Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2011, 19:45   #1876
BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Anyone using air purifiers? Are they really useful and worth the investment?
Old 28th January 2011, 00:45   #1877
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayc View Post
Anyone using air purifiers? Are they really useful and worth the investment?
After having run through various types of purifiers including the electric and battery operated ones I found that a can of 'My Shaldon' works best. Essentially a car purifier at 299/- a pop the can left open since before Diwali has kept my flat smelling fresh. It is still going on though on its last legs now.

What ever you buy, do not get the battery operated ones from Airwick. Their refills are never available and one is stuck with the empty machines hanging around. I have one of those in each room but that one single can has them beat.
Old 28th January 2011, 03:33   #1878
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
After having run through various types of purifiers including the electric and battery operated ones I found that a can of 'My Shaldon' works best. Essentially a car purifier at 299/- a pop the can left open since before Diwali has kept my flat smelling fresh. It is still going on though on its last legs now.
That's an air freshener. I think he is asking about a purifier - like a HEPA filter. A freshener doesn't purify air - i.e. remove pollutants, allergents etc.
Old 28th January 2011, 08:24   #1879
BHPian

Khoj@, like carboy pointed out I am on the lookout for Room Air Purifiers, those having HEPA filters/ionizer/ozone etc etc.
Old 28th January 2011, 22:51   #1880
Senior - BHPian

Oh sorry, the vagaries of posting at a late hour. Well so you are referring to the thingys that dole out negative ions which cancel out the positive ions (or is it the other way round) thus ensuring good quality air in a closed environment. Well I did get one of these too, eons ago made by CG if I recall correctly. Well currently, I do not know whether it is in the storage or has been discarded, so that should give you some idea. Then again someone else might have had a better experience.
Ciao
Old 28th January 2011, 23:26   #1881
Distinguished - BHPian

I never knew what to make of those, and I still don't. Science or fad? Scientific or not, do they do anything worth while?
Old 29th January 2011, 04:02   #1882
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Oh sorry, the vagaries of posting at a late hour. Well so you are referring to the thingys that dole out negative ions which cancel out the positive ions (or is it the other way round) thus ensuring good quality air in a closed environment.
Again, that's only one of the things he is referring to - the ion stuff isn't really the proven kind of purifier. The proven kind is a HEPA filter.

HEPA - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The ionizer is still not fully accepted
Air ioniser - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 29th January 2011, 10:45   #1883
BHPian

Conceptually, they are supposed to clean in a similar manner a vacuum cleaner or a/c works.

A good air purifier is supposed to have a multi-layer filter & other mechanisms:
- Electo Static PRE Filter which traps large dust particles
- HEPA filter which traps <0.3 microns or even lesser size particles like virus/bacteria/smoke etc
- CARBON activated filter to trap odour/smoke/other gases
- UV light to kill bacteria/germs

Ionizer is supposed to generate negative ions which gets attracted to positive ions floating in the air - as such these particles become heavy and can no longer keep afloat in air we breathe. Many reputed brands of air conditioners claim to have these.

Ozoniser is another method of releasing ozone O3 which chemically reacts and breaks into Oxygen O2 - however lot of controversy surrounds the harmful effects of ozone and long term effects. Quite a few refrigerator brands claim to have ozonisers in their models for keeping the inside fresh and odourless.

On googling, came across Atlanta Health Care | Health Care-Air Purifier, Delhi, India, Air Purifier, Ionic Air Purifier, Hepa Air Purifier,Honeywell Air Purifier,L G Air Purifier,UV Air Purifier,Hepa filter Air Purifier,Air Purifier Filter,Alen Air Purifier,ION Air Purifier, based in Delhi, who are importing these machines and re-branding them. They claim to have supplied these to lot of hospitals/companies as well. Maybe Delhi bhpians can have a look/demo of the same and confirm if these are snake oils or actually usefull.
Old 29th January 2011, 11:05   #1884
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Again, that's only one of the things he is referring to - the ion stuff isn't really the proven kind of purifier. The proven kind is a HEPA filter.

HEPA - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
HEPA is the only purifier that will work. In order to work it has to be a part of the "Air Conditioning System", that is the air being cleaned has to be in a closed circuit. Which essentially means that your rooms have to be sealed and air only entering/exiting through the system. Periodically the stale air is scrubbed (impurities absorbed) if it is a true closed system, or bled out and fresh air injected after passing through the filters.

This is fine for "clean rooms" and factories but impractical in domestic environment.
Old 29th January 2011, 11:42   #1885
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I never knew what to make of those, and I still don't. Science or fad? Scientific or not, do they do anything worth while?
Consumer Reports, which I hold in high esteem has time and again proved that it does not work. So, I wouldn't buy that, about Ionizers.
Old 29th January 2011, 12:54   #1886
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Consumer Reports, which I hold in high esteem has time and again proved that it does not work. So, I wouldn't buy that, about Ionizers.
Ionizers will work in a closed air circuit as they revitalise the stale air and zap the bacteria present in air (by generating minute quantities of Ozone). If the outside air is fresh, you get the same effect by keeping your window open to cross ventilate the room! Or get a desert cooler to force flush the air if you want to keep the dust out.
Old 29th January 2011, 14:50   #1887
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Ionizers will work in a closed air circuit as they revitalise the stale air
That's the contentious issue. There doesn't seem to be any proof that they do.
Old 6th February 2011, 12:28   #1888
BHPian

Could someone advise me which is presently the best of the Microwave Ovens.

I plan to buy one having a 25 Lts capacity. Looking a grill/barbecue options as well. Inputs please
Old 7th February 2011, 10:28   #1889
BHPian

Bought LG8040 convection model with 30lts capacity for 11.5k.
(LG MC-8040NSR Microwave Oven - 30 Liters, 76 Auto Cook Menu, 48 Indian Auto Cook Menu, Keypad type control - LG Electronics IN)

Also the LG front loading washing machine 8068LDP is now costing 19.9k
due to price hike. earlier it was for 18k in vijay sales.
So bargained hard and got it for 18k. i am yet to receive the delivery of washing machine.
Old 7th February 2011, 16:45   #1890
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetans View Post
Bought LG8040 convection model with 30lts capacity for 11.5k.
(LG MC-8040NSR Microwave Oven - 30 Liters, 76 Auto Cook Menu, 48 Indian Auto Cook Menu, Keypad type control - LG Electronics IN)

Also the LG front loading washing machine 8068LDP is now costing 19.9k
due to price hike. earlier it was for 18k in vijay sales.
So bargained hard and got it for 18k. i am yet to receive the delivery of washing machine.
You got a good deal on 8068LDP. Do share your exoperience post delivery.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks