Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2010, 07:13   #1726
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipz View Post

Most importantly you will see a steep hike in your current bill
Why is that?. Can you please explain. Thank you.
Old 2nd December 2010, 10:31   #1727
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
How are Samsung Microwaves & how is their after sales service/backup?
Im keen on their Convection + rotisserie model.
I have two, one seven years old and another two years old. Both have been performing flawlessly. A friend has the rotisserie model. If you plan to do chicken in it please get a large one as a 1kg chicken even when trussed up does not fit in a medium sized one. For that I have a gas range - 2'x2'x2'.
Old 2nd December 2010, 10:49   #1728
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gill View Post
Need to buy it in evening, I am leaning towards F1068, but heart says 1056.Wish it was easier to pick.
Have no worry, LG is better than Siemens in India. Their service is outstanding and far better than a 'chi-chi' company like Siemens in India can ever manage. What is the point in buying German if they don't even have proper service backup. And if I am correct their WMs imported to India may no longer be imported from europe but from their recently opened Chinese plant.
Old 2nd December 2010, 10:56   #1729
AWD
BHPian

Thanks Aroy, after witnessing IFB's poor a.s.s. & L.G's low built quality, Im inclined towards Samsung. As I do not have much knowledge about Samsung product because never bought any, so I was concerned about its servicing standards.

Yes I intend to do Non-Veg. cooking & because only I shall be using the MW, going in for a bigger capacity would be a waste. I think Rotisserie models start from 28L, which should be ok.
Old 2nd December 2010, 11:01   #1730
Senior - BHPian

LG's forte is Washing Machines and Refrigerators and LCD monitors. Samsung seems to be better as far as Microwaves go. In LCD TV's LG is far ahead with it's IPS panels than Samsung. Amongst the Koreans it seems no brand is uniform across all the segments. Again as far as mobile phones go, Samsung is ahead . .
Old 2nd December 2010, 11:03   #1731
Senior - BHPian

Hey people!

I am looking to purchase a room heater. What types are available, and which ones would do the job without killing my lungs?
What sort of a price range am I looking at and can they be bought at Croma?

Thanks!
Old 2nd December 2010, 11:23   #1732
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
Hey people!

I am looking to purchase a room heater. What types are available, and which ones would do the job without killing my lungs?
What sort of a price range am I looking at and can they be bought at Croma?

Thanks!
There are the filament types where the heating element radiates or blows heat out. These are relatively inexpensive but cost more to run.
Then there are oil types, where the element heats oil, and heat is radiated through fins. These are more expensive to buy, but are more economical as they have a thermostat and maintain an even heat.
Third type are heaters fitted to air conditioners. They are similar to the direct heat types, with AC acting as a blower and thermostat.

I do not think that heater kill lungs. What they do is to decrease the relative humidity, hence apparent dryness. You can overcome this by supplying moisture - keep water in a bowl/bucket.

The absolute humidity is low in cold dry weather and raising temparature while keeping absolute humidity same, decrease relative humidity.
Old 2nd December 2010, 12:26   #1733
BHPian

Thank you Abes and Chipz for the responses. I was not able to get 3 - 4 kva normal stabiliser in the market. So I will have to live with the slight timer delay then.

I am infact currently using a 2kva normal stabiliser, which is probably a bit low for lights, TV, fans, amplifier, etc running simultaneously. I am now planning to shift this 2kva to do exclusive duty for the washing machine.

I had read about potential increase in power bill in this thread itself, but haven't checked the bill myself. Home/finance ministry takes care of that, I am just revenue minister.
Old 2nd December 2010, 13:13   #1734
BHPian

It would be more beneficial if you have a good quality sine wave UPS. It will have voltage stabilizer too. Modern equipments have SMPS (Switch Mode Power Supply) and the range of input voltage is more. Hence this is also an added advantage.
Old 2nd December 2010, 14:01   #1735
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvhplyevraftr View Post
Why is that?. Can you please explain. Thank you.
Low voltage = Increased current = increased rotation of meter = increased bill. When using 1 kva stepup, my house has a 500 rs increase in bill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
I was not able to get 3 - 4 kva normal stabiliser in the market. So I will have to live with the slight timer delay then.

I am infact currently using a 2kva normal stabiliser, which is probably a bit low for lights, TV, fans, amplifier, etc running simultaneously. I am now planning to shift this 2kva to do exclusive duty for the washing machine.
3 to 4 kva home stabilizer is easily available in the market. Is your stepup the wall mountable one. The load you said can be easily handled by a 2kva. you can use about 20 tubelight and 20 fan in a 2 kva (just approximate value)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogeshnaik View Post
It would be more beneficial if you have a good quality sine wave UPS. It will have voltage stabilizer too. Modern equipments have SMPS (Switch Mode Power Supply) and the range of input voltage is more. Hence this is also an added advantage.
This is also a good option. Some sinewave ups works up to as low as 120 volt.
Old 2nd December 2010, 15:08   #1736
naj
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mura View Post
If you are getting a Plasma + a serious HT setup with AVR and Powered Subwoofer get a 3 or 5 KVA Servo Stabiliser. Do NOT get electronic/CVT type stabilisers and do NOT Connect them to your home inverter.
A 3Kva unit will cost you any thing up to 10k.
instead there are quite a few products available which protects the whole house against voltage fluctuations. If you are spending so much for a stand alone unit just look at house guard products which may fall in the same price range.

vguard stabilizers are ok. I am presently using the a Vguard 800 VA for my HT and it is doing its job fine.

Cheers,
naj
Old 2nd December 2010, 16:02   #1737
BHPian

How come CVTs and Digital voltage regulators arent recommended ?
I thought servo stabilizers were old tech and had been replaced by CVTs.
Old 2nd December 2010, 19:15   #1738
BHPian

Nothing is old tech. everything used one way or other.

It all depends on advantage and disadvantage. Servo has delay in stepping up with steep voltage fluctuantion, whereas digital stabilizers dont. same is the case with cvt's.

digital stabilizer has steep voltage increase or decrease, up to about +25 v. whereas servo can regulate with +/-10 v depending on model.

One has to choose depending on the location.
Old 2nd December 2010, 23:18   #1739
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogeshnaik View Post
The inverter I use is sine wave. I have tried putting an UPS ahead of the inverter, and it was not a good exprience. Picture this:- light goes off in the middle of the night and the UPS goes beep beep beep beep .... Moreover technically I am not sure whether the household electical load is drawn from UPS battery or inverter battery incase of power failure. I imagine it would not be an ideal situation if it is from UPS battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipz View Post
Low voltage = Increased current = increased rotation of meter = increased bill. When using 1 kva stepup, my house has a 500 rs increase in bill.
The problem in our area is mostly that of too high voltage (~250V). So we haven't noticed any increase in power bill.

Quote:
3 to 4 kva home stabilizer is easily available in the market. Is your stepup the wall mountable one. The load you said can be easily handled by a 2kva. you can use about 20 tubelight and 20 fan in a 2 kva (just approximate value).
Yes, its those wall mount type. 2kva = 2000w @ 80% power factor will support about 2000x0.8 = 1600w. 20 tubelights @ 36w and 20 fans @ 75w = 2220w. Anyway that's my understanding, I am not an electrical engineer.
Old 3rd December 2010, 01:59   #1740
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
I was not able to get 3 - 4 kva normal stabiliser in the market. So I will have to live with the slight timer delay then.
In case you are still looking for one the links below will give you the contact details for Logicstat the company as well as their dealers in Noida.

About Us - Contact Us @ Logicstat.com

and

Dealers List for Automatic Voltage Stabilizers - Logicstat

Most Viewed