaders are elegant & the top portion can be used for decoration like placing flower vase etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamhegde View Post
Front Loading or Top Loading ?
Naturally, the front loading because of their higher RPM rates compared to the top loaders that have lesser RPM's.

Last edited by aargee : 2nd November 2010 at 20:00.
Old 2nd November 2010, 22:21   #1579
Team-BHP Support

My IFB washing machine, which is a front loading has been leaking from the bottom since the past few days during the washing operation. Initially, i thought it was because the filter at the bottom was clogged, which it was and i cleaned it. I then put it back, but the leaking hasnt stopped.

Anyone has any idea what i would need to check? Or it wiser to call the service guy, rather than indulge in some DIY?
Old 2nd November 2010, 22:36   #1580
Distinguished - BHPian

Benny, Any chance of seeing where the leak is from ?

Can you replicate the leak by just putting in some water (start wash cycle and pause it ) ?
Old 2nd November 2010, 22:40   #1581
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashank.A View Post
Does anyone have any experience with Morphy Richards ?

I am thinking about this : Morphy Richards India - Microwave Ovens - MWO 20G

I guess there is no consensus on the forum on reliable home appliances brands. Seems all brands have mixed reviews..
My personal opinion, go for LG range of Microwaves, service & reliability is good.Have a 21L model which is almost 12 yrs old, & so far the only issue was with a blown fuse due to an excess surge of input voltage.
Old 2nd November 2010, 23:26   #1582
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post

Front loaders
-
-
- .... it relies on rubbing of clothes(friction) with each other for washing and cleaning.
No it doesn't! There is too little relative movement between clothes for that. The top loaders rely on rubbing, not the front loaders, which just lift the clothes up and drop them. So it is a tumbling/thumping action --- similar in effect to how a dhobi washes, only it is much gentler, and so, unlike the dhobi, it relies much more on better detergents for an effective wash.

It was funny to look at the Croma website for washing machine comparison. It's apparently a mindless copy-and-paste job from some US site. So it informs us: Agitators are "by far the most common type of top loaders". Whereas in India there is a single brand of agitator machines -- Whirlpool.
Old 3rd November 2010, 00:46   #1583
BANNED

benbsb, I am changing my IFB because of the leak issue; the service centre cannot trace it. But, if you get a solution, please keep us posted.

One area of suspicion is the place from where detergetnt is taken. Mine has rust in this area.
Old 3rd November 2010, 10:53   #1584
Senior - BHPian

Thanks folks for all the inputs!

I picked "LG fuzzy logic" 6.5kg, it costed me 14k...

Will come back with the review soon...
Old 3rd November 2010, 11:10   #1585
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Benny, Any chance of seeing where the leak is from ?

Can you replicate the leak by just putting in some water (start wash cycle and pause it ) ?
Parwath, the issue seems similar to what BSD has mentioned below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
benbsb, I am changing my IFB because of the leak issue; the service centre cannot trace it. But, if you get a solution, please keep us posted.

One area of suspicion is the place from where detergetnt is taken. Mine has rust in this area.
BSD, you seem to have the exact same issue.
This is definitely from where the detergent is taken, because the first time this happened, the water which came out was totally soapy, meaning it had just retrieved the detergent from the tray.

I hope its not a major issue and just some piping gone astray. The machine is currently under Extended Warranty, so keeping my fingers crossed.

I have raised a message from the IFB website, and will wait for them to send across someone to check.
Old 3rd November 2010, 12:17   #1586
Senior - BHPian

@BSD - I know you're a DIY guy, but you don't have IFB or did you get the LG replaced with the IFB?

Anyway, @BSD & @Ben - Here're some pointers w.r.t leaks in dispenser - DIY washing machine repairs (Part 4).

The IFB service guys may or may not turn effective, as I see similar issues all over the net with IFB. Here's one sample - IFB Washing machine repair

Sorry about the OT
Old 4th November 2010, 02:04   #1587
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicha View Post
My personal opinion, go for LG range of Microwaves, service & reliability is good.Have a 21L model which is almost 12 yrs old, & so far the only issue was with a blown fuse due to an excess surge of input voltage.
Having bought an LG microwave couple of months ago, my only gripe is about the build quality - panels, body, door aren't perfectly aligned. Also, the touch panel is not quite totally flat... it is kinda uneven. Its not something major or extremely apparent, but it pisses me off every time I look at it. Also, looks are ordinary when compared to the competition.

IMO, Samsungs have better build quality and look better too. You would also get a ceramic coated cavity. Whats more, prices of same capacity oven of both are almost similar.
Old 4th November 2010, 10:59   #1588
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
My IFB washing machine, which is a front loading has been leaking from the bottom since the past few days during the washing operation. Initially, i thought it was because the filter at the bottom was clogged, which it was and i cleaned it. I then put it back, but the leaking hasnt stopped.
Most probable reason is the gasket around the filter. Clean the gasket of any lint and screw it in tight.
The line from filter goes to the pump and exit pipe line. Leakage can happen any where in the line. Just open the top and rear panels, and run the machine. You will be able to see the leakage points. Tighten the pipe clamps and your problem should be solved.
The only other major leakage point id the drum bearing, which has a very low chance.
Old 4th November 2010, 11:36   #1589
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Having bought an LG microwave couple of months ago, my only gripe is about the build quality - panels, body, door aren't perfectly aligned. Also, the touch panel is not quite totally flat... it is kinda uneven. Its not something major or extremely apparent, but it pisses me off every time I look at it. Also, looks are ordinary when compared to the competition.

IMO, Samsungs have better build quality and look better too. You would also get a ceramic coated cavity. Whats more, prices of same capacity oven of both are almost similar.
I got samsung for my parents and LG for myself around same time 4 years back. Samsung went for repairs two times, My LG is rock solid without any repairs. Worst part of Samsung is their pathetic service, They told some part is gone, and its not available anymore, so sell this to us for some small price and get new. When i wrote letters to higher ups after coustomer service used to just transfer my call the same service center which was duping, finally they suddenly got parts and got repaired. Customer service is useless in samsung, they just pass your car to same service center even though you are complaining about them itself, how non-sense.

And paint job in my LG looks better than the so called ceramic in samsung which has become very dull, just a gimmick nothing else

Last edited by shamanth : 4th November 2010 at 11:38.
Old 4th November 2010, 15:01   #1590
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post

Anyone has any idea what i would need to check? Or it wiser to call the service guy, rather than indulge in some DIY?
Can you see the leakage from the the filter mouth, if not then another place it can leak is from the heater coil, its at the bottom of the drum and after rusting can leak.

better to call the service guys, they will open up the back and check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat View Post
No it doesn't! There is too little relative movement between clothes for that. The top loaders rely on rubbing, not the front loaders, which just lift the clothes up and drop them. So it is a tumbling/thumping action --- similar in effect to how a dhobi washes, only it is much gentler, and so, unlike the dhobi, it relies much more on better detergents for an effective wash.
I agree its tumbling action, but with less water its the friction generated during tumbling and trhowing them against the inner drum which does the cleaning. In top loaders, its like washing your clothes in bucket full of water, which is mostly the water pressure generated, not friction.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks