Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2011, 12:26   #2011
BANNED

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I think stabiulizers are hyped too much. All appliances are using induction motors, which are very insensitive to fluctuation. As long as you are reasonable sure that the voltage is between 180-255V forget it. I have seen more failure due to stabilizers than from the units. Let me add that for the past 30 or so years I have NOT used stabilizers. If you want to be sure just add a properly rated MCB.
Here in Delhi voltage may go as low as 130 and jump back to 220 in a fraction of a second.
Old 22nd April 2011, 13:10   #2012
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101 View Post
Here in Delhi voltage may go as low as 130 and jump back to 220 in a fraction of a second.
Actually you are better off without a stabiliser. Most of them are electro mechanical and have a low response time compared to surges. I have seen the voltage jump from 160V to 240V instantaneously and the stabiliser which lagged giving 350V+.

The motors can sustain short term fluctuations, but electronics may not. What you need is a surge protector, rather than a stabiliser. A robust "spike buster" with high-low voltage cut off will protect your appliance, while an electro mechanical stabiliser can actually blow it.

In case the appliance is properly designed for Indian conditions, it will have an SMPS for electronics, which not only will work over a wide range, but prevent surges from propagating to the electronics. I have yet to see a computer SMPS blow itself or the desktop/laptop computer in the past ten years.
Old 22nd April 2011, 13:33   #2013
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post

The motors can sustain short term fluctuations, but electronics may not.
That's right. Our Whirlpool refrigerator's electronic unit conked off twice, which according to the technician would have cost us 3500/- each time it was replaced.Thankfully ,we were covered under extended warranty both the time it happened.
Old 23rd April 2011, 14:06   #2014
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Actually you are better off without a stabiliser. Most of them are electro mechanical and have a low response time compared to surges. I have seen the voltage jump from 160V to 240V instantaneously and the stabiliser which lagged giving 350V+.

The motors can sustain short term fluctuations, but electronics may not. What you need is a surge protector, rather than a stabiliser. A robust "spike buster" with high-low voltage cut off will protect your appliance, while an electro mechanical stabiliser can actually blow it.

In case the appliance is properly designed for Indian conditions, it will have an SMPS for electronics, which not only will work over a wide range, but prevent surges from propagating to the electronics. I have yet to see a computer SMPS blow itself or the desktop/laptop computer in the past ten years.
For electronic systems (TV, PC etc.) stabiliser is a waste of money - SMPS supplies take care of all voltage fluctuations - though a surge protector will help (ideally put it on the mains for the house so that everything is protected - surges usually result from stuff going outside your house)

For motor-driven stuff however that may or may not be so. While induction motors usually tolerate supply variation and will not burn out for short duration surges (damage is due to heat, not voltage, and heat accumulation takes time) their power output and rpm does vary with voltage (you can see you fans running faster/slower).
So while the motor itself may not get damaged, other stuff connected to the motor might (read compressor for AC and fridge) if the rpm/kW is too high or too low. That is why it is a good idea to put a stabiliser for the AC/fridge in areas where prolonged fluctuation (long enough that your mother can notice without equipment - this can be as short as a second) is common - even electromechanical stuff will do the job because the damage will take some time (seconds, not minutes, but definitely not microseconds)

By the way, AC supply can not go high/low in anything less than roughly 10ms, simply because of laws of Physics (something called wire inductance) and the fact that we use 50Hz mains (40ms time period). None of the equipment used in a home responds in micro-seconds, not even the UPS systems, because in microseconds the systems can not even figure out that they need to act.

also, in addition to a surge protector (will also save you if in a storm lightening strikes the overhead power disribution so common in India) you may want to install a residual current detector - that will almost eliminate the risk of electrical shocks in the house.
Old 4th May 2011, 11:39   #2015
BHPian

After months of deliberation we bought MW. It was too much headache to have so many options! We bought LG MC - 7840 UL (Rs. 10K). What I don't like in most of MV we get in India is loss of Dials. Some how most MW panels looks like touch phones! It would have easier if usability wise they are just nob type (which is the case in Europe). Here are my take on various brands,

LG: Has tons of variants (largest actually), with minute insignificant changes from one model to other! Colored glass, 156 menu what not. Most of them I believe won't be useful in real time.

Onida: Cost way less than LG, aggressively marketed. But construction quality isn't assuring. Latest MW panels look like UFO landed in your kitchen! Lots of gimmick (like having two grill bulb etc).

Samsung: Biggest USP is having ceramic coating. Cost are also higher side. Very few models.

Why LG? Above model has been certified to be good by family friend! So went with same model. Other than that Samsung didn't had model in 28 ltr, Onida quality wasn't inspiring.
Old 4th May 2011, 13:20   #2016
BANNED

Is anybody using a Siemens washing machine? I wan't to know how are the service costs and does it have any reliability issues.
Old 4th May 2011, 13:30   #2017
BHPian

Quote:
Is anybody using a Siemens washing machine? I wan't to know how are the service costs and does it have any reliability issues.
I assume you are talking about front loading. My friend has it from 7 years, never had a issue! Service cost should be on par with the others. My only gripe was it had smaller doors when compared to other brands. Not sure if now they have wide doors. Apart from it it came only with 5.5kg load. So it wasn't enough for family of two (washing once during weekends).
RaguHolla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2011, 13:48   #2018
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post
I assume you are talking about front loading. My friend has it from 7 years, never had a issue! Service cost should be on par with the others. My only gripe was it had smaller doors when compared to other brands. Not sure if now they have wide doors. Apart from it it came only with 5.5kg load. So it wasn't enough for family of two (washing once during weekends).
Yes I was talking about the front loading one. I guess they make front loading ones only.

I am also thinking of a 5.5 Kg one and i will be using it daily so capacity won't bother me much. I have a 7 year old IFB that has most of its parts replaced and those IFB guys are big time Chors. Their service people also tept you with spurious deals. I will never buy an IFB product ever again.
Old 4th May 2011, 14:34   #2019
BHPian

Quote:
Yes I was talking about the front loading one. I guess they make front loading ones only.

I am also thinking of a 5.5 Kg one and i will be using it daily so capacity won't bother me much. I have a 7 year old IFB that has most of its parts replaced and those IFB guys are big time Chors. Their service people also tept you with spurious deals. I will never buy an IFB product ever again.
@Mustang; Try the LG 5.5Kg. Front Loading Option with digital display. It is a troublefree machine. Been using it daily to wash 2 loads (morning & evening) for the last 3 years with zero maintenance.

Been also using an IFB dishwasher since last 1 year with no complaints till date (keeping my fngers crossed)

For a fridge in the higher capacity, try the LG range twin door (wardrobe style). The Freezer remains chilled even through 6 hour long power outages.

If you are looking at 2-3 appliances, try buying from a reputed store like Croma, who offer substantial discounts / free gifts etc.
Sugeeta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2011, 14:45   #2020
BHPian

My query does not exactly pertain to home appliances, but home enhancement :

Can anyone help me with some useful information on floor tiles.
We find our original marble chip floors to be too dull and need to be polished quite often. Plausible solution seemed to be getting them topped by floor tiles. Based on what I have heard, they can be fixed by an adhesive to the existing flooring.

If any member has done this, please let me if this works well, or the original floor needs to be removed before laying the new floor

Also, how long does it take to complete laying the tiles.

What brands have been used with satisfactory results.

Are they prone to breaking especially in (naughty) children's rooms?

Last edited by Sugeeta : 4th May 2011 at 14:48.
Old 4th May 2011, 14:58   #2021
BHPian

Quote:
Mustang. Dont even think twice and buy a Siemens washing machine. If you can't afford miele (hope thats the spelling), Siemens is the brand for you. I use one and I always knew it will be a trouble free and "silent" experience. Yes, you wont hear this machine working.

No offense but I steer clear of these korean brands LG/Samsung etc. IFB is not what it used to be ever since it became 100% Indian So many IFB owner neighbours come and envy our Siemens.

Though I did not need a "service" in last 2.5 years,I did call their service center ones to get an additional outlet pipe . Call me stupid, but I wanted only a Siemens pipe as extention to already provided pipe however expensive it was . They were quick and corteous.

You will most likely get a "Made in Turkey" machine and trust me it will be worth those few additional rupees you will spend as against LG's and Samsung's of the world.
New.Novice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2011, 15:56   #2022
BHPian

Quote:
We have using it since last 3 years. No problem till date. Usage is alternate day. I found they are sturdier than any other brand and cost premium. Again thankfully its not made in China. We have 7Kg front loading, model Siemens WM-12E160IN .
omishra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2011, 16:41   #2023
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by New.Novice View Post
Siemens is the brand for you. I use one and I always knew it will be a trouble free and "silent" experience. Yes, you wont hear this machine working.

No offense but I steer clear of these korean brands LG/Samsung etc. IFB is not what it used to be ever since it became 100% Indian So many IFB owner neighbours come and envy our Siemens.
True Siemens WM is good and silent, so is LG. If we talk about life of LG vs Siemens, both are same! I am using LG 7KG one from past 7 years without a glitch, and friend is using Siemens without glitch. Noise level are also same! Currently LG has direct drive option (with 10 year engine warranty!) is even more silent! The cost wise LG 7 KG was less expensive than Siemens 5.5 Kg.

Most likely component that goes kaput in WM is panel!
RaguHolla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2011, 16:59   #2024
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugeeta View Post
@Mustang; Try the LG 5.5Kg. Front Loading Option with digital display. It is a troublefree machine. Been using it daily to wash 2 loads (morning & evening) for the last 3 years with zero maintenance.
+1 to that. I think you have LG1056LDP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugeeta View Post
What brands have been used with satisfactory results.
My new home is under construction and I was searching for the correct thread to post query on floor tiles. I checked many tiles (at store and houses) and found following brands are good.

RAK
Johnson

I checked few houses who used above brands and some were done couple of years back and they are good.

Also heard good feedback about Asian Tiles but did not check it.

I decided to go for RAK which I found good quality at reasonable price.

Also I found SOMANY tiles good but do not have any feedback on quality front, so do not have guts to buy :-)

Few things to take care when you buy tiles

1) Check the lot number on the box - Make sure your entire order is from same lot. Even the same design/colour accuracy differ slightly from lot to lot
2) Some dealers take orders and promise you to deliver in x days and never does. My friend faced some issue where dealer delayed it by 15 days.
3) Installation of tiles is bit tricky and workmanship is important. So check with your friends/family circle and find good installer, use 2'x2' tiles.

Marble chips floor looks horrible if not maintained well. Laying tiles on it can be done and have seen many people doing it. But according to me it may not give exactly same result, but can be done really fast. they just need to paste it over the existing floor.

Last edited by Latheesh : 4th May 2011 at 17:24.
Latheesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2011, 17:02   #2025
BHPian

After much deliberation I got a LG 8/4 kg WM & drier. No need to hang the clothes after washing at all if the load is upto 4 kgs and the thing really works. Its silent, got 10 years warranty on motor and works like a charm. Only problem is it takes 4 hours to complete which I consider to be too long. All for close to 42k.

Most Viewed