Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2011, 18:58   #2521
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Question about Tubelights.

What's the best type of tubelight to put in the house? (No CFLs).

I want a 40W one & not a 36W one. I guess that rules out the slim ones.

I have heard that electronic chokes though more efficient break down more often than the non-electronic ones (2-3 years as compared to 6-7 years).

So what's the best type to considering different types of chokes & starters?
CFL is as it says a "compact Tube Light". Ok jokes apart, why a tube light?

The slim ones are more efficient compared to the older thick tube types. You will be surprised at the amount of electricity the so called 40W tube lights consumes - any where fro 55 to 80+ watts, depending on the vintage. CFL are more efficient, and for the same brightness cheaper as a package compared to tube lights which need - frame, choke and a starter, while a CFL needs only the Lamp Shade. Just make sure that you buy a CFL of brightness similar to or more than the tube light you are replacing. In my house I have replaced most of the tube lights. The only ones left are those that are still functioning. The moment they go bad, I replace them with CFL (and a new lamp shade).
Old 14th November 2011, 19:14   #2522
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Question about Tubelights.

What's the best type of tubelight to put in the house? (No CFLs).

I have heard that electronic chokes though more efficient break down more often than the non-electronic ones (2-3 years as compared to 6-7 years).

So what's the best type to considering different types of chokes & starters?
I have got 3 T5's in my house. Remaining are CFLs. T5 consumes 28W and is atleast twice as bright as 2 40W tubelights. The oldest one is about a year old and still going strong. No deterioration in brightness. Price though is quite steep. It set us back by Rs680. Tubes cost a year ago was 110/-

Regards,
Old 14th November 2011, 21:05   #2523
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
CFL is as it says a "compact Tube Light". Ok jokes apart, why a tube light?
CFL's suck. They last far far less than a regular 40W tube light.
I have used a lot of CFL's (branded ones). They have lasted anywhere between 1 to 3 years for me at best.

Quote:

The slim ones are more efficient compared to the older thick tube types. You will be surprised at the amount of electricity the so called 40W tube lights consumes - any where fro 55 to 80+ watts, depending on the vintage.
Don't care. I don't think it will add more than 50Rs to the bill.
Quote:

CFL are more efficient, and for the same brightness cheaper as a package compared to tube lights which need - frame, choke and a starter, while a CFL needs only the Lamp Shade.
I think CFLs also have a choke and a starter - it's just built in.
Quote:

Just make sure that you buy a CFL of brightness similar to or more than the tube light you are replacing. In my house I have replaced most of the tube lights. The only ones left are those that are still functioning. The moment they go bad, I replace them with CFL (and a new lamp shade).
Believe me, I have tried that. It's a loser's game in the long run.
By the way, why do you need a lamp shade?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohit View Post
I have got 3 T5's in my house. Remaining are CFLs.
T5 consumes 28W and is atleast twice as bright as 2 40W tubelights. The oldest one is about a year old and still going strong. No deterioration in brightness. Price though is quite steep. It set us back by Rs680. Tubes cost a year ago was 110/-

Regards,
Nope. Not interested in T5s. Just want regular 40W tube lights.
carboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2011, 21:29   #2524
BANNED

Are LED lights available in a warm yellowish hue? I always buy my CFLs rated at 2700K.
Old 14th November 2011, 23:54   #2525
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Are LED lights available in a warm yellowish hue? I always buy my CFLs rated at 2700K.
Yes, they are available. I recently saw a Philips 5W LED lamp in cool white and warm white versions at a store. I did not note the exact colour temperature of the warm white version though.
Old 15th November 2011, 00:56   #2526
Senior - BHPian

agree with carboy. my experience with CFLs across Philips and Wipro and couple of other local etc has been pretty much crap. 1-2 years tops is all they last under daily usage. Nothing comes close to a quality tube.

My Inalsa Robot 300C has ground down its plastic connector for the chopping jar. Does it claim under warranty or must I go out n get it solved from the aftermarket folks?
Old 15th November 2011, 01:26   #2527
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I don't think you can compare on wattage alone, as the different technologies give different amounts of light per watt.

I would not return to the all-traditional 40-watt tube. The T5s do not flicker when switched on, and cope very well with low voltage.

Having said that, I think that the voltage fluctuation takes its toll in the end, and several of our tubes have not lasted anything like they should.
Old 15th November 2011, 04:36   #2528
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Having said that, I think that the voltage fluctuation takes its toll in the end, and several of our tubes have not lasted anything like they should.
Bombay doesn't have voltage fluctuation like other places in India.
Old 15th November 2011, 11:11   #2529
BANNED

You can also get tubes which are of a warmer (yellowish) colour. These are pretty good, but do take some time to warm up (originally the light is pretty low, and improves gradually). I do not like using normal (white) tubes / CFLs in a domestic environment. Makes me feel that I am in an office.
Old 15th November 2011, 13:09   #2530
Distinguished - BHPian

That I do agree with. In theory, tubes are available in different "shades" (colour temperatures) of white, but in practice, all I seem to be able to get is hard, cold "office" white. I also have to walk past five or six electrical shops that do not stock T5 tubes at all before I come to the one that does.
Old 15th November 2011, 13:48   #2531
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
That I do agree with. In theory, tubes are available in different "shades" (colour temperatures) of white, but in practice, all I seem to be able to get is hard, cold "office" white. I also have to walk past five or six electrical shops that do not stock T5 tubes at all before I come to the one that does.
I love cold white(probably because I grew up that)

When I lived in the USA for few years in rented apartments - everything was incandescent lights & I really hated that cause they give out yellow lights.

Even at home, the bathrooms have incandescent lights & I really hate that.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.
Old 15th November 2011, 15:22   #2532
Distinguished - BHPian

Indeed ... but choice would be nice. The ideal would be 'daylight' temperature, but this seems to only be available for special applications like lighting design departments. I wonder why light tube/bulb designers didn't aim to replicate daylight by default?
Old 26th November 2011, 17:36   #2533
Senior - BHPian

Can someone suggest a good vacuum cleaner? I intend to use it to clean the car floor/carpet and other small stuff. Don't need a big one, a small portable one will do.

I have short listed these-

http://www.eurekaforbes.com/vacuum-c...n-litevac.aspx

and

Philips - MiniVac Handheld vacuum cleaner 900 W - FC6130/01 - Handheld vacuum cleaners - Vacuum cleaners - Household products

A slightly expensive one, is it worth getting this?

Philips - MiniVac Stick vacuum cleaner 2-in-1 900 W - FC6132/02 - Handheld vacuum cleaners - Vacuum cleaners - Household products

Thanks in advnace
Old 26th November 2011, 20:48   #2534
BHPian

We got the delivery of top end model DW SMS69T58EU two days ago. Ordered it on 18th Nov and paid 3K as advance and was promised delivery same day but they were out of stock. Total cost came to Rs 74000 (after negotiation) + 200 for Transport and Helper + Countless hours of time spending watching videos and reviews on Youtube and other sites.

Was initially undecided between Bosch and LG (Bosch got Zeolite* and uses condensation drying while others use heating element. LG got a DirectDrive motor on certain models and even offer Steam based DWs - N/A in India). But the reviews from their loyal users on the net made me get Bosch.

Bosch guy came today and gave the list of TODO (Plumbing and Electric stuff (6Amps) and order Finish complete system - all done) and will have to call them back on Monday for "installation" and demo.

Unpacked it in the morning and found the build quality great. However I found the power cord without earthing pin but instead something different in its place.

*only the top end variant

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohit View Post
DW is priced between 30k and 80k.
2 weeks ago we bought the entry level model for 28.5k from Modern world, Domlur. Wife is loving it.
Now while I just wait for Finish consumables and Bosch guy on Monday, would be interested to know if the power cord on your model come with the earthing pin? Did you attach any European -> Indian converter? We use one for a Kenwood Food Processor European version. The other two pins for this one look like the normal Indian pins.
Old 26th November 2011, 21:21   #2535
Distinguished - BHPian

Like this?

In that case, I think you should cut it off and replace with an Indian plug. Oh... looks like that is planned.

But 6-amp? Is that enough? I'd be happier with 15.

I am not an electrician, just a dabbler --- but a dabbler that tries err on the safe side
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks