Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2010, 12:35   #1711
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
You are still only half way there
- Why replace it when LEDs become more affordable?

IMHO, it needs replacement only when
- it breaks down
Or
- you have enough HD content to watch which looks better on a LCD/LED.

CRT renders non-HD stuff much better than LCD.
Have never used a LCD yet, so couple of questions - LCD's come in 16:9 aspect ratios and CRTs in 3:4, right? Or do they make CRTs in 16:9 ratio too?

One of my gripes with CRTs is the 4:3 aspect ratio means that much of the content appears with large black area on top and bottom (so that the whole image can fit) which is a criminal waste of screen real estate.

I assume that does not happen with LCDs right?

Furthermore, I was shocked to hear from both the Onida technicians who visited our place that LCDs last only upto 2 or at the very max 3 years. This is like their rated life span and the period after which they may break down! CRTs inherently have much longer life spans. Further the PCB of CRTs an be repaired, whereas for LCDs they just have to replace them, which of course costs much more. Are these statements true? If yes, then I would definitely not be inclined to spend so much on a larger screen LCD tv that can only be expected to last 2 - 3 years.

Last edited by Raccoon : 1st December 2010 at 12:37.
Old 1st December 2010, 12:52   #1712
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Furthermore, I was shocked to hear from both the Onida technicians who visited our place that LCDs last only upto 2 or at the very max 3 years. This is like their rated life span and the period after which they may break down!
Not true at all.

Maybe they were telling you information specific to Onida LCDs :-)
Or maybe they were expert CRT technicians who were upset at seeing all the years they spent acquiring this expertise go down the drain.
Old 1st December 2010, 13:44   #1713
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now the Onida guy...if they refund the charges already paid. He refused.
This is clearly depicting the attitude of dumping!!! I hope you're still considering giving them another chance

Quote:
Have never used a LCD yet, so couple of questions
Have been into LCD, last 3 years; bang value for money; go for it or the latest LED technology. But I don't know what's superior other than the picture quality. LCD can recieve HD inputs too, so if you're looking based on needs, LCD is just right. But on long term basis & technology outdate factors, settle for LED.

Quote:
LCD's come in 16:9 aspect ratios and CRTs in 3:4, right? Or do they make CRTs in 16:9 ratio too?
Putting it in black & white - you can change the aspect ratio using the remote.

Quote:
which is a criminal waste of screen real estate.
Nothing to worry on this; just ensure you pick up the one has highest contrast ratio; for instance 50000:1 is much better than 15000:1.

Quote:
Furthermore, I was shocked...upto 2 or at the very max 3 years.
Yes, might be true for Onida products; I've bought mine during mid Oct 2007.

Quote:
This is like their rated life span...last 2 - 3 years.
Yes its true that the most expensive part is the LCD panel & that the only part to conk off in LCD TV. But again, 3 years is less, it SHOULD last atleast 5+ years.
Old 1st December 2010, 14:03   #1714
BHPian

An LCD or Plasma tv is rated for the hours that it would last, and a typical LCD or Plasma tv is expected to last for around 50k to 60k hours. Divide that number by the number of hours you would watch it every day, and you get the general life of the tv. Even if we take the lower end of the statistic and assume that it is on for all 24 hrs a day (which it might not be), it should still last for almost 6 years!

But all that would obviously depend on the Quality Control that our Indian manufacturers tend to devote to their products.
Old 1st December 2010, 14:12   #1715
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Not true at all.

Maybe they were telling you information specific to Onida LCDs :-)
Or maybe they were expert CRT technicians who were upset at seeing all the years they spent acquiring this expertise go down the drain.
Lol, good answer. I'v been checking it up. Here is one excerpt -

Quote:
Screen life is measured in hours. An average lifespan of an ordinary LCD screen may be 40,000 hours, for instance. The wider the screen and the way it is lit will influence how many hours the screen will function correctly. LCD life spans range from 30,000 to 60,000 hours, enough for several decades worth of TV watching and generally plenty of time before the wear becomes noticeable. Most LCD screens are replaced because of technological advancement rather than because they reached the end of their lifespan, though a screen left on throughout the day may be need to be replaced.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
This is clearly depicting the attitude of dumping!!! I hope you're still considering giving them another chance
Well, what do you suggest I do? Press for a refund by escalating with Onida and buy a new tv? Please lemme have the contact numbers/email ids, if you think so.

Quote:
Putting it in black & white - you can change the aspect ratio using the remote

I don't think my current Onida supports changing aspect ratio... but will check. Anyway, how would it even help?? Watching a widescreen movie on 3:4 screen is bound to result in wasted screen areas.

Quote:
Yes its true that the most expensive part is the LCD panel & that the only part to conk off in LCD TV. But again, 3 years is less, it SHOULD last atleast 5+ years.
If the excerpt I posted above is true, then even 5+ years is way too less.
Old 1st December 2010, 14:32   #1716
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Have been into LCD, last 3 years; bang value for money; go for it or the latest LED technology. But I don't know what's superior other than the picture quality. LCD can recieve HD inputs too, so if you're looking based on needs, LCD is just right. But on long term basis & technology outdate factors, settle for LED.
The issue is by the time LEDs become affordable by my standards, there would be something else.. maybe 3D?
Old 1st December 2010, 14:47   #1717
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
3 years; bang value for money; go for it or the latest LED technology. But I don't know what's superior other than the picture quality.
Whose picture quality is better?
Are you comparing LCD with CRT or LCD with LED or LED with CRT?

Because I don't believe LCD is better than CRT.

There was a discussion in the LCD thread about this.

Check this post & posts one page before & after it.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post1547114
Old 1st December 2010, 15:00   #1718
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't think my current Onida supports changing aspect ratio...
Err...I was talking about LCD TV & changing the aspect ratio.

Quote:
If the excerpt I posted above is true, then even 5+ years is way too less.
Yes its true & 5+ years is too less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
The issue is by the time LEDs become affordable by my standards, there would be something else.. maybe 3D?
Well, I thought 3D requires the transmission signals also to be in 3D isn't it or does the TV has the capability to transform the digital signals to 3D ?
Old 1st December 2010, 15:18   #1719
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gill View Post
Called local office (Chandigarh) of Siemens, they passed me to Delhi office as Chd office doesn't stocks WMs. After calling 4 different guys, finally I was told that, I need to drive to Delhi to buy the Machine and Service of machine shall be paid and I have to take care of traveling expenses of guy coming from Delhi. Siemens is out of consideration, as they are too demanding.
I was quoted following prices for LG WM:-
F8068LDP-18.8K
F1068LDP-20.7K
F1056LDP-22.6K
Have to pick one out of these. Do suggest.
1056 has Fault Diagnosis and Remaining Time Delay, White & Bulky wash program, Bio where as F1068 doesn’t have these features, Spin speed is same for both the models.
1068 has higher spin speed (1000>800) then 8068, rest all is same among two.
Need to buy it in evening, I am leaning towards F1068, but heart says 1056.Wish it was easier to pick.
Old 1st December 2010, 17:31   #1720
Senior - BHPian

^^
My colleague bought 1056LDP from PAI Bangalore for 21500.
Old 1st December 2010, 18:33   #1721
AWD
BHPian

How are Samsung Microwaves & how is their after sales service/backup?
Im keen on their Convection + rotisserie model.
Old 1st December 2010, 19:39   #1722
Senior - BHPian

^^^MWs including Samsung have been discussed before dude... people have varying opinions about them. Please search.
Old 1st December 2010, 22:39   #1723
BHPian

Can I use an 'AC only' stabiliser for normal household electrical load?

Bringing up a slightly old topic. I have got this 4kva Bluebird voltage stabiliser, the type most commonly used with ACs. The front panel description is: "IC controlled electronic voltage corrector" and "specially designd for Air Conditioner only". Now, note the words "for AC only".

This is important because I want to put it ahead of my home inverter, so all electrical load on my inverter circuit will pass through this stabiliser. This will include lights, TV, PC, music system, etc. Can there be any harm in using this 'for AC only' stabiliser for normal home appliance loads?

I need to do this because in case of high voltage the home inverter (APC) cuts off mains supply and provide power from battery. In case it helps, the bluebird stabiliser specs are: input 170 to 280 volts, output 195 to 245 volts.

Any input will be appreciated.

Last edited by Guite : 1st December 2010 at 22:42.
Old 2nd December 2010, 00:07   #1724
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
Bringing up a slightly old topic. I have got this 4kva Bluebird voltage stabiliser, the type most commonly used with ACs. The front panel description is: "IC controlled electronic voltage corrector" and "specially designd for Air Conditioner only". Now, note the words "for AC only".

This is important because I want to put it ahead of my home inverter, so all electrical load on my inverter circuit will pass through this stabiliser. This will include lights, TV, PC, music system, etc. Can there be any harm in using this 'for AC only' stabiliser for normal home appliance loads?

I need to do this because in case of high voltage the home inverter (APC) cuts off mains supply and provide power from battery. In case it helps, the bluebird stabiliser specs are: input 170 to 280 volts, output 195 to 245 volts.

Any input will be appreciated.
The stabiliser for AC has a timer which will delay the start of the supply for about 5-10 minutes! That means when power supply is restored after a power interruption, the inverter will need to keep working for that extra time. Thats the only issue I can think of!
Old 2nd December 2010, 07:09   #1725
BHPian

Guite: That wont be a problem, but like Abes said it has a timer. if there is power cut for more than 10 minutes and when the power comes, the stabilizer will come on pretty fast, but if the power cut is less than 10 minutes, the stabilizer will take about 10 minutes to power on.

And also 4kva AC stabilizer cannot support 4kva. They can only take 4kva initial load. It seems like you have less household load. So that wont be a problem.

Most importantly you will see a steep hike in your current bill

Most Viewed