Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2012, 14:46   #2701
BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

@ bblost
It's solenoid. However, have you checked if there is any filter at the water inlet. If there is any it may get clogged with dirt and result in "no water flow" situation. Some machines have it, check and clean it out.
Old 24th February 2012, 15:23   #2702
Senior - BHPian

Need a good quality small refrigerator. 165 ltrs or less. Samsung, LG seem to be the standard easily accessible, serviceable ones. Since I am currently in a remote location, can't access any boutique brands as well. Is there any brand I am missing and should consider in this segment ?
Old 24th February 2012, 15:32   #2703
BHPian

There are few other brands you can look at like whirlpool and Godrej which are also good and value for money. Primarily you should stick between these 4.
Dushie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2012, 17:55   #2704
Senior - BHPian

Planning to buy a dishwasher. Have no clue whatsoever on what I need to look for, brands, pricing etc. Please advice!
Old 24th February 2012, 18:04   #2705
BHPian

^^Search this thread for "dishwasher". There is one detailed report by a member.
Old 24th February 2012, 23:28   #2706
Team-BHP Support

The first thing I checked was the filter. It was clean.

The service engineer came home today.
As per him the PCB is busted. A new one costs Rs 800. He said he will bring one and replace it tomorrow.

The machine was purchased in 2008 October for Rs 12,200.

Last edited by bblost : 24th February 2012 at 23:31.
Old 25th February 2012, 16:04   #2707
Team-BHP Support

The PCB was replaced today.

Took less than 10 minutes.
The price is on the high side.
Total including service charges was 1893.
Not the 800, I had mentioned earlier.

As per the service guy, the reason was running two consecutive loads without a resting time.

He recommended that after a full wash, the machine must cool down for at least 45 minutes. Otherwise there is a risk of pcb failure.
Old 25th February 2012, 19:19   #2708
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
The PCB was replaced today.

As per the service guy, the reason was running two consecutive loads without a resting time.

He recommended that after a full wash, the machine must cool down for at least 45 minutes. Otherwise there is a risk of pcb failure.
If machine needs to cool down after a wash, it should be mentioned explicitly in the manual.

Do you generally run consecutive loads without breaks ?

Rohan
Old 25th February 2012, 19:48   #2709
Senior - BHPian

What a load of bull the mechanic is trying to dish out. Our front loading Whirlpool undergoes a heavy drill at-least twice a week when bed linen or curtains etc are washed. This exercise involves continuous wash cycles on 'heavy wash' setting one after the other and repeated rinse cycles within the wash cycle if required. Never had the machine pack up due to overheating.

Quote:

Old 25th February 2012, 21:43   #2710
Team-BHP Support

I don't completely agree with the service engineer.

But on that particular day, we were running a full load immediately followed by another.
The machine packed up within 10 minutes of the new load.

This was the first time, two super clean cycles were being run with no break in between.
A super clean cycle is approximately 1 hour.

I have done a quick wash followed by a super clean cycle, a lot of times, with no issues.
A quick wash cycle is around 25 minutes.

Also on that day in the morning, we were having some voltage issues. The voltage was back to normal by afternoon.

The machine was being used in the late afternoon.

Its possible a sudden spike, blew a circuit. But I am not sure about this.

I am not sure
Old 26th February 2012, 20:07   #2711
Senior - BHPian

That is where the older electro mechanical machines score over the modern computer controlled ones. In spite of all the complaints against IFB, we use our one as hard as any shop - multiple cycles, overloading, low voltage, high voltage ..... The basic cotton cycle is around 1.5 hours, and at least once a week we have two or three consecutive cycles of washing. The machine just chugs along beautifully.

This one of the reasons why I have just hung on to the IFB.
Old 27th February 2012, 10:22   #2712
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't completely agree with the service engineer.

Also on that day in the morning, we were having some voltage issues. The voltage was back to normal by afternoon.

The machine was being used in the late afternoon.

Its possible a sudden spike, blew a circuit. But I am not sure about this.
This seems like a more logical explanation.

A voltage spike is more likely to damage a PCB than running consecutive loads.

Did you examine the removed PCB ? Could you see any burnt/damaged component ?

Rohan
Old 27th February 2012, 18:10   #2713
BANNED

"The Front Loader Experience"

So I went over to mumbai for a week to my good friend's place. And I happen to see a Front Loader in his house. I told him... "Buddy I need to wash my clothes in that thing to see how the results are"

So on day 5 I took some dirty clothes and put them in and set it cotton 80 degrees F.

It set a program of about 1hr 20 mins. There were also a prewash option and several other options. Anyways I saw it in action. I liked seeing the steel drum throwing my clothes up and down. It looks pretty classy. I was impressed by the different speeds employed by the machine at different times of the wash.

So in the end there was a mega super spin which was pretty fast. Then it stopped and I took my clothes out. I liked what I saw an once my clothes were dry I was very impressed. They look cleaner and brighter and fresher than was I get at home.

I'm sure a newer technology Top Loader can also five an equally good excellent wash.

So I've decided to go for Front Loader. I'll put it on top of a raised platform so that it's easy for my parents to put in and take out the clothes.

So guys which are the definitive top 3 brands for a Front Loader ?

Cheers
Old 27th February 2012, 19:17   #2714

Hello speedsathya,

I'm also thinking of buying an air-purifier and your feedback on Euroair Detox will be of great help. Would you recommend this?

Thanks in Advance,

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
Thanks everyone .We ended up buying the Euroair Detox from Eureka Forbes for 11k INR .I wasnt happy with the response of the LG Shoppe to my queries . I thought if this is how it is before I buy ,imagine how would it be later on when I need service .Also the LG guy said air purifiers never sell and they dunno if its manufactured in the factory :O He then said he would get back to me which inspite of repeated calls ,they never got back .
Hence settled for the Eureka Forbes appliance .The finish is not so great and yeah ,it is a rebranded product . It has been continuously on since the last 2 days .I will keep you updated on the performance .
Old 27th February 2012, 23:58   #2715
BHPian

Hello Gang!
Not sure if this is the right place for this post but here goes anyway. We are in midst of constructing a home and have gone in for a false ceiling with spot lighting. We wanted to use LEDs for the spots but the holders and bulbs are very expensive as the product is in it's infancy. The lighting store is recommending Osram PL spot lights, which apparently only consume 1W more than LED's.These are only marginally more expensive than traditional CFL spotlights.

Any feedback on these PL lights and holders? My main concern is availability of holders and bulbs if these are not as popular as CFLs and LEDs.

Cheers,
V

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks