Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2012, 18:40   #2761
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Well, the ones I'm referring to are that cheap! And they have awesome blades. Zero maintenance. They remain sharp for quite a long time - months to years, depending on what you do with them. And at that price you can afford to replace them. Never tried sharpening them. I doubt if there is any advantage of getting pricier and fancier stuff other than bling value.
Are you talking about the Ginsu kind of knives - they are cheap, don't need sharpening. However, the downside is that they aren't that sharp in the first place. However, they are good enough for most regular stuff. You will never see cooks using these kinds of knives. They use regular knives & sharpen them each and every day.

I haven't seen Ginsu knives in shops in India - you could check for them in the "As Seen on TV" kind of websites, Homeshop, StarCJ etc. I have a couple of sets (bought from a As Seen on TV shop abroad - very cheap) and they have lasted for years.
Old 6th March 2012, 20:41   #2762
Senior - BHPian

^^^Nopes, don't think so. As I said these are ordinary inexpensive knives which are usually sold in blister packs. Once in a while I'v been lucky to come across Made in Germany ones and picked them up. Serrated or normal, the blades have been awesome. Otherwise they are look ordinary. Not sure I'd need anything better, but then I'm no cook.

Last edited by Raccoon : 6th March 2012 at 20:43.
Old 7th March 2012, 09:19   #2763
BANNED

I got instant response after my threat. A senior chap from reliance arrived, at 4:30pm at my house. This chap looked like an old timer. It seems that after my complaining he had opened and had a look at the problem of the mounting bungs (or rather extensions) hitting the drum mount. He took out the bungs, and requested me to wait till after Holi and the bolts etc. will be returned. I put some tape to cover the holes temporarily. His comments - your set up is all done so why did they have any problems, and that a lot of new boys with zilch experience have been hired.

@Raccoon; Chef KM010 is almost top of line (only 020) is higher. There is another cheaper line as well. It is indeed amazing that I got 22 years of heavy usage (many times a day, and the maid is also operating it) with no failure. I had bought a spare liquidiser jar (acrylic) and did wear out the blades of both the bases in this period. We were crushing ice, grinding Dosa lentils and rice, the works.

Many of the attachments are the same for both the Chef and cheaper ranges.

Note from Support - Posts merged as the new post was within the 30 min. window of the first post.

Last edited by n_aditya : 7th March 2012 at 11:01. Reason: posts merged.
Old 7th March 2012, 11:48   #2764
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Has anyone used this water filter?
HUL Pureit Autofill Water Filter

I am currently using AquaSure storage water filter (3 years so far) and now looking for a change.
Just thought I would update this post.
We got PureIt Autofill water filter on Saturday itself.
Had called on the toll free number around 3 PM and got a call from someone at 5 PM.
The guy came home at around 6:30 PM and the installation was done by around 7:30 PM (it took about 15 minutes for the actual fitting and installation.)

It has been barely a week, but overall a very positive experience.
This product has got the following features which are really a big plus for us.
1. Auto fill - no need to manually fill in water ever again.
2. Warning indicator - for replacement of germkill kit. So we know it is time to change.

These two things were missing in the earlier product that we used.
The product has many small parts and I am told that they are all available as spares if required. The default kit can filter about 1500 liters of water and based on our usage pattern, it could last 10-11 months.
Old 7th March 2012, 12:02   #2765
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, the ones I'm referring to are that cheap! And they have awesome blades. Zero maintenance. They remain sharp for quite a long time - months to years, depending on what you do with them. And at that price you can afford to replace them. Never tried sharpening them. I doubt if there is any advantage of getting pricier and fancier stuff other than bling value.
I am interested in getting a couple of these. though I dont really need them, I would like to give it a try. Where in Poona did you find them?
Old 7th March 2012, 12:39   #2766
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
I want to purchase a good Food Processor, I don't know what they can be used for but my mother asked me to look for a good one, Please suggest.
I am using Bajaj FX10 for past 4 years and do recommend it. It comes with 5 years warranty on motor, and they really mean it. My motor was changed past year free of charge, excluding the fitting charge of some 180rs.

There is an upgraded model, I guess FX11. Food processor is a one time buy, so don't skimp on it. It is very useful for kneading the atta for rotis, as it saves tremendous amount of time. Other functions are useful too, though in my home it is primarily a mixer with atta kneading tool
ani_meher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2012, 15:55   #2767
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
I am interested in getting a couple of these. though I dont really need them, I would like to give it a try. Where in Poona did you find them?
Erm... now I can't exactly recall but I guess the last time was from a More Store/supermarket here. IIRC I had picked up 2 - 3 pairs and they are still in use. Its possible you may find them in other similar markets like Spencers, etc. I don't think they are regularly available. I'v picked them up whenever I'v seen them. If you don't find them right off, you could try Indian ones made in places like Rajkot (Guj). No, they don't come close to the German blades, but they are the next best thing I'v used. No idea how they compare with the fancier stuff mentioned by others here. They are in the range of 45 - 75 bucks if I recall right. So you could give them a try.

Last edited by Raccoon : 7th March 2012 at 15:56.
Old 9th March 2012, 13:23   #2768
BHPian

Bought a Panasonic top loader WM last week. Had brought it down to Whirlpool & Panasonic, but stuck to the Panasonic when a friend of mine who was working in Godrej told me about the Pana having the best wash quality among the current crop of top loaders & way above Whirlpool which comes even below the Koreans & also the fact that the equivalent model (price) of the Whirlpool didn't have a digital screen in comparison to the Panasonic.
Old 9th March 2012, 14:01   #2769
Senior - BHPian

Samsung RT54FBSL

Bought Samsung RT54FBSL last day for 43k. One hell of a upgrade from the old 220L Comes with the Digital Inverter Compressor and hence 10 year warranty on it..
Attached Thumbnails
The Home Appliance thread-09032012371.jpg  

Old 13th March 2012, 14:43   #2770
BHPian

I am basically looking for a chopper to cut the vegetables like tomatoes ,onion , cauliflower etc .Saw few on StarCJ . are they good. has anybody experienced them . currently i am using grinder / mixer but that turns everything to a thick paste and than cannot be used for chopping vegetables like cauliflower , carrots .

STAR CJ Internet Shopping Mall

Old 13th March 2012, 15:27   #2771
Distinguished - BHPian

You might be able to use your mixie for chopping, rather than turning stuff to a paste, if you just give very short bursts.

Generally, though, I'd use a knife and chop by hand.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2012, 16:47   #2772
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sushilkumar View Post
I am basically looking for a chopper to cut the vegetables like tomatoes ,onion , cauliflower etc .Saw few on StarCJ . are they good. has anybody experienced them . currently i am using grinder / mixer but that turns everything to a thick paste and than cannot be used for chopping vegetables like cauliflower , carrots .

You should also look at kenwood Mini chopper, it has 2 speed control not present in others.
Old 13th March 2012, 16:58   #2773
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Erm... now I can't exactly recall but I guess the last time was from a More Store/supermarket here. IIRC I had picked up 2 - 3 pairs and they are still in use. Its possible you may find them in other similar markets like Spencers, etc. I don't think they are regularly available. I'v picked them up whenever I'v seen them. If you don't find them right off, you could try Indian ones made in places like Rajkot (Guj). No, they don't come close to the German blades, but they are the next best thing I'v used. No idea how they compare with the fancier stuff mentioned by others here. They are in the range of 45 - 75 bucks if I recall right. So you could give them a try.
My experience has been awesome with the Crystal serrated blade stuff sold in most supermarkets - really long lasting. atleast an year +. and 45 bucks apiece makes it truly VFM. How do these german ones compare to crystal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
You should also look at kenwood Mini chopper, it has 2 speed control not present in others.
Dadu and sushil,
I would recommend a black n decker chopper for 2.5k available in croma. All these cheap 1.5k ones have one of two issues:
a. Cheap gearbox (the exact word they use)that can wear out with the slightest abuse. Inalsa's Robot 300C is terrible on that count. Personal experience
b. Impractically small. You cannot use more than half the bowl capacity - 400ml jar means <200ml usable volume. You just cannot fill it up like a regular mixie. If you do so, the gearbox wears out in 30 seconds. Personal experience again.

Get a nice big one, or don't get one at all.
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2012, 16:59   #2774
BHPian

I am facing a weird problem in the new house we moved into. Whenever we switch on the geyser (2000W) and dishwasher (2000W) together, the meter trips. Same goes for any combinations of AC, geyser, washing machine and dishwasher. The houser owner says that it is a 3-phase connection and it shouldnt happen.

Please help me find out what is going wrong. Dont know much about electricity and meters so please explain in detail if you can.

TIA,
Pallavi
Old 13th March 2012, 17:20   #2775
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sushilkumar View Post

Sushil,

I have been using a Nova chopper for the past 3 years and it is one of the best things i purchased on a whim

I can chop onions, cabbage, carrot etc without turning them to mush. Very useful when preparing lunch during the early morning rush.

I would suggest you opt for a good brand of vegetable chopper than those shown in infomercials and avoid Star CJ like plague.
Pallavi is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks